View Full Version : Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

dwellsokc
11-30-2020, 05:54 AM
According to the City's map ( https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=20418 ), there are 6-8 active work zones. The areas indicated as "1st Pass Complete," aren't located near the apparent start points, and there seems to be very little progress. Has anyone seen crews working?

What is the status of storm debris pickup?

Pete
11-30-2020, 06:06 AM
Yes, I live near Penn Square and they cleared some of the neighboring streets.

There is a LOT to do. This is going to take months.

bombermwc
11-30-2020, 06:34 AM
So if they started at what, 23/rd Western, anyone know how far out they've gotten from there yet? If they're up to Penn Square then that means the should be making fairly good progress since that's an extremely dense area to start with. I haven't seen any movement more towards the SE yet so i'm just curious.

GoGators
11-30-2020, 07:24 AM
According to the City's map ( https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=20418 ), there are 6-8 active work zones. The areas indicated as "1st Pass Complete," aren't located near the apparent start points, and there seems to be very little progress. Has anyone seen crews working?

What is the status of storm debris pickup?

I've seen crews working. They are going around in lines of large trucks that remind me of sandcrawlers from star wars. I've seen them working around the area of Reno and May and they have already made a pass down my street in Gatewood. Its a little hard to tell what the pattern is, but they are definitely on it.

dwellsokc
11-30-2020, 10:53 AM
I've seen crews working. They are going around in lines of large trucks that remind me of sandcrawlers from star wars. I've seen them working around the area of Reno and May and they have already made a pass down my street in Gatewood. Its a little hard to tell what the pattern is, but they are definitely on it.

Gatewood is located at one of the Walker/23rd starting quadrants, but Reno and May is well outside the "Currently Working" blue area... Something tells me the City isn't following its own plan.

GoGators
11-30-2020, 11:23 AM
Gatewood is located at one of the Walker/23rd starting quadrants, but Reno and May is well outside the "Currently Working" blue area... Something tells me the City isn't following its own plan.

I should rephrase that. My original post isn’t completely accurate. I’ve seen the line of trucks at the intersection of Reno and May several times on different days. Not necessarily working the area but traveling through.

AP
11-30-2020, 12:01 PM
So if they started at what, 23/rd Western, anyone know how far out they've gotten from there yet? If they're up to Penn Square then that means the should be making fairly good progress since that's an extremely dense area to start with. I haven't seen any movement more towards the SE yet so i'm just curious.

I live at 23rd and Penn and they haven't made it to us yet.

sooner88
11-30-2020, 01:44 PM
They've done pretty much all of Crown Heights, but haven't done my street yet. Hard to figure out exactly how they're deciding which streets to do or not do first.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
11-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Saw a truck one day last week with a temp logo on it with st Louis on the door on 17th just north of plaza. Only a few yards were cleared from what I can see

SoonersFan12
11-30-2020, 04:15 PM
They picked up the branches from my yard last week and cleared all the neighbor's yards

Thomas Vu
11-30-2020, 05:18 PM
I saw a truck at around 16th and classen. It looks like they were running branches through a shredder of sorts.

Bill Robertson
11-30-2020, 05:47 PM
I'm hoping they aren't too anal about things like "too close to mailboxes". Our lots are narrow but deep so between a two car driveway and the brick mailbox there isn't too much room between my mailbox and the neighbors driveway. I took down a whole tree and the neighbor about half of theirs so from my mailbox to the neighbors driveway is 6 feet wide and 6 to 7 feet high all the way. I have a while to wonder being near Hefner & Council.

thunderbird
11-30-2020, 06:13 PM
Nichols Hills was almost too fast, pickup started on Monday or Tuesday after the storm. I did not even have time to disassemble the 4 large trees and get them to the curb in time. Now I'm stuck with 6 truck loads full of limbs.

