View Full Version : Macy's may come to Oklahoma City

Pages : [1] 2

mranderson
09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Federated department stores announced it is retireing the name of one of their department stores and will use the Macy's name by the end of this year.

The chain is Rich's. I am not sure where it is located. This could mean the Federated stores in Oklahoma City will be renamed Macy's sometime in the future. That will automatically upscale them.

One can hope. This may also be the reason Macy's has not considered Oklahoma City.

Patrick
09-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately, I contacted Federated earlier today, and they toldme that their Foley's chain would remain in tact.

brianinok
07-14-2005, 09:03 AM
(from OKC Business)

Federated Shareholder vote likely means Macy's stores coming to Oklahoma in 2006
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Shareholders of Federated Department Stores, Inc., which includes the Macy's and Bloomingdale's department store brands, today approved the company's proposed merger with The May Department Stores Company, which includes the Foley's department store brand.

About 81 percent of shares outstanding, representing more than 99 percent of votes cast at Federated's annual meeting of shareholders, voted to authorize the issuance of Federated common stock pursuant to an agreement and plan of merger between the two companies.

Earlier this year, Federated's chief executive, Terry J. Lundgren said, no division consolidations or store name changes would occur, post-merger, before 2006. However, he said it is likely that most of May's regional department stores, like the Foley's stores operating in Oklahoma, ultimately will be converted to Macy's.

"We have had considerable success in re-branding our own regional stores as Macy's, so obviously we anticipate continuing this strategy to some extent with our new stores," he said.

Contingent on completion of the antitrust review of the transaction by regulators, Federated officials indicated today that they continue to believe the merger with May will close in the third quarter of its 2005 fiscal year.

Federated, with more than 450 stores in 34 states, has corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York and has annual sales of more than $15.6 billion.

However, once the merger is complete, Federated will operate more than 950 department stores, along with approximately 700 bridal and formalwear stores. In addition, 15 new states, mostly in the nation's heartland in states like Oklahoma, will be layered onto Federated's existing 34-state operating base, with relatively little overlap between the companies' locations.

This will give Federated, Lundgren today said, a truly national retail footprint for the first time in the company's history and result in it having stores in 64 of the nation's top 65 markets.

"As we have stated before, the combined company will be an exciting organization - a fashion retailer with about $30 billion in sales and truly national scope and presence. The road ahead for Federated is very exciting and presents us with an opportunity to transform our industry in a way that will benefit customers from coast to coast."

__________________________________________________ _____________

I hope that they actually convert the stores to Macy's rather than just change the name. Foley's is okay, but Macy's is on another level completely.

Rev. Bob
07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Read closely: "However, he said it is likely that most of May's regional department stores, like the Foley's stores operating in Oklahoma, ultimately will be converted to Macy's.

I bet MOST doesn't include Crossroads. I can't see a Macy's at Crossroads.

brianinok
07-14-2005, 09:14 AM
If Federated had another brand besides Macy's and Bloomingdale's (a step below them), I would think a conversion to that brand at Crossroads would happen. But since they don't, it is very possible (even likely?) that Crossroads will lose that anchor. However, if that location is profitable for Foley's, and if they own the building (and not Crossroads), I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay.

mranderson
07-14-2005, 09:40 AM
If Federated had another brand besides Macy's and Bloomingdale's (a step below them), I would think a conversion to that brand at Crossroads would happen. But since they don't, it is very possible (even likely?) that Crossroads will lose that anchor. However, if that location is profitable for Foley's, and if they own the building (and not Crossroads), I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay.

Federated DOES own the building. All anchors except Steve & Barry's own their buildings. Federated could lease it to someone, or sell it to the mall.

My guess is no Macy's in Crossroads. Class and gangbangers do not mix, and Federated will see that.

travich
07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Wow.

Decious
07-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Federated DOES own the building. All anchors except Steve & Barry's own their buildings. Federated could lease it to someone, or sell it to the mall.

My guess is no Macy's in Crossroads. Class and gangbangers do not mix, and Federated will see that.

I haven't seen any gangbangers at Crossroads, nor have I heard of any recent gang related shootings there. So, who exactly are you referring to when you say gangbanger?

mranderson
07-14-2005, 01:22 PM
I haven't seen any gangbangers at Crossroads, nor have I heard of any recent gang related shootings there. So, who exactly are you referring to when you say gangbanger?

