View Full Version : Four Minneapolis officers fired after arrest of man who later died . . .

Pages : [1] 2

Laramie
05-27-2020, 12:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHw-HVreQho

Plutonic Panda
05-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Good. Now murder charges need to be filed.

Laramie
05-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Hope justice given to these officers for this unnecessary death of this individual.

No person already handcuffed should be treated like what you see on this video.

SouthSide
05-27-2020, 01:11 PM
Will be interested to hear what the medical examiner states is the cause of death and the timeline for when the officers called for the ambulance.

OKC Guy
05-27-2020, 01:20 PM
The officer holding his knee on neck murdered him plain and simple. He should never see freedom again in his miserable life. If Minny has death sentence then he should be hanged. Most officers place knee on back and only to cuff. He held knee on neck for over 10 minutes, and didn’t even check on him. The others were accessory to murder and could have stopped it too.

I hope justice is fast and they get harshest penalties allowed by law.

jdizzle
05-27-2020, 01:23 PM
This is manslaughter. While there was no intent (not murder), incompetence does not excuse negligence, which does not excuse a civilians death. All should be tried for manslaughter.

OKC Guy
05-27-2020, 01:24 PM
Here’s the 10 minute video, what a senseless travesty.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CUzlr_1590497244

HangryHippo
05-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Manslaughter my ass. If someone held their knee over your neck until you quit breathing, they murdered you.

jerrywall
05-27-2020, 01:33 PM
And this stuff is what makes the other racist event in the news so scary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acIbrs4d8-Y

Luckily this one didn't escalate like it could have.

Jersey Boss
05-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Pigs

Plutonic Panda
05-27-2020, 01:42 PM
This is manslaughter. While there was no intent (not murder), incompetence does not excuse negligence, which does not excuse a civilians death. All should be tried for manslaughter.
Manslaughter!? These pigs murdered this guy. That is all there is to it.

Brad72
05-27-2020, 01:50 PM
I bet the officer argues he was taught to use this and apparently their policy manual lists the neck restraint as a non-lethal option. Obviously it looks like the policy was misapplied in this circumstance.

catch22
05-27-2020, 01:51 PM
I hope they get life sentence in prison, I hear prisoners really like police officers sharing the cell block.

Thin blue line, my ass.

SouthSide
05-27-2020, 01:58 PM
From the Chicago Tribune: In Minneapolis, kneeling on a suspect’s neck is allowed under the department’s use-of-force policy for officers who have received training in how to compress a neck without applying direct pressure to the airway. It is considered a “non-deadly force option,” according to the department’s policy handbook.

jdizzle
05-27-2020, 02:11 PM
Manslaughter my ass. If someone held their knee over your neck until you quit breathing, they murdered you.

https://www.sevenslegal.com/criminal-attorney/difference-murder-manslaughter/281/

I don't think they set out intending to kill someone. Not one bit. But incompetence does not excuse manslaughter.

jdizzle
05-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Manslaughter!? These pigs murdered this guy. That is all there is to it.

Murder implies intent. I don't think they intended to kill him, and any marginally decent lawyer will be able to argue that. Manslaughter does not imply intent, and is very easy to prove, given this video.

Martin
05-27-2020, 02:35 PM
Murder implies intent. I don't think they intended to kill him, and any marginally decent lawyer will be able to argue that. Manslaughter does not imply intent, and is very easy to prove, given this video.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195 (https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195)

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

jerrywall
05-27-2020, 02:40 PM
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195 (https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195)

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

Yup. They had a shooting a couple of years ago where an officer, when startled, accidently fired a shot through a window and killed a woman. Got sentenced to prison for third degree murder.

jdizzle
05-27-2020, 03:31 PM

I had never even heard of 3rd degree murder. Seems like voluntary manslaughter, to me.

Laramie
05-27-2020, 05:23 PM
OMG, this is worse than I thought...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CUzlr_1590497244

Whatever he did this individual didn't deserve to be executed on the spot by police acting as judge, jurors and executioners.

