View Full Version : Ncaa tourney

Jersey Boss
03-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Just announced that the games will be crowdless.

Laramie
03-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Unfortunate: "Only staff, limited family at NCAA Tourney games."

Pete
03-11-2020, 04:22 PM
Besides the terrible human toll, the economic consequences are going to be astronomical.

Sports, concerts, events, travel, conventions... This will be way worse than 9/11 unless something happens to quickly reverse this situation.

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2020, 04:28 PM
They had no choice. March Madness brings people from all over the country to the other side of the country, to all corners of the country, it’s highly unique in that respect. All indoors, on and on. They had no choice. It’s unfortunate and Pete’s point on the economic impact - so true. Unbelievable, really.

Pete
03-11-2020, 04:50 PM
You wonder if the NBA may have to go this route.

Then you have the summer olympics... It goes on and on.

Bill Robertson
03-11-2020, 05:40 PM
I know this won’t happen in most countries but China has pretty much put the brakes on COVID by shutting down all public interaction. Which is really more important, NBA, NCAA, XFL, NHL, music concerts, etc. or containing COVID. And I’m saying this as a skeptic as to the severity of the problem. If shutting down a bunch of sports and entertainment events will slow the spread then so be it. Welcome to 2020 earth.

Rover
03-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Mexico probably wants to build a wall now to keep infected Americans out.

chuck5815
03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Very unlikely that the NCAA even allows the games to be played at this point.

SEMIweather
03-11-2020, 11:54 PM
There is absolutely no way this tournament gets played after what happened in the NBA tonight.

dankrutka
03-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Yep, almost no NCAA players have been tested and are in such close physical contact. I can't imagine how they could play the tourney. Can you imagine if they let a player with COVID-19 play and he spreads it to another team?

Pete
03-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Yep, almost no NCAA players have been tested and are in such close physical contact. I can't imagine how they could play the tourney. Can you imagine if they let a player with COVID-19 play and he spreads it to another team?

Not to mention they are all students as well and run the risk of infecting an entire campus.

dankrutka
03-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Not to mention they are all students as well and run the risk of infecting an entire campus.

Hey, my university won't cancel a graduate fair this Saturday where people walk booth to booth meeting with people from different programs. They expect near a thousand people. I do not understand why people think this risk is okay.

Pete
03-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Things are ramping up very quickly now.

There are cancellations coming by the minute.

I bet by the weekend most public gatherings will be suspended.

Colbafone
03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
University of Kansas and Duke just suspended ALL athletic participation. So two banner schools will be skipping March Madness. It's done. The NCAA Tourny won't be happening right now, and likely this year.

jedicurt
03-12-2020, 12:23 PM
and the Duke AD is on the selection committee... so he probably already knows the NCAA decision.

PhiAlpha
03-12-2020, 12:24 PM
OU might have just been gifted it’s best opportunity to win the tournament in years. Stay in and win!

kidding of course...kind of.

chuck5815
03-12-2020, 12:35 PM
OU might have just been gifted it’s best opportunity to win the tournament in years. Stay in and win!

kidding of course...kind of.

This whole thing is just a good life lesson for everyone.

You can't have sex with a bat and expect there to be zero consequences.

PhiAlpha
03-12-2020, 12:47 PM
This whole thing is just a good life lesson for everyone.

You can't have sex with a bat and expect there to be zero consequences.

So that's why Batman's always in such a foul mood.

Mr. Blue Sky
03-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Just announced: “March Madness” is canceled.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/03/12/ncaa-tournament-canceled-amid-coronavirus-concerns-march-madness/5030185002/

Edit - Well, at least basketball’s version of March Madness is canceled. For the rest of the country, March Madness is only beginning.

Pete
03-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Note this is a complete cancellation, not a postponement.

The Associated Press
@AP
·
2m
BREAKING: NCAA cancels men's and women's Division I basketball tournaments amid coronavirus fears.

jedicurt
03-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Note this is a complete cancellation, not a postponement.

The Associated Press
@AP
·
2m
BREAKING: NCAA cancels men's and women's Division I basketball tournaments amid coronavirus fears.

i'm curious if this means they will give Kansas the right to declare themselves champions since they finished number 1 in polls

Jersey Boss
03-12-2020, 02:45 PM
i'm curious if this means they will give Kansas the right to declare themselves champions since they finished number 1 in polls

I would be surprised. Polls never mattered in bb the way they did and do in D1 fb

Pete
03-12-2020, 02:45 PM

OSU will claim it. (sorry, couldn't resist)

chuck5815
03-12-2020, 03:07 PM

I can see Kansas claiming it, but, of course, no one outside of Kansas will recognize it.

jdizzle
03-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Women's College World Series has been cancelled, as well.

Colbafone
03-12-2020, 03:26 PM
I can see Kansas claiming it, but, of course, no one outside of Kansas will recognize it.

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't/shouldn't. Given the circumstances, they have the best outright claim to it. I can't be angry about that.

Swake
03-12-2020, 04:57 PM

So what you are saying is that OU has just one national championship in football. Sad.

dankrutka
03-12-2020, 05:02 PM
So that's why Batman's always in such a foul mood.

Batman has always just been COVID-19 propaganda. /s

dankrutka
03-12-2020, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't/shouldn't. Given the circumstances, they have the best outright claim to it. I can't be angry about that.

Nah, the number 1 seed does not win most years. There's just no champ this season.

Dob Hooligan
03-12-2020, 05:38 PM
This could be an existential threat to the NCAA. March Madness is the majority of their income, IIRC.

The NCAA gets no (or next to no) revenue from the College Football Playoff and the bowl system overall. And I'm not sure what other sport is revenue positive overall.

Roger S
03-12-2020, 06:48 PM

I’m outside of Kansas and I would.... Rock Chalk!

SoonersFan12
03-13-2020, 06:31 AM
I am surprised the NBA did not cancelled their season

Colbafone
03-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Nah, the number 1 seed does not win most years. There's just no champ this season.

I understand that. I'm just saying, if ANYONE has an real right to claim the championship, it's them. So I really wouldn't blame them for doing so, and outside of the argument that there was no tournament, I don't really see how you can refute them.

With that said, I don't imagine they will claim it. Unless the NCAA offers it to them. Same thing can be said about OU Women's Gymnastics.

SEMIweather
03-13-2020, 06:