View Full Version : Squatter Camps Popping UP Across OKC

Downwind17
02-07-2021, 12:06 PM
I noticed today at the NE corner of Memorial and Penn, a tent pitched against the fence that separates the right of way on the south side of Memorial Rd. and the Kilpatrick T'pke.

Along with the tent were two shopping carts and, what appeared to be, a dining room chair...along with the usual trash. I certainly hope my calls to the OKC Action Center will result in getting the squatter(s) to move on because I am not about to let OKC turn into Austin, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle or the countless other municipalities where homeless squatter camps are permitted to setup on city or state property out in the open. It looks like crap...and frankly, many parts of our fine city do not need any help looking more sloppy.

While I have the Action Center on the line...anyone know of any other public right of ways where squatters are making themselves at home? I can pass those location on to the Action Center, too. Don't bother mentioning the areas along the OKC Boulevard...seems the city and Mayor Holt are not interested in addressing those areas.

HangryHippo
02-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Your compassion is remarkable.

cinnamonjock
02-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Not gonna narc on our homeless neighbors.

Bill Robertson
02-07-2021, 01:17 PM
There are things I turn in but those guys have enough problems surviving without the city getting on their case.

Plutonic Panda
02-07-2021, 01:56 PM
“ Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge… is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world. It requires profound purpose larger than the self kind of understanding.”

- Bill Bullard

And PS, I live in Hollywood and my apartment is borderline surrounded by various tents and encampments. It is frustrating sometimes but I found many of these guys to be very nice people. Why don’t you go talk to them instead of complain on a message board and tell the city which won’t do what you want them to?

Dob Hooligan
02-07-2021, 02:31 PM
I have spent 38 years around them and they are not a positive for our area. They steal and vandalize. They leave all kinds of trash around. They will move on from their camps when it is full of trash or bio-waste and leave it behind for the city or a landowner to clean up.

They are not usually violent, but almost are mentally ill and/or active chemical abusers. They have burned part of my building down; stolen from cars in the lot; killed old and harmless yard dogs; their unrestrained dogs have killed shop cats and mauled our shop pet dogs; they have cost me over a quarter million dollars in direct damage and business losses.

Having said that- they are part of the area and I live and let live. I know the legal limits for them and myself and I respect that. I call the police when needed and not on a whim. They have to live somewhere and my near urban core area is better than suburbia or the CBD. I think they should not be allowed to leave their junk on public right of ways and that should be stopped and the junk removed. I understand that the city budget is strained by COVID expensed and revenue losses, so it might not be a big a priority today as it has been in the past.

d-usa
02-07-2021, 03:40 PM
This is a good visible reminder of what our progress has done to those less fortunate. It’s a small thing for most of us, but many new developments are build in areas where homeless camps were previously located (and were often out of sight there).

Penn & Memorial is an active intersection and many homeless call that area home, but many of their previous campsites are no longer there. Chisholm Creek resulted in cleaning out many camps, just as one example.

LocoAko
02-07-2021, 03:51 PM
Don't Nextdoor my OKCTalk. :)

But in all seriousness, what is the solution? Just kicking them out, destroying their things and forcing them to move on to the next location in some sort of cycle? It does seem to be getting more visible and prominent (the Classen/Western/OKCBlvd intersection is often completely covered in trash and tents), but beyond the obvious assistance so many require that the city isn't prepared/able to offer, I don't know what forcing them out of sight so that you don't have to have the horrible experience of seeing these people accomplishes.

mugofbeer
02-07-2021, 07:02 PM
The Mayor of Aurora, CO, Mike Coffman, recently spent a week living anonymously in homeless camp. I urge you to read his first-hand accountvof his experience.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/12/mike-coffman-homeless-aurora/

Dob Hooligan
02-07-2021, 07:04 PM
It’s illegal for them to camp on City property or right of way. I am not trying to be smart aleck by making that direct statement. There is plenty of land in any area of the City that they can squat in.

30 feet outside of my building we cleared out a military veteran who had set up a 400 square foot camp. He went 5 feet inside the edge of the trees and cleared out his space, using green and black tarps and trash can liners as walls. This made it hard to identify from any distance. He good wind protection and had made some areas covered from rain. He kept coolers, solar chargers, bicycles, carts, tables and chairs in his camp. We gave him a couple months heads up that we were cutting down his area. He moved to a space closer to the Linwood area IIRC.

The only positive from letting them camp in public spaces is to make ourselves feel guilty for their situation.

HangryHippo
02-07-2021, 07:08 PM
It’s illegal for them to camp on City property or right of way. I am not trying to be smart aleck by making that direct statement. There is plenty of land in any area of the City that they can squat in.

