View Full Version : Fountain opened in Bricktown

Patrick
09-18-2004, 12:37 AM
The Lower Bricktown Plaza was finally opened Friday. And the fountaisn with music were turned on. The theater is sure looking nice. I'm with downtownguy though.....I still don't se how they're going to have it all done by Oct. 1st, but I guess they will.

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/s18bricktown.jpg

--------

"Fountain dedicated in Bricktown plaza

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Water jets were turned on for Bricktown’s Centennial Fountain on Friday, transforming what once was a dusty eyesore into Oklahoma City’s newest landmark. Commission planning list of centennial events
Some Oklahoma City civic leaders can expect a steady stream of invitations over the next couple of years as the Oklahoma Centennial Commission continues to dedicate a list of projects leading up to 2007.

Commission executive director Blake Wade, having wrapped up the dedication of a new fountain and plaza in Lower Bricktown on Friday, already is planning for the next ceremony - the Oct. 3 opening of Regatta Park along the Oklahoma River.

The park will be home to a $2 million Chesapeake Energy Boathouse and a playground supported by Devon Energy.

Just east of Regatta Park, on a spot visible from Interstate 35, Wade is preparing to build an 80-foot bell tower being sponsored by Kerr McGee that will be lit up at night.

Wade predicted the tower will be a landmark for thousands of highway travelers and teams of visiting rowing enthusiasts from across the country.

Another Centennial project, a train at the Oklahoma City Zoo, will be dedicated this fall. In the spring, more sculptures will be added to the Oklahoma Land Run Monument along the south segment of the Bricktown Canal.

Funding, meanwhile, is almost in place for a fountain to be added to the middle of the Oklahoma River, Wade said.

And next year’s major opening, he said, will be for the new home of the Oklahoma State Museum.

“We don’t want to wait for everything until 2007,” Wade said. “We started with the (Capitol) Dome dedication and are going all the way up through 2007. We could not have done it all in one year.”

With about 200 in attendance at the dedication, Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin declared the fountain and surrounding development as an inspiration to communities across the state as they prepare for celebration of the 2007 Centennial.

“We’ll be having celebrations like this from Guymon to Idabel over the next couple years,” Fallin said. “The fountain and plaza make a statement: Oklahoma’s potential is unlimited - we can go as far as we choose to go and as far as we can dream.”

The Centennial Fountain and surrounding United Way Plaza cost $456,000 and is the centerpiece of “Lower Bricktown” at Mickey Mantle Drive and Reno Avenue.

The fountain is the entry to the 16-screen Bricktown Harkins Theatre, which is scheduled to open Oct. 1.

For developer Randy Hogan and former Mayor Kirk Humphreys, Friday’s ceremony capped years of struggle that included times when the entire development appeared to be on the verge of failure.

The first three years after the opening of the Bricktown Canal, the area was covered with mounds of dirt and weeds as lawsuits and political squabbles delayed the development.

Humphreys credited the city’s decision to build a store for Bass Pro Shops for making “Lower Bricktown” a reality.

“I’ve taken a lot of hits for the Bass Pro deal, but none of this would be here if not for Bass Pro,” Humphreys said. “When you put Bass Pro in, it was like putting fuel to a flame. It just took off.”

The fountain unveiled Friday features 40 distinct jets with three cascading tiers that can shoot water up to 40 feet high. The fountain has 19 jets that correspond to musical notes its electronic carillon plays either manually or automatically.

“This is a real show, and the public is in for a treat,” said Blake Wade, executive director of the Oklahoma Centennial Commission.

“Every day, on the hour, a ‘warning’ bell will sound, letting people know the show is about to begin,” Wade said. “Then, the fountain will rise to its full height to complement each musical performance.”

The fountain also has a wind gauge that will adjust the height of the water jets to prevent visitors from getting splashed.

“We believe in fountains, and we think water is key to Oklahoma City’s future."

Luke
09-18-2004, 07:55 AM
I went last night at about 9:30 to check it out. I was surprised at how busy Bricktown was. I guess I shouldn't have been. It WAS a friday night. Another thing I was surprised about: the amount of Oregon fans that are down for the OU game today.

