View Full Version : Lebanese Food Festival

metro
11-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Did anyone make it out to the Lebanese Food Festival this weekend?? Man it was pretty good, especially for the first year!! I got some good cheese Talami! A Lebanese bread. And who says OKC doesn't have cultural diversity, in the last month there has been a Greek Fest, a intercultural parade and festival, a Lebanese festival, and a Hispanic Day

MadMonk
11-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Aww man! I love Lebanese. I didn't hear anything about it though so I missed it. :(

soonerguru
11-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Damn! I wish I would have known about that! I love Middle Eastern food!

HOT ROD
11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
OKC has excellent diversity. We should start a forum where we can post/keep up on events, especially those that emphasize the cultural diversity we have in the city.

Asian (Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, filipino. Taiwanese, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian), Indian, Middle Eastern (Lebanese, Persian, Jewish/Israeli, Egyptian), Hispanic (Mexican, Brasillian, Colombian, Peruvian), Etheopian, Nigerian - all have pretty sizeable to absolutely enormous populations in Oklahoma City. Most people probably dont realize how diverse OKC is. It would be nice to celebrate our diversity and enjoy it - get the word out!

Besides, all of the food options and culture only makes OKC a more progressive community as we learn, appreciate, and enjoy the good from all parts of the globe. Not to mention, most international cuisine is delicious!!!

HOT ROD
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Did anyone make it out to the Lebanese Food Festival this weekend?? Man it was pretty good, especially for the first year!! I got some good cheese Talami! A Lebanese bread. And who says OKC doesn't have cultural diversity, in the last month there has been a Greek Fest, a intercultural parade and festival, a Lebanese festival, and a Hispanic Day

OKC also had a Moon Festival (fall/autumn festival) - which is Chinese and observed by many asians [for those not in the know :) ]. I love moon cakes!!! Mmmmmm

metro
11-07-2005, 03:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aww man! I love Lebanese. I didn't hear anything about it though so I missed it.

How did you guys miss it, I posted it on OKCTalk, it was the main topic of my downtownokc blogspot page that replaced the downtownguy's blogspot, they also took out full page and partial page ads in the Daily Oklahoman for like a week.

HOT ROD
11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, Im in Seattle (metro, I assume you meant our colleagues in OKC).

But seriously, it would be great if we had a calendar or other venue where we could post happenings in the city. I mean, there is so much going on here that often does not get publicized (or at least, early enough - for people like me in other cities).

I'd love to come to the city when an event is going on, and I'm sorry but a front page the DAY the event is happening just does not give someone like me enough time to plan an impromptu vacation to Oklahoma City - nor does it probably for even the normal citizens to arrange time on their schedules to attend.

I do hope the city gets better at promoting its diversity cosmopolitan events and heritage but in the mean time, a calendar/forum would be very very nice!!!

metro
11-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes HOTROD, I realize there are exceptions for people not living in this state or region but I'm talking about for people who live here there was plenty a notice. I emailed it to downtownguy to put on his site several days before the event, the Oklahoman had at least one page or half page adds if not several throughout different sections of the paper a good week or more in advance. I also posted it on this site a day or two before the event. Anyhow, I agree it would be nice for people out of town like you or busy professionals like me to plan in advance, perhaps you can get a calander started??

soonerguru
11-08-2005, 10:06 AM
If they bought ads in the Oklahoman, that's why I missed it. I only read it online, and for events and culture, the Gazette is where I read.

They probably would have saved some money and gotten better results by advertising in the Gazette.

I won't miss it next year!

What kinds of foods did they have? Falafel? Schwarma?

metro
11-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I didnt see falafel, they had two types of talami, meat pies ( i forget the name) , baklawa not (baklava), cabbage rolls, baklawa sundaes, and other stuff. They also had a little market place with jewelry, clothing, and more and a bake sale with other goods

MadMonk
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
How did you guys miss it, I posted it on OKCTalk
Must have missed it.

, it was the main topic of my downtownokc blogspot page that replaced the downtownguy's blogspot,
Don't read that one.

they also took out full page and partial page ads in the Daily Oklahoman for like a week.
I only read the Sunday Oklahoman and I guess I missed the ad if it was in there.

I suppose I need to be beaten over the head with a "Lebanese Food Festival" sign two weeks ahead of time in order to get the message. ;)

metro
11-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro

How did you guys miss it, I posted it on OKCTalk

Must have missed it.

Quote:

, it was the main topic of my downtownokc blogspot page that replaced the downtownguy's blogspot,

Don't read that one.

Quote:

they also took out full page and partial page ads in the Daily Oklahoman for like a week.

I only read the Sunday Oklahoman and I guess I missed the ad if it was in there.

I suppose I need to be beaten over the head with a "Lebanese Food Festival" sign two weeks ahead of time in order to get the message.

I'm sorry but I can't force everyone to read every post and site. Its your own choice what you want to read

MadMonk
11-09-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry but I can't force everyone to read every post and site. Its your own choice what you want to read
Jeez! What's your problem? I'm not blaming you. Calm down or we can take it outside. :fighting3

:LolLolLol

metro
11-09-2005, 01:18 PM
sorry man, i didnt mean it so harsh but your email seemed to pick apart my email like it was my fault you didn't know about it. I can only do so much about informing people

keving
11-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I also did not hear anything about it and I have been frequenting The Magic Lamp quite often in the past month and a half (been craving kafta, schwarma and loubieh). They didn't have anything posted either.

keving
11-22-2005, 10:27 PM
By the way, where was it held? Also, is this a yearly event held around the same time every year?

