View Full Version : Online DL Renewal

Pages : [1] 2

Bill Robertson
05-05-2021, 01:54 PM
I don't plan on flying anywhere soon and the only Fed buildings I plan on going in are at work and my Fed ID will get me in there. So I can wait for a Real ID.
But my DL expired in April and I had no idea that even to get it renewed is a major big pain right now. Then I saw that it can be done completely online! Filling out some blanks and uploading a couple pics to prove identity and bam! Done!
Only glitch was having to take my own "mug shot". I was sure I could make myself look better than the tag agencies have in the past. But no. I think DL photos are just cursed!

shawnw
05-05-2021, 03:13 PM
My DL expired July 2020, right in the middle of things and I did the online non-real DL. Was very smooth. Oddly, though I uploaded a new picture, they actually just used the picture from my previous license. Not sure if that was a glitch on their part or what.

Bill Robertson
05-05-2021, 03:29 PM
My DL expired July 2020, right in the middle of things and I did the online non-real DL. Was very smooth. Oddly, though I uploaded a new picture, they actually just used the picture from my previous license. Not sure if that was a glitch on their part or what.I would rather they use the old one. I was 30 lbs lighter and didn't look like death warmed over.

jerrywall
05-05-2021, 03:41 PM
My DL expired July 2020, right in the middle of things and I did the online non-real DL. Was very smooth. Oddly, though I uploaded a new picture, they actually just used the picture from my previous license. Not sure if that was a glitch on their part or what.

Same thing happened with my wife. She was rather upset since she had lost weight, and the new picture was so much nicer than the old one.

Bill Robertson
05-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Oops!

Bowser214
05-05-2021, 06:39 PM
What about address change or do you still have to write a letter?

Bill Robertson
05-05-2021, 06:51 PM
What about address change or do you still have to write a letter?
Since I wasn't changing address I didn't really pay attention but I think there was a box to check about whether this was the address on file or a new address.

timothy.a.owen
05-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Can also confirm they while I uploaded a new picture, they used the old one. Seems to be the process! Also since they extended the Real ID stuff again... might as well use the online renewal!

Urbanized
05-06-2021, 06:59 AM
This is exactly what happened with mine also. I painstakingly took a photo following the instruction, paying attention to lighting and background more than how much I personally liked my pic, and felt like I provided an excellent approximation of a standard DL photo. A few weeks later the new DL appeared in the mail...same photo as last time.

It was all super easy though. Would recommend.

Not sure when I’ll take on the Real ID task. I also carry my passport card at all times (different from an actual passport) and it satisfies the Real ID requirement for travel.

BoulderSooner
05-06-2021, 07:07 AM
This is exactly what happened with mine also. I painstakingly took a photo following the instruction, paying attention to lighting and background more than how much I personally liked my pic, and felt like I provided an excellent approximation of a standard DL photo. A few weeks later the new DL appeared in the mail...same photo as last time.

It was all super easy though. Would recommend.

Not sure when I’ll take on the Real ID task. I also carry my passport card at all times (different from an actual passport) and it satisfies the Real ID requirement for travel.

thank you for this thread i didn't know this was such an easy option and my DL expires late this summer ..

i have the passport card as well .. so i don't have a need for the real ID ..

T. Jamison
05-06-2021, 08:44 AM
I went to a tag agency yesterday to get my Real ID. It took me maybe 30 minutes of hassle last Friday to get the appointment, but after that it was really smooth. Walked in, got the license and left in 20 minutes. They still have to mail the ID to you because the tag agencies are not allowed to have the printers anymore. DPS has print it and mail it to you in 30 days. I was really dreading trying to renew my license in person (because I had to change my address) but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

FighttheGoodFight
05-06-2021, 09:21 AM
I went to a tag agency yesterday to get my Real ID. It took me maybe 30 minutes of hassle last Friday to get the appointment, but after that it was really smooth. Walked in, got the license and left in 20 minutes. They still have to mail the ID to you because the tag agencies are not allowed to have the printers anymore. DPS has print it and mail it to you in 30 days. I was really dreading trying to renew my license in person (because I had to change my address) but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Mind if I ask where? I got my regular ID in Norman because all the tag agencies would only do Real ID from 9am to 2pm M-F and had been booked for more than 3 months in advanced.

