View Full Version : Restaurant worker shortage

Pete
07-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Oklahoman is reporting that Happy Plate Concepts (Sunnyside Diner, S&B's Burger Joints 59th Street location, Taqueria El Camino, and Railyard Pie Company) is setting their minimum wage at $18/hour.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2021/07/12/oklahoma-city-restaurant-firm-guarantees-workers-earn-18-hour-employees/7900335002/

Even though that is yet another PR piece by the Oklahoman masquerading as news, lots of other restaurant groups are raising wages as well.

Rover
07-12-2021, 10:12 AM
I have a relative that owns a popular restaurant here. They haven't had a problem because they have always taken care of their employees with fair treatment and pay. Businesses that took care of their employees like they should have aren't having the same problems as chains and others who rode the backs of their employees. It's a simple formula. If you make a product and service worth paying a fair amount for you should be able to afford to take care of the people who make it happen.

PoliSciGuy
07-12-2021, 10:22 AM
Yep, absolutely. After all the arguing we had about a $15 minimum wage, the pandemic is gonna make that the de facto starting point for anyone wanting to hire. And overall, workers benefit.

David
07-12-2021, 10:59 AM
It's been interesting to observe which restaurants are having staff problems and which aren't. A month or two back I went to IHOP at Classen Circle a couple of weeks in a row on Sunday morning, terrible staffing problems to the point where it was a wait to seat purely based on them having almost no staff to work the floor. But then after that a few weeks of Uncle Julio's in that same Sunday window and it was staff overload. Couple weeks past that and ate at a Cracker Barrel, and had a wait to be seated based on staffing problems.

It's getting to be a good tell for how well restaurants are run with respect to taking care of their people based on their staffing shortage or lack thereof.

Pete
07-12-2021, 11:09 AM
It's getting to be a good tell for how well restaurants are run with respect to taking care of their people based on their staffing shortage or lack thereof.

It was a tell before the pandemic, now well amplified.

Another big tell is how happy the employees seem to be at any restaurant, retail or service location. This really shines at a place like Costco which has always taken very good care of its staff. Or even counter-service places like Tucker's (Good Egg Group).

emtefury
07-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Braums is definitely suffering from my experience going there recently. Probably not a surprise to those on this forum though.

FighttheGoodFight
07-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Braums is definitely suffering from my experience going there recently. Probably not a surprise to those on this forum though.

Everyone I knew who worked their in high school said it was miserable. They always paid the 5.15 minimum wage. I'd rather work anywhere else besides Braums for minimum wage (back then).

SEMIweather
07-12-2021, 04:15 PM
I’ve seen a few signs in Braum’s drive-thru windows that they’re offering $10/hour and thought to myself that Braum’s paying above minimum wage is surely a sign of the apocalypse lmao.

Teo9969
07-12-2021, 07:47 PM
Oklahoman is reporting that Happy Plate Concepts (Sunnyside Diner, S&B's Burger Joints 59th Street location, Taqueria El Camino, and Railyard Pie Company) is setting their minimum wage at $18/hour.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2021/07/12/oklahoma-city-restaurant-firm-guarantees-workers-earn-18-hour-employees/7900335002/

Even though that is yet another PR piece by the Oklahoman masquerading as news, lots of other restaurant groups are raising wages as well.

How are they doing this with FOH staff? Just guaranteeing that wage for the staff after tips or are they going to a restaurant collects the tips model as was a popular topic of debate pre-pandemic and was being attempted in a few larger metropolitan areas.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
07-12-2021, 08:17 PM
Paywall- are they offering benefits as well?

Mean wage in OKC is $24.04.

3/4 mean wage jobs are are still qualifying for government subsidies in some programs, depending on household size.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_36420.htm

mugofbeer
07-12-2021, 08:29 PM
It's been interesting to observe which restaurants are having staff problems and which aren't. A month or two back I went to IHOP at Classen Circle a couple of weeks in a row on Sunday morning, terrible staffing problems to the point where it was a wait to seat purely based on them having almost no staff to work the floor. But then after that a few weeks of Uncle Julio's in that same Sunday window and it was staff overload. Couple weeks past that and ate at a Cracker Barrel, and had a wait to be seated based on staffing problems.

It may not happen as fast as it should but the market generally takes care of itself. The well-run local places can be nimble and move faster than larger chains which have their own problems, but l do worry about Mom and Pop's being driven out of business.

Rover
07-12-2021, 08:40 PM
A
It may not happen as fast as it should but the market generally takes care of itself. The well-run local places can be nimble and move faster than larger chains which have their own problems, but l do worry about Mom and Pop's being driven out of business.
Mom and Pops that give value and treat their staff well are and will survive and prosper. Those that don’t will ultimately fail. There is no magic in being local. They still need to be good and valuable providers.

mugofbeer
07-12-2021, 08:59 PM
Well, that's true but it's also normal. Businesses always open and close. It's just the risk of artificially giving chains even more of an advantage over M&Ps.

Rover
07-12-2021, 09:14 PM
A
Well, that's true but it's also normal. Businesses always open and close. It's just the risk of artificially giving chains even more of an advantage over M&Ps.

Not following.... what is the artificial advantage you are saying exists?

Swake
07-12-2021, 10:18 PM
I’ve seen a few signs in Braum’s drive-thru windows that they’re offering $10/hour and thought to myself that Braum’s paying above minimum wage is surely a sign of the apocalypse lmao.

Pre-pandemic when I would go through the Braums drive-through by my work, the older lady usually at the window had a "shift-manager" name tag but was invariably rude and slow. Her arms were full of prison tats just as a bonus. It has always seemed Braums never paid anything and would hire anyone with a pulse.

Jeepnokc
07-12-2021, 10:31 PM

IHOP and Cracker Barrel will have a lower per person average and lower checks (especially because hey don't serve alcohol) than Uncle Julios. Higher PPA and checks equals higher tips. Thus your average take home wages from tips will be higher.

soonermike81
07-13-2021, 06:14 AM
Mom and pops are definitely going to feel the squeeze.