View Full Version : Ghost Self Driving

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Not sure how well it will work but it seems pretty cool. It is a system attached to your car if it’s 2012 or newer and allows for full self driving on freeways were they claim you don’t even need to pay attention at all. Tesla just rolled out a full self driving beta. I’m seriously considering buying a model 3.

It costs around 3,500 for the install and requires a $100 dollar per month subscription. Supposedly it will become available sometime next year. I am somewhat skeptical of this but I hope it works.

https://driveghost.com/learnmore/?campaign=CMP-01748-Q0S6Z6&source=Facebook&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=paidsocial&utm_campaign=RealSelfDriving_Prospecting_Leads_LC&utm_content=201021_GIF_2Real_GhostCommute_GhostCom mute_ShortReal_DiscoverGhost&utm_term=23845896526200549&utm_placement=Facebook_Mobile_Feed&fbclid=IwAR0auDb_gBL7xoxLjRtkup-hcuvHfoM_xn6D92pagiMZRkiAjXzLPwWTqzA&utm_expid=.LH_LJ83CRNSKC13UTbf2HQ.2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

jerrywall
10-22-2020, 10:41 AM
Even if it works, I wonder if it's legal. How many states are being forward thinking in regards to updating laws to allow autonomous cars? Hopefully they start getting on the ball about this, because it is coming (well, it's here - I think Tesla starting rolling out their self driving software to folks this week)... it's just a matter of when.

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Tesla rolled out full self driving yesterday.

I agree there are a grocery list of laws that need to be ironed out. I suspect police departments won’t like this as it will surely reduce the amount of revenue they make from issuing citations. I also wonder how the car accident thing will work. Will the software maker be blamed? Will the city or DOT be blamed for not maintaining road markings(if that is an issue). Etc..

MikeLucky
10-22-2020, 12:43 PM
That $100 subscription is a bit much. You'd almost be better off getting a new car that already has all the driver assist tech on it. The Infiniti's have really good driver assist tech on them that accomplishes pretty much the same. I know Cadillac does as well, and I'm sure others do too.

catch22
10-23-2020, 09:25 AM
I have a 164-mile round trip commute to work. I would pay the $100/mo no questions asked. My next car will hopefully have as much tech possible.

catch22
10-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Tesla rolled out full self driving yesterday.

I agree there are a grocery list of laws that need to be ironed out. I suspect police departments won’t like this as it will surely reduce the amount of revenue they make from issuing citations. I also wonder how the car accident thing will work. Will the software maker be blamed? Will the city or DOT be blamed for not maintaining road markings(if that is an issue). Etc..

If they use aviation and maritime laws as a guide, the registered owner and licensed operator of the vehicle will still be responsible to safely operate the vehicle no matter what.

Jersey Boss
10-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Um, no thanks. I prefer driving my car not piloting it.
Heck, I sought out the manual transmission option on my last car.

jccouger
10-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Just buy a Tesla.

PaddyShack
10-23-2020, 09:44 AM
I have a 164-mile round trip commute to work. I would pay the $100/mo no questions asked. My next car will hopefully have as much tech possible.

Say what... 82 miles out for me would almost be to Tulsa... Or way past Enid.... Or Clinton! That is a crazy commute and I definitely don't love my job that much.

OKCRT
10-23-2020, 09:44 AM
If they use aviation and maritime laws as a guide, the registered owner and licensed operator of the vehicle will still be responsible to safely operate the vehicle no matter what.

Hopefully it will have cameras monitoring front back and sides of vehicle. Then if there a software problem that causes an accident the software provider should be responsible.

PaddyShack
10-23-2020, 09:48 AM
I would rather leave my car for personal driving and take Trains/buses for long commutes...

catch22
10-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Say what... 82 miles out for me would almost be to Tulsa... Or way past Enid.... Or Clinton! That is a crazy commute and I definitely don't love my job that much.

Colorado Springs to Denver Airport. I love my job. I work 3 (long) days a week and live in one of the country's top-rated places to live.

Plutonic Panda
10-23-2020, 10:10 AM
I wonder if there will be restrictions on its use as like construction zones, inclement weather, or possibly poorly maintained roads they have identified.

mugofbeer
10-25-2020, 11:20 AM
Colorado Springs to Denver Airport. I love my job. I work 3 (long) days a week and live in one of the country's top-rated places to live.

Bet you'll be a happy guy when "the gap" construction is finished.

SoonersFan12
10-25-2020, 03:58 PM
It is scary to be honest, I think I remember reading a story that they were testing out self drive cars and the car ran over a woman and killed her and the daughter sued the carmakers and got a settlement

Plutonic Panda
10-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Yet since then how many human drivers have killed people? Self driving cars even in their infancy have shown to be extremely safe with any incidents being few and far between.

catch22
10-25-2020, 05:50 PM
Bet you'll be a happy guy when "the gap" construction is finished.

Yes. it has been an absolute nightmare. Unforunate that the 3rd lane they are adding is a toll lane. it will need another lane by the time they finish the project.

jn1780
10-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Yet since then how many human drivers have killed people? Self driving cars even in their infancy have shown to be extremely safe with any incidents being few and far between.

"Self driving cars" are still few and far between though. I have seen the Tesla beta test videos, there is still a lot of work to be done on full self driving. If we had perfect roads, with perfect drivers, full self driving would work great, but that will never happen. I would feel better if there was metal/magnets embed in the traffic markings for a car to follow instead of the computer relying on visual data. My human brain has a hard time interpreting traffic markings in Oklahoma. lol

Jersey Boss
10-28-2020, 10:42 AM
GM whupping Tesla in this field.

GM's Super Cruise Crushes Tesla's Autopilot In CR's Hands-Free Test | Carscoops
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carscoops.com/2020/10/gms-super-cruise-crushes-teslas-autopilot-in-crs-hands-free-test/amp/