Bill Robertson
05-27-2020, 05:41 PM
I work for a law enforcement training center that has a ton of force on force training that all officers have to attend. I’m sure that police force has similar requirements. The officer knew what force was required and acceptable. Even with that knowledge he went WAY over the line. To me that qualifies as murder. The other three should get manslaughter for not stopping it.

Jersey Boss
05-27-2020, 05:56 PM
I had never even heard of 3rd degree murder. Seems like voluntary manslaughter, to me.

Statutes are a state thing. I'm guessing your not familiar with Minnesota law.

Jersey Boss
05-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Yup. They had a shooting a couple of years ago where an officer, when startled, accidently fired a shot through a window and killed a woman. Got sentenced to prison for third degree murder.

Mohammed Noor. He was convicted of 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter, getting 12.5 years. First cop in last 16 cop on civilian deaths in that jurisdiction to be charged. The cop was a Somali immigrant and the woman was Austrailian.
The system is inherently a conflict of interest when the prosecutor is considered a law enforcement official.
IMO whenever a cop kills a civilian the prosecutor should be from the state AG office, not the guy who relies on the local FOP for reelection endorsement.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Looks like the riots are starting to get pretty bad. Was shocked by some of the video I saw on Twitter. I suppose the military will need to intervene soon.

ditm4567
05-28-2020, 08:19 AM
I don't think I will ever understand how riots like this accomplish anything. They have burnt down an apartment complex and an Autozone, looted and destroyed an entire Target, and destroyed countless other establishments. One person was even killed last night. They are lucky the Autozone didn't explode with the amount of chemicals that are sold in there.

jerrywall
05-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Because peaceful protests and strongly worded letters have been so effective up until now? No , I don't support rioting and certainly the loss of life is tragic. But I understand the anger and where it's coming from. Even if I can't fully understand the experience.

…I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention. - Martin Luther King Jr

Jersey Boss
05-28-2020, 09:12 AM
The product of cops not disciplined for transgressions is loss of life and property. Totally avoidable.

Officer at center of George Floyd's death had history of prior complaints
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-officer-center-george-floyd-s-death-had-history-n1215691

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
https://twitter.com/lizhabib/status/1265813309195862018?s=21

ditm4567
05-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Accomplishing a lot I see

HangryHippo
05-28-2020, 11:49 AM
I get the anger, but if that cop was going to pull over and try to help that guy on the ground, why the hell keep beating the **** out of his car while he tries to stop?

Colbafone
05-28-2020, 12:22 PM
The problem isn't the rioting. The problem isn't in how anyone is reacting. The problem is WHY they are reacting this way. What led them to that.

We need a total restructuring of how we hire and train our police force in the US. This stuff just keeps happening and happening. Don't blame the rioters, blame those who allowed this to happen. Freakin fix it. It's not hard. Stop shooting/killing unarmed people, and maybe more prolifically, stop doing it to black men and women.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 12:27 PM
I get the anger, but if that cop was going to pull over and try to help that guy on the ground, why the hell keep beating the **** out of his car while he tries to stop?
I saw that as well. This isn’t just anger, it’s rage. I get it but this violence and rioting is solving absolutely nothing. It is making matters worse and will further divide people. Hopefully this dies down but it could go the other way and spread.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 12:28 PM
It’s also absurdly moronic to stand and try to block a freeway. You are just asking to be run over and if you catch the wrong person on the wrong day it could be bad. But maybe that’s what these protestors wanted so they have an excuse to be crazier. Who knows.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 02:06 PM
https://twitter.com/mrandyngo/status/1266090703014080512?s=21

jerrywall
05-28-2020, 02:10 PM
Blocking highways is dangerous, but the thinking behind it is the same as what Dr. King was thinking in many of his protests and march. They SHOULD be disruptive and inconvenient. Segregation, equal rights, or even something so extreme like simply wanting to be able to not be murdered in broad daylight in front of witnesses for the crime of being black is not a black community problem. It's an everyone problem. Shutting down the roads, blocking traffic, or occupying a drug store lunch counter are all about raising awareness and trying to force through change. Protests are often about redistributing the pain. Let everyone feel the effects of whatever you're protesting. Many of us can't related and will never be subject to the experiences that the black communities go through with police. But not being able to get to work or get into Starbucks to get our coffee or whatever other inconvenience the protests bring us at least enable us to feel a tiny bit of the pain.

