View Full Version : Any veterinarians on the board?

catch22
07-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

Looking for some general advice from a vet if there's one on here. I have a 5-year-old chihuahua who jumped off an ottoman and landed wrong on his front left paw, he has been limping on it but is not showing any signs of pain. I was debating taking him to a vet, but with the holiday weekend didn't want to pay holiday prices at a pet ER. His condition doesn't seem critical, so may take him to a vet tomorrow during normal business hours. I think it may be a sprain, but I am not for certain. Certainly, nothing is broken based on his behavior. He is for the most part wanting to walk on it, and jump up on the bed, etc. which tells me it doesn't bother him enough to discourage that.

Are there any recommendations for home remedies or things I can try to avoid a vet visit. This happened yesterday around this time and I think it was getting better, until I wasn't paying attention this morning and he jumped up on the bed and then back off. I think he re-injured his leg and he let out a little yelp, but otherwise the same condition. No display of pain, or general discomfort. Just a limp when he walks. I checked his paw to see if maybe something sharp got stuck in a pad, or a broken nail etc. and all looks normal. I'm doing the best to keep him from getting on anything he needs to jump off, and limiting his walking.

I just don't really know what to do to help him, I would like to avoid going to the vet if this sounds just like something that will resolve itself in a day or two of rest, but I am not opposed to going to one either if this sounds like something that needs to be checked out by a professional.

thanks in advance