View Full Version : 1960's small newspapers

OKCexpat
09-04-2021, 08:54 PM
As a kid, I rode my bike and delivered the weekly Oklahoma City Advertiser. At the time, it had the best local TV listings for that week. A bit of digging...they were located at 17 NW 3rd. I went there a time or two and it was a funky/gritty facility with the printing press and office. I can still recall watching the press operators melt down the lead type from the previous week's edition. In those days a Linotype machine created the lines of type in "slugs" of lead that were installed into the press. I still wonder if those workers ended up with lead poisoning! Google street view now shows that address as an apartment/condo development.

Later in the 60's, a weekly paper aimed at the OKC teens was The Last Word. I wrote music related articles for them when I was at PCHS. When I moved from OKC in 2014, I found a pile of yellowed copies that I had saved for decades.....still have them and scanned a few articles into PDF.

ctchandler
09-10-2021, 07:40 PM
I delivered the Capitol Hill Beacon, the Oklahoma Journal, and last the Daily Oklahoman and the Oklahoma City Times.
C. T.

mugofbeer
09-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Delivered the Daily Oklahoman one summer.

Small newspaper - Guffey's journal. Covered OKC business news.