Odd. Everytime I go into that Mall, I see gang bangers. What do YOU think a gang banger is? (the only way I can respond)

Decious
07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Odd. Everytime I go into that Mall, I see gang bangers. What do YOU think a gang banger is? (the only way I can respond)

An individual who participates in gang related activity such as gang banging. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

mranderson
07-14-2005, 01:35 PM
An individual who participates in gang related activity such as gang banging. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

Exactly. THOSE are the types I see every time I walk into that mall.

Decious
07-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Exactly. THOSE are the types I see every time I walk into that mall.

No you don't. You see people that you think fit the description of what you think a "gangbanger" looks like.

Pete
07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Macy's is definitely a cut (or two) above Foley's, so that's good news for OKC.

Maybe we'll get a Bloomie's, too.

rxis
07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
It wasn't too long ago when I used to hang out at the mall and I don't think most of the kids there are affliated with gangs. I didn't even know that word was still used..hehe

Just a lot of American kids being American kids like a lot of us used to behave at that age.

venture
07-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Well it could be worse...it could be overran like Penn Square and Quail Springs by a bunch of them homosexuals with their expensive tastes and disposable incomes. LOL

Eh kids are kids. Crossroads just attracts a lower income level than the other malls do. Crossroads was never horrible, just a higher percentage of young adults hang out there. No different than Sooner with the college kids...or how about any mall, with those darn loiterers that just walk around in circles!

fromdust
07-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Shareholders of Federated Department Stores, Inc., which includes the Macy's and Bloomingdale's department store brands, today approved the company's proposed merger with The May Department Stores Company, which includes the Foley's department store brand.

About 81 percent of shares outstanding, representing more than 99 percent of votes cast at Federated's annual meeting of shareholders, voted to authorize the issuance of Federated common stock pursuant to an agreement and plan of merger between the two companies.

Earlier this year, Federated's chief executive, Terry J. Lundgren said, no division consolidations or store name changes would occur, post-merger, before 2006. However, he said it is likely that most of May's regional department stores, like the Foley's stores operating in Oklahoma, ultimately will be converted to Macy's.

"We have had considerable success in re-branding our own regional stores as Macy's, so obviously we anticipate continuing this strategy to some extent with our new stores," he said.

Contingent on completion of the antitrust review of the transaction by regulators, Federated officials indicated today that they continue to believe the merger with May will close in the third quarter of its 2005 fiscal year.

Federated, with more than 450 stores in 34 states, has corporate offices in Cincinnati and New York and has annual sales of more than $15.6 billion.

However, once the merger is complete, Federated will operate more than 950 department stores, along with approximately 700 bridal and formalwear stores. In addition, 15 new states, mostly in the nation's heartland in states like Oklahoma, will be layered onto Federated's existing 34-state operating base, with relatively little overlap between the companies' locations.

This will give Federated, Lundgren today said, a truly national retail footprint for the first time in the company's history and result in it having stores in 64 of the nation's top 65 markets.

"As we have stated before, the combined company will be an exciting organization - a fashion retailer with about $30 billion in sales and truly national scope and presence. The road ahead for Federated is very exciting and presents us with an opportunity to transform our industry in a way that will benefit customers from coast to coast."

from okcbusiness.com

brianinok
07-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Federated: 330 May Stores to Become Macy's Thu Jul 28,10:06 AM ET

CINCINNATI - Federated Department Stores Inc. said Thursday that some 330 stores being acquired in its pending takeover of May Department Stores Co. will be converted to Macy's stores.

Among the nameplates that will be gone as of fall 2006 are Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's, company spokesman Jim Sluzewski said.

Cincinnati-based Federated also announced plans to sell 68 stores, 27 of them currently Federated stores, in 2006. The conversions will bring the total number of Macy's stores nationwide to 730, the company said.

"Macy's emerged as a premier national retailer in March 2005, when we changed Federated's regional department store nameplates," Terry J. Lundgren, Federated's chairman, president and chief executive officer said in a statement. "We will continue that process in 2006 by converting many of May Company's regional store nameplates to Macy's."

The company said it is still studying the Marshall Field's name, which represents 60 stores. Federated also said it would maintain the Lord & Taylor name, currently on 58 stores.

Federated repeated an earlier pledge not to eliminate any jobs before next March 1. All May stores will operate under their existing nameplates through this year's holiday shopping season.

Shareholders of Federated and St. Louis-based May approved the $11 billion takeover this month. Federated expects the merger to close in the third quarter, following completion of regulatory review.

