View Full Version : Covid 19 - Volunteering and Help Needed

Rixon75
03-16-2020, 01:22 PM
I would like to start a thread in which we can all brainstorm and come together in helping our neighbors. I believe that there will be a deep need for volunteers to do quite a bit in the next several months. However, I'm not quite sure how I can be of most help. What are some ideas you all have for people that are not as susceptible, but don't have health care background?

- Start getting list of elderly/sick, especially those without friends/family currently available to them. They'll need "runners" to get groceries and meds so they don't get exposed.

What else, everyone?

Pete
03-16-2020, 03:23 PM
I was just thinking that I need to go check on my elderly neighbor.

Just stop in and see if she needs anything; happy to pick up groceries, etc.

I think this sort of thing would go a long way if everyone just reached out to neighbors or anyone else that might need some help.

rezman
03-16-2020, 03:48 PM
On the Nextdoor website there have been several postings from people offering help to any neighbors who are elderly, shut-ins, immune compromised or in general need of help. Grocery shopping, bringing meals, running errands, taking their trash down and bringing it back up, ect.

I thought that was pretty darn nice.

Rixon75
03-17-2020, 11:51 AM
I was just thinking that I need to go check on my elderly neighbor.

Just stop in and see if she needs anything; happy to pick up groceries, etc.

I think this sort of thing would go a long way if everyone just reached out to neighbors or anyone else that might need some help.

I think that a doctor needs to get a "grocery pickup protocol" out to the public. Those shopping for the elderly can still pass the virus to them by giving them contaminated sacks, produce, etc, I would assume.

mkjeeves
03-17-2020, 12:40 PM
I think that a doctor needs to get a "grocery pickup protocol" out to the public. Those shopping for the elderly can still pass the virus to them by giving them contaminated sacks, produce, etc, I would assume.

Smart thinking. Still better than them going to a store.

It can last 2-3 days on plastic and a day on cardboard. At my house where there are two old people with comorbid issues, new protocol is mail goes in one of three bins for two day quarantine. Wash hands after bringing it in. Deliveries (Amazon) come in the house and get left alone for 3 days. Wash hands after bringing them in. Perishable groceries get brought in and wiped. Everything else stays in the trunk for 3 days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/15/new-coronavirus-study-shows-how-long-hcov-19-can-live-on-different-surfaces/amp/

Rixon75
03-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Smart thinking. Still better than them going to a store.

It can last 2-3 days on plastic and a day on cardboard. At my house where there are two old people with comorbid issues, new protocol is mail goes in one of three bins for two day quarantine. Wash hands after bringing it in. Deliveries (Amazon) come in the house and get left alone for 3 days. Wash hands after bringing them in. Perishable groceries get brought in and wiped. Everything else stays in the trunk for 3 days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/15/new-coronavirus-study-shows-how-long-hcov-19-can-live-on-different-surfaces/amp/

Thank you for sharing. According to the article, it may be necessary for grocery stores to go with paper bags when possible.

OKC Guy
03-17-2020, 02:31 PM

Thats a great point. Although their risk would be much higher going to the store. Its the lesser of 2 problems. Great point though that some may not have thought of.

Also, if they set aside an hour or two at opening for senior citizens when most grocery stores are freshly scrubbed down is another idea.

Speaking of, with all the sit down food places closed or drive thru/take out only this is going to tax our grocery industry. So many more people grocery shopping than before.