View Full Version : Slow TaskBar

Todd
11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I consider my self pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computers. However, I've got a weird problem I cannot seem to solve. A few days ago I began to notice that whenever I switch between applications or open programs it takes like 5 or 10 seconds before it will let me switch. I've optimized my registry, defragged, check my refresh rates, downloaded the latest drivers for my motherboard chipset, flash updated my BIOS and STILL this problem persist. I'm boarding on throwing the thing against the wall at this point.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Karried
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm sure you have spyware installed but have you tried running a full scan for bugs and cookie trackers? I use AdAware (free download on download.com) You have probably already done this.

Patrick
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Throwing it against the wall would be my only option.

MadMonk
11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Is fast user switching enabled? Maybe you have another person logged on and running a process that's slowing things down? Sometimes my kids leave their account logged on with their programs still running and it can affect what I'm doing on my account.

Look at your task manager and see if anything is taking up CPU cycles. (r-click on the taskbar, choose Task Manager and then the processes tab.) Sort by CPU % to get the top process. Be sure to check the "Show processes from all users" box so you see processes from every user logged on. While your're at it look at available memory to see if anything is using a large amount of RAM.

Does the problem go away after a reboot for a while and then come back?

okcpulse
11-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Well, Todd, it looks like you've taken all kinds of steps to solve this problem, and, follow MadMonk's advice. Keep one thing in mind while you're in the processes tab in the task manager, do not kill System processes. Doing so will result in serious problems until you reboot your computer. The type of processes running will be listed in the user name column. Keep the processes tab open while you use your task bar to see what happens.

Most likely, it is a hidden process that is the culprit, and it will most likely be running under your user name (i.e., Todd).

Most trojans and spyware tend to be the problem. Hogging sytem resources is a trojan's number one mission that you don't notice, especially since trojans are distguised as completely legitimate programs. Unfortunately, optimizing your registry usually doesn't solve the problem. So for now, the processes tab is the best way to indentify, isolate, and kill the process.

Todd
11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Madmonk,

I tried your suggestions but everything appears to look normal. There is only one user account setup on my system. By the way I am using XP Pro. Here is an image of my Task Manager. CPU usage is low around 2-5%.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/taskmanagerpic.gif

Todd
11-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I did a Google search on "Slow Taskbar" nothing really came up that was relevant.

okcpulse
11-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Try tweaking your spyware, adware and virus protection. Your settings may be too high. If settings are normal, you've eliminated those possibilities. I will thumb thourgh my Windows XP Professional MCSE book while at work to do further troubleshooting.

There may be corruptions in the shell that deal directly with your task bar.

MadMonk
11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Hmmm. Like OKCPulse said, sounds like a trojan of some sort. (good advice on not killing system processes BTW)

Have you done a full virus scan?

Some other things to try:
Download Spybot Search & Destroy and run a scan for spyware/malware. You can get it here (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1).
Video drivers updated?
Be sure to have video accelration turned on and the slider put to full:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/VideoAccell.jpg

None of this may help, but its what I would be doing in trying to figure out the problem.

okcpulse
11-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Ahh, MadMonk, you have an nVidia 6800 GT video card. I am jeaolous, but I will catch up.

ibda12u
11-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Todd,

What are your system specs? CPU Type/Speed MB Brand/Model Mem (I think I saw you had 2gb)