Shares of Federated rose 40 cents to $76.17 in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange, near the high end of its 52-week range between $42.80 and $77.25.

__________________________________________________ _______________

It doesn't say anything about closing some stores. But I would be surprised if they didn't.

brianinok
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I just found this, and it doesn't mention any Oklahoma Stores as being closed.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Federated to divest 41 May stores; none in area
Thursday July 28, 1:01 pm ET

Federated Department Stores Inc. said Thursday it plans to convert about 330 May Department Stores locations into Macy's stores in 2006, and divest at least 41 May Co. stores in 12 states.
None of the May stores slated for closing or sale are in Missouri or Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT

The conversion, a part of the pending merger between New York and Cincinnati-based Federated (NYSE: FD - News) and St. Louis-based May Department Stores Co. (NYSE: MAY - News) will make 730 the total number of Macy's stores.

Terry Lundgren, Federated's chairman, president and chief executive said the change came as a result of high customer demand for the type of shopping they find in the Macy's stores.

In fall of 2006, Famous-Barr locations in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri and The Jones Store locations in Kansas and Missouri will be renamed to Macy's. All the May Co. stores will keep their nameplates at least through this year's holiday shopping season, Federated said.

The Lord & Taylor name will remain, Federated said, and a decision about the Marshall Field's name has not yet been made.

St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay said he and Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt were working with Federated to keep the downtown Famous-Barr store open and restructure it as a Macy's. He said his goal is to keep many of the May Co.'s front office and creative jobs in St. Louis as possible.

Federated said 68 locations in 66 malls will be divested starting 2006 to eliminate duplication, including 41 May stores and 27 Federated stores. The closings include one Famous-Barr store, in Evansville, Ind.; seven Filene's stores; one Hecht's store; five Kaufmann's stores; one L.S. Ayres store; eight Strawbridge's stores; 16 Robinsons-May stores; and 27 Macy's stores.

Published July 28, 2005 by the St. Louis Business Journal

okieopus
07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
I love how certain people love to group individuals who may dress differently or have less money in big groups. So far people have made broad generalizations about "gangbangers" "bums" "liberals"...

Grouping people together like this is not only rude and tacky its just plain ignorant.

KatyaR
07-28-2005, 02:04 PM
This might be of interest:

"The number of Macy's stores nationwide will rise to some 730 while retail shopping names such as Foley's, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's will disappear next year under plans outlined today by Federated Department Stores Inc. for its pending takeover of May Department Stores Co.

Besides converting some 330 May stores to Macy's, Federated plans to sell off 68 stores where the two companies have duplicate locations, 27 of them currently operated as Macy's, including three stores in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The changes announced Thursday will eliminate all May nameplates except Lord & Taylor and Marshall Field's."

I can't post the url, but it's on the Statesman's website in the business section.

Looks like we might get a Macy's after all.

Patrick
07-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Looks like we'll be getting three of them, Crossroads, Penn Square and Quail Springs.

BDP
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Looks like we'll be getting three of them, Crossroads, Penn Square and Quail Springs.

Or one of them, with the other two being sold, right? Or I guess 2 of them, with one of them being sold.

I'm thinking we get at least 1 though.

brianinok
07-28-2005, 04:21 PM
"Federated said 68 locations in 66 malls will be divested starting 2006 to eliminate duplication, including 41 May stores and 27 Federated stores. The closings include one Famous-Barr store, in Evansville, Ind.; seven Filene's stores; one Hecht's store; five Kaufmann's stores; one L.S. Ayres store; eight Strawbridge's stores; 16 Robinsons-May stores; and 27 Macy's stores."

It does not say anything about divesting any Foley's stores. So that tells me that all 3 Oklahoma City Foley's stores will be converted to Macy's. It appears that they have already identified all store they will be divesting-- none in Oklahoma. So, Oklahoma City should have 3 Macy's and Tulsa should get 2.

BDP
07-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Ahh, yes, but see, to fully understand it, as you do, brian, I would have had to have read both articles. ;)

Jay
07-29-2005, 12:44 AM
This was from Newsok.com

Federated to drop nameplates, sell stores
By DAN SEWELL
AP Business Writer

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Macy's will replace locally familiar names including Filene's in New England and Famous-Barr in the Midwest in some 330 stores across the nation under post-merger plans announced Thursday by Federated Department Stores Inc.