One problem with the focus many folks have on the riots, the burning, the damage, is it's doing several flawed things at once.

1). It's assuming that those stealing or hurting folks or whatever represent the totality or the majority of protesters. It typically doesn't.
2). It completely disregards the absolutely justified anger folks in these communities are feeling (or at least shows a lack of empathy).
3). Images and clips tend to be selectively shown, highlighting some of the worst behavior without the context of the police behavior moments before, or without showing all the peaceful demonstrators and protestors. This has been a recurring tactic by some to paint protestors as thugs and criminals. It's not that far off the logic behind labelling the Tulsa Race Massacre a Riot.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Jerry, I am not sure what your point is. People are now dying because of these “protests.” Businesses that have been shut down due to the virus and on their last leg have been destroyed. A large affordable housing development was just burned down. I’d be more interested in what you have to say if this was happening here or around your property. Business owners that are black have been posting signs stating “this is a black owned business” at an attempt of preventing looting and destruction.

I don’t think anyone is discounting the anger that is felt. This is more to do with the destruction that is happening. It’s counterproductive and won’t solve anything.

Thomas Vu
05-28-2020, 02:53 PM
I maybe missing something in all of this, how does spreading the harm to people/businesses that weren't involved further the cause?

Jersey Boss
05-28-2020, 03:04 PM
Blocking highways is dangerous, but the thinking behind it is the same as what Dr. King was thinking in many of his protests and march. They SHOULD be disruptive and inconvenient. Segregation, equal rights, or even something so extreme like simply wanting to be able to not be murdered in broad daylight in front of witnesses for the crime of being black is not a black community problem. It's an everyone problem. Shutting down the roads, blocking traffic, or occupying a drug store lunch counter are all about raising awareness and trying to force through change. Protests are often about redistributing the pain. Let everyone feel the effects of whatever you're protesting. Many of us can't related and will never be subject to the experiences that the black communities go through with police. But not being able to get to work or get into Starbucks to get our coffee or whatever other inconvenience the protests bring us at least enable us to feel a tiny bit of the pain.

One problem with the focus many folks have on the riots, the burning, the damage, is it's doing several flawed things at once.

1). It's assuming that those stealing or hurting folks or whatever represent the totality or the majority of protesters. It typically doesn't.
2). It completely disregards the absolutely justified anger folks in these communities are feeling (or at least shows a lack of empathy).
3). Images and clips tend to be selectively shown, highlighting some of the worst behavior without the context of the police behavior moments before, or without showing all the peaceful demonstrators and protestors. This has been a recurring tactic by some to paint protestors as thugs and criminals. It's not that far off the logic behind labelling the Tulsa Race Massacre a Riot.
Very insightful and well thought post. Unfortunately it sometimes takes violent action to effect change that is just paid lip service till then.
Until the doctrine of qualified immunity is repealed, cops acting with immunity against civilians will continue with these predictable results.

jerrywall
05-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Jerry I am unsure what you point is. People are now dying because of these “protests.” Businesses that have been shut down due to the virus and on their last leg have been destroyed. I’d be more interested in what you have to say if this was happening here or around your property.

I don’t think anyone is discounting the anger that is felt. This is more to do with the destruction that is happening. It’s counterproductive and won’t solve anything.

