View Full Version : What Does Hoarding Say About Us?

bucktalk
03-14-2020, 08:38 PM
This hoarding ordeal going on across the nation in relation to the Corvid-19 virus is causing me to want to unpack the real reason people are doing this? I'm guessing fear and selfishness are the two driving forces but is there a deeper issue? I've often heard even with all the grocery stores we have nationwide -they only carry a 3-4 day supplies of groceries. With the recent grocery hoarding going on I think the 3-4 supply limit grocery stores carry is accurate.

Hoarding? What does that say about us?

jompster
03-14-2020, 10:31 PM
It says that we spend too much time on social media where tons of information - some current, but some possibly outdated - is shared and prompts people to perhaps make uninformed and rash decisions.

Dob Hooligan
03-14-2020, 10:47 PM
I’m inept at trying to link a story, but, I read one from CNBC a couple days ago that mainly said people engage in hoarding and panic buying because it is a way for them to feel like they have some control in an out of control world occurance.

I’m sure hoarding has been going on forever. My sainted mother swore that my grandfather was writing editorials during WW2 telling people not to hoard rubber and other essential materials for the war effort, while he had 2 full sets of brand new tires for his Buick in the basement.

Bunty
03-14-2020, 10:54 PM
It says that we spend too much time on social media where tons of information - some current, but some possibly outdated - is shared and prompts people to perhaps make uninformed and rash decisions.

Too much is based on rumor, if not blatant misinfo presented as fact.

Stew
03-15-2020, 12:47 AM
When folks feel powerless to fear buying a butt load of toilette paper gives one a bit of a feeling of control.

mike4ou
03-15-2020, 01:22 AM
Hoarding or just being prudent? Many people feel out of control because they are unpreppared. In a World where JIT (just In Time) inventory is the model, supply disruptions from black swan events are guaranteed. People make fun of preppers but they don't contribute to these panics, it's the unprepared masses. The real problem will be when the pharmacies run out of the psychotropic drugs in the next 4 weeks. I hope this doesn't happen but 90+ % of pharmaceuticals are made in China. The TP is made in USA and will be ramped up quickly to meet demand. Thankfully food is produced here and shouldn't be a problem near term. Interesting times we live in and they will become more so unfortunately.

rte66man
03-15-2020, 06:35 AM
I'm missing the rationale for mass purchases of TOILET PAPER. How much do you use in one day? I've seen pictures of people hauling entire cases of the stuff to their cars. Why? Are you going to be quarantined for 6 months? Same goes for hand sanitizer. The experts are saying soap and water are adequate if you follow proper hand washing procedures.

Pete
03-15-2020, 06:39 AM
It is very bizarre.

I think what happens is that people start buying TP and then others see it running low, and the whole dynamic just feeds upon itself.

I have plenty of TP at home but have to admit that when I was in Sam's yesterday and saw they had plenty but then saw most people there were loading up, I had this instinctive reaction to grab some too. I didn't buy any, but it was weird how my emotions were briefly triggered.

rte66man
03-15-2020, 06:48 AM
That's true. I think maybe there's a sense that "hey, these people know something I don't about what's happening. Maybe I should buy in case they are right".

hoya
03-15-2020, 07:20 AM
Are people hoarding? Or do stores only carry enough toilet paper that they can sell in a few days?

Suppose a normal family buys enough toilet paper to last them one month. And every month they buy a big package of toilet paper and it’s no big deal. Let’s say every family operates that way. But in any given neighborhood, only 1/30th of the families that live there will buy it on any given day. If the store gets in shipments of toilet paper every three days, then it really only needs to stock it for 1/10th the population.

Now you’ve got the possibility of two weeks or more of quarantine, and so if your family is going to run out in the next two weeks, you rush to the store to buy some. You get your normal monthly supply. But the store is now overwhelmed by demand — they had enough on hand for 1/10th the neighborhood, not half.

I think that is what is happening.

chuck5815
03-15-2020, 07:31 AM
I don’t really need toilet paper per se, but I’d like to buy at least one package of it during this outbreak, just so I can feel like I successfully competed for a scarce resource.

BBatesokc
03-15-2020, 07:39 AM
This is when we show our true colors and often they ain't pretty.

I'm completely miffed by this entire thing.

