View Full Version : What Have You Learned Through the Virus?

bucktalk
03-31-2020, 07:07 PM
Surely there are things we've learned about life, each other, family, etc through this virus outbreak. Personally, there were a ton of things I took for granted...simple things like going to watch Thunder play, grabbing a bite out with friends or going to a movie. So I guess I've learned to be more appreciative of things I took for granted but also to appreciate that life has slowed down a bit at the same time so I might enjoy the small things in life.

And you?

BBatesokc
03-31-2020, 08:06 PM
Once we stopped watching the news, I feel guilty saying it, but in some ways it's actually been pretty nice. The wife works at home now, I go into my office downtown, but I come home by 2pm because work is really slow. So we spend a lot of time together bike riding and working the garden and bee hives. I've also gotten closer with my 96 year old grandfather. I don't let him go to the store any more, so I have to make grocery trips for him every couple of days and we chat outside from a distance. He insists on mowing his own yard and playing golf (until Kickingbird recently closed) , so I have to check up on him every night to make sure he's not fallen in the yard somewhere because his wife is in a nursing home and can't check on him.

What we have gained is more of an appreciation for our health (and this is motivation to stay healthier) and I greatly appreciate how good my wife is with money - forcing us to save and put away all the time. Our health and our savings are what have taken a lot of the stress off during this time. We've already lost one dear friend to the virus, so the stress and anxiety are always there that we will loose someone else. But we know we are ultimately helpless to protect our vulnerable loved ones and friends, so we don't dwell on it too much.

There is a lot to appreciate in all of this and a lot to regret. But we do what we've always done, we overcome obstacles and we make the most of them. I just hope others are able to keep the same mindset.

stlokc
04-01-2020, 02:17 AM
For every cloud, there's a silver lining. And right now there are a lot of both.

I've been surprised at the degree to which this virus has actually made me feel more connected to some of my family and friends. Last night was my birthday. As a surprise, my wife set up a "virtual happy hour" for a bunch of my friends. I sat at my computer, she handed me a drink, I clicked a link and there were 12 of my closest friends waiting for me. We talked, laughed, reminisced, etc. for over 2 hours. In our busy world, it would have been virtually impossible to gather all these people at once in normal times as we all would have been moving in different directions with a million obligations.

Another example is a practice I have just started in the last week of taking a simple walk each night and using that time to call a different person each day that I have not talked to in a while. Old friends in distant places mostly. To a person they are so grateful I have called and I have had some really meaningful reconnections. One girl cried that I had thought to call her, it meant so much. Would I have done that in the "normal" world? I don't know...there would have been places to go or things to do.

On the other hand, I have been disappointed that division has raised its head in ways I didn't expect. I always knew this country was polarized over social and political issues but until a month ago I never would have dreamed that a global pandemic, a scientific event, would be interpreted completely differently by different factions of people, and that politics would color how seriously it was taken. That has floored me.

In any event, I will be glad when I can go out to eat and travel again, and see clients in person. I wish this was over. But in the meantime, it's certainly been eye-opening.

Pete
04-01-2020, 06:38 AM
You definitely see many more people outside, riding bikes, walking, going to the parks.

That part is very nice and shows how much time most people stay indoors or in their cars.

Roger S
04-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Once we stopped watching the news, ...... I just hope others are able to keep the same mindset.

Pretty much exactly how I've felt about it.... I also stopped reading all the Covid threads here and I'm happy to see other threads reviving slowly.... Hell even the Restaurant Closing thread coded from the Covid and is intubated right now and on life support.

Probably helps that I'm an INTP so I was already pretty much practicing social distancing before all this.... I also tend to deal with the problem(s) from a rational state of mind rather than an emotional one.

I also have my farm to escape to and between what I grow, forage, and can catch from my pond and creek. I have some comfort knowing I can be self-sufficient for months.

Roger S
04-01-2020, 07:00 AM
You definitely see many more people outside, riding bikes, walking, going to the parks.

That part is very nice and shows how much time most people stay indoors or in their cars.

