View Full Version : OKC Water Bills

Bill Robertson
11-17-2020, 07:08 AM
Many in my neighborhood got water bills yesterday. There have been a lot of posts about water usage being high to extremely high. Like 200+ dollar water bills when 80ish is normal. Mine was higher than normal but not that much. And everyone says their meters were not obstructed by debris. I know mine wasn't.

securityinfo
11-17-2020, 08:48 AM
I watched the meter reader just take a look at the brush pile in my yard (which I had placed so as to purposefully not block access to the water meter) and keep on truckin'. Didn't even try to look. So there is that. I suppose it will all come out even over time.

shawnw
11-17-2020, 09:11 AM
The city made an announcement that if they could not access the meter because of brush piles they would estimate, and then correct the estimation once they could read the meter in a later month.

Bill Robertson
11-17-2020, 09:14 AM
The city made an announcement that if they could not access the meter because of brush piles they would estimate, and then correct the estimation once they could read the meter in a later month.I know. But I think they're taking the opportunity to estimate a lot of meters that are accessible. Mine is in the middle of the new sidewalk about 2 feet from my driveway. It's clearly visible from the street and completely unobstructed.

Bill Robertson
11-17-2020, 09:17 AM
I watched the meter reader just take a look at the brush pile in my yard (which I had placed so as to purposefully not block access to the water meter) and keep on truckin'. Didn't even try to look. So there is that. I suppose it will all come out even over time.
I'm sure the city will make it up in the end but it's just another PIA that people don't need. Especially those that had between double and triple the normal charges.

jccouger
11-17-2020, 09:24 AM
Wait, OKC water has a guy come by & physically check your water usage every month?

I honestly thought that was all done electronically. Woah.

FighttheGoodFight
11-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Wait, OKC water has a guy come by & physically check your water usage every month?

I think most cities do in Oklahoma? I know Norman does it manually. I see the guy pretty often.

PaddyShack
11-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Yukon moved over to electronic, I believe it is just a truck that drives down the street and it picks up each house's data. The guy no longer has to manually read the meter.

securityinfo
11-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Not in my area; we still have a meter dude. Same guy for years. The City even replaced my meter late last year for some reason (probably because I use less water than my neighbors) but did so with a newer version of the same standard mechanical meter.

corwin1968
11-17-2020, 12:21 PM
I thought this thread was about OKC utilities' new website.

Everyone has to re-register and provide their 12-digit account number. I didn't have a clue about mine, because I always pay my bill online and don't usually have a paper statement handy. I called the helpline and, not surprisingly, they were "experiencing higher than normal call volume.....". Luckily, my wife had just gone thru the mail and thrown the OKC statement away. I only had to dig part way down thru the trash to get my account number.

I've been trying for two days to re-register my account and pay my bill. I finally got the re-registration to take but I still can't log in to see and pay my bill. :Smiley099

Martin
11-17-2020, 12:31 PM

Everyone has to re-register and provide their 12-digit account number. I didn't have a clue about mine, because I always pay my bill online and don't usually have a paper statement handy. I called the helpline and, not surprisingly, they were "experiencing higher than normal call volume.....". Luckily, my wife had just gone thru the mail and thrown the OKC statement away. I only had to dig part way down thru the trash to get my account number.

I've been trying for two days to re-register my account and pay my bill. I finally got the re-registration to take but I still can't log in to see and pay my bill. :Smiley099

i had no idea there was going to be a change... usually you warn users about this sort of thing. just tried to go to the utilities page and saw this:

as of right now the whole thing is offline. : |

jccouger
11-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Yikes, I threw that mail away...

What is the new site?

Bill Robertson
11-17-2020, 12:43 PM
i had no idea there was going to be a change... usually you warn users about this sort of thing. just tried to go to the utilities page and saw this:

as of right now the whole thing is offline. : |They changed the site link and the mobile app last week. I didn't have a water bill to re-register which you have to do. Got the water bill yesterday and the app is down. Go figure.

Brett
11-18-2020, 08:23 AM
I had a high water bill but mine was due to a leak that was draining under the slab foundation of my house. I was surprised to find out from my plumber that copper plumbing lines can actually wear out over time.

corwin1968
11-18-2020, 10:39 AM
The website is back up and I was FINALLY able to pay my bill. It only took me three days!

You do have to completely re-register and re-enter payment information on the new website.

catch22
11-18-2020, 07:49 PM

I was surprised to read this also. My meter is tied into a cell-based transmitter.

emtefury
12-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Recommend checking your water bill. I set up on the new website and autopay, however automatic payment did not work. My bill even says do no not pay as payment will be automatic. I had to manually pay for this month.

Pete
12-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Recommend checking your water bill. I set up on the new website and autopay, however automatic payment did not work. My bill even says do no not pay as payment will be automatic. I had to manually pay for this month.

They converted to a completely new website and you have to re-register.

It's a pain because you have to know your account #, which means unless you have it written down somewhere, you have to wait to receive a physical bill.

Bill Robertson
12-10-2020, 01:59 PM
They converted to a completely new website and you have to re-register.

It's a pain because you have to know your account #, which means unless you have it written down somewhere, you have to wait to receive a physical bill.That's exactly what I had to do.

foodiefan
12-10-2020, 05:37 PM
. . . same here. I tried to set up Auto Pay and failed. . received a late bill notice. Took a long time to reach Customer Service but she was very nice. Got my account set up and also said they were not charging late fees not cutting off service for situations related to the change over.

Martin
12-10-2020, 06:59 PM
i pay online but i am not trusting enough to let any organization make automatic drafts out of my bank account. it was a bit of a pain finding an old statement to sign back in, but no huge issues... i suppose all the old passwords were encrypted (at least i hope they were) and so the old user accounts couldn't transfer into a new system.

ctchandler
12-10-2020, 07:47 PM
i pay online but i am not trusting enough to let any organization make automatic drafts out of my bank account.
Martin,
Like you, I don't allow any auto payments/withdrawals from my account. I do online bill paying where I have complete control. Funny thing, the reason I feel this way is the president of my credit union said I should never allow anyone access to my account. His concern wasn't criminal, just that mistakes happen. I don't even write a personal check to a store that scans the check and hands the paper check back. I just use my credit card.
C. T.

Martin
12-11-2020, 05:41 AM
Funny thing, the reason I feel this way is the president of my credit union said I should never allow anyone access to my account. His concern wasn't criminal, just that mistakes happen.

this is exactly why i do it... if i were to get an enormous utility bill, then i'd rather negotiate with my money in my account instead of theirs. it's an extra step each month but i like that it leaves me in control.

foodiefan
12-11-2020, 08:18 AM
this is exactly why i do it... if i were to get an enormous utility bill, then i'd rather negotiate with my money in my account instead of theirs. it's an extra step each month but i like that it leaves me in control.

. . .only for selected bills (water, electric, gas, mortgage) that I don't want EVER to lapse should I be
"unavailable" to make the payment (i.e. hospital or ultimate demise).

emtefury
01-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Recommend checking to make sure your auto pay went through again this month with the new portal system. This is the second month that my autopay didn't work. I recieved a past due email. I tried to re-establish my autopay and the system says I already have auto pay in place. I will have to call.