Bellaboo
12-01-2020, 09:33 AM
Saw a truck one day last week with a temp logo on it with st Louis on the door on 17th just north of plaza. Only a few yards were cleared from what I can see

In Yukon, one of the truck and trailers were from Gainesville Florida. They finished the first pass of the entire town 2 weeks ago and started the last pass yesterday.

Dob Hooligan
12-01-2020, 11:08 AM
I read yesterday that it is expected to be sometime in March before OKC proper is picked up.

dwellsokc
12-03-2020, 06:06 AM
They've done pretty much all of Crown Heights, but haven't done my street yet. Hard to figure out exactly how they're deciding which streets to do or not do first.

I live in Crown Heights too. Some streets were cleared a few weeks ago, but there seems to have been absolutely no more activity since then. I understand that it's a mammoth task, and it'll be months before it's completed, but something seems to be wrong with the City's plan. Are they following their plan, or flexing it to quiet the squeakiest wheels?

LocoAko
12-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Nothing so far here in Military Park despite being in the alleged focus zone. I did see a truck in Central Park over a week ago, but that's about it.

sooner88
12-03-2020, 07:48 AM
I live in Crown Heights too. Some streets were cleared a few weeks ago, but there seems to have been absolutely no more activity since then. I understand that it's a mammoth task, and it'll be months before it's completed, but something seems to be wrong with the City's plan. Are they following their plan, or flexing it to quiet the squeakiest wheels?

They picked our yard up on Tuesday fortunately.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
12-08-2020, 09:07 AM
They made some progress between 18th & 20th just west of Classen yesterday.

Thomas Vu
12-08-2020, 09:45 AM
I saw the truck on the other side of my neighborhood. Sadly it doesn't look like they crossed into mine and went towards classen.

Bill Robertson
12-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Yesterday afternoon there was a big truck with a big claw picking up storm debris on N Meridian between NW 23 and NW 30 about 4PM. It was being followed by a City of OKC service truck. This area isn't anywhere near where the map shows them working.

jn1780
12-28-2020, 12:55 PM
The staging area for the cleanup crews is at the fairgrounds. There are over a hundred of those "sandcrawer" from Starwars like trailers parked yesterday. They were in my area a week or two ago, they picked up the larger piles but left the smaller ones behind. I guess the second pass is where they get what's left.

Pete
01-04-2021, 05:04 PM
The good news is that they picked up my pile today (near 50 Penn Place).

The bad news is that claw thing tore the crap out of my lawn.

Bill Robertson
01-04-2021, 05:13 PM

I'm sure if the claw operators aren't really good and/or careful tearing up lawns would be easy to do. Hopefully most operators care.

Pete
01-04-2021, 05:16 PM
I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Pretty brutal.

Bill Robertson
01-05-2021, 07:11 AM
I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Pretty brutal.
Apparently you're not the only one. The Morning Animals were talking about it this morning.

LocoAko
01-05-2021, 07:58 AM
Apparently you're not the only one. The Morning Animals were talking about it this morning.

Yep. There are people on my street that have what appear to be a roughly 4 ft x 4 ft x 1 ft trench dug out of their yard near the street. Yikes.

TheTravellers
01-05-2021, 08:01 AM
The guys doing the Venice neighborhood are apparently trained better than any of those - the lawns aren't disturbed, there's just a small pile of leaves left where each stack of limbs was.

Pete
01-05-2021, 08:21 AM
Doesn't look quite so bad in the light of day. Still, there is a big chunk that was gouged out and a bunch of ruts.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/yard010521a.jpg

GoGators
01-05-2021, 08:27 AM
The guys doing the Venice neighborhood are apparently trained better than any of those - the lawns aren't disturbed, there's just a small pile of leaves left where each stack of limbs was.

We must have had the same crew in Gatewood. Those guys were surgical. Once I raked up the leaves left behind it was like nothing was ever there.

AP
01-08-2021, 08:31 AM

The same thing happened to me. I wouldn't be so upset if my lawn was Bermuda as it would fill back in easily. The fescue is going to take some work to fix.

jccouger
01-08-2021, 08:44 AM
I guess we are getting a hard lesson on easements lol

The city is picking these branches up with absolutely no regard to lawns. Guess it is what it is.