And sitting on their front porches..... I've also noticed that the drivers seem to be more aware of me on my bike riding around Moore.... Which is great considering we had a spell where it seemed like cyclists/pedestrians were getting hit by drivers way too often.....Seemed like it was in the news more than tornadoes.

bucktalk
04-09-2020, 02:13 PM
From those who are in my sphere of influence everyone seems to be doing quite well with the slower paced life. Most have new appreciation for things they were overlooking pre-Covid19. It takes some effort, for some, to see there are actually a few benefits while enduring this period in history. Hopefully we can maintain a deeper appreciation and not act like spoiled children once thing return to a more normal fashion.

Pete
04-11-2020, 07:20 AM
It occurred to me that it's going to be difficult for many to get back into a work groove when that time comes.

Won't be easy to get up early every day and go back to the daily grind.

Bill Robertson
04-11-2020, 08:35 AM
My wife and I are both working but our jobs are completely opposite. My office has about 25% staff working in office so my job, Building & Grounds Contract Manager, is pretty laid back right now. My wife however, grocery warehouse office lead, is working 60+ hours a week. So I have been doing a lot more than usual around the house and taking special care to make her home life easier. I'm scoring LOTS of brownie points. We get along very well normally but we have been doing even better in this situation. We relate to and respect how each other are adapting to deal with work and home. I hope we can keep this going and not revert to being an "old married couple" again.

Stew
04-11-2020, 10:21 AM
I learned to play the guitar intro for ‘Better Call Saul’.

emtefury
04-11-2020, 01:17 PM
was going to post a thread with the same question.

Not so much me, but businesses that have considered more teleworking is getting to try it out. They are able to see what works and doesn’t work. After this I foresee a lot more businesses doing work at home to save on office overhead. I also a lot more competition to Zoom and they technology for video conferencing escalating to accommodate more teleworking.

I think people, I know I am, getting a feel on what is really important and not so important in life. I heard a lot of people say, I have been really productive the past few weeks around the house.

I see the further demise of cable TV. With many at home streaming services gets a big time benefit because a lot of people who were curious with streaming are checking it out. People have more time to view the content. With the current low price of streaming, it is very attractive compared to Cable TV.

Bill Robertson
04-11-2020, 02:23 PM
I learned to play the guitar intro for ‘Better Call Saul’.I’m becoming a better bass player. Another month of this and I might improve enough to be bad.

RedDollar
04-11-2020, 04:42 PM
was going to post a thread with the same question.

Not so much me, but businesses that have considered more teleworking is getting to try it out. They are able to see what works and doesn’t work. After this I foresee a lot more businesses doing work at home to save on office overhead. I also a lot more competition to Zoom and they technology for video conferencing escalating to accommodate more teleworking.

I think people, I know I am, getting a feel on what is really important and not so important in life. I heard a lot of people say, I have been really productive the past few weeks around the house.

I see the further demise of cable TV. With many at home streaming services gets a big time benefit because a lot of people who were curious with streaming are checking it out. People have more time to view the content. With the current low price of streaming, it is very attractive compared to Cable TV.

I heard Mark Cuban say the other day, that work at home will be a big winner out of this, and because people can work at home and live about anywhere within reason, we will see people move out of high density populated areas. He thinks it will bring big changes.

brian72
04-11-2020, 04:56 PM
That there are more experts than I ever knew existed during this Current Virus. That's why I don't put my faith in Man. You'll always be disappointed.

PurpleChicken
04-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Just a reinforcement of how much better off the common individual would be without the massive burden of taxes. What if the unemployment insurance/tax that employers have to pay were put into individual bank accounts only to be accessed in the time of need. And, if not needed/used, would be put into retirement spending account? What if we dropped all government pensions on salaries that were above a certain level? Does the government pension model make sense? How about all the Social Security money we've paid into the system be put into ones individual account, to be accessed at retirement? Why do we need the government to take care of this money for us? So they can dip their hands into it?

