View Full Version : Icon Cinemas

jerrywall
05-20-2021, 08:17 PM
I hadn't seen this talked about anywhere. I saw on Facebook today that Kickingbird Cinema will be reopening as Icon Cinemas. I believe they're a family owned chain out of New Mexico.

http://www.iconcinemas.com

Their website doesn't have a whole lot of information, but it looks like they'll be upgrading the seating at the minimum. This is only 3 miles or so from Showbiz Cinemas so it will be interesting to see how it competes.

Kickingbird was one of my first jobs, so it will be interesting to see what they do with the place.

FighttheGoodFight
05-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Place probably needed an upgrade. Used to go there as a kid all the time. Had interurban for dinner after!

Pete
05-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Here is the sign that is out front. Kickingbird Cinema has been closed since March 2020.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon2.jpg

jerrywall
05-21-2021, 09:16 AM
At first I thought this might just be an upgraded second run cheap theater, but looking at their other locations, it appears at least some of them sell beer and wine, plus have large arcade/entertainment areas. That combined with the seating makes me think they'll be going head to head against Showbiz.

It also appears they offer free refills on popcorn and soda during the visit.

FighttheGoodFight
05-21-2021, 09:27 AM
Wow looks really nice. We have the small AMC in Norman now so it definitely slowed my trips to the Warren. I basically only went to the Warren for IMAX movies.

Celebrator
05-21-2021, 11:49 AM
It will still do well even with ShowBiz just about two miles away. This premium-ish approach to movies has been a smart niche to fill...as well as showing some older movies on the big screen for the first time in decades, which seems like a brilliant idea to me. There really is something great about seeing a movie you already know and love on the big screen for the first in a long time or for the first time ever! With so many new movies coming out today, you really don't know what you are going to get and you risk a pretty good pocket of cash for a night out to go and not like the film much. Mixing it up with tried and true titles I think is a smart way to diversify your offerings and attract more people. And the comfy seats and untraditional food and beverage options don't hurt either! This is good news for this corner of Edmond.

Plutonic Panda
05-21-2021, 12:21 PM
This will be very nice for the neighborhood. I’ve yet to go to showbiz but I plan to change that soon as there a lot of good movies coming up. They have shut down the Arc Light cinemas for good in LA. I’m very excited for the unlimited popcorn and drink refill. Pacific Theatres at The Grove has the same thing and I was wowed for some reason as theatres love to charge the price of a kidney for such things.

It’d be cool while they renovate to add a rooftop bar and grille above the cinemas.

Pete
05-22-2021, 07:07 AM
I really wish they'd take over the cinemas at Northpark.

And/or the Warren in MIdwest City.

Plutonic Panda
05-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Northpark seems like a no brainer.

Pete
04-10-2022, 01:25 PM
This cinema still has not been reopened.

It was almost a full year ago that Icon Cinemas posted the "coming soon" sign.

Ginkasa
04-10-2022, 02:14 PM
It looks they've listed an Oklahoma City location as "Coming Soon" in addition to the Edmond location, but they don't give anymore information on where that'd be.

Pete
04-10-2022, 02:16 PM
It looks they've listed an Oklahoma City location as "Coming Soon" in addition to the Edmond location, but they don't give anymore information on where that'd be.

ICON Windsor Hills (https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46742&p=1193575#post1193575)

Ginkasa
04-10-2022, 02:33 PM
ICON Windsor Hills (https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46742&p=1193575#post1193575)

Ah, assumed it would have been in this thread so didn't even both to search. My bad. Thanks!

BoulderSooner
07-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Here is the sign that is out front. Kickingbird Cinema has been closed since March 2020.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon2.jpg

construction has started at this location

Pete
07-27-2022, 09:48 AM
^

Thanks.

They had started some time ago and then stopped.

I suspect they are doing this in conjunction with the other Icon remodel at Windsor Hills.

Pete
09-06-2022, 05:33 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422c.jpg

jdross1982
01-03-2023, 07:52 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon090422c.jpg

Can we discuss just how ugly the paint color they chose for this is?

fortpatches
01-03-2023, 08:39 AM
Why is grey and black ugly?

BoulderSooner
01-03-2023, 08:54 AM
Can we discuss just how ugly the paint color they chose for this is?

Why is grey and black ugly?

that is primer not the final look

Pete
01-03-2023, 09:02 AM
I'll get out to the Edmond location when they are close to opening and take a ton of photos.