We haven't stocked up on a single thing. We had hand sanitizer already (we've got chickens, rabbits and turtles we handle, so sanitizer is a must). I bought some travel size bottles of sanitizer a few days ago because we were set to fly to St. Martins (since force cancelled).

I picked up an 18 count of eggs this morning from Walmart (1 of only 5 on the shelf). I didn't go "Oh my God I better buy all of them!" Same goes for TP, Kleenex, etc. I bought what I need at that moment. We go out to eat and shop and just take a few extra seconds to wipe down the cart and sanitize our hands. Nothing exceptional.

It's' hard to judge though when I see others with carts full of TP, bottled water and such. They may be hoarding, or they may be buying for the elderly in their lives, neighbors, their office or donating to a local nursing home.

hoya
03-15-2020, 07:49 AM
I don't think most people buy hand sanitizer at all. Not with any regularity anyway. You might have a half-empty bottle sitting around from 2012 or whenever, but most people don't buy it frequently. Now you tell everybody they need to get some, and for 80% of the population that means they have to go out and buy it right now. That's a big enough surge to overwhelm the normal supply chain and create the shortages we are seeing.

None of the empty shelves we are seeing require people to be jerks and hoard stuff.

Pete
03-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Hoarding is nothing less than blatant selfishness.

It really is an ugly side of our society at a time we all should be looking out for each other: 'Screw everyone else; I'm just going to take more than I could ever need.'

Plutonic Panda
03-15-2020, 09:22 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html#click=https://t.co/YPeXEot79a

emtefury
03-15-2020, 10:21 AM
I agree hoarding is a problem. This hoarding incident hopefully shows people they need to be prepared. I maintain food storage that I built up over a few years. I didn’t buy it all at once. If something happens and the stores are cleared out, I am good to go for awhile

I recommend people consider building up a few months of supplies over time to be prepared. As noted in the earlier posts, the JIT supply chain does not allow for everyone trying to stock up at once when an event happens.

BBatesokc
03-15-2020, 11:27 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html#click=https://t.co/YPeXEot79a

CORRECTION: He HAD 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer. The government seized them all! LOL

Pete
03-15-2020, 11:33 AM
CORRECTION: He HAD 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer. The government seized them all! LOL

^

But we can't gloss over the fact that plenty of people have been richly rewarded for similar behavior.

I hope this latest scare quickly passes and we can learn from it, because we already know we are pretty poorly prepared for a real crisis (if this doesn't turn out to be too horrible).

BBatesokc
03-15-2020, 11:50 AM
^

But we can't gloss over the fact that plenty of people have been richly rewarded for similar behavior.

I hope this latest scare quickly passes and we can learn from it, because we already know we are pretty poorly prepared for a real crisis (if this doesn't turn out to be too horrible).

I guess it depends what, we as a society going forward, define "too horrible." I mean, if 80,000 Americans dying from a contagion in a single season doesn't cause us to bat an eye, it would take CV-19 killing hundreds of thousands to get our attention beyond hoarding toilet paper.

Pete
03-15-2020, 11:53 AM
I guess it depends what, we as a society going forward, define "too horrible." I mean, if 80,000 Americans dying from a contagion in a single season doesn't cause us to bat an eye, it would take CV-19 killing hundreds of thousands to get our attention beyond hoarding toilet paper.

Yeah, I'm not sure we are going to learn anything or make any meaningful change and that's terrifying because we have seen to this point how badly things can start to go.

NavySeabee
03-15-2020, 08:21 PM
We should all work to be well stocked at home and be willing to share when things hit crisis level. I think I'm going to start living like grandma and grandpa did when they were alive. No they weren't rich they were just well seasoned after living through the depression and WWII. They lived in a modest house on about 2 acres off of SE Grand and High. They always had plenty and were never shy to share with friends and family. They were green before it was cool to be green.

dankrutka
03-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Hoarding (and prepper cultures) are grounded in selfish individualism.

I'll add that the ethos of rugged individualism has long been a mythical story in American history that is really harmful. No one gets anywhere without community. We all stand on shoulders of giants and lean on each other. Individualism in balance with collectivism is healthy, but we so often have an individualism run amuck that disdains the idea that we should care for each other. Asian countries have very collectivist cultures and it's not surprising to see them respond to these crises in ways that are more in the interest of the community. I'm not saying all Americans (and of course "Americans" includes so many collectivist cultures) need to be the same, but we certainly could learn some things.