30 feet outside of my building we cleared out a military veteran who had set up a 400 square foot camp. He went 5 feet inside the edge of the trees and cleared out his space, using green and black tarps and trash can liners as walls. This made it hard to identify from any distance. He good wind protection and had made some areas covered from rain. He kept coolers, solar chargers, bicycles, carts, tables and chairs in his camp. We gave him a couple months heads up that we were cutting down his area. He moved to a space closer to the Linwood area IIRC.

The only positive from letting them camp in public spaces is to make ourselves feel guilty for their situation.
What are you babbling about? They’re homeless during one of the coldest weeks we’ve had in years for Gods sake.

mugofbeer
02-07-2021, 07:19 PM
Denver let homeless camp on public space for a while. Central Denver has many areas where homes and apartment buildings butt directly up to sidewalks so, of course, homeless set up shop directly outside people's houses and businesses and around urban schools.

After significant opposition, even from people who considered themselves homeless advocates, it was letting homeless live too upfront and personal, especially for those with children so Denver took a different tact and has set up vacant areas for camps to be set up.

The one thing that neither Dob Hooligan or Mayor Coffman mentioned is the significant amount of dangerous drug paraphernalia they leave behind and live in.

mugofbeer
02-07-2021, 07:20 PM
What are you babbling about? They’re homeless during one of the coldest weeks we’ve had in years for Gods sake.

Why are you answering as if he is referring to just right now. I think it's clear this has gone on for a significant amount of time.

Dob Hooligan
02-07-2021, 07:44 PM

We cleared out the space in July 2019

Dob Hooligan
02-07-2021, 08:03 PM
I have been around a few abandoned camps over the years and most of what would be considered drug paraphernalia are aerosol cans. In fact, the majority of 911 calls we have made the last 3 or 4 years have been due to flash fires in the camp. Which I suspect is from some kind of huffing or drug smoking accident. Never saw a bunch of used needles.

d-usa
02-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Denver let homeless camp on public space for a while. Central Denver has many areas where homes and apartment buildings butt directly up to sidewalks so, of course, homeless set up shop directly outside people's houses and businesses and around urban schools.

After significant opposition, even from people who considered themselves homeless advocates, it was letting homeless live too upfront and personal, especially for those with children so Denver took a different tact and has set up vacant areas for camps to be set up.

The one thing that neither Dob Hooligan or Mayor Coffman mentioned is the significant amount of dangerous drug paraphernalia they leave behind and live in.

Mayor Coffman directly addresses the drug use in encampments in the article.

mugofbeer
02-07-2021, 08:33 PM
He did but not so much the needles, urine filled bottles, bloody rags and clothes and chemical containers they leave where they camp. They also use the rivers as bathrooms - keep in mind, people frequently use these rivers for swimming, rafting and kuyacking.

My wife is a huge urban hiker here in Denver. Encampments are back in the trees all up and down the Platte River and Cherry Creek. She has seen and reported many used needles, pee bottles and other drug use byproducts as she's hiked. They do commit crimes and vandalize in those neighborhoods near their camps.

One of my wife's good hiking friends was beaten with a 2x4 by a homeless guy by the river last summer. She will recover but suffered brain damage. They do things like string wire across the trail and yank it up when bikers come near. Last week a homeless guy on the river went into a Wal Mart and set 5 fires in the store with lantern fluid.

Plutonic Panda
02-07-2021, 10:14 PM
Mug, those people need help. They shouldn’t be on the street and it’s inhumane to let them suffer like that. Same crap happens in LA and worse.

Ward
02-07-2021, 11:13 PM
A week or two go I was southbound on Lake Hefner Parkway and took the NW 63rd St exit. I was set up to turn left and go east on 63rd St. I was first at the red stop light so I had a moment to look around.

To my left I saw a guy and he had a tent set up right there, immediately to my left. I was astonished because there is no shelter there from the wind and there is certainly a lot of traffic noise.

I'm still astonished at that.

I used to work at Reno & MacArthur. Roughly a year ago there was a news report that there was smoke coming out of the storm drain, right by the OnCue. The news reported the fire department came out, didn't see flames so they investigated further. They found out people were living down there. Cooking, living, etc. Man o man, that's scary, living in a storm drain. It's scary to think about when a rain comes and it fills up.

From Thanksgiving to Christmas of 2019 while on the way to work I'd be greatly surprised while driving to see someone sleeping on the sidewalk. I mean right on the sidewalk. Saw one on the sidewalk on Reno just north of the new little hospital on Reno & Rockwell. One day I saw a guy sleeping on the bench at the bus stop just to the East of the OnCue at Reno/MacArthur. He had his stolen shopping cart, all loaded up, right at the bench. He was sleep, under blankets, and his boots under the bench.