MagzOK
01-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Though I can't exactly remember what it looks like now, when we drove by one day last week the sign was completed and the painting was done and I don't remember it being ugly.

jdross1982
01-03-2023, 11:27 AM
The last several times I have driven by it has been a bright blue color with grey and the rest of the development is the red brick. Just stands out quite bad.

jdross1982
01-03-2023, 11:28 AM
I will post pics when I drive by today.

Celebrator
01-03-2023, 11:55 AM
The last several times I have driven by it has been a bright blue color with grey and the rest of the development is the red brick. Just stands out quite bad.

Yeah I live close by and the look is bad. The signage and paint scheme just looks cheesy...dated even. Not retro. Dated.

jdross1982
01-03-2023, 12:58 PM
Yeah I live close by and the look is bad. The signage and paint scheme just looks cheesy...dated even. Not retro. Dated.

Exactly! Very hard to believe this was approved.

onthestrip
01-03-2023, 01:19 PM
Exactly! Very hard to believe this was approved.

Because colors and personal tastes arent something usually regulated by city code? Im not saying it looks great or not (havent seen it) but just because something is of a look you dont personally like doesnt mean its not allowed.

jdross1982
01-03-2023, 05:33 PM
The colors are sent before the planning commission and other committees along with the rest of the plans before approval.

chssooner
01-03-2023, 07:22 PM
Imagine having to pick a color that appealed to 700,000 people...

SEMIweather
01-03-2023, 09:38 PM
Imagine having to pick a color that appealed to 700,000 people...

The good news is, it would only have to appeal to 100,000 people as opposed to 700,000. The bad news is, it would have to appeal to 100,000 people in Edmond.

LakeEffect
01-04-2023, 08:15 AM
The colors are sent before the planning commission and other committees along with the rest of the plans before approval.

No, they aren't. Color is not a consideration.

I do agree, it's gross, but nothing we can do about it.

jdross1982
01-05-2023, 06:55 AM
No, they aren't. Color is not a consideration.

I do agree, it's gross, but nothing we can do about it.

Interesting. The colors just do not fit this at all!

scottk
01-05-2023, 05:38 PM
This cinema complex is a part of the larger Kickingbird Shopping Center in Edmond.

When it was Kickingbird Cinema it followed the same red brick, green and tan trim that matched the rest of the shopping center.

Did Icon Cinema purchase the cinema complex, much like a department store typically owns their store when in a mall, or is it being leased out like the other businesses in this strip center?

I would be surprised that it would be the latter, as the owner/operator of the strip center would want a standardized look.

Pete
01-05-2023, 06:34 PM
^

Icon is leasing the Edmond location but owns Windsor Hills.

The same landlord owns the rest of Kickingbird Square.

SEMIweather
01-05-2023, 09:21 PM
The owner/operator is not going to force a standardized look at the cost of having a large portion of the strip center sit vacant for an extended period of time.

MelOK
01-09-2023, 08:23 AM
Because colors and personal tastes arent something usually regulated by city code? Im not saying it looks great or not (havent seen it) but just because something is of a look you dont personally like doesnt mean its not allowed.

_______ I took a couple of photos of it the other day. The building is an icy gray with light cobalt blue trim. The bright Red neon logo sign stands out, as it should. I don't think it's terrible... but perhaps they plan to update the rest of the complex with the same icy gray paint instead of vanilla._______

I would post a photo, but I am not sure if I am allowed, as I am new here.

Mel

Pete
01-09-2023, 11:59 AM
^

Thanks for the offer.

I'll get out there and take photos soon, as they are nearing their opening date.

Pete
03-12-2023, 08:51 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon031123a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon031123b.jpg

scottk
03-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Yikes, surprised this renovation made it past the Edmond Planning Commission. It definitely stands out, especially compared to the rest of the shopping center. Can't say I have seen a movie theatre post Dippin Dots and Ice Cream as a "feature" on the exterior. That's usually reserved for IMAX or DolbyVision, etc.

Either way, Edmond proper has 100,000 people, and this will serve a segment of the population that doesn't care for the drive or the size of Showbiz or AMC Quail.

BoulderSooner
03-15-2023, 07:19 AM
Yikes, surprised this renovation made it past the Edmond Planning Commission. It definitely stands out, especially compared to the rest of the shopping center. Can't say I have seen a movie theatre post Dippin Dots and Ice Cream as a "feature" on the exterior. That's usually reserved for IMAX or DolbyVision, etc.

Either way, Edmond proper has 100,000 people, and this will serve a segment of the population that doesn't care for the drive or the size of Showbiz or AMC Quail.

what would the planning commission have to do with it?

scottk
03-15-2023, 08:02 AM
what would the planning commission have to do with it?

Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc? Certain parts of Edmond have various code enforcements regarding height of signage, materials used etc.

This Icon Cinema has a stark contrast to everything around it, which is primarily a dark red brick, including the shopping center it is in, the Homeland across the street, the Midfirst Bank and CVS on the east side. Just surprised they were able to get the design approved.

When the renovation of Bryant Square occurred a few years ago, the City was very active in the design plans, traffic flow through the parking lots, and allowed the developer the sign variance on the existing structure at 2nd and Bryant since it was already standing.

BoulderSooner
03-15-2023, 08:35 AM
Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc?

generally no

jerrywall
03-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Speaking of signage (and this is a bit of a non-sequitur) but I really miss the big marquees at movie theaters that lists the currently showing films. I know with the internet it's really not needed, but to me that's always part of the look and feel of a theater, but I notice the new ones don't do that anymore. It's really striking with something like Flix Brewhouse, who is so visible from Broadway extension - why not list the movies on a giant marquee on the side of the building? It makes it really clear it's a theater.

onthestrip
03-15-2023, 10:37 AM
Doesn't the Planning Commission approve exterior design, signage, etc? Certain parts of Edmond have various code enforcements regarding height of signage, materials used etc.

This Icon Cinema has a stark contrast to everything around it, which is primarily a dark red brick, including the shopping center it is in, the Homeland across the street, the Midfirst Bank and CVS on the east side. Just surprised they were able to get the design approved.

When the renovation of Bryant Square occurred a few years ago, the City was very active in the design plans, traffic flow through the parking lots, and allowed the developer the sign variance on the existing structure at 2nd and Bryant since it was already standing.

I think this was discussed up thread. Planning Commission doesnt have a say on colors, nor do they generally have a say in design. Signage is dictated by code and they either didnt violate it or got a variance. Its mostly based on how big of a wall its going on, and seeing how big the theater exterior is, they probably are within code for the signage. Heaven forbid they have a decent sized sign letting drivers know they're there. Ill agree on the white paint not being a great look but again, styles and designs are up to the owner, not the planning commission or citizens.

Pete
03-15-2023, 11:44 AM
It's a movie theater, not a clothing boutique.

Think about every theater around town... Do any of them blend in with their surroundings? Even the AMC at Quail springs has a completely different exterior than the rest of the mall.

The new owners are making a huge investment and bringing a dead cinema back to life. If I was them, I'd want to make it stand out as much as possible.

And it's just gray, not neon pink and orange. I had expected much worse after seeing all these complaints.

Pete
05-09-2023, 08:31 AM
They are now open:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon050923a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon050923b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon050923c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon050923d.jpg

Just the facts
05-09-2023, 11:22 AM
Seating looks pretty nice. Now if someone could just invent a handheld laser capable of frying someone's cell phone when they turn it on during the movie.

Pete
06-29-2023, 06:59 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/icon062823a.jpg

traxx
07-22-2023, 06:08 PM
Went to see Dead Reckoning there. I couldn't get good seats at Showbiz so I thought I'd try this out.

Not a fan. For it to be newly refurbished, it looked old and worn out. The seats were too low to the ground. The sight lines are terrible. There's a wall in front of the seats. I would say that a 10 year old child would have trouble seeing the screen becauseof that. And the screen felt small.

Loved the movie but didn't like the theater. Will not be going back.

Celebrator
07-22-2023, 09:40 PM
Went to see Dead Reckoning there. I couldn't get good seats at Showbiz so I thought I'd try this out.

Not a fan. For it to be newly refurbished, it looked old and worn out. The seats were too low to the ground. The sight lines are terrible. There's a wall in front of the seats. I would say that a 10 year old child would have trouble seeing the screen becauseof that. And the screen felt small.

Loved the movie but didn't like the theater. Will not be going back.

My 9 year old child had exactly that issue there. Had to move seats so she could see. The lobby kind of matches the look of the exterior: cheezy. The chairs were nice though other than being too low.

traxx
07-24-2023, 08:21 AM
My 9 year old child had exactly that issue there. Had to move seats so she could see. The lobby kind of matches the look of the exterior: cheezy. The chairs were nice though other than being too low.

I saw some movies there back when it was Kickingbird. I think it was a much better theater then than it is now. Kicking bird wasn't a bad theater at all. It was never my first choice but it was pretty decent.

MelOK
07-24-2023, 10:33 AM
We went last week, (Seniors are $5 on Mondays!) I could not see the bottom 1 foot of the screen, and I am 5'4 (average) I cannot imagine how kids will see. IT NEEDS SOME WORK!