I heard some people going to small towns to get them but that is just wild it takes so long to do this.

T. Jamison
05-06-2021, 10:03 AM
Broadway Tag in Edmond. All their appointments for the following week are scheduled online after close (5:30) on Friday's. Other tag agencies I've seen have similar policies but the days of the week can be different. I just chose that tag agency because Friday was the day I decided I HAD to do it, and Friday was their day to schedule.

Bill Robertson
05-06-2021, 10:08 AM
Broadway Tag in Edmond. All their appointments for the following week are scheduled online after close (5:30) on Friday's. Other tag agencies I've seen have similar policies but the days of the week can be different. I just chose that tag agency because Friday was the day I decided I HAD to do it, and Friday was their day to schedule.
I didn't try anything in Edmond. Everywhere I tried in OKC and Yukon were booked at least until June. One was booked until December.

foodiefan
05-06-2021, 01:00 PM
I didn't try anything in Edmond. Everywhere I tried in OKC and Yukon were booked at least until June. One was booked until December.

I did the Real ID last Nov in Harrah, America. . .got an appointment the next day . . . in/out 30 minutes. Sent a neighbor there last month, same story. A bit of a drive, but a chance to grab lunch somewhere new!!

bombermwc
06-01-2021, 12:55 PM
I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it. Mine expires at the end of July and the tag agencies are only doing a handful of appointments each day and are do it first-come-first-serve with lines starting an hour and a half before they open. Those that take appointments are saying they are booked until September.

What's a normal schmuck supposed to do? My understanding is that the agencies are limiting the number per day because they do not make much on them and would rather make room for the more lucrative business lines. I can understand that from their side since it's not a high profit business anyway. But it leaves the public out in the cold with no options.

shawnw
06-04-2021, 10:48 AM
There was an article in the last week or two where the state was considering establishing temporary, large service centers to help address this issue.

Bunty
06-04-2021, 11:09 AM
I got my real ID drivers license at Stillwater Tag Agency early one morning a couple of weeks ago even though it said by appointments only on the door. When I read that I went back to my car when a clerk came out and said she could have be in to renew DL. What a nice surprise that was. Had to go through much of the process twice because the clerk screwed up. You're fingerprinted. Two other walkins came in while I was there.

Celebrator
07-07-2021, 10:08 AM
Can anyone speak to how long it took you to get your new DL after renewing it online. It has been 30 days for me and nothing. I am carrying around the receipt the state issued folded up in my wallet just to prove that I renewed it! I have the passport card as a backup for traveling later this month thank goodness.

GoGators
07-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Can anyone speak to how long it took you to get your new DL after renewing it online. It has been 30 days for me and nothing. I am carrying around the receipt the state issued folded up in my wallet just to prove that I renewed it! I have the passport card as a backup for traveling later this month thank goodness.

I'm on two months and counting.

TheTravellers
07-07-2021, 10:33 AM
I'm almost at two months. Wife spoke to a friend a couple of weeks ago that said she renewed in April and still didn't have hers. Huge fail...

T. Jamison
07-07-2021, 10:42 AM
I renewed mine in May (in person) and it took me two weeks. It must be a failure in the online system.

As far as travel is concerned, the TSA will accept an expired drivers license as long as it is less than a year out of date. My fiancé's license expired between leaving OKC and returning from our destination and it wasn't an issue.

Celebrator
07-07-2021, 10:47 AM
Two months is not good. I also have to rent a car, wonder what the car rental company will say?

TheTravellers
07-07-2021, 10:50 AM
I renewed mine in May (in person) and it took me two weeks. It must be a failure in the online system.

As far as travel is concerned, the TSA will accept an expired drivers license as long as it is less than a year out of date. My fiancé's license expired between leaving OKC and returning from our destination and it wasn't an issue.