Federated also plans to sell 68 stores, including 27 current Macy's, next year because they overlap in markets with the company Federated is buying, May Department Stores Co. The stores employ 13,500 people, but Federated spokesman Jim Sluzewski said he expected "very few, if any" layoffs and that most workers would be offered other jobs.

Federated has pledged not to cut any jobs before March 1.

Ten May nameplates will be eliminated in fall 2006, Federated said as the Cincinnati-based company laid out what it has in store after its takeover of rival May becomes final. Federated says May's Lord & Taylor name, now on 58 stores, will stay, and that it's studying the Marshall Field's name. A Chicago landmark, there are 60 Marshall Field's stores.

"We respect that May Company's regional store names are deeply rooted in their communities, we appreciate the heritage and traditions associated with those names, and we expect to continue to play an important role in the communities where our customers live and work," Terry Lundgren, Federated's chairman, president and chief executive, said in a statement. "At the same time, we also have learned from our own experience converting Federated's regional nameplates. Our customers tell us ... that's what inside a store - the merchandise, the service, the people, the shopping environment - is what matters most."

The changes mean Macy's will have a total of 730 stores across the U.S. in nearly every major market. Federated's decisions followed research into customer attitudes.

Federated in March dropped such long-established names as Burdines in Florida, Rich's in Atlanta and Lazarus in Ohio in favor of Macy's. Robert Passikoff, president of Brand Keys Inc., a New York-based customer research marketing firm, said the conversion to Macy's "makes a lot of sense not only from the economic and communication point of view, but facing up to the realities of the marketplace."

He said there's always risk in changing well-known names, but that the regional names no longer have as much impact as they did decades ago while the Macy's name has a national identity with its stores and the annual Thanksgiving Day parade.

"Macy's has a lot of currency and a lot of resonating values," Passikoff said.

The current Federated and May stores have a combined $30 billion in annual sales. Federated said the 68 stores being sold account for $2 billion in annual sales.

All May stores will operate under their existing nameplates through the holidays. Federated said the plans may be adjusted, and that a small number of stores may be converted to Bloomingdale's.

The May regional department stores involved in the conversion are Famous-Barr, Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, The Jones Store, Kaufmann's, L.S. Ayres, Meier & Frank, Robinsons-May and Strawbridge's. Filene's Basement stores aren't owned by May and are unaffected. The Famous-Barr name dates to 1911 in St. Louis, May's corporate headquarters.

In Pittsburgh, where the Kaufmann's name dates to 1871, some shoppers weren't happy at the news.

"I do not like Macy's," said Laura L. Lapcevic, 39, who works near the 11-floor downtown store and shops there at least once a week. She worries Macy's prices will be higher. "Kaufmann's has good bargains."

Nick Jordanoff, 70, who bought shorts and a pair of Docker's pants at Kaufmann's, considers the store a piece of Pittsburgh history.

"Corporate conglomerates," he said. "You know they are taking over the world."

Shareholders of both companies approved the takeover this month. Federated expects the deal to close in the third quarter, following completion of regulatory review.

Shares of Federated rose 47 cents to close at $76.24 on the New York Stock Exchange Thursday, where May shares rose 18 cents to $41.08.

Jay
07-29-2005, 12:49 AM
My money is on Crossroads Foley's Closing. I think Macy's will close the Crossroads store due to a lack of upscale stores and upscale traffic. If it does stay open I could see Macy's turning the Crossroads store to a closeout/outlet store.

Pete
07-29-2005, 08:04 AM
As I stated before, the Macy's concept and standard is at least one step up from Foley's. They are pretty nice stores.

My hope is that they Crossroads does get a Macy's (seems very likely) and that provides some good upward momentum for them to do a renovation and upgrade their tenants.

And I also hope that Macy's brings one of their more up-scale concepts to town, like Lord & Taylor or Bloomingdales. Either would be a good fit for Quail or Penn Square.

PUGalicious
07-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Crossroads need to have something positive happen. It seems to me it's on its last leg. If they can't land something like this, I can't see it surviving many more years.

mranderson
07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
As I stated before, the Macy's concept and standard is at least one step up from Foley's. They are pretty nice stores.

My hope is that they Crossroads does get a Macy's (seems very likely) and that provides some good upward momentum for them to do a renovation and upgrade their tenants.

And I also hope that Macy's brings one of their more up-scale concepts to town, like Lord & Taylor or Bloomingdales. Either would be a good fit for Quail or Penn Square.

