View Full Version : Vehicle window tint laws

PurpleChicken
04-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Do we have window tint laws anymore? I'm seeing cars with pitch black tint on their windows and it's more the rule than the exception.

Jeepnokc
04-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Yep.

https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82447

Bill Robertson
04-09-2021, 04:37 PM
When I had my Elantra windows tinted when I bought it I went to a shop that most people would recognize the name of. Been in the car business for years. They had 5 or 6 levels of darkness. The said the first 4 were legal and the darkest 2 were not. Take my pick!

PurpleChicken
04-09-2021, 08:27 PM
When I had my Elantra windows tinted when I bought it I went to a shop that most people would recognize the name of. Been in the car business for years. They had 5 or 6 levels of darkness. The said the first 4 were legal and the darkest 2 were not. Take my pick!

So, it’s just not enforced. It’s against the law, just not enforced?

mugofbeer
04-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Maybe it's one of those that's not enforced unless they have another reason to pull you over.

Plutonic Panda
04-09-2021, 09:06 PM
Yeah I have a couple vehicles that are tinted way darker then what is legally allowed and I have not ever been questioned about it by law-enforcement.

PurpleChicken
04-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Maybe it's one of those that's not enforced unless they have another reason to pull you over.

I can understand why some might like a heavy tint but for me, if I can’t see a driver’s face I can’t tell what they’re going to do. If they’re distracted, going to turn left, going to turn right, etc. I have no idea. 🤷*♂️

mugofbeer
04-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Ontop of that, you can't see traffic, bicycles or pedestrians through the windows of cars next to you.

PurpleChicken
04-09-2021, 10:34 PM
Ontop of that, you can't see traffic, bicycles or pedestrians through the windows of cars next to you.

Excellent point.

Bill Robertson
04-10-2021, 06:04 AM
I can understand why some might like a heavy tint but for me, if I can’t see a driver’s face I can’t tell what they’re going to do. If they’re distracted, going to turn left, going to turn right, etc. I have no idea. ��*♂️After many, many years experience I can say that you can't tell what a driver is thinking even if you can see their face. Believing you can on a motorcycle can end very badly.

SouthOfTheVillage
04-10-2021, 07:49 AM
The tint law is enforced just about as often as the “tires need to be inside the fender” law, which is to say almost never.

TheTravellers
04-10-2021, 09:47 AM
After many, many years experience I can say that you can't tell what a driver is thinking even if you can see their face. Believing you can on a motorcycle can end very badly.

Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly when I worked in Chicago and had to walk in the Loop all the time, I watch the front wheels of the cars to see what they're going to do...

Bill Robertson
04-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I learned that pretty quickly when I worked in Chicago and had to walk in the Loop all the time, I watch the front wheels of the cars to see what they're going to do...That's one of the main things they harp on in motorcycle safety school.

Dob Hooligan
04-10-2021, 11:02 AM
The tint law is enforced just about as often as the “tires need to be inside the fender” law, which is to say almost never.

I think these are categorized as "secondary violations", which are not used to initiate a traffic stop. When Oklahoma eliminated the State Safety Inspection law it made equipment violations practically non-existent.

MagzOK
04-12-2021, 10:10 AM
It's tint on the front windshield that I don't understand, especially at night. I've noticed more of it over the last couple years.

jerrywall
04-12-2021, 10:23 AM
So while I agree with the visibility criticisms of tinting (especially on the windshield) part of me wonders how many of these tinting laws have their basis in targeting specific communities/demographics. I had dark tinting well over the limit on my car when I was a teenager in Edmond, and through multiple traffic stops and such it was never mentioned. But I've certainly seen it enforced in other areas of the metro. It seems to me if they cared that much about it, they would be targeting these businesses which on daily basis install illegal tint on people's windows.