View Full Version : Opening Night 11.1.2005

Doug Loudenback
11-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Opening Night in the Ford Center ... Hornets v. Kings ... sellout crowd (19,000 something) ... we win, 93-67 ... yes, I said NINETY-THREE (93) to sixty-seven (67))!!!

The Hornets finally had a good first half and, coupled with a great second half in which we led by as as many as 31 (maybe 32, I forget), our (and I intend that to apply to NO as well as OKC) marvelous Hornets won it going away!

I'll be posting pics (and a couple of Bee movie clips) as soon as editing and uploading is done, probably in about an hour.

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!

upisgr8
11-01-2005, 09:58 PM
FROM NBA.COM

OKLAHOMA CITY, Nov. 1 (Ticker) -- The displaced Hornets looked pretty comfortable in their new home.

P.J. Brown scored 20 points and J.R. Smith added 19 as the Hornets opened the season with a resounding 93-67 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

NBA TV highlights from
Hornets-Kings: Play
Due to the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina, the Hornets will play 35 of their 41 games at the Ford Center, with the remaining six taking place in Baton Rouge.

The first regular-season NBA game played in Oklahoma City was preceded by a lengthy ceremony that included an introductory speech from Mayor Mick Cornett and Hornets owner George Shinn.

Former King Wayman Tisdale, who played collegiately at Oklahoma, performed the national anthem, and the crowd remained on its feet until the Hornets made their first basket, a layup by Brown three minutes into the game.

The fans had plenty of reason to cheer for the remainder of the contest. After a back-and-forth opening quarter, Brown scored eight points in a 16-2 run that gave the Hornets a 38-27 advantage with 3:20 left in the first half. The Kings shot just 26 percent (5-of-19) in the second period, which ended with the Hornets holding a 44-33 lead.

Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic opened the third period with a 3-pointer before Smith took over in a 14-2 spurt that broke open the game. He made a jumper and a 3-pointer around a dunk by Sacramento's Shareef Abdur-Rahim before rookie Chris Paul hit a layup to make it 51-38 with 9:18 left.

Smith then scored seven straight points, capping the burst with a steal and a dunk at the 7:28 mark that made it 58-38. From that point on, the Kings would get no closer than 16 points.

Stojakovic scored 18 points and Abdur-Rahim contributed 14 and eight rebounds for Sacramento, which forced 21 turnovers, but managed only five fast-break points.

Karried
11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
OMG! It was such a wondrous evening - from beginning to end - magical!

And to top it off - to win so nicely?? It was awesome!

Go Hornets!!!

Doug Loudenback
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Karrie, though only 2 sections away from you at the game (I think you said you were in 105, and I was in 103, but even using my good binoculars, I couldn't find you before the game began) I couldn't locate you and your family. After the game started, I didn't try again (I'm sorry!).

We've got to find better ways to "network" ... I couldn't find Metro at the earlier American Indian Cultural Center groundbreaking, either, though I looked for him by his pseudo and real name ... bummer ... I was hoping to meet both of you.

Karried
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Doug I thought you were in 102 and looked endlessly for you - I was in 101 but when no one showed up for the section marked for Handicap seating we asked to move there to get an unobstructed view and could stand up without anyone behind me - I don't think I ever sat down!

Karried
11-02-2005, 10:14 AM
http://images.snapfish.com/3453%3B82%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2323%3D%3C%3A3%3D7 43%3D3232%3C%3A36528%3B9nu0mrj

I'll try to post some pics of the game - my new digital camera is going to take some time to figure out!

metro
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
We've got to find better ways to "network" ... I couldn't find Metro at the earlier American Indian Cultural Center groundbreaking, either, though I looked for him by his pseudo and real name ... bummer ... I was hoping to meet both of you.

I was the VIP greeter on the main stage. Not sure if you caught me or not. At the game I was over in 212. I didnt end up buying the 101 tickets.

Doug Loudenback
11-02-2005, 02:07 PM
I was the VIP greeter on the main stage. Not sure if you caught me or not. At the game I was over in 212. I didnt end up buying the 101 tickets.

Funny! Then we may have "met" not knowing ... do you remember a guy asking you, "can I come with her?" (sit in the risors with my wife, who was the VIP, certainly not ME, and you (or the guy) said, "Are you with her" to which I probably replied something smart-ass like "Sometimes"? If you're that guy, we DID meet, kinda sorta ... nice sharp looking young man ... I was the short guy with the pretty much white/silver hair (such as that of it which remains), similar beard & mustache, and the impressive big belly girth! Ha Ha!

Curt
11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I just want to know how my Honey Bees are doing...:)

metro
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah I was the guy on the VIP stage, the only one wearing a staff Tshirt and badge with shorter brown hair, i'm having a difficulty picturing you, did you sit on the top right side of stage

Doug Loudenback
11-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Yes. Top row, a little left of center (if facing the grounds). I left around 5:30 when it became evident that the shuttle busses were not shuttling and wouldn't for quite a while ... called a cab to bet back downtown. My face is here: http://www.dougloudenback.com