"Upward momentum" starts with an owner that cares. Crossroads has no such owner. They act like a company that is interested in a capitol loss deducation on their income tax, and not one who cares about their client base.

I will stop by Macy's, and they may be fine in Crossroads. However, it is not the ownership that will guide the success. The ownership would do the opposite.

brianinok
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Does someone have access to the Journal Record's article on this? It appears to be more than just a wire story, like all the rest that have been posted.

Patrick
07-30-2005, 08:57 AM
From the Journal Record, 7-29-2005

"Next year, Foley's is out, Macy's is in

7/29/2005

OKLAHOMA CITY (JR) - It had been suspected since last spring, and now it's official: The Foley's stores in Oklahoma City and Tulsa will become Macy's by fall 2006.
Officials at Federated Department Stores announced on Thursday their plans to change the nameplate of many of the stores that will be acquired through a pending merger with The May Department Stores.

Included are the Foley's stores in Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico and Texas.

Foley's has local stores at Crossroads Mall, Penn Square Mall and Quail Springs Mall, and two stores in Tulsa at Promenade and Woodland Hill.

Federated Chairman, President and CEO Terry J. Lundgren said about 330 stores will be converted to Macy's when the merger becomes official. The addition of stores will bring the total Macy's count to about 730.

May has several regional names for its stores across the country, including Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's, The Jones Store, Kaufmann's, L.S. Ayres, Meier & Frank, Robinsons-May and Strawbridges.

"We have chosen to proactively announce our decisions as they are made so that our intentions are clear," Lundgren said. "This decision to expand the Macy's brand was based on careful study and new research on customer preferences in May Company communities."

Lundgren said May stores, including those in Oklahoma City, "are deeply rooted in their communities. We appreciate the heritage and traditions associated with those names, and we expect to continue to play an important role in the communities where our customers live and work."

The company expects success from the acquired stores, Lundgren said. "Macy's emerged as a premier national retailer in March 2005 when we changed Federated's regional department store nameplates."

Federated has reported annual sales of nearly $16 billion and currently operates 450 stores under the names Macy's and Bloomingdale's."

Jay
07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I think Macy's arrival in OKC will mean a major explosion in high-end retail. I think for years many companies have overlooked OKC just because of the bubba reputation that has been tied to us. Eventually OKC will have all the retail stores that Dallas has.

I would not be suprised if another mall is built or another expierences a major expansion.

My money is on Quail Springs, they could either expand to the north or expand into a parking lot and build parking garages to replace the lost parking.

Penn Square might even decide to expand into existing parking and expand tbe parking garage.

Crossroads will probably just keep complaing about the traffic flow problem.

kielaaron
07-31-2005, 04:02 AM
I've been living in California for over 2 months now and I'm more than happy to say that I'm out of Oklahoma and its community of spiteful judgmentality. Quite a few people on this board should learn to just live their own lives and be happy to simply be breathing... quit watching and labeling other people. Can't say I'm too surprised to see some people still acting like lonely old coots.

Best wishes to those who can remain respectable human beings. Greetings from CA btw, the weather here is great!

kt

PUGalicious
07-31-2005, 06:55 AM
Dang, some of y'all are just turds... I've been living in California for over 2 months now and I'm more than happy to say that I'm out of Oklahoma and its community of spiteful judgmentality. Quite a few people on this board should learn to just live their own lives and be happy to simply be breathing... quit watching and labeling other people. Can't say I'm too surprised to see some people still acting like lonely old coots.

So happy to finally come back online and see that ol' Mr A and Co. are sill up to codginess...

Best wishes to those who can remain respectable human beings. Greetings from CA btw, the weather here is great!

kt

Not sure where that come from, but then again I'm new to the board.

California has more than its fair share of problems, especially with that governor of yours. I'll agree that many in this state tend to be close-minded and living in an alternate reality, but I'll take this city with its reasonable cost-of-living and manageable traffic anyday.

Having lived in several cities in several states, and visiting many more, OKC may not be the most beautiful (or comfortable) place to live, but it has its own unique qualities that make it a nice place to live.

BTW, the above reference post seemed to be a little of the pot calling the kettle black.

images/Smailies%2001-28-08/poke.gif

Karried
07-31-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm more than happy to say that I'm out of Oklahoma and its community of spiteful judgmentality.

You have one person mention gangbangers and the whole state is labled now? One person's prejudice shouldn't reflect on all of us here in OK.