CloudDeckMedia
03-16-2020, 08:30 AM
THe 1970s brought us gas rationing. People would wait in line for hours to simply top off their tanks. I was a student in California when odd-even rationing was instituted, but those with out-of-state plates were exempted. I ordered an Oklahoma vanity plate that read “ODD-EVEN” which was good for a laugh. It was stolen from my car twice. Unbelievable what some people will do.

mugofbeer
03-16-2020, 07:45 PM
My local grocery was sold out of sugar and flour today. The contagion IS spreading. ��

Roger S
03-17-2020, 07:19 AM
My local grocery was sold out of sugar and flour today. The contagion IS spreading.

This could force a lot of people to go keto.

Jeepnokc
03-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Guy ends up donating stockpile

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/16/new-york-times-article-two-chattanooga-men-stockpile-hand-sanitizer/5057225002/

Pete
03-18-2020, 09:19 AM
So much of this hoarding is that everyone wants anything they could possibly want, and they want a big stockpile of it.

I just took inventory of what I have at home and I easily have 2 months of food.

Now, I won't be able to make a gourmet omelet and it may not be exactly what I want for every meal, but people need to stop panicking and wait for stores to catch up a bit, then be reasonable in what they buy.

catch22
03-18-2020, 09:29 AM
So much of this hoarding is that everyone wants anything they could possibly want, and they want a big stockpile of it.

I just took inventory of what I have at home and I easily have 2 months of food.

Now, I won't be able to make a gourmet omelet and it may not be exactly what I want for every meal, but people need to stop panicking and wait for stores to catch up a bit, then be reasonable in what they buy.

Agree. I dropped in to WalMart yesterday to round out a few things in my pantry. The canned goods aisle had about 20% left on the shelves, and I wasn't buying anything in that aisle but merely observing what was left. All of a sudden this lady came through with a shopping cart and cleaned the last 20% off of the shelves. I wanted to say something, but confronting a panicked person can lead to greater conflict so I left it alone and just shook my head. It didn't matter what item it was, it went into her cart. Her cart was empty when she got in the aisle but completely full when she left.

I bet most of that ends up in the trash in 5-6 years after it is rediscovered behind some old boxes of cheerios.

Pete
03-18-2020, 09:32 AM
And you see people trucking out pallets of bottled water.

There hasn't been any issue with water supply anywhere. Bottled water is such an American thing and it's so incredibly silly to start with.

Thomas Vu
03-18-2020, 12:51 PM
I stopped by Crest yesterday. I did see empty shelves, but with the exception of milk I didn't have trouble getting anything I really wanted.

MadMonk
03-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Screw hording toilet paper, I'm hording ammo.

...because I'm coming after YOUR toilet paper.

- A meme I saw recently that made me chuckle

mugofbeer
03-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Agree. I dropped in to WalMart yesterday to round out a few things in my pantry. The canned goods aisle had about 20% left on the shelves, and I wasn't buying anything in that aisle but merely observing what was left. All of a sudden this lady came through with a shopping cart and cleaned the last 20% off of the shelves. I wanted to say something, but confronting a panicked person can lead to greater conflict so I left it alone and just shook my head. It didn't matter what item it was, it went into her cart. Her cart was empty when she got in the aisle but completely full when she left.

I bet most of that ends up in the trash in 5-6 years after it is rediscovered behind some old boxes of cheerios.

Now I know why my mom (of depression age), had cans of salmon, spam and soup in boxes in the basement when we were cleaning out their house several years ago. She also had hidden roles of TP>>

Pete
03-18-2020, 07:01 PM
Just back from Sam's at 39th & May and they weren't very busy and they had plenty of TP and most other things.

A lot (but not all) of the bread and meat were sold out, and all eggs and some canned goods. But I still was able to get exactly what I needed.

I also used the Braum's drive-thru and 39th & Penn and there was only one other car.

bucktalk
03-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Isn't it amazing what humans can/will do when they refuse to use logic or reason?
And you see people trucking out pallets of bottled water.