RedDollar
04-12-2020, 09:31 AM
What we've seen so far, is areas with high population density and high usage of mass transit have been hardest hit.

If Cuban is right about people preferring to spread out from cities and work at home, then that will make mass transit a big loser.

At one time, I rode the city bus about once a week. I'm no germaphobe, but I never liked it when people would be coughing, sneezing, and getting their hankerchief out to blow their nose. I tried to get on and off the bus without touching anything. I would not get anywhere near a bus today.

mugofbeer
04-12-2020, 10:38 AM
I heard Mark Cuban say the other day, that work at home will be a big winner out of this, and because people can work at home and live about anywhere within reason, we will see people move out of high density populated areas. He thinks it will bring big changes.

I heard him say that and read others saying the same. I would agree with this to some extent but wouldn't you agree people need a work environment? The incentive to get up early and hit the job isn't there at home. My wife used to get to work at 8am.. Now shes doing well to start working by 10. Unless its your own business, l just see incentive wo actually work at home at a fraction of what it is at an office.

chuck5815
04-12-2020, 11:26 AM
I heard him say that and read others saying the same. I would agree with this to some extent but wouldn't you agree people need a work environment? The incentive to get up early and hit the job isn't there at home. My wife used to get to work at 8am.. Now shes doing well to start working by 10. Unless its your own business, l just see incentive wo actually work at home at a fraction of what it is at an office.

Yep. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of people at any given organization (the stars of stars) who are going to consistently deliver acceptable results from a home office. Sure, there will be a few exceptions who end up logging way more hours and putting up big numbers in the process, but most managers know that most folks are going to take advantage of a WFH situation. It’s just human nature.

Also, we could end up seeing some companies go the opposite direction. They will want folks back in the office, but not in an open floor plan or in rows and rows of cubicles. These companies, mindful of the fact that some measure of social distancing will be required for the next 18-24 months, will seek more space to allow for distancing and meaningful productivity.

Biggest problem for any company, though, is that people are going to be tight AF (think Dave Ramsey tight) for at least the intermediate term. That will present headwinds for almost every facet of our economy.

mkjeeves
04-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of people at any given organization (the stars of stars) who are going to consistently deliver acceptable results from a home office. Sure, there will be a few exceptions who end up logging way more hours and putting up big numbers in the process, but most managers know that most folks are going to take advantage of a WFH situation. It’s just human nature.

Also, we could end up seeing some companies go the opposite direction. They will want folks back in the office, but not in an open floor plan or in rows and rows of cubicles. These companies, mindful of the fact that some measure of social distancing will be required for the next 18-24 months, will seek more space to allow for distancing and meaningful productivity.

Biggest problem for any company, though, is that people are going to be tight AF (think Dave Ramsey tight) for at least the intermediate term. That will present headwinds for almost every facet of our economy.

Productivity differences, cost savings to both the employee and the employer will all factor into WFH economics eventually.

GoGators
04-12-2020, 11:39 AM
I don’t think we will see a mass exodus from highly populated areas. People move to these areas for many reasons besides just access to jobs.

AP
04-12-2020, 11:57 AM

I think people are going to realize, if they haven’t already, that there really is no need to have an 8 hour work day when they can accomplish the same work in 4 hours at home. Going back to the office isn’t going to increase productivity. Just because you are in the office doesn’t mean you are working.

AP
04-12-2020, 11:58 AM

I think people are going to realize, if they haven’t already, that there really is no need to have an 8 hour work day when they can accomplish the same work in 4 hours at home. Going back to the office isn’t going to increase productivity. Just because you are in the office doesn’t mean you are working.

mugofbeer
04-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Being at home definitely doesn't mean there is work being done.

OKC Guy
04-12-2020, 12:19 PM

I disagree. There is lots of work done around water cooler or breakroom or in passing. So many little things that contribute to company are done in person. Some jobs can be done at home but most still need human interaction imo.

RedDollar
04-12-2020, 01:20 PM

My wife is working from home, and trying her best to make it work so well, that it will become permanent.

