View Full Version : Best Sushi in the Metro?

kukblue1
03-20-2021, 10:17 AM
Ok have family coming to visit in two weeks. They are really into Sushi. Me on other hand let's just say NO. It's not my thing I have tired it once and I don't like seafood in general. That being said I'm sure they will want to go check out the sushi scene in OKC. So I really need help here as I know nothing about this space. In fact I'm not even sure how one sushi place can be better than another one since really it's raw fish right. I mean how do you make raw fish better at one place than another. Then you warp it in rice or seaweed right. Just the thought of it is making me sick. Anyway open to suggestions and If I do go do they have beef or chicken. :)

Pete
03-20-2021, 10:28 AM
I really like Yuzo.

TheTravellers
03-20-2021, 10:52 AM
Don't do Tokyo House or Saii, they've both gone downhill, and Saii used to be our go-to, sadly. Sushi Neko is OK, Yuzo is good, as Pete said (and they have lots of other very good non-sushi dishes). Others on here are way more knowledgeable, hopefully they chime in.

Oh, and sushi isn't always raw, there are plenty of cooked sushi rolls. Sashimi, OTOH, is always raw.

lady_o
03-20-2021, 11:09 AM
Tokyo house is always the one people recommend but I didn't like it, personally.

Agree with Travellers that Sushi Neko is okay. Their rolls are too big for me to comfortably chew but the quality is pretty good.

Our frequent go-to sushi places are Yokozuna in Chisolm Creek & Inaka at Britton & Penn, both of which serve tasty dishes for non-sushi eaters.

PikeD2zL
03-20-2021, 11:43 AM
The freshness of the fish is definitely an important part of sushi but so is the quality of the rice. That's usually why most people will recommend Tokyo Japanese Restaurant on Western. I've found them to have the most consistent quality of rice (temperature, vinegar, etc.). But if you're gonna slather it in spicy mayo and deep fry, then you'll probably be happier at any number of sushi restaurants. :)

To your original question, if they like more authentic and traditional sushi, then Tokyo is the way to go.

The Sushi Bar and Yuzo are fairly similar in a balance between quality (fish, rice) and more Americanized rolls. Sushi Neko is kinda pricey for what it is.

Most (if not all) Japanese restaurants will have other menu options for non-sushi fans including beef, chicken, rice, noodle, etc. dishes. :) Good luck!!

kukblue1
03-20-2021, 02:51 PM
Keeping with the they like to explore things, what might be some other options. A place like Pho Choung that even I have wanted to try or something that most people don't think of trying.

TheTravellers
03-20-2021, 03:23 PM
Keeping with the they like to explore things, what might be some other options. A place like Pho Choung that even I have wanted to try or something that most people don't think of trying.

If you think they're looking for Asian food that Westerners don't usually eat, give Chow's on 30th/May a try, they have some (of what Americans think of as) weird food. I've had quite a few things there that people say "Really???" when I tell them I ate it.

PikeD2zL
03-20-2021, 05:38 PM
^ Chow's is a great suggestion for more authentic Chinese food. Golden Phoenix recently remodeled their restaurant and has a good blend of more authentic dishes and Western-style Asian food. Szechuan Bistro is a great blend as well.

Pho Cuong is great for Vietnamese soup (pho). Goro or Tamashii are fantastic for ramen. Muu Shabu is excellent for hot pot. Maple Korean BBQ and Gangnam BBQ are excellent for AYCE Korean bbq.

OKC has some pretty great food options :)

jbkrems
03-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Sushi Neko is a good bet because they have non-sushi items. Yuzo is also very good.

theanvil
03-21-2021, 12:18 PM
I haven’t tried every sushi joint in the metro, but my favorites by far are Kyoto in Edmond (in Spring Creek), Ocean 81 on May Ave, and Yuzo in Auto Alley.

SouthOfTheVillage
03-21-2021, 06:51 PM
Agree with _____________ that Sushi Neko is okay. Their rolls are too big for me to comfortably chew but the quality is pretty good.

The Chefs at Neko will cut the Rolls very thin if you like.

Thomas Vu
03-21-2021, 11:08 PM
I enjoy szechuan story and fungs for chinese stuff. Pho I enjoy magasin table.

corwin1968
03-22-2021, 08:30 AM
The best sushi we've had was at The Sushi Bar, Sake and Kyoto. Unfortunately, even those three generally excellent sushi restaurants suffer from the all too common problem of inconsistency. When they are at their best, they are amazing, but you are just as likely to get mediocre.

MartzMimic
03-23-2021, 04:38 PM
Tsubaki on MacArthur and Memorial is the freshest I’ve found.

AMinEdmond
03-24-2021, 09:56 AM
In Edmond we frequent Kobe Sushi, The Sushi Bar and Cafe Icon... Cafe Icon might be one of the most underrated restaurants in the Metro when it comes to Sushi/Fresh seafood.

Richard at Remax
03-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Sushi Neko!

lady_o
03-26-2021, 11:58 AM
The Chefs at Neko will cut the Rolls very thin if you like.

Good to know!

MagzOK
03-29-2021, 09:27 AM
Kyoto Sushi Bar and Bistro -- Edmond. We love it. Good luck!

soonerguru
03-29-2021, 09:31 AM
Thumbs up to Pho Cuong (I enjoy their vermicelli bowl as well as their pho)! As far as sushi is concerned, and I were entertaining out of towners, I would choose Neko for the service and atmosphere as well as the overall quality.