My heart goes out to these homeless. But for the Grace of God I have a nice comfortable home to live in, a car, etc.

You can feel and think anyway you want, but these homeless people are still God's children.

I don't know the answer as to how to help them. Too many are there for God only knows why. Many don't want help.

This makes me very sad.

Midtowner
02-08-2021, 06:28 AM
We have a decent sized camp over by the OKC Boulevard along the old I-49 right of way. There are always a lot of homeless under the bridge over there too. Lots of drugs and mental illness. The police occasionally clear the camps and they pop right back up. These people have no place to go. I expect some deaths over the next few days from the cold. I’m not sure that pearl clutching is really the move here. It is what it is. The city would be smart to offer services in a concentrated area to try and alleviate the blight elsewhere.

bucktalk
02-08-2021, 07:26 AM
I have ministered to homeless camps several times over the years. The struggle, which have limited ideas to deal with, is the fact many homeless have no intention of being a part of a structured or 'regular' part of society by keeping a job and providing for themselves. This problem is the classic, 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink'. I fear that even if housing can be provided, many homeless will not take part. Homeless have made a life decision to live life apart from society and suffer the results. Sadly, the danger and disease in homeless camps is very real for them and others. This issue is so complicated. For those who say, "they just need our help" don't understand the nuisances of the issues. Those who say, "move them out or put them away" don't understand the nuisances of the issue.

TheTravellers
02-08-2021, 07:55 AM
... Some Homeless have made a life decision to live life apart from society and suffer the results. ...

fify. There are *lots* of homeless out selling Curbside Chronicle, and they obviously haven't made that decision, they've made the opposite - they want to get back into a house.

bucktalk
02-08-2021, 07:59 AM
fify. There are *lots* of homeless out selling Curbside Chronicle, and they obviously haven't made that decision, they've made the opposite - they want to get back into a house.

"Some"...yes.

Anonymous.
02-08-2021, 09:35 AM
City needs to open the Cox Convention Center these next two weeks for these people. They will not survive.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021020812/gfs_T2m_scus_29.png

Dob Hooligan
02-08-2021, 09:43 AM

I don't get that impression from the people selling Curbside Chronicle at all. I think it is a quick way to make some cash. And good for the. What they do with the money is their business, not mine.

Bunty
02-08-2021, 09:43 AM
Probably OKC has an improved reputation with the homeless as a good place to go. Maybe MAPS part for homeless. If you don't want them around, don't feed them and they might move on. They could help their own reputation by not committing crime and vandalism, but I suppose that is too much to ask for. But one shouldn't reward that kind of behavior by feeding them. If there are any good, decent ones, the bad ones are always going to ruin it for them. If people really want to help the homeless, they better find out what works in other states and other countries to keep the problem down.

TheTravellers
02-08-2021, 09:47 AM
I don't get that impression from the people selling Curbside Chronicle at all. I think it is a quick way to make some cash. And good for the. What they do with the money is their business, not mine.

How cynical, even more so than me, and that's saying something. Have you ever read a story in any issue about vendors finding housing or found out how many homeless have gotten housed through their program? Over 700 in 2019, guess they did something responsible with all that cash they got, how bizarre....

Oh, and if a homeless person wanted a quick way to make some cash, going to the Curbside Chronicle office, picking up an apron, and paying 75 cents each for an issue, then going back out and selling them is *not* that way. A quick way for a homeless person to make some cash is to write a plea on a piece of scrap cardboard and stand on a corner or median (and no, I don't give to them, only to Curbside vendors).

LocoAko
02-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Probably OKC has an improved reputation with the homeless as a good place to go. Maybe MAPS part for homeless. If you don't want them around, don't feed them and they might move on. They could help their own reputation by not committing crime and vandalism, but I suppose that is too much to ask for. But one shouldn't reward that kind of behavior by feeding them. If there are any good, decent ones, the bad ones are always going to ruin it for them. If people really want to help the homeless, they better find out what works in other states and other countries to keep the problem down.

Is this a serious post? "If you stopped feeding them they'd go away"? These are other human beings we're talking about. Even if there are bad apples in the mix causing issues (which people seem all too eager to use as a reason to write off the entire group of people as unworthy), people deserve not to starve or freeze to death. My goodness.

HangryHippo
02-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Don’t feed the homeless? I recognize this is a very complex situation with no easy solutions, but that’s a real asshole thing to say.