What part took two weeks? In between going to a tag agency and actually receiving it? If so, that's strange, they don't give it to you immediately for an in-person appt?

Edmond Hausfrau
07-07-2021, 10:53 AM
I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it. Mine expires at the end of July and the tag agencies are only doing a handful of appointments each day and are do it first-come-first-serve with lines starting an hour and a half before they open. Those that take appointments are saying they are booked until September.

What's a normal schmuck supposed to do? My understanding is that the agencies are limiting the number per day because they do not make much on them and would rather make room for the more lucrative business lines. I can understand that from their side since it's not a high profit business anyway. But it leaves the public out in the cold with no options.

Keep in mind, much like dinner reservations many people make multiple ones and don't honor them. Meaning alot of those appointments might be no-shows, if the person gets earlier appointment or walks in elsewhere. It's worth trying the walk in approach if a place is appointment only. Worked for us.

Jersey Boss
07-07-2021, 10:55 AM
What part took two weeks? In between going to a tag agency and actually receiving it? If so, that's strange, they don't give it to you immediately for an in-person appt?

They stopped giving it to you sometime ago. I think they stopped to cut down on fake id's. The new license goes to your mailing address of record.

TheTravellers
07-07-2021, 11:56 AM
They stopped giving it to you sometime ago. I think they stopped to cut down on fake id's. The new license goes to your mailing address of record.

Ah, did not know that, thanks. Been 4 years (and 2 months :)) since we last had to deal with it.

David
07-15-2021, 01:57 PM
There was an article in the last week or two where the state was considering establishing temporary, large service centers to help address this issue.

The first of these will be opening soon. From: https://twitter.com/OHPDPS/status/1415457331039592448

The DPS OKC megacenter opens on July 26! You can renew or replace your driver’s license, identification card, CDL or get your REAL ID. No appointment needed. Find out more now! http://realid.ok.gov

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6SbBuWWEAQJbtG?format=jpg&name=medium

More info from the link:

OKLAHOMA CITY LOCATION
OPENING JULY 26
Location​
1000 N.E. 10th
(Old Health Department Building)
Enter the ground level parking garage off of N.E. 10th and follow signs for service

Hours
6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Monday through Saturday​
(Open through the close of business on December 10)

TULSA LOCATION
OPENING AUGUST 16
Location​
TBD

Hours
6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Monday through Saturday​
(Open through the close of business on January 7)

d-usa
07-16-2021, 08:37 AM
Mine took about a month and a half, and got to me a few days after my old one expired. I wonder if they are prioritizing them by expiration dates.

OKC Guide
07-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Agreed. Earlier this year, I waited until pretty much last minute and I got it on the day it expired, so it was pretty fast.

Bill Robertson
07-16-2021, 01:41 PM
I ended up snagging an appointment at Broadway Tag about mid June. Got my real ID about 2 weeks later.

GoGators
07-16-2021, 05:30 PM

Mine came in today. Just under 2.5 months

Celebrator
07-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Not having mine did cause a slight hiccup yesterday renting a car out of state-- right at the booth where you check out your car before leaving the lot. The associate in the booth asked for proof that I had a valid license so I showed her the receipt I printed (and folded a million times in my wallet) from the state and then she has to get pt of the booth and check with her manager that it's okay for me to leave the lot with this beautiful VW Atlas. She checked and I was on my way, but it backed up the lane and was annoying. Hope it comes in the mail soon.

TheTravellers
07-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Got mine yesterday, 2 months and 3 days after I renewed online.

David
07-27-2021, 01:41 PM
The OKC megacenter is now open: https://twitter.com/OHPDPS/status/1420025878822768650

Come down and see us at the OKC megacenter! The line is way shorter than our first day yesterday. If you need to renew or replace a DL, CDL or ID, we can take care of you at the megacenter. If you need REAL ID and already have an OK DL - we can do that at the megacenter as well.

WheelerD Guy
07-28-2021, 11:39 AM
Went down to the MegaCenter on the 26th, and the line was easily 1,000 people deep.

It was a Covid den.