Thanks!

John
11-24-2005, 03:32 AM
By the way, where was it held? Also, is this a yearly event held around the same time every year?

Thanks!

It's held at St. Elijah's Orthodox Christian Church, located at the SEC of May & 150th. It is usually around the 1st weekend of November.

Their website is www.stelijahokc.com There are pictures of this years festival on the site, check it out.

metro
01-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok folks, I know they just had one a couple months ago but looks like they are having another, don't say you didn't know about it because here it is:

Lebanese Music and Food Festival
Sunday, January 29th at 5pm
St. Elijah Antiochal Christian Church
15000 N. May, OKC OK
405-525-6551
www.stelijahokc.com

keving
01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
thanks metro

escan
01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I may have missed it....but didn't see it referenced on their website.

MadMonk
01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Sweet. Thanks!

The Old Downtown Guy
01-26-2006, 01:52 PM
BTW, You can enjoy great Lebanese food any time M-S 9-6 for lunch, catered at your next shindig or take home at Med Deli. It's on the east side of May Avenue at about 56th Street; kind of a difficult location to figure out how to get to until you have been there a couple of times, but well worth the effort. Nice selection of import foods, great olives, fresh Humus Tahini, herbs and spices, dried fruits, big deli case etc. The owner is Atif Asal; fabulous guy; donates lots of food to non-profit events like 12 X 12 etc.

Don't be in a hurry when you go in there. Slow down and enjoy your non-fast food lunch or standing in the grocery check-out line, munching on samples from the deli case, chatting with other customers and sharing recipes. This place is the real deal. The ODTG reccomends that you take home a few slices of Manchaego cheese and some Mortadello with pistachio nuts.

keving
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Let's also not forget about The Magic Lamp at 7429 N May Ave. which is near the SW corner of N May Ave and NW Grand Ave.

Good chicken shawarma, kafta, hashwi and more.

The Old Downtown Guy
01-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Also excellent keving. I try to stop in there at least once a month. There are several good (mol hole in the wall) spots around the area to grab a bite to eat and some very good locally owned, first class restaurants to patronize for dinner, it's a shame to every walk into a franchise location.

keving
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
There are several good (mol hole in the wall) spots around the area to grab a bite to eat and some very good locally owned, first class restaurants to patronize for dinner, it's a shame to every walk into a franchise location.

ODG, I totally agree with you. I only go to franchises when dragged by friends/coworkers. Of course, they put up with me dragging them to locally owned establishments.

metro
10-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone the Lebanese festival is going on this Friday-Sunday at St. Elijah's St Elijah OKC - St Elijah Oklahoma City (http://www.stelijahokc.com). There was a special section on it in today's Oklahoman. Looks like a larger selection of food than last year. I attended last year and it was a good cultural awakening experience for me. Definitely a different kind of food to experience.

Too bad I forgot to post (and no one else mentioned) that the Greek festival was last weekend.

ChristianConservative
11-01-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about this "cultural awakening" experience. I went with a friend to a divine liturgy at St. Elijah and actually left quite irritated with their faith. This obviously isn't a thread to discuss the faith of the Eastern Orthodox religion, but I'd be interested in knowing how it's awakened you from a cultural perspective.

MadMonk
11-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Sounds good. I may even be able to make it this year. Thanks for the heads-up.

metro
11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Okay, perhaps it was a bad choice of verbage. I just meant it opened my eyes to another community here in OKC. It didn't do anything for me spiritually. I enjoy getting to know other cultures and trying their cuisine. Other than that the "awakening" was nothing more. Anyhow, I know a lot on this site were disappointed of a late notice last year so I posted it as soon as I saw it in the paper.

traxx
11-02-2006, 01:28 PM
What do Lesbians eat anyway?:boff:

ChristianConservative
11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
What do Lesbians eat anyway?:boff:

Homosexuality has nothing to do with this topic. Stop diverting the thread.

Back to topic, thank you metro for explaining what you meant by awakening. I may try to make the festival, if for no other reason, than for the "cultural experience." Do they mention religion at the event, because if so, that's not what I'm looking for? Some churches tend to have events, only to preach to those that attend. I'd rather not subject myself to that.

John
11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
They offer church tours on the hour, I believe.

I'd highy recommend it if you haven't seen the inside of St. Elijah's. You'll get to see the amazing artwork and learn some history about the religion and their traditions/practices. By no means 'preaching'.

traxx
11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Homosexuality has nothing to do with this topic. Stop diverting the thread.

Back to topic, thank you metro for explaining what you meant by awakening. I may try to make the festival, if for no other reason, than for the "cultural experience." Do they mention religion at the event, because if so, that's not what I'm looking for? Some churches tend to have events, only to preach to those that attend. I'd rather not subject myself to that.

Sorry CC. I was just in a funny mood yesterday. Didn't mean to divert the thread. I just figured they must eat something, look at Rosie O'Donnel.
**takes GI Joes and goes home**:Smiley099

metro
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Its that time of year again for the annual Lebanese Food Festival. Enjoy entrees, breads, cookies, cakes and homemade goods.

What: 2007 Lebanese Bake Sale and Food Festival

Where: St. Elijah Orthodox Christian Church
15000 N. May
When: Friday and Saturday Nov. 16-17

Contact: 405-755-7804 or St Elijah OKC - St Elijah Oklahoma City (http://www.stelijahokc.com/)

http://www.stelijahokc.com/images/homepage/homepage.jpg