Midtowner
02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
They could help their own reputation by not committing crime and vandalism, but I suppose that is too much to ask for. But one shouldn't reward that kind of behavior by feeding them. If there are any good, decent ones, the bad ones are always going to ruin it for them.

Wow. Let's think a little bit about your use of the pronounse "they" and "them." There are untold numbers of reasons people find themselves homeless. Most are due to bad choices or mental illness. Others are there because they never really took responsibility for themselves. Others are there by choice. They're people and their backgrounds are diverse. To lump in many peaceful, law abiding individuals in with those who are committing crime and vandalism is completely unfair.

And we have around 4,000 guests of the county in jail right now--all of who we make sure to feed. Most of them probably did commit crimes to be there. They deserve to eat. So do the homeless. I figured that in the richest country in the world, there might be some consensus on that point.

oklip955
02-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Most of us do not have the knowledge and resources to make a difference in helping the homeless population ourselves. We can acknowledge that there is a major problem with homelessness, one that is not easily fixed. I would ask that those of you replying to this tread please pull out an extra $5 and give it to one of the organizations who do understand and are trying to work with the homeless to solve the problem. If you can give them more then so be it. They have a much better understanding of the problems and challenges to solving the problem. Please help them help these people.

bucktalk
02-08-2021, 11:42 AM
You wonder if those cry out 'someone should do something' if personally they try to help. It's far easier to say what should be done than it is to roll up your sleeves, open your checkbook and actually help. Often times the "someone needs to help" might actually be you. Talking about the problem is easy. Personal action/involvement to solve the problem is rarely easy.

atolbert
02-08-2021, 11:47 AM
City needs to open the Cox Convention Center these next two weeks for these people. They will not survive.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021020812/gfs_T2m_scus_29.png

I grew up in Chicago and frequently saw the homeless survive in sub zero temps. I'm not sure how they managed to do it, but I do know that often times many of the homeless would commit small petty crimes solely to be arrested and placed in jail for the night. The jail would provide them shelter and a warm meal. Not the most orthodox way to survive the cold, but certainly an interesting thought process.

Dob Hooligan
02-08-2021, 11:59 AM
A vacant school building in the 1400 block of NW 3rd is being used as a cold weather warming center. Providing food and shelter for a few hundred IIRC.

mugofbeer
02-08-2021, 08:29 PM
Yeah, not feeding at all is a little inhumane. Not giving money to the cardboard cowboys is a long-term option. Multiple cities that are perceived as "friendly" to homeless are being absolutely overrun.

Referring back to the Aurora, CO Mayor living in homeless encampments for a week, it has been said in the debate between him and his supporters is the worst thing you can do is give cash to them. It is simply enabling them. They're trying using a couple of old hotels in Denver but as soon as they were converted and opened they're having great trouble in them with vandalism, meth cooking, drug and alcohol abuse, fighting and all the crimes you can imagine would happen.

Compassion and empathy is quickly challenged by being taken advantage of and manipulation of the truth by professional advocates.

OKCbyTRANSFER
02-08-2021, 08:34 PM
I grew up in Chicago and frequently saw the homeless survive in sub zero temps. I'm not sure how they managed to do it, but I do know that often times many of the homeless would commit small petty crimes solely to be arrested and placed in jail for the night. The jail would provide them shelter and a warm meal. Not the most orthodox way to survive the cold, but certainly an interesting thought process.

Grew up in Philly, many would sleep on the steam/subway vents on the sidewalks.

Side note, I donate to the local organizations, vs just handing out money to someone on the corner.

oklip955
02-08-2021, 08:37 PM
I try to give a little to the organizations that do provide services to the homeless. I dont give to the homeless directly but to the groups that provide services. From those who do provide help to the homeless, there is help for those who want it. The problem is those that dont want to follow rules. At least for those there are meals that they can obtain if they remain close to where the services are. I am just saying help the groups that try to do the most good to help the homeless.

mugofbeer
02-08-2021, 08:38 PM
Of course there are homeless that are truly able to work but can't find it. Help or actual work should be available through the city. There are also homeless who are abusers and need/want help. This should and is available in large cities.

The unfortunate fact and verified by Mayor Coffman is most refuse assistance, don't want to go to shelters, don't want to stop alcohol and drug use or are mentally unable to make rational decisions.

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court ruled that the homeless can't be taken for their own good from the street for treatment.

OKCbyTRANSFER
02-08-2021, 08:42 PM
A vacant school building in the 1400 block of NW 3rd is being used as a cold weather warming center. Providing food and shelter for a few hundred IIRC.

Homeless Alliance has it set up with other agencies at 3rd and McKinley.