There are thousands of posts on this board where race, class or sexual persuasion is never mentioned but this one makes our state judgemental?

I hope you are not perpetrating this image to your new friends in CA - it's not fair to the rest of us.

I lived in CA for 40 years so I know there is tons of prejudice people there as well, they just hide it better. But you will find it everywhere.

Keith
07-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I've been living in California for over 2 months now and I'm more than happy to say that I'm out of Oklahoma and its community of spiteful judgmentality. Quite a few people on this board should learn to just live their own lives and be happy to simply be breathing... quit watching and labeling other people. Can't say I'm too surprised to see some people still acting like lonely old coots.

kt
This must be your lucky day, because, instead of deleting your spiteful post, I did some heavy editing instead. I would have deleted it, however, since Scribe and Karried posted a defense for okctalk and for the great citizens of OKC, I am leaving it for now. You have every right to post, just please stay on topic and please....no name calling. It is uncalled for.
:backtotop

BDP
08-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm more than happy to say that I'm out of Oklahoma and its community of spiteful judgmentality.

which is ironically followed by:

quit watching and labeling other people

I lived in CA for years and I love it. I love the people, mainly its mix of people, perspectives, and attitudes. It's as diverse as its geography. However, if you think it's void of spiteful and judgmental people, then you have not been there long enough or you are in a very isolated environment. Oklahoma does have its problems with intolerance and lack of perspective, but to say those things define the community as a whole is very, well, spiteful, judgmental, and as inaccurate as saying California is without these problems.

mranderson
08-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I have an idea. Why not just start a thread about the last four or five posts, and get this one back to Macy's and Oklahoma City? What a novel concept that would make... Staying on topic.:bright_id

venture
08-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Or perhaps this thread has just run its course and it is time to say good night. There really isn't any else to be said about Foley's going to Macy's until we get closer to the transition and have a clearer idea on the level of product that will actually be offered.

Karried
08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
A lot of times in a thread, discussions lead to other posts related but not strictly staying with the original wording of the post -

Macys - Gangbangers - Oklahoma Prejudice - Defense of Oklahoma

I think we stayed on topic following the natural course of the discussion.

venture
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Well I guess from that point of view we have stayed on topic. LOL

As far as the last 4 or so posts go...Oklahoma is actually more open minded an accepting than several of the places I've lived before. I've had numerous friends of various minorities and it is amazing how much better they are treated here than anywhere else. It will be amazing to see the comments from people when the gangbangers are replaced with members of our fairly substantial gay community here in OKC. I'm sure the comments will be flying when the first couple is seen holding hands through these, potentially more upscale stores - much like what I witnessed at Bricktown this weekend.

BDP
08-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Why not just start a thread about the last four or five posts, and get this one back to Macy's and Oklahoma City?

I know... a conversation almost broke out! That was close... :tweeted:

Karried
08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
:LolLolLol
Lol - sometimes you just have to laugh!

Bricktown was awesome this weekend by the way - so many people, I loved the Reggae Festival and just enjoyed seeing the hundreds of people out enjoying the mild weather. I wish the media had been covering a story.... oops I got off topic - again. Sorry

Macys-Gangbangers-Oklahoma Prejudice-Defense of Oklahoma-Acceptance of others-Bricktown couples- Reggae Festival-Media coverage (now if they were only out covering our new Macys in Bricktown, I'd be fine!)

BDP
08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I wish the media had been covering a story....

I think I saw a blurb on the Reggae fest on some local news station when I was at a store somewhere. It's pretty amazing how local news can make something as cool as Reggae fest look lame. I'm bummed I missed it this year, though. It's always a good time.

Almost forgot... Macy's Rules!

Luke
08-02-2005, 10:39 PM
With every major and mid-major market getting a Macy's in the next year, I don't think that helps OKC in the upscale retail department. We need a Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor or Neiman Marcus to come in.

Penn Square is the mall most likely to pull one of these. The leadership there needs to put their heads together and come up with a creative way to add retail space at Penn Square. I say they should expand into a parking lot and just build parking garages to make up for the lost parking lot. Expensive? Yes, but with an abundance of new floor space (maybe even expanding to 3 or 4 floors in a new wing) there would be an abundance of new income. After all isn't there a waiting list to get into Penn Square?