Martin
07-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Went down to the MegaCenter on the 26th, and the line was easily 1,000 people deep.

It was a Covid den.

for that reason, i've ruled that out as an option for myself. even though i have already validated my documentation through the state's app, i'm thinking about just getting a non-real id (imaginary?) driver license to avoid the extra fuss. i already have a passport and passport card, so it's not a huge deal for me.

TheTravellers
07-28-2021, 12:16 PM
for that reason, i've ruled that out as an option for myself. even though i have already validated my documentation through the state's app, i'm thinking about just getting a non-real id (imaginary?) driver license to avoid the extra fuss. i already have a passport and passport card, so it's not a huge deal for me.

That's what we did, and now that we have our new DLs, our passports are up for renewal in Nov, so we're going to start the process for that soon. And once we get our new passports, we'll probably start the REAL ID process once it gets less crazy.

David
07-28-2021, 12:47 PM
If you are getting a passport renewal in the near future I recommend paying the extra 30 bucks and getting a passport card at the same time. It serves as a real ID without having to carry the full passport around and is valid for the same ten year window as the passport.

Hopefully in ten more years Oklahoma will have their act together.

TheTravellers
07-28-2021, 01:02 PM
If you are getting a passport renewal in the near future I recommend paying the extra 30 bucks and getting a passport card at the same time. It serves as a real ID without having to carry the full passport around and is valid for the same ten year window as the passport.

Great info, thanks, hadn't checked enough into the card yet, we don't use the passports much, but nice to have as a backup and just never looked at the card.

foodiefan
07-28-2021, 01:06 PM

. . . love having the Passport Card. . well worth the extra $!!

Urbanized
07-28-2021, 02:19 PM

. . . love having the Passport Card. . well worth the extra $!!

Great info, thanks, hadn't checked enough into the card yet, we don't use the passports much, but nice to have as a backup and just never looked at the card.

Yep. Got mine last time I renewed my passport, and carry it with me everywhere. I mean, I'm gonna get the real ID done as soon as it's not a massive hassle, but I easily renewed my non-real ID ODL online a few months back, it's good for 4 years, and in the meantime I will be able to travel or whatever any time I want with the passport card. I'm good.

I'm not rooting for anyone to have a bad time here - and I'm embarrassed the state doesn't have its **** together - but I am mostly watching this ****show with bemusement (to be clear bemusement is not the same thing as amusement).

Martin
07-28-2021, 02:50 PM
but I easily renewed my non-real ID ODL online a few months back

curious... what's the process on updating your photo for an online renewal?

Urbanized
07-28-2021, 02:58 PM
curious... what's the process on updating your photo for an online renewal?

When I did it there was a very specific set of instructions for taking your photo using a solid background, good lighting and a certain size photo, etc. I followed all of it to the letter and was pretty proud of the product. And then - when I got the mailed license - they simply used the photo from my expiring, four-year-old license. And I have since spoken with multiple people who had the same outcome.

Martin
07-28-2021, 03:03 PM
When I did it there was a very specific set of instructions for taking your photo using a solid background, good lighting and a certain size photo, etc. I followed all of it to the letter and was pretty proud of the product. And then - when I got the mailed license - they simply used the photo from my expiring, four-year-old license. And I have since spoken with multiple people who had the same outcome.

ah... interesting. thanks for the info!

Urbanized
07-28-2021, 03:07 PM
ah... interesting. thanks for the info!

Happy to help!

d-usa
07-28-2021, 03:54 PM
I went to the mega center today around 10 am and it wasn't to bad. I was able to distance from other folks since it wasn't crazy crowded and the whole process took me 1.5 hours. I did just get my regular license renewed at the beginning of the month, but I wanted to get a Real ID version to avoid some issues down the line since Oklahoma decided to make things weird with IDs.