TheTravellers
01-08-2021, 08:56 AM
I guess we are getting a hard lesson on easements lol

The city is picking these branches up with absolutely no regard to lawns. Guess it is what it is.

It's not the city, they use contractors, and some of the contractors are doing good jobs, Venice (and Gatewood, and I'm sure other neighborhoods) have had operators that leave no damage at all.

AP
01-08-2021, 09:00 AM
It's not the city, they use contractors, and some of the contractors are doing good jobs, Venice (and Gatewood, and I'm sure other neighborhoods) have had operators that leave no damage at all.

These contractors are from all over the country. I think the one that did my neighborhood was from Arkansas.

Pete
01-08-2021, 09:21 AM
The ones in my neighborhood must have been from West Virginia...

Dug more ground than a coal mine.

ChrisHayes
01-08-2021, 01:07 PM
They finally got to my neighborhood by OCCC in the past few days. It doesn't look like they did any ground damage down here though; thankfully.

Bill Robertson
01-08-2021, 01:26 PM
They supposedly started at Western and went east and west from there because the older areas had more mature trees therefore more debris. Makes sense. Is it my imagination or does it seem though that the further west they get the slower areas get shown as completed. I'm not complaining. Just curious.

bombermwc
01-13-2021, 06:41 AM
240/sooner is picking up as we speak. Got mine taken yesterday.

Bill Robertson
01-13-2021, 07:18 AM
I saw trucks in the neighborhoods off Meridian between 39th and 63rd on the way home yesterday so they're making their way west.

bombermwc
01-14-2021, 06:35 AM
Also, they definitely did NOT leave as clean of a yard as they did for Pete. It was more like what i would expect; leftover leaves/twigs/smaller branches. But nothing that can't just go in the trash can this week.

Jeepnokc
01-14-2021, 06:56 AM
Picked up this week in our hood around SW104th and MacArthur

Celebrator
01-14-2021, 11:13 AM
Just had mine picked up yesterday along with, finally, (and I can't believe it happened on the exact same day!) a long-awaited visit from my arborist to clean up the broken stuff that was beyond my reach! All of the evidence of that October-born destruction was all gone in one day! It's amazing how just getting all of that cleared out of the yard felt like some mental weight was lifted!

Bill Robertson
01-23-2021, 09:10 AM
According to todays map they're working in our square mile. YAY!!!!!

Ward
01-23-2021, 03:16 PM
They picked up mine a couple days ago. It was 87 days since the ice storm. 87 days.

Bill Robertson
01-23-2021, 03:36 PM
On our neighborhoods FB page there are pictures of trucks at the other end of neighborhood. So I bet I'm looking at next week.

TheTravellers
02-05-2021, 09:44 AM
Mayor Holt said this on Lackmeyer's chat this morning, lots of money spent (and that's only for the residential, don't know how much the city is spending for its own crews to clean up parks, medians, etc.), wonder how they're going to balance it out (i.e., what services will be cut)?

"We're spending $10 million on the residential clean-up and hired every credible contractor who came along. "

RadicalModerate
02-05-2021, 04:46 PM
Not to brag or anything . . . The City of The Village had all of the debris cleaned up in less than half the time of the 12 Day Power Outage. (Unlike the previous major ice storm after which the debris laid around for three to six months).

TheTravellers
02-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Not to brag or anything . . . The City of The Village had all of the debris cleaned up in less than half the time of the 12 Day Power Outage. (Unlike the previous major ice storm after which the debris laid around for three to six months).

Um...

Village = 2.56 square miles
OKC = 620 square miles

Bill Robertson
02-05-2021, 05:35 PM
It looks like Round 2 is just about done. Now I wonder how long it will take for all the businesses that stacked debris by the curb will figure out that the city isn't going to pick it up and have it done themselves.