There hasn't been any issue with water supply anywhere. Bottled water is such an American thing and it's so incredibly silly to start with.

BBatesokc
03-19-2020, 04:23 AM
Just back from Sam's at 39th & May and they weren't very busy and they had plenty of TP and most other things.

A lot (but not all) of the bread and meat were sold out, and all eggs and some canned goods. But I still was able to get exactly what I needed.

I also used the Braum's drive-thru and 39th & Penn and there was only one other car.

Wife and I had sort of a surreal moment at WalMart last night. She said "want me to make some tortilla soup in the instapot?" So, we headed to the store. She had her little list of ingredients she needed.... in the midst of it all, carts zoomed past us full of a wide variety of canned, dry goods, lots of processed crap and a mix of blank stares and total panic on faces. She went about getting each and every ingredient and we left. We both commented how it felt like we had just walked into a movie set and we were the only one's not given a script. Such a wild time to be alive.

Roger S
03-19-2020, 06:37 AM
I ran to Crest last night to grab some fresh vegetables, which there were plenty of, and what's missing from the shelves concerns me more than the virus.

Bread, chips, potatoes, mac & cheese, sugar loaded cereal, canned biscuits, sugar, flour, all sold out.... People sitting in their homes for the next month(s) consuming this are going to risk coming out of this with longer lasting health issues than most will experience if they get the virus.

Edmond Hausfrau
03-19-2020, 08:25 AM
I ran to Crest last night to grab some fresh vegetables, which there were plenty of, and what's missing from the shelves concerns me more than the virus.

Bread, chips, potatoes, mac & cheese, sugar loaded cereal, canned biscuits, sugar, flour, all sold out.... People sitting in their homes for the next month(s) consuming this are going to risk coming out of this with longer lasting health issues than most will experience if they get the virus.

Fresh vegetables are safe to eat. Wash them well, as you always do. They don't have a long shelf life but most can be blanched for 1-2 minutes and then frozen for later use.

The Shadow
03-19-2020, 09:09 AM
According to the Oklahoman, gun sales are up around the metro in recent days.

Interesting.

Plutonic Panda
03-19-2020, 10:02 AM
According to the Oklahoman, gun sales are up around the metro in recent days.

Interesting.Here in SoCal too. There is a gun store in Culver City with lines around the block. It’s insane. I am thinking of buying some guns myself.

Bunty
03-26-2020, 10:33 AM

Good for you. Maybe some people think they gotta hoard so they can eventually build up a big supply and no longer need to go to the stores and risk exposing themselves to the virus. Otherwise, for the people who aren't that paranoid over the virus crisis, there is no need to hoard, psychologically speaking. I'm not hoarding.

Bill Robertson
03-26-2020, 05:13 PM
Here in SoCal too. There is a gun store in Culver City with lines around the block. It’s insane. I am thinking of buying some guns myself.
And ammo shelves are empty at the couple places I go to. Even with them limiting quantities starting a couple of weeks ago. Almost makes me wonder if some whackos out there ate thinking “I don’t need to buy TP. You did and I have a gun”.

Bill Robertson
03-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Now, I won't be able to make a gourmet omelet and it may not be exactly what I want for every meal, but people need to stop panicking and wait for stores to catch up a bit, then be reasonable in what they buy.We went to the grocery store Saturday afternoon. We got plenty of food to keep us for a couple weeks. Most of the things we usually get were there. But what we eat is far from gourmet. Let’s call it fast and easy. Mostly frozen or packaged, probably highly processed products. I stopped on the way home today and could have stocked up more but since the things we get were still plentiful I figure they will stay that way. Also, since my wife is the office manager for a local chain grocer I know the overtime that’s being put in and the number of semis of product being delivered to the warehouse by suppliers and distributed to the stores. So at this point I’m not worried about eating.

Bill Robertson
03-26-2020, 05:31 PM

Bread, chips, potatoes, mac & cheese, sugar loaded cereal, canned biscuits, sugar, flour, all sold out.... People sitting in their homes for the next month(s) consuming this are going to risk coming out of this with longer lasting health issues than most will experience if they get the virus.It could be said that I eat nothing but unhealthy garbage and drink too much. After having both hips replaced a couple of years ago my Dr. has me on a regular schedule of tests, scans, etc. The verdict: I’m as healthy as a thoroughbred race horse.

