View Full Version : Dusty Dvoracek

Patrick
09-18-2004, 12:10 AM
All I have to say is if you can't get your anger and drinking problems under control, you don't deserve to play on the team. It's a shame because Dvoracek basically lost his only shot at the NFL (he was probably going to go in the first round), but he did it to himself.

-------------------------

"OU’s Dvoracek dismissed from team

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - University of Oklahoma defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek was dismissed from the football team late Friday amid mounting allegations of violent behavior.
Dvoracek involved in spring incident

OU head football coach Bob Stoops announced the decision in a statement released by the school. Hours earlier, OU had announced Dvoracek had been indefinitely suspended and stripped of the title of team captain for his involvement in an altercation last Sunday morning that landed a friend in the hospital with a head injury.

But as allegations of past incidents surfaced Friday, Stoops came to a more final conclusion.

“I have learned more over the course of the day and now believe there is a sufficient pattern of behavior to merit Dusty’s removal from the team,” Stoops said in the statement.

Dvoracek, a senior who was an outspoken leader and honor-roll student, was expected to be one of the Sooners’ best defensive players this season. Teammates elected him captain last month - a position typically awarded to players for their character as well as their ability.

But Norman police are investigating Dvoracek’s role in an incident early last Sunday morning. Sources said Dvoracek and Matt Wilde, 21, his former high school teammate, had been drinking, then argued.

There were indications the incident last weekend wasn’t the first for Dvoracek. Other allegations of violence included reports of a fight last March in Norman and in 2002 in Addison, Texas. Also in 2002, the Cleveland County district attorney’s office evaluated - but declined to pursue - a sexual assault complaint filed with OU police against Dvoracek.

Wilde, who was unconscious when he arrived at Norman Regional Hospital, spent five days in intensive care before he was moved to another room Thursday. A hospital spokesman said Friday Wilde was in “good” condition.

Conflicting reports

Sources’ accounts conflicted on whether the injuries occurred when Wilde was struck by Dvoracek or when he was pushed by Dvoracek and fell awkwardly, striking his head.

Norman police and an investigator from the Cleveland County district attorney’s office have separately contacted Wilde and his family and been told Wilde didn’t want to press charges.

Police spokesman Lt. Tom Easley said officers were continuing to pursue leads into the incident.

“Because of the injuries, I have encouraged Norman Police Department to continue their investigation whether the victim wants to (press charges) or not,” Cleveland County District Attorney Tim Kuykendall said.

In the school’s statement, Mossman said OU “is cooperating fully with the appropriate authorities in their investigation.”

Last March, Dvoracek was alleged to have broken a young Norman man’s nose with a punch during an argument at Bison Witches, a bar in downtown Norman. The man’s mother, who asked that she and her son not to be identified, said Friday her son declined to press charges after Dvoracek apologized and agreed to pay for medical bills and because they “chalked it up to drunk college kids.”

Also Friday came allegations of an incident in Addison, Texas, in spring of 2002. Dvoracek, then a freshman at OU, and friends were alleged to have crashed a party and severely beat three men who attempted to stop them from leaving with a keg of beer and the keg tap.

Don Dugan, stepfather of two of the men, Brandon and Trenton Ballard of Grapevine, Texas, said he contacted Kuykendall and Norman police after learning of the alleged incident involving Dvoracek last weekend.

“I told (the authorities) Dvoracek beat up my two stepboys,” Dugan said. “They had black eyes, bloody lips and contusions. They told him he could take the keg but not the tapper. My sons owned it.”

Dallas County assistant district attorney Brandon Birmingham, who handled the 2002 case, did not return phone calls Friday.

The Oklahoman and Kuykendall separately pursued but didn’t find records of the alleged assault in Addison or Dallas counties. Dvoracek does not have a record in Texas or national criminal databases, though it is possible the records could have been expunged.

‘Scared of Dvoracek’

Neither Brandon Ballard nor Trenton Ballard could be reached Friday for comment. Dugan said against his wishes, his stepsons decided they didn’t want to testify against Dvoracek.

