View Full Version : Covid-19 Testing.

kukblue1
05-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Who is doing Antibodies testing? I saw some place but they were wanting $190. Amanda Taylor on News 9 got at test for $55. When is Covid-19 testing going to open up without doctor referral or has it already?

BoulderSooner
05-06-2020, 07:50 AM
Who is doing Antibodies testing? I saw some place but they were wanting $190. Amanda Taylor on News 9 got at test for $55. When is Covid-19 testing going to open up without doctor referral or has it already?

place in moore does it for 60 bucks ..

runOKC
05-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Just be careful, almost no antibody tests have gotten FDA approval. Could be a lot of false positives.

Jersey Boss
05-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Has anti body testing been shown to provide any benefit other than financial to the entity performing the test? Does the testing site also offer documentation of the reliability of the test they are administering? These are questions you should ask before forking over any money.

kukblue1
05-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Just be careful, almost no antibody tests have gotten FDA approval. Could be a lot of false positives.

I think there might be 6 test now approved by the FDA. What place in Moore?

BoulderSooner
05-06-2020, 09:24 AM
I think there might be 6 test now approved by the FDA. What place in Moore?

Physicians surgical center off telephone road

OKC Guide
05-06-2020, 10:49 AM
My wife got one done at an urgent care place in Edmond. Full blood draw. Was $30 co-pay, insurance covers the rest. She got the results in just a few days - unfortunately negative.

Edit: She did not need doctor referral.

https://www.healthcareexpress.us/locations/?address=2300%20E.%202ND%20ST.%20Edmond,%20OK&g=0&t=Edmond

king183
05-06-2020, 11:48 AM
There are no "approved" FDA COVID-19 serological tests in the sense that they have gone through required FDA testing and validation. There are 12 tests that were authorized for emergency use under a policy set in March to allow certified labs to administer tests to determine efficacy for population-level analsyis.

The FDA just revised that policy to be more stringent because the market has been flooded with fraudulent and ineffective tests. Here's what they say:

In mid-March, it was critical for the FDA to provide regulatory flexibility for serology test developers, given the nature of this public health emergency and an understanding that the tests were not to be used as the sole basis for COVID-19 diagnosis, a fact that remains true today. However, flexibility never meant we would allow fraud. We unfortunately see unscrupulous actors marketing fraudulent test kits and using the pandemic as an opportunity to take advantage of Americans’ anxiety. Some test developers have falsely claimed their serological tests are FDA approved or authorized. Others have falsely claimed that their tests can diagnose COVID-19 or that they are for at-home testing, which would fall outside of the policies outlined in our March 16 guidance, as well as the updated guidance. Also, since that time, the FDA has become aware that a concerning number of commercial serology tests are being promoted inappropriately, including for diagnostic use, or are performing poorly based on an independent evaluation by the NIH

Given that, I'd be very wary of these tests until they have proven validity.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-06-2020, 01:33 PM
My wife got one done at an urgent care place in Edmond. Full blood draw. Was $30 co-pay, insurance covers the rest. She got the results in just a few days - unfortunately negative.

Edit: She did not need doctor referral.

https://www.healthcareexpress.us/locations/?address=2300%20E.%202ND%20ST.%20Edmond,%20OK&g=0&t=Edmond

Unfortunately Negative?!?
Are you and your wife fighting?

FighttheGoodFight
05-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately Negative?!?
Are you and your wife fighting?

Maybe she had a bad cold, thought it was COVID19. Turns out it wasn't so now she isn't immune. I mean I would be happy if I tested positive for antibodies since I haven't been since. It would be a heck of a lot less stress!

OKC Guide
05-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Maybe she had a bad cold, thought it was COVID19. Turns out it wasn't so now she isn't immune. I mean I would be happy if I tested positive for antibodies since I haven't been since. It would be a heck of a lot less stress!

Yep. Perhaps Edmond Hausfrau thought I meant a Covid 19 test. This is the antibody test.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Yep. Perhaps Edmond Hausfrau thought I meant a Covid 19 test. This is the antibody test.
I did. Thanks for clarifying!

Jeepnokc
05-07-2020, 07:08 AM
I didn't think there was a clear consensus on whether you were immune from reinfection once you had it? Has something changed or is it still a guess?

FighttheGoodFight
05-07-2020, 07:46 AM
I didn't think there was a clear consensus on whether you were immune from reinfection once you had it? Has something changed or is it still a guess?

The current thinking is that is it highly unlikely to reinfect. There is some evidence that positive tests afterwards are shedding of dead lung cells that have the virus in them but non-contagious. This being such a new disease no science is 100% certain of course.

https://www.sciencealert.com/those-positive-results-from-recovered-covid-19-patients-weren-t-reinfections-after-all

kukblue1
05-08-2020, 05:39 PM
i see more Walmart are going to be doing testing next week but seems you still need an appointment.

Jersey Boss
05-08-2020, 07:48 PM
Nm

Teo9969
05-08-2020, 10:08 PM
The current thinking is that is it highly unlikely to reinfect. There is some evidence that positive tests afterwards are shedding of dead lung cells that have the virus in them but non-contagious. This being such a new disease no science is 100% certain of course.

https://www.sciencealert.com/those-positive-results-from-recovered-covid-19-patients-weren-t-reinfections-after-all

Don't all viruses have some super small percentage of the population that doesn't actually develop immunity the 1st time?