View Full Version : Memorial and MacArthur

metro
11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know what these new sites are on the SW side of the road are. The Starbucks has been open for awhile and there is a bank under way but there are several other pad sites moving

Pete
11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I think that's the future location of the theater chain that is also opening in Moore.

brianinok
11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
The bank is Legacy Bank! That's where I work! :)

jbrown84
11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
The Warren Theatres are really nice, but it just seems crazy to me to have another major theatre just 3 miles down the turnpike from AMC.

I'd rather see a smaller art-house theatre as part of a shopping village type development. Although downtown is probably a better place for that.

Pete
11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Here's an article that talks about plans for a theater at that location and I'm pretty sure they are talking about Warren (www.warrentheatres.com):

Homeowners irked by plans for movie theater

By Tricia Pemberton
Business Writer

Some residents near Memorial Road and MacArthur Boulevard are opposed to a developer's plans to build a 20-screen theater on the southwest corner of the intersection.

The developer promises, however, the theater will be upscale and unlike anything else currently in the Oklahoma City market.

"Several neighborhoods are opposed to this," said Greg Schmidt, who lives on Mayberry Place in the Northlake subdivision, directly behind the building site.

"The traffic over there is bad now," he said. "The car wrecks at the intersection are unbelievable."

He's also concerned with the noise and how the theater will look.

"I'm kind of disappointed that that's what that site is being used for. I think there would be better uses for the community, more upscale retail maybe, like Spring Creek (Plaza) in Edmond," Schmidt said.

Krista Pippin, another Mayberry Place resident, said she'd like something nicer to look at and more time-controlled than a movie theater.

"We're worried about crime that might come with late-night movies," she said.
Bob Stearns, with developer Sooner Investment Co. that is planning the $25 million site with partners under the name Westlake Development Co., said the site already is zoned for a theater; the issue is only the size.

"We want to put in a large, upscale theater, unlike anything we have in the market now," Stearns said.

Plans also call for additional retail and restaurant space, he said. He would not disclose which theater company or other tenants are being considered for the site.

Stearns said the group is attempting to get a special exception from the city to build a larger-than-average theater.

"We're trying to build a nicer theater than what we'd be allowed to build. We could put a Wal-Mart there, but we have to get a special-use permit to build a bigger theater," he said.

Bob Tener, an Oklahoma City planner, said the property is zoned commercial, which can include a theater, but with capacity of more than 500 patrons, a special exception is required.

Before the exception is granted, however, affected homeowners are invited to a public hearing where they will be given an opportunity to voice their concerns, Tener said.

metro
11-08-2005, 08:31 AM

"I'm kind of disappointed that that's what that site is being used for. I think there would be better uses for the community, more upscale retail maybe, like Spring Creek (Plaza) in Edmond," Schmidt said.

While I too would love to see more upscale retail instead, its funny these same people fussing allowed an ugly Braums across the street from Gaillardia with a 15-20 ft. high sign, same as with the bank and Starbucks. Ridiculous!

Pete
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Because like too many citizens, they aren't concerned about how things look or what's best for the community, just limited self-interest of not wanting noise and traffic in their immediate neighborhood.

Most people in OKC are completely oblivious and unconcerned about such things as signage and landscaping.

The only exception is east Edmond and again, that's just the local residents pitching a fit. The same people are fine with any crappy fast food place or car dealershp with a 50 foot sign on the westside or on Broadway. I see very few people ever acting out of concern of the community -- just their neighborhood.

Patrick
11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I'll remind you that Warren Theaters had been considered or Bricktown. It's a more upscale theater concept with a bar, dining, etc.

jbrown84
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM
A Warren would have been nice in Bricktown.

Malibu, I wasn't saying it's not a Warren Theatre, I just said it seems crazy to build a theatre that close to AMC. It may very well be planned though.

HOT ROD
11-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Here's an article that talks about plans for a theater at that location and I'm pretty sure they are talking about Warren (www.warrentheatres.com):

Homeowners irked by plans for movie theater

By Tricia Pemberton
Business Writer

Some residents near Memorial Road and MacArthur Boulevard are opposed to a developer's plans to build a 20-screen theater on the southwest corner of the intersection.

The developer promises, however, the theater will be upscale and unlike anything else currently in the Oklahoma City market.

"Several neighborhoods are opposed to this," said Greg Schmidt, who lives on Mayberry Place in the Northlake subdivision, directly behind the building site.

"The traffic over there is bad now," he said. "The car wrecks at the intersection are unbelievable."

Krista Pippin, another Mayberry Place resident, said she'd like something nicer to look at and more time-controlled than a movie theater.

"We're worried about crime that might come with late-night movies," she said.
Bob Stearns, with developer Sooner Investment Co. that is planning the $25 million site with partners under the name Westlake Development Co., said the site already is zoned for a theater; the issue is only the size.

"We want to put in a large, upscale theater, unlike anything we have in the market now," Stearns said.

Plans also call for additional retail and restaurant space, he said. He would not disclose which theater company or other tenants are being considered for the site.

Stearns said the group is attempting to get a special exception from the city to build a larger-than-average theater.

"We're trying to build a nicer theater than what we'd be allowed to build. We could put a Wal-Mart there, but we have to get a special-use permit to build a bigger theater," he said.

Bob Tener, an Oklahoma City planner, said the property is zoned commercial, which can include a theater, but with capacity of more than 500 patrons, a special exception is required.

Before the exception is granted, however, affected homeowners are invited to a public hearing where they will be given an opportunity to voice their concerns, Tener said.

I Hope It's a LOEWS Cineplex. http://www.loewscineplex.com/theatres/usa.cfm

They are upscale and would be a great addition to the OKC marketplace! Excellent competition for AMC and its new IMAX concept in OKC.