Luke

adaniel
08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
To reply to the last post, unfortunatley Lord & Taylor is in bad shape. They recently just decided to close all of their Texas stores so I would assume that they're jittery about this part of the country. Nordstrom's isn't doing much better. My bet is on Neimans but where would they put in on Penn Square? The demographics for that area are ideal for a luxury store but a Penn Square location just doesn't seem realistic given the fact that it is so built in. Neimans should consider builing a freestanding store or one that would anchor a small shopping center with upscale stores. Maybe somewhere along the 63rd or Penn Avenue corridor?

brianinok
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I drove by Quail Springs Mall today and noticed that the Foley's signs were taken down. I guess that means that the Macy's conversion is now in full swing there. Anybody see if the same things is going on at Penn Square and Crossroads?

sweetdaisy
05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Although I haven't seen any signage change at Penn Square just yet, when I was in there yesterday, the salesgal I spoke with said the changes will be happening very soon. Didn't think to get a time frame, though.

Can't wait for the conversion!!!

Shake2005
05-18-2006, 09:39 PM
The signs will change early fall from what I heard, product revamp has restarted already

OklaCity_75
05-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I think its safe to say it is happening soon.

I tried to go to the Foley's website and I found this:

http://www.foleys.com/gifts/OnlineShopping/FO?Dsp=1&cm_id=hdr_logo

metro
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Usually when a company merger does this. It means it's 6 or so months out from being complete nationwide. Hopefully we'll be on the front in rather than the latter end. They want to start building the Macy's brand before it actually takes completion in the market.

Patrick
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Everyone make sure to get a picture of the Macy's signs at Crossroads. You might want to show your kids someday. LOL!

Luke
05-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Is it there already?

Karried
05-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Macy's is popular in Calfornia - I used to shop there quite often - it's pretty similar to Foleys/Dillards in price and selection.

John
05-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I'd put MACY'S in between Dillard's and Nordstrom.

Definately an improvement from Foley's.

I always laugh at the Red Apple Sale. It used to be like a one or two time a year occurance, but now its like every other month or something. Much like 'Ford Truck Month'. When is it not? ;)

brianinok
05-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Macy's is much better than Dillard's or Foley's. While Macy's carries much of the same things, Macy's always has my size in virtually everything (I am short and skinny). Not to mention, Macy's also carries a few nicer product lines that Foley's and Dillard's do not. Also, their stores are typically nicer and more organized.

HOT ROD
05-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Macy's is definitely a cut (or two) above Foley's, so that's good news for OKC.

Maybe we'll get a Bloomie's, too.

I'd like to see the focus/emphasis for upscale/target stores (like Bloomies) downtown, not at any mall in OKC.

HOT ROD
05-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Federated: 330 May Stores to Become Macy's Thu Jul 28,10:06 AM ET

CINCINNATI - Federated Department Stores Inc. said Thursday that some 330 stores being acquired in its pending takeover of May Department Stores Co. will be converted to Macy's stores.

Among the nameplates that will be gone as of fall 2006 are Famous-Barr, Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's, company spokesman Jim Sluzewski said.

Cincinnati-based Federated also announced plans to sell 68 stores, 27 of them currently Federated stores, in 2006. The conversions will bring the total number of Macy's stores nationwide to 730, the company said.

"Macy's emerged as a premier national retailer in March 2005, when we changed Federated's regional department store nameplates," Terry J. Lundgren, Federated's chairman, president and chief executive officer said in a statement. "We will continue that process in 2006 by converting many of May Company's regional store nameplates to Macy's."

The company said it is still studying the Marshall Field's name, which represents 60 stores. Federated also said it would maintain the Lord & Taylor name, currently on 58 stores.

Federated repeated an earlier pledge not to eliminate any jobs before next March 1. All May stores will operate under their existing nameplates through this year's holiday shopping season.

Shareholders of Federated and St. Louis-based May approved the $11 billion takeover this month. Federated expects the merger to close in the third quarter, following completion of regulatory review.

Shares of Federated rose 40 cents to $76.17 in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange, near the high end of its 52-week range between $42.80 and $77.25.

__________________________________________________ _______________

It doesn't say anything about closing some stores. But I would be surprised if they didn't.

I just cant see them renaming Marshall Field's flagship store in downtown Chicago. Im certain that will NOT happen!!!

Patrick
05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Is it there already? Nope not yet.

metro
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I went to the Foley's store this weekend at Penn. As someone said, the product selection is slowly changing. The full transition should be complete by the middle of September is what they are aiming for. Also, the dirt is being moved on Cheesecake Factory. I took pictures of all of this. I'll try and put them in my gallery tomorrow.