I'd like to think I'd say I don't have a single piece of property or a business that I would trade for someone's life (obviously I imagine in the moment I'd be a lot more upset). As for any deaths, they're also tragic, although I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that a lot more folks are dying on a regular basis at the hands of the police (and by extension, the government). I'm in my mid 40s and I've been seeing these incidents my whole life, and they don't seem to be getting less common, and the response to them doesn't seem to be improving. At some point I can't really blame people for giving up on "hopes and prayers". None of that makes the violence or the property damage OK, although I can certainly understand where the anger is coming from. I'm just not interested in focusing on it or treating it like its representative of the majority of the protestors and the movement. It's being used by many as a stick to dismiss the protesters as thugs and criminals which serves a narrative.

BTW - To clarify my previous post - My first paragraph was a separate thought, in response to your freeway comment. The rest more a general thought on folks focusing on the riots and not on the murder by the police and the continued inaction and acceptance in the light of these incidents.

jerrywall
05-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Very insightful and well thought post. Unfortunately it sometimes takes violent action to effect change that is just paid lip service till then.
Until the doctrine of qualified immunity is repealed, cops acting with immunity against civilians will continue with these predictable results.

There's the old story of the dog sitting on the porch whining. A kid asks the old man why the dog is upset. "He's sitting on a nail" the old man says. "Why doesn't he move" asks the boy. "Because it doesn't hurt enough yet" replies the old man. Sometimes society has to hurt enough before it'll move off of the nail.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Jerry, I’m not saying what you said was wrong, to clarify. I don’t value property or possessions over life either. We have to have some sort of rule in society or it becomes complete chaos. People should absolutely have the right to defend their property and possessions with lethal force however.

Yes I agree the police are a bit out of control. The saying that the few “protesters” causing violence and chaos don’t represent the majority also goes for not all cops are bad. Many great police officers out there and this one pig doesn’t speak for the others.

From the videos I’ve seen, the majority of people in the video are engaged in violence or destruction. To the ones that aren’t, why even stay there and continue to participate in that? I’ve been in several protest in my life where I was a part of it and when it started to get ugly I left.

The main take away here is that these people are driven by emotion. I don’t want to call them stupid but what they are doing is not smart but any measure. It will only cause animosity and create more enemies, detract from the real issue which doesn’t have to be about race but evilness in this world, and hurts others which’s makes you or anyone else participating in this no better than the cop that brutally murdered George.

To anyone who is insistent on making this about race, I will say I haven’t seen a single person regardless of race justify the cops actions in any way. I’m sure those people exists but still.

Burn down the police station and city hall. But do your best to make sure no one gets hurt and don’t burn down small businesses. As I said before, I’m not against protestors creating disruption and blocking streets. I’m not condoning it but I’m not going to vocally advocate against it. That’s way different than resorting to violence and burning down the city with blood now on the hands of the protestors. Every single one of these individuals should be found and brought to trial. Clear view AI is a thing that can even identify someone wearing a mask.

Jersey Boss
05-28-2020, 04:21 PM
There's the old story of the dog sitting on the porch whining. A kid asks the old man why the dog is upset. "He's sitting on a nail" the old man says. "Why doesn't he move" asks the boy. "Because it doesn't hurt enough yet" replies the old man. Sometimes society has to hurt enough before it'll move off of the nail.

You write some insightful stories at time. Let me say your reason for face masks and getting pissed on is a gem.

catch22
05-28-2020, 04:33 PM
I think the protesters would be regarded as patriots if they instead dressed as Native Americans and boarded cargo ships to dump all of the containers into the harbor.

Martin
05-28-2020, 05:45 PM
thought this might be relevant to the discussion...
minneapolis incident response from ocpd chief of police wade gourley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hrhUB1W3I4&fbclid=IwAR2sIkO9Q5WEnyAr1r56k1WKnUD--GtpXYy2CZGzQ8lozUTR8vUV5eVvrSs

Teo9969
05-28-2020, 05:50 PM
I maybe missing something in all of this, how does spreading the harm to people/businesses that weren't involved further the cause?

Because eventually cities will come to realize that negligence toward an inadequately trained and vetted police force is costly.