BG918
04-12-2020, 02:01 PM
I have started working on a new project entirely "from home" through conference calls and video chats. We've been able to get a lot of work done, probably the same amount as before. But the "feel" is completely different. It's just work absent the friendly banter before/after meetings, the after work happy hour, etc It's impersonal and I can't stand it. So maybe some like this but in my line of work it won't be the norm after this is all over, at least I hope to God it's not..

okccowan
04-12-2020, 02:10 PM
I've learned I hate working at home. There are so many distractions with kids and wife at home as well, pets, etc. I have trouble focusing then get anxious because I'm not getting as much done as I want to do. It's frustrating.

BBatesokc
04-13-2020, 04:45 AM

IMO that's going to totally depend on the industry, a person's role, management and the environment they create for themselves to work from home.

My wife's hours have always been 7am - 4pm and half day on Weds. That hasn't changed one bit, other than she loves not having to loose 1+ hours a day commuting. Her office knows what time all employees log into their computers and knows how active they are on them. Her job is also task based. It's pretty easy to tell if she's getting work done or not since she's in HR. Management also schedules numerous Zoom meetings or conference calls. They run such a streamlined business with as few employees as necessary, it becomes extremely obvious if someone isn't pulling their wight. Your working environment is also critical. We have a large room in our house that is setup with its sole purpose to be an office: Two desks, multiple monitors, printers, scanners, file cabinets, etc. It's like stepping into an office anywhere else. She loves that the minute she is off work, she is also home.

Also, some of their Zoom meetings are strictly casual. It's setup for workers to just chat for a few minutes, introduce each other to the family pet, children, etc. and catch up. these last abut 10-15 minutes and are great for morale.

For me, I have an office in downtown to go to and my primary boss lives next door. So I can meet a client at the office or have a meeting with the boss by just walking next door. I find it very ideal.

For those with non-working spouses or kids, it can definitely be more challenging. But really no different than a spouse who is going back to college while also juggling a family life. They still need to put in the hours at home studying or even doing their classes online and remain focused.

chuck5815: Yep. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of people at any given organization (the stars of stars) who are going to consistently deliver acceptable results from a home office.

Totally disagree. Many companies have been allowing workers to work from home for many years and IMO it isn't just the 'stars' who are able to do it. You have people mature and professional enough to work from home without direct supervision and you have people who don't. Being able to do so isn't so rare they are a 'star' IMO. Just like you have slackers in a traditional office and you have people who actually work.

RedDollar: My wife is working from home, and trying her best to make it work so well, that it will become permanent.

Exact same with mine. She loves no commute, sleeping in an extra 45 minutes, and no distractions.

AP
04-13-2020, 07:18 AM
I've learned I hate working at home. There are so many distractions with kids and wife at home as well, pets, etc. I have trouble focusing then get anxious because I'm not getting as much done as I want to do. It's frustrating.

I agree. I do not like it either. I really need the social component of being in the office. But I'll be trading the distractions at home for the distractions at work. My only point is I doubt that people are 100% at capacity in the office and being at home probably proves that they aren't. I doubt productivity has slipped that much.

FighttheGoodFight
04-13-2020, 07:23 AM
I agree. I do not like it either. I really need the social component of being in the office. But I'll be trading the distractions at home for the distractions at work. My only point is I doubt that people are 100% at capacity in the office and being at home probably proves that they aren't. I doubt productivity has slipped that much.

Too true about the office productivity. One day time yourself on how much actual work you do in 8 hours. Time a co-worker. No one works 8 full hours ever.

Pete
04-13-2020, 08:21 AM
Remember, there was big push towards telecommuting when the internet first made it possible.

But studies showed that it really hurt productivity and most people generally didn't like it.

If it was effective on a large scale, most companies would be happy to not rent nearly as much expensive office space. I've been a manager of groups large and small for 30 years and IMO it doesn't work well.

Given that most people work over 40 hours a week anyway, the best plan I've seen is giving half the office every other Friday completely off (9/80: work 80 hours in 9 business days). Greatly improves morale and provides tons of time for short trips or merely take care of personal matters while most others are at work.