TheTravellers
03-26-2020, 05:37 PM
Weird trip to Homeland on 18th/Classen today - they were out of *tons* of stuff, even after placing limits of 1 per item on eggs, TP, paper towels, sanitizer, wipes, etc. Only maybe 20-25 people in the store, so they didn't seem swamped (and weren't the last time we were in there) so the supply chain is still suffering pretty badly, I'm guessing. Thought things would've been able to stay restocked by now.

Canoe
03-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Here in SoCal too. There is a gun store in Culver City with lines around the block. It’s insane. I am thinking of buying some guns myself.

Did you get what you wanted?

oklip955
03-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Ok, we are not to be hoarding but, if you are older, higher risk due to respiratory issues and live out a ways, what do you do? If you don't have family and friends are way busy right now and usually very busy, delivery food companies don't deliver, no neighbors to help (deer dont go grocery shopping except in your garden) and the governor says to say home until the end of April, you do have to stock up if you haven't already. That is 5 weeks worth of food.

BBatesokc
03-27-2020, 10:19 AM
Ok, we are not to be hoarding but, if you are older, higher risk due to respiratory issues and live out a ways, what do you do? If you don't have family and friends are way busy right now and usually very busy, delivery food companies don't deliver, no neighbors to help (deer dont go grocery shopping except in your garden) and the governor says to say home until the end of April, you do have to stock up if you haven't already. That is 5 weeks worth of food.

I don't consider that 'hoarding.' To me hoarding is unnecessarily stockpiling items you don't need. If you are simply filing your shelves to avoid trips to the store, then that's not hoarding IMO. It's people who are not staying indoors and buy a pallet of toilet paper that I would define as hoarding.

TheTravellers
03-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Not sure if this fits in the hoarding thread, but I have to believe that if limits were put on items a while ago, we wouldn't be in this situation. Wife went to Walgreen's on 23rd/May on her way home from work today (she's off with administrative leave unless the House calls her, and they called her last night to come in today, the lawsausage-making must go on), and the cashier said it would be at least a month before they had any hand sanitizer. :eek:

BBatesokc
03-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Not sure if this fits in the hoarding thread, but I have to believe that if limits were put on items a while ago, we wouldn't be in this situation. Wife went to Walgreen's on 23rd/May on her way home from work today (she's off with administrative leave unless the House calls her, and they called her last night to come in today, the lawsausage-making must go on), and the cashier said it would be at least a month before they had any hand sanitizer. :eek:

I'd tend to believe that traditional supply chains of items, like sanitizer and masks, have by this point been diverted to medical facilities, LE, and areas with the most need.

mugofbeer
03-27-2020, 01:17 PM
A few beer breweries here in the Denver area have switched to making hand sanitizer since they can't operate as breweries right now. Their biggest problem is not being able to secure containers for the sanitizer product they make.

TheTravellers
03-27-2020, 01:26 PM
I'd tend to believe that traditional supply chains of items, like sanitizer and masks, have by this point been diverted to medical facilities, LE, and areas with the most need.

Yeah, some things are just going to be "out" for a while, didn't really think about stuff being diverted before it even got to the stores, but the supply chain for other stuff should be picking back up soon, I hope. At Homeland yesterday, they were out of almost all ice cream (except Blue Bell and dairy-free), meat counter was completely empty, just odd things that you wouldn't normally think of as having "runs" on (along with the usual suspects - paper goods, cleaning items, canned soup, etc.)

Plutonic Panda
03-30-2020, 10:16 PM
Did you get what you wanted?
Not yet. I’m back in OKC for a month or so. I have been told by academy since I have a California license they can’t sell to me which was strange. I wonder if I’ll get the same response from other stores. I am thinking of buying a Sig or Glock. Not sure yet.

BoulderSooner
04-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Not yet. I’m back in OKC for a month or so. I have been told by academy since I have a California license they can’t sell to me which was strange. I wonder if I’ll get the same response from other stores. I am thinking of buying a Sig or Glock. Not sure yet.

illegal to sell you a side arm unless you have a proveable oklahoma address .. Ie drivers licence or city utility bill (ie not og&e or ONG)