Anyways, the fountain is lit up nicely. The music was all instrumental. Overall, a great addition to Lower Bricktown. I am sure as they figure out the technical side of the fountain/music, the choreography will improve. When I went it was very simple.

downtownguy
09-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Here's a tip:
Go to the pedestrian bridge just west of the Sonic office building; go to the middle of it and look back at the downtown and Bricktown skyline. Add to that picture a four- to eight story hotel along the west edge of the United Way Plaza, and a six- to eight-story botique hotel where the Oklahoma Water Taxi ticket booth now sits.
You'll be amazed at what the future looks like ... and over the next few weeks, I hope to bring that picture into more focus on my blog by showing how downtown in ten years will cover an area bounded by Northwest 10th, the Oklahoma River, Lincoln Boulevard and Classen Boulevard.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

floater
09-18-2004, 12:09 PM
This is one of those times when I regret not being in state. The fountain is gorgeous (good thing it was nice day outside). Good to hear about the crowds last night. Reminds me of the eve before OU kicked Nebraska's a%* to take the #1 ranking in 2000. There was a healthy Nebraskan contingent that night in Bricktown.

I hope there's ample seating near the fountain so people can relax and soak up the atmosphere...

Patrick
09-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Hey downtowguy, what's this "hotel where the Oklahoma Water Taxi ticket booth now sits" about??? Is someone finally going to purchase that land between the canal and Mickey Mantle? Sure wish someone would buy the land across the canal from it.

Luke
09-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Here's a tip:
Go to the pedestrian bridge just west of the Sonic office building; go to the middle of it and look back at the downtown and Bricktown skyline. Add to that picture a four- to eight story hotel along the west edge of the United Way Plaza, and a six- to eight-story botique hotel where the Oklahoma Water Taxi ticket booth now sits.
You'll be amazed at what the future looks like ... and over the next few weeks, I hope to bring that picture into more focus on my blog by showing how downtown in ten years will cover an area bounded by Northwest 10th, the Oklahoma River, Lincoln Boulevard and Classen Boulevard.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

Downtownguy, I assume the 6 to 8 story hotel you're talking about is the one mentioned in the Toby Keith article? They said the location was just north of the movie theater on the west side of the canal.

Also, do you have any word on what's gonna happen with the field at canal corner? You know, that grassy lot that has so much potential.

I assume the boutique hotel you speak of is going to use the grass slope adjacent to the water taxi booth?

Also, everyone should check out Downtown Monthly for some details on The Montgomery. A good read.

downtownguy
09-19-2004, 09:11 AM
A couple of years ago the city council was asked to approve zoning that would allow for a hotel to be built over the canal. I believe work will begin soon on that hotel. And yes, the other hotel is the one hinted at in The Daily Oklahoman story on Toby Keith's Roadhouse.
I don't believe we will see anything happen anytime soon on the corner lot owned by Harry McMullen. He paid a lot of money, the sort of price usually paid only by someone intending to build, and he may have an unrealistic expectation on how much money he can get for that same property in today's market.

BG918
09-19-2004, 02:21 PM
I still wonder everytime I go to Bricktown, why isn't there anything above the ground or canal-level restaurants? There's a lot of space, several stories in most cases. Why isn't that spaced being turned into apartments (obviously in demand) or offices?

downtownguy
09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
You need to explore Bricktown a bit more. Offices and a loft fill the upper floors of the Kimgman Building. Offices also are on higher floors of the Oklahoma Hardware Building, JDM Building and Miller Jackson Building.

BG918
09-19-2004, 10:32 PM
I noticed the upper floors of the buildings around the canal looked occupied, but what about the upper floors above the buildings on Sheridan? Most of the windows are either boarded up or busted out. I would think there could be more loft apartments or something.

Patrick
09-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I agree BG. And you're right...most of the buildings on Sheridan don't have anything above. But like downtownguy says, most of the buildings on the canal do have office space on the upper floors.

Anyways, take Spaghetti Warehouse for instance. There's a lot of space above the restaurant that isn't used. But, they own the building, so it would be up to them to convert the space. I think they're using a lot of it for storage right now, but not all of it.