If cities do not move to improve the situation and if our nation's justice systems do not begin to reign down hard on these types of crimes committed by policemen, then this is only going to get worse. Every Mayor of a large municipality (I don't know...100k+?) should be calling a press conference right now to discuss the steps they are taking to improve the training for their police force to ensure better protection for the black community. As we enter what looks to be a period of long economic unrest, people need to understand more people have nothing to lose and if this spins out of control, it's only going to serve to further damage the economy. (And from what I've seen, the Black community has been hit hardest by Covid and are undoubtedly feeling the biggest strain economically, so, double whammy)

Dustin
05-28-2020, 06:44 PM

It's tough. I hate that family owned businesses are being burned to the ground, but at some point you just have to say enough is enough. Rioting doesn't happen out of the blue.

Sure, some of them are opportunists looking to loot, but most of it's anger. Anger that nothing ever changes.

Stew
05-28-2020, 06:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjSTXQJINc&fbclid=IwAR0tziLPeATIIGtnDd5zqBnjWwkGYDMOpaQAQjD44 0h4mfLlPcwAiI5C2qs

Teo9969
05-28-2020, 08:53 PM
thought this might be relevant to the discussion...
minneapolis incident response from ocpd chief of police wade gourley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hrhUB1W3I4&fbclid=IwAR2sIkO9Q5WEnyAr1r56k1WKnUD--GtpXYy2CZGzQ8lozUTR8vUV5eVvrSs

Well...Here's a Data Set to consider:

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/cities

OKC is obviously doing atrociously in the left graphic on that page. So I wondered to myself, how have we been doing *recently*. So I pulled their data set, and isolated all cities who had >= 10 kills originating with an officer over the 2013-2019 period. There were 115 such cities.

I then summed the 2017-2019 and 2013-2016 kills separately and found the percentage of kills that occurred in the most recent 3 years in relation to the previous 4. Obviously when you account for population growth, a flat rate of kills is not exactly 75% of the previous 4 years, but it's close enough for most cities. The Median was actually 82.35% and the Average 95.38%

OKC ranked 42nd out of 115 where 1st means relatively less kills and 115th means relatively more kills. That's 63rd percentile on a scale that values less kills (I suppose that should be notated as 37th percentile for the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd). Our recent-3-years kills as a percentage off our previous-4-year kill was 58.06% so that does look to be an improvement in our rate, even accounting for population growth.

I'd be interested to know when OKCPD began taking the measures described in this video. If within the last 5 years, I think that's probably a good sign that we're taking some good initial steps to improvement.

Unfortunately, from 2013-2019, among the 100 largest cities we still killed a greater percentage of our population than all cities but St. Louis. So perhaps Chief Gourley might have been better to say "Guys, we're actually really bad at this, and we've looked at the data and determined we need to do better".

PoliSciGuy
05-28-2020, 08:55 PM

OKC is obviously doing atrociously in the left graphic on that page. So I wondered to myself, how have we been doing *recently*. So I pulled their data set, and isolated all cities who had >= 10 kills originating with an officer over the 2013-2019 period. There were 115 such cities.

I then summed the 2017-2019 and 2013-2016 kills separately and found the percentage of kills that occurred in the most recent 3 years in relation to the previous 4. Obviously when you account for population growth, a flat rate of kills is not exactly 75% of the previous 4 years, but it's close enough for most cities. The Median was actually 82.35% and the Average 95.38%

OKC ranked 42nd out of 115 where 1st means relatively less kills and 115th means relatively more kills. That's 63rd percentile on a scale that values less kills (I suppose that should be notated as 37th percentile for the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd). Our recent-3-years kills as a percentage off our previous-4-year kill was 58.06% so that does look to be an improvement in our rate, even accounting for population growth.

I'd be interested to know when OKCPD began taking the measures described in this video. If within the last 5 years, I think that's probably a good sign that we're taking some good initial steps to improvement.

Unfortunately, from 2013-2019, among the 100 largest cities we still killed a greater percentage of our population than all cities but St. Louis. So perhaps Chief Gourley might have been better to say "Guys, we're actually really bad at this, and we've looked at the data and determined we need to do better".