As a side note, the new design and feel of the drivers license feels cheap and ugly and made me think that this is what a fake ID might look like.

unfundedrick
07-28-2021, 08:51 PM

Since getting new passports or getting passports renewed is currently taking 12 to 18 weeks right now, even if expedited, I don't see that as much of a time saving option.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

TheTravellers
07-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Since getting new passports or getting passports renewed is currently taking 12 to 18 weeks right now, even if expedited, I don't see that as much of a time saving option.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

The reason I would get a passport card with our passport renewal has nothing to do with saving time and everything to do with the convenience of it being REAL ID-compliant. I have plenty of time to take my pic, fill out and send in the form and wait for however long it takes, not planning any international travel this year.

David
07-29-2021, 08:41 AM

Yes, that is why I said "if you are getting a passport renewal in the near future". It certainly wasn't a general recommendation for everyone to pursue instead of the OK real ID.

FighttheGoodFight
07-29-2021, 09:12 AM
Ya we just did the normal drivers license and use our passport/passport card for travel. I might get a real ID next year or something. After this all calms down.

unfundedrick
07-29-2021, 10:10 PM
Yes, that is why I said "if you are getting a passport renewal in the near future". It certainly wasn't a general recommendation for everyone to pursue instead of the OK real ID.

But a passport can be used for ID when flying domestically just as easily as a passport card so why would you spend extra money to get a card also? I can understand someone just wanting to get the card but getting both doesn't make much sense to me.

Martin
07-30-2021, 06:01 AM
But a passport can be used for ID when flying domestically just as easily as a passport card so why would you spend extra money to get a card also? I can understand someone just wanting to get the card but getting both doesn't make much sense to me.
for me, there are a few reasons... as an alternative id, the card is way less bulky than the passport and fits in my wallet. i don't want to take my passport with me unless absolutely necessary, so if i am flying domestic (or to canada/mexico) i can leave it at home where it's not at risk of being lost/stolen. while the card isn't a replacement for my passport, it's a good backup to have if it does get lost/stolen... i keep the two in different places, so it is unlikely that i will lose both.

so... if i am already going through the process of getting the passport, all of that is worth $30 for me. the cost/benefit for you might be different and that's perfectly ok.

d-usa
07-30-2021, 07:55 AM
Aside from the card fitting in your wallet as some have mentioned, there are also ID laws in foreign countries to consider. If you are traveling internationally there are some countries where you are required to carry some form of national identification, Germany being one of them for example. A state issued driver's license isn't considered an acceptable ID in those cases, since it is not issued by a federal government. For places like that it is easy to fly into the country using a passport, and then keeping the passport secure and traveling with a passport card inside the country.

shawnw
07-30-2021, 08:10 AM
My mother is a recently (2020) naturalized citizen. We're in the process of getting her a passport and passport card. She will carry the passport card around as proof of citizenship (she has been challenged before) and keep the passport safely stored at home.

foodiefan
07-30-2021, 08:47 AM
for me, there are a few reasons... as an alternative id, the card is way less bulky than the passport and fits in my wallet. i don't want to take my passport with me unless absolutely necessary, so if i am flying domestic (or to canada/mexico) i can leave it at home where it's not at risk of being lost/stolen. while the card isn't a replacement for my passport, it's a good backup to have if it does get lost/stolen... i keep the two in different places, so it is unlikely that i will lose both.

so... if i am already going through the process of getting the passport, all of that is worth $30 for me. the cost/benefit for you might be different and that's perfectly ok.

^^^

unfundedrick
07-30-2021, 03:01 PM

You can't fly to Canada or Mexico with a passport card. You can drive there with a card but have to have a regular passport to fly. Everyone has their reasons, but I have absolutely no problem carrying my passport when flying domestically.

unfundedrick
07-30-2021, 03:11 PM
Sorry to get off topic.

Martin
07-30-2021, 05:51 PM
You can't fly to Canada or Mexico with a passport card. You can drive there with a card but have to have a regular passport to fly. Everyone has their reasons, but I have absolutely no problem carrying my passport when flying domestically.

ahh... did not know that. thanks for the catch!

ctchandler
07-30-2021, 07:09 PM
Martin,
Rick is correct, I believe it happened around 2008. It also included the Caribbean.
C. T.