HangryHippo
04-13-2020, 11:56 AM
I disagree. There is lots of work done around water cooler or breakroom or in passing. So many little things that contribute to company are done in person. Some jobs can be done at home but most still need human interaction imo.
I don't know that it's lots, but I very much agree with the rest of what you posted. But to AP's point, it seems clear that we don't need to spend 40 hours a week in the office - a day per week might be all that's necessary for a whole lot of folks.

RedDollar
04-13-2020, 12:44 PM
IMO that's going to totally depend on the industry, a person's role, management and the environment they create for themselves to work from home.

My wife's hours have always been 7am - 4pm and half day on Weds. That hasn't changed one bit, other than she loves not having to loose 1+ hours a day commuting. Her office knows what time all employees log into their computers and knows how active they are on them. Her job is also task based. It's pretty easy to tell if she's getting work done or not since she's in HR. Management also schedules numerous Zoom meetings or conference calls. They run such a streamlined business with as few employees as necessary, it becomes extremely obvious if someone isn't pulling their wight. Your working environment is also critical. We have a large room in our house that is setup with its sole purpose to be an office: Two desks, multiple monitors, printers, scanners, file cabinets, etc. It's like stepping into an office anywhere else. She loves that the minute she is off work, she is also home.

Also, some of their Zoom meetings are strictly casual. It's setup for workers to just chat for a few minutes, introduce each other to the family pet, children, etc. and catch up. these last abut 10-15 minutes and are great for morale.

For me, I have an office in downtown to go to and my primary boss lives next door. So I can meet a client at the office or have a meeting with the boss by just walking next door. I find it very ideal.

For those with non-working spouses or kids, it can definitely be more challenging. But really no different than a spouse who is going back to college while also juggling a family life. They still need to put in the hours at home studying or even doing their classes online and remain focused.

Totally disagree. Many companies have been allowing workers to work from home for many years and IMO it isn't just the 'stars' who are able to do it. You have people mature and professional enough to work from home without direct supervision and you have people who don't. Being able to do so isn't so rare they are a 'star' IMO. Just like you have slackers in a traditional office and you have people who actually work.

Exact same with mine. She loves no commute, sleeping in an extra 45 minutes, and no distractions.

How you've described your wife's arrangement, is almost exactly the same as what my wife is doing. And if we knew this was gonna be permanent, we would spend some money to improve her work space.

OKC Guy
04-13-2020, 01:36 PM
I don't know that it's lots, but I very much agree with the rest of what you posted. But to AP's point, it seems clear that we don't need to spend 40 hours a week in the office - a day per week might be all that's necessary for a whole lot of folks.

One other point about work at home. Quite a lot of folks don’t live in a home and are doing it temporary in apartments. Most don’t have a dedicated office either. So to push way more to WAH will be a stretch long term. If one doesn’t own or rent a house they are likely cramped for space and to add another room will increase their costs. Granted, they will have reduced transit and clothes costs but might eat more food at home since its feet away to fridge. You are also more likely to have internet outages at home when upgrade or maintenance work is being done in your area in the daytime hours

Will be interesting to see how it works long term. My guess is some won’t want to work at home and will moss the interactions of coworkers.

HangryHippo
04-13-2020, 01:58 PM
One other point about work at home. Quite a lot of folks don’t live in a home and are doing it temporary in apartments. Most don’t have a dedicated office either. So to push way more to WAH will be a stretch long term. If one doesn’t own or rent a house they are likely cramped for space and to add another room will increase their costs. Granted, they will have reduced transit and clothes costs but might eat more food at home since its feet away to fridge. You are also more likely to have internet outages at home when upgrade or maintenance work is being done in your area in the daytime hours

Will be interesting to see how it works long term. My guess is some won’t want to work at home and will moss the interactions of coworkers.
All very good points. I wonder if this might prompt governments to start looking at broadband internet as a utility?

