View Full Version : Peloton Bike

AP
04-16-2020, 05:00 PM
My wife and I have been thinking about getting a peloton for months now. Do any of you own one? How do you like it? What is the shoe sizing like?

Bill Robertson
04-16-2020, 05:44 PM
I don’t have one but I have looked seriously at them online. As far as shoes they look like many common cycling shoes from many brands. From years of buying cycling gear I would buy a size bigger than my normal street shoe size. Cycling shoes always fit tight in my experience.

Roger S
04-17-2020, 07:17 AM
My girlfriend has one that gets mostly used as a coat rack because she prefers to be outdoors.... Having seen it in action though they are pretty cool but pricey.

When you have it displaying a trail it at least helps with the feeling of going nowhere that I struggle with on my elliptical.

DKG
04-17-2020, 08:41 AM
My wife and I bought one a couple of months ago, It mostly sat for the first few weeks but then all the quarantining started and we have both been using it almost every single day. Really enjoy the ability to take a prerecorded class ride any time that's convenient and have even tried a couple of the live rides. There are also a bunch non cycling activities on the app like stretching/meditation/walking/running etc. that are pretty great. You don't need a bike to access those. I generally wear a size 12 shoe but with the Peloton shoes I got a size 47 (US size 13?).

RedDollar
04-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Cyclists I know tell me Zwift is the way to go Connect a trainer to your outdoor bike. I kinda wish we'd done this.

https://zwift.com/

We have a spin bike and I use YT vids. There's also a Peloton app for $12 a month that can be used with any spin bike. I wanted to get a feel for indoor cycling before we spent the big money on Peloton. Which ain't gonna happen, I've learned that I've got to be outdoors.

I rode at least 50 miles per week all winter. As long it was over 40*, not raining, and wind not blowing 30 mph ........... I could easily get in a 15 mile ride. I've actually had more trouble this past month getting in a ride as I did in January. Its been very rainy and the wind in March always makes it tough. And cycling has to compete with other activities like lawn and garden work.

dankrutka
04-17-2020, 11:54 AM
I bought a stationary bike trainer similar to this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP6JRSQ?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1) for $50 and use my bike. I absolutely love it. I prefer watching shows on my TV to Peloton trainers anyway, but I'm sure you could find free videos.

AP
04-17-2020, 12:06 PM
I think part of the appeal of Peloton for us is the community and competition. Whether that really exists, I guess we'll have to see.

DKG
04-17-2020, 03:03 PM
I think part of the appeal of Peloton for us is the community and competition. Whether that really exists, I guess we'll have to see.

There is definitely a competition component if you want there to be. With others and with yourself (when it comes to setting new PRs for output). There is also a large community, but I haven't been as interested in that as my wife. She does have at least a dozen friends with bikes and they have planned some rides together.

I was skeptical about buying the bike in the first place, since we had a treadmill for a while that we didn't use enough. After we got the Peloton bike and it sat unused more than I expected the first couple of weeks, I worried we were going down the same path. One of the silver linings of the Covid shutdown for us has been the increased use of the bike. I'm a believer now and am glad we have it. I expect our use won't drop off much when things go back to normal. It's a part of our routines that we won't be giving up.

dankrutka
04-18-2020, 08:54 AM

If you desire that then I think you should do it. I just didn’t care about that part of it.

king183
04-18-2020, 05:15 PM
My wife and I have one and we love it. She rides it more than I do because she’s generally more active. It’s a highly quality bike and the classes are top notch. I like it because of the competitive aspect to it—that’s really the only way I, personally, get active.