View Full Version : Proper use of motorized wheelchair

Faith
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I just wanted to get other people's opinions or to see if anyone new the law concerning motorized wheelchairs. Is it legal to drive them on the streets as you would use a bicycle or a motorcycle? If so shouldn't there be laws regarding reflectors for night, helmets, tags, etc.? Or maybe I am being to anal...

I was driving, in Norman a few weeks ago, and I was on a gravel road that only had cow pastures on each side (no homes). I was taking the back roads to 7-11 from my mothers house. This was at 9pm at night, completely dark. I saw a light flickering and slowed down. As I approached the light I saw that it was a very large woman (300 to 400lbs) driving a motorized wheelchair ( about 5 to 7mph) with a child ( about 10 years old talking on a cell phone) in her lap. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What were they doing out there and I started thinking what if it had been a drunk driver going down that street and didn't see them. I was going to call the cops but I didn't know if it was legal or not. I asked my mother who lives 2 miles away, and she informed me that this woman gives children rides on her wheelchair to the store all the time.

Curt
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
No it is absolutley NOT legal. Not here anyway.

sweetdaisy
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
I've seen many more wheelchairs on the road recently! Some motorized, some are not. I've had the same "legal" questions...what is the law on this? Mostly, I'm frightened someone is going to hit these folks...