David
04-14-2020, 08:10 AM
What I have learned is the recommended set of hand washing motions for proper full hand soap coverage.

Maybe some other things too, but honestly that is what has stuck out the most.

RedDollar
04-15-2020, 06:36 AM
The greater impact to society from working at home. What if ... 25% of people now commuting began working at home ...

There would immediately be a large reduction in traffic congestion without any level of govt spending a dime.

The need for new roads would be gone.

The need to upgrade existing roads to handle increasing traffic = gone

No need for future planning for mass transit, which few actually want , anyway.

If you think climate change is a serious concern, then there's an immediate huge drop in CO2 emissiions.

Lesser positives ......

Public health improves through lowered disease transmission in the work place

Lower road maintenance

Fewer auto accidents

And all of this done without any govt intervention or increased spending. In fact, it would save huge sums of taxpayer money that could be spent elsewhere or taxes lowered.

And what if 50% moved to work at home ? wow

jn1780
04-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Remember, there was big push towards telecommuting when the internet first made it possible.

But studies showed that it really hurt productivity and most people generally didn't like it.

If it was effective on a large scale, most companies would be happy to not rent nearly as much expensive office space. I've been a manager of groups large and small for 30 years and IMO it doesn't work well.

Given that most people work over 40 hours a week anyway, the best plan I've seen is giving half the office every other Friday completely off (9/80: work 80 hours in 9 business days). Greatly improves morale and provides tons of time for short trips or merely take care of personal matters while most others are at work.

Yeah, my company is thinking about a 1 day a week WFH after this is said and done.

bucktalk
04-19-2020, 04:25 PM
On a practical side of the quarantine I have learned we CAN eat leftovers better than ever. We used to throw away a lot of leftovers because we'd simple go out and eat for a change of pace. But not now. Sure, we're buying more groceries that before BUT we're hardly throwing any away either.

Bill Robertson
04-19-2020, 05:07 PM
On a practical side of the quarantine I have learned we CAN eat leftovers better than ever. We used to throw away a lot of leftovers because we'd simple go out and eat for a change of pace. But not now. Sure, we're buying more groceries that before BUT we're hardly throwing any away either.We’ve been doing the same. I actually like taking leftovers to work for lunch. Who knew!

kukblue1
04-19-2020, 05:09 PM
That I never really washed my hands. Honestly i would be lucky to do it once a day now I'm like every 2 hours.

Edmond Hausfrau
04-23-2020, 09:04 AM
All very good points. I wonder if this might prompt governments to start looking at broadband internet as a utility?

I think that would be an outstanding idea. School districts would also benefit. Imagine if kids who were sick or having trouble at school could stay enrolled via distance learning. Might eliminate the need for extra online charter schools or pare down the number of rural school districts.

Brad72
04-23-2020, 09:39 AM
I've learned my home state of OK is woefully unprepared for a pandemic of any size.

Mel
04-23-2020, 04:16 PM
Nagging fear. It's been with me since the start of this Crisis. My DIL is a Nurse at Baptist. We watch our Grandsons from 0730 to 1730, 5 days a week. I have five of the preexisting problems that make you a sure croaker. I've backed off going over there as much.

TheTravellers
04-26-2020, 02:42 PM
After watching a segment on the OK Aviation and Space Hall of Fame on Discover Oklahoma last night, that every museum in the world will probably have to rethink every one of their touchscreen exhibits.

aDark
04-26-2020, 08:37 PM
Two young professionals working from home with 2 kids under 3 years old.

This. Needs. To. Stop.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-03-2020, 11:49 AM
I've been thinking more about the WFH question. I think many like the flexibility. I think some bosses feel less work is done at home than in the office but the reality is that many were taking work home with them, checking emails, taking calls after hours. There seems to be some belief that the American worker is shiftless and will look for any excuse not to work. This ties into the complaint from the Sec. of Commerce that Oklahomans won't work with if they make to much$ on unemployment.
If it took a virus to teach me how people in power really view the average worker bee, I guess I learned something pretty depressing.