“They just wanted to (allow Dvoracek to) plea it out and pay medical bills and drop the charges, and that’s what happened,” Dugan said. “Once (the stepsons) are over 21, they can do what they want to do.

“My kids are scared of Dvoracek, I’ll tell you right now. They don’t want to be beaten up by him again.”

The man involved in last March’s incident declined to answer questions about the incident but said, “I have received several personal apologies from Dusty Dvoracek, and I consider all matters between us to be fully resolved.”

The mother said her son’s nose was fractured, his eyes were swollen shut for three days and blackened for six weeks.

“We thought long and hard about (pressing charges),” she said. "

Midtowner
09-20-2004, 09:56 AM
I think he'll still get drafted regardless of whether or not he plays this season. 1st round though? Nope. There will be at least two other guys get drafted this year that had to sit out -- Muarice Clarrett and Mike Williams.

If his expulsion from the team sticks, he will certainly have kissed away millions of dollars due to one night of partying.

mranderson
09-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I bet if Barry was still coach, this clown would have gotten a handshake and a six pack for his troubles.

I do not like OU, as most know. However, I applaud Stoops for expelling this loser.

Patrick
09-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I agree mranderson......when Switzer was coach, most of his players ended up in McAlester. The integrity and respect of our football program suffered. In fact, many people still hate the Sooners today because of the type of football Switzer played. Anyways, I'm glad to see that Stoops isn't putting up with BS from his players. If you're going to be a football player at OU, you're going to be a role model, so you need to act like one. Sure, these are still kids playing football, but as far as I'm concerned they're also adults! So they need to act like it. Stoops has a reputation of integrity to maintain. I applaud him for his actions.

Midtowner
09-24-2004, 08:29 AM
He did the right thing. Some things are more important than winning.

But don't worry, they'll still win. No one is bigger than the team is something that Stoops preaches. Good to see he practices what he preaches.

Patrick
09-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Stoops always preaches a team effort. Actually I find it quite funny, but against Oregon, probably the hardest team they've played so far, the defense actually allowed fewer points than in any other game this season! And that was without their "star" player.

Midtowner
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Oregon was their own worst enemy. Horrible decisions in the red zone. When you're down by 17, GO FOR THE FIELD GOAL! Nah, instead, they tried this play that OU had sniffed out all the way.

The D-line did allow quite a bit of room for Whitehead to run up the gut. I'm hoping they get that fixed by Texas, or at least leave a good LB in there to help minimize running gains.

The other play that concerned me was that quick swing pass. They picked on Bassey quite a bit as he seemed to be guaranteed to miss the first tackle. That play was good for 6-7 yards every time. I'm surprised they didn't go to that in the red-zone.

julylove_21
07-30-2005, 02:29 PM
oh i cant wait till dirty d plays this year hes an awesome player and im so glad hes back--so what if he got in a fight--who hasnt? the guy probably deserved it people dont go around getting their butt kicked for no reason. any way hes doing alot better now -dusty- hes got his "problems" in check by now im sure,However, I applaud Stoops for expelling this loser-- wow what chice of words we use when we assume we know everything about a person when we get our info. from the media.If you're going to be a football player at OU, you're going to be a role model, so you need to act like one. oh yes then theres that--well im sure playing football for a carree thats the first thing they want to show everyone, how ever much we would like that to be true its not, in the real world you do your best to get where you need to be in life its called survival. sure he made a bad choice and got in trouble but nobody can be a perfect person all the time.

djryanla
08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
so what if he got in a fight--who hasnt? the guy probably deserved it people dont go around getting their butt kicked for no reason.
You're WAY off base here.

He put a guy in a coma. Not just someone, but one of his friends. If the guy had chosen to sue or press charges, Dusty wouldn't be a free man right now.

I hope he has his alcohol issues under control. He deserved to get a second chance, but there is no room for mistakes now.