This is really good work and important context, thanks

Teo9969
05-28-2020, 09:25 PM

CityRank# Deaths 2017-2019As a percent of deaths from 2013-2016Total Deaths 2013-2019
Westminster11511550.00%13
Greenville11413433.33%16
Colorado Springs11313325.00%17
Clinton1129300.00%12
Honolulu1118200.00%12
Arlington10911183.33%17
Richmond10911183.33%17
Laredo1089180.00%14
Pueblo10712171.43%19
Mesa10615166.67%24
Tacoma1058160.00%13
Springfield10414155.56%23
Amarillo1006150.00%10
Auburn1006150.00%10
Gainesville1006150.00%10
Portland10012150.00%20
Bronx9810142.86%17
Jackson9810142.86%17
Atlanta9314140.00%24
Charleston937140.00%12
Modesto937140.00%12
Redding937140.00%12
Shreveport937140.00%12
Aurora9211137.50%19
Detroit9112133.33%21
Las Cruces879128.57%16
Salt Lake City879128.57%16
Wichita879128.57%16
Wilmington879128.57%16
Spokane8610125.00%18
Anchorage846120.00%11
Lakeland846120.00%11
St. Louis8325119.05%46
Lakewood827116.67%13
Lancaster808114.29%15
Newark808114.29%15
Glendale799112.50%17
Brooklyn7810111.11%19
Billings736100.00%12
Durham735100.00%10
Lexington736100.00%12
Louisville7314100.00%28
Riverside738100.00%16
Columbus722492.31%50
Las Vegas712689.66%55
Albuquerque702488.89%51
Phoenix695288.14%111
Birmingham68787.50%15
Denver672086.96%43
Huntsville66685.71%13
Charlotte651184.62%24
Jacksonville642184.00%46
Akron59583.33%11
Austin591583.33%33
Henderson59583.33%11
Longview59583.33%11
Midland59583.33%11
Memphis581482.35%31
Milwaukee55880.00%18
Tucson552080.00%45
Tulsa551680.00%36
Kansas City542076.92%46
Dayton52675.00%14
Little Rock52675.00%14
San Antonio512472.73%57
San Jose491071.43%24
St. Paul49571.43%12
Decatur46466.67%10
Hamilton46466.67%10
Madison46466.67%10
Cleveland45861.54%21
Tampa43660.00%16
Tempe43660.00%16
Oklahoma City421858.06%49
Boston40457.14%11
Scottsdale40457.14%11
Anaheim38555.56%14
Knoxville38555.56%14
Baton Rouge36654.55%17
El Paso36654.55%17
Houston353553.85%100
Miami341553.57%43
Fort Worth331152.38%32
Baltimore321150.00%33
Los Angeles313849.35%115
Dallas301745.95%54
Sacramento27545.45%16
San Diego271045.45%32
Santa Ana27545.45%16
Fresno26945.00%29
Fayetteville24444.44%13
Nashville24444.44%13
Bakersfield231043.48%33
San Francisco20642.86%20
Tallahassee20342.86%10
Trenton20342.86%10
Reno19541.67%17
Chicago182341.07%79
New Orleans16440.00%14
Philadelphia161040.00%35
Anderson15337.50%11
Long Beach13736.84%26
Seattle13736.84%26
Oakland10436.36%15
Orlando10836.36%30
Washington10836.36%30
Stockton9527.78%23
San Bernardino8327.27%14
Cincinnati7325.00%15
Omaha6321.43%17
Norfolk5220.00%12
Indianapolis4311.54%29
New York3311.11%30
Columbia119.09%12
Compton119.09%12

Thomas Vu
05-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Because eventually cities will come to realize that negligence toward an inadequately trained and vetted police force is costly.

If cities do not move to improve the situation and if our nation's justice systems do not begin to reign down hard on these types of crimes committed by policemen, then this is only going to get worse. Every Mayor of a large municipality (I don't know...100k+?) should be calling a press conference right now to discuss the steps they are taking to improve the training for their police force to ensure better protection for the black community. As we enter what looks to be a period of long economic unrest, people need to understand more people have nothing to lose and if this spins out of control, it's only going to serve to further damage the economy. (And from what I've seen, the Black community has been hit hardest by Covid and are undoubtedly feeling the biggest strain economically, so, double whammy)

It makes it more understandable. I'd have to hope that there's a better way to get there than bring others in. I initially saw this more as a child that acts out when they don't get what they want. This helps.

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 10:48 PM
The “protestors” have now taken over a police building. The police had no choice other than completely annihilate the invaders—which they could have done— or surrender. So the police officers chose the higher path and ran away. This is insanity.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1266206583228432389?s=21

Plutonic Panda
05-28-2020, 11:00 PM
It appears yet another police precinct is being abandoned. What the fu€k. I’ve had my fair share of run ins with LEOs but I support our boys and girls in blue. God bless them and I hope no one gets hurt. 2020 has been a hell of a year.

PhiAlpha
05-28-2020, 11:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtjSTXQJINc&fbclid=IwAR0tziLPeATIIGtnDd5zqBnjWwkGYDMOpaQAQjD44 0h4mfLlPcwAiI5C2qs

Hell yeah, show that old handicapped white lady who’s boss! She must pay for the death of someone in a completely unrelated incident! Burn Target!

There is absolutely a completely valid reason to protest but idiots like this are really hurting the message and the media is eating it up.

Martin
05-29-2020, 06:18 AM

ha... i was looking through that exact site yesterday a few hours before seeing the message from ocpd. while i think it's the right move to get in front of the issue by issuing a statement, i agree that the actual track record doesn't perfectly match the ideal presented in the narrative.

as for the data you posted... poor westminster and greenville, you just condemned them to the top of a 'worst of list'... but is that greenville south carolina? north carolina? or mississippi? i'm assuming you're doing this in excel... i'd use a combination of the city and state to aggregate your results. : )

i also had some minor issues with the quality of the dataset (not to the point of casting doubt on any conclusion based on it), for example... they consider an individual 'unarmed' if they were "not holding any objects or weapons when killed." therefore, in at least one instance they counted a death as "unarmed" when the individual was reaching for his gun. they also included botham jean in their stats. not to diminish the tragedy of the incident, but it did not occur while the officer was on duty nor within the scope of the officer's duties and therefore probably should not have been included.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2020, 06:34 AM
This is bizarre. A CNN crew was just arrested. https://twitter.com/newday/status/1266315061209030658?s=21

jerrywall
05-29-2020, 06:54 AM
This is bizarre. A CNN crew was just arrested. https://twitter.com/newday/status/1266315061209030658?s=21

And they arrested the black reporter and his crew, while another CNN reporter (white) was in the same area, and they just accepted his credentials and left him alone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minneapolis-cnn-crew-arrested/

And they still haven't arrested any of the officers for murdering George Floyd.

TheTravellers
05-29-2020, 08:58 AM
And they arrested the black reporter and his crew, while another CNN reporter (white) was in the same area, and they just accepted his credentials and left him alone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minneapolis-cnn-crew-arrested/

And they still haven't arrested any of the officers for murdering George Floyd.

Yeah, I love the prosecutor's statement about how horrible it is, but they need to determine if the force was "excessive". Um, if it killed someone, it's excessive, full stop, period.

chuck5815
05-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I love the prosecutor's statement about how horrible it is, but they need to determine if the force was "excessive". Um, if it killed someone, it's excessive, full stop, period.

Sure, but that's not how lawyers talk, especially about a pending matter. Grey is their friend.

jerrywall
05-29-2020, 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnXlUfB7VI&has_verified=1&fbclid=IwAR1kRcmVJ-vp8vMwCLgooEi2X3HBi1vmlOIr2GNxirmoNcWi0HqprXF09aE

Take this with a grain of salt, of course. But it wouldn't be the first time in history that damage was intentionally done by folks who are not protesting in order to deflect from a message.