View Full Version : First Time Visitors to OKC

sooner88
04-14-2021, 11:02 AM
We have 2 friends that are on a cross-country road trip in a RV stop in OKC on their way back home. The couple lives in LA currently (one is from Orange County, and the other is from Lyon, France), and are taking advantage of WFH by traveling through parts of the country they haven't visited yet. They started in Chicago, and have driven through Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock / Ozark and now OKC. They came in with 0 expectation, but were constantly expressing how impressed they were with the cleanliness, streetscape (something that I take for granted, but it was mentioned multiple times how the trees lining the middle of the streets downtown brought a European feel). We took them for drinks at Arbolada, dinner at the Jones and a nightcap at 21C. They were able to get into nonesuch tonight, so have decided to stay another day.

The purpose of this post is 1) to pass along positive feedback from out-of-towners on things I tend to take for granted (they loved the streetcar and canal also); 2) see if anyone had any other similar anecdotes; 3) poll the forum on what they would recommend for people in there 30s who are in town for the first time (curious to see how my suggestions compare to others)

Pete
04-14-2021, 11:06 AM
^

You did a great job of showing some of the best parts of OKC; I wouldn't have chosen much differently.

As a side note, I also had a friend come through from California but this was during the lockdown. One thing that really impressed her was driving by the state capitol and seeing the oil wells, and I also took her through the Chesapeake campus then pointed out Devon Tower and its associated facilities. Regardless of your feelings or the current status/influence of the energy industry, it's one of the things that is pretty unique about OKC, especially to people who see lots of U.S. cities.

The other things that stood out to her (for better or worse) were all the breweries and cannabis dispensaries.

Roger S
04-14-2021, 11:10 AM
They were able to get into nonesuch tonight, so have decided to stay another day.

They may have me to thank for that nonesuch reservation.... Had to change my reservation for tonight to the 22nd.

If they are foodies they are going to love nonesuch.

shawnw
04-14-2021, 11:19 AM
Speaking of nonesuch.... am I looking in the wrong space? the last time I looked in there, maybe last week, looked like there was framing going on, like they were renovating...

dankrutka
04-14-2021, 11:41 AM
I've hosted groups of people from Dallas in OKC a couple times and they're always completing blown away. Many of them come in with low expectations, which impacts their views, but they rave about coming back to OKC later.

sooner88
04-14-2021, 01:08 PM
They may have me to thank for that nonesuch reservation.... Had to change my reservation for tonight to the 22nd.

If they are foodies they are going to love nonesuch.

The friend from France is a huge foodie, and they are really looking forward to it. Funny enough, they were at a hole in the wall coffee shop in Arkansas talking about OKC and the shop owners suggested they go to nonesuch.

Bellaboo
04-14-2021, 01:16 PM
I had a nephew and niece come through as they were moving from Phoenix to Toledo. I gave them a quick tour, Memorial, Bricktown drive through, Myriad Gardens and then we stopped at Scissortail Park. It was a Tuesday evening and the place was packed, they could not believe how much was going on in that park. We topped it off with ice cream in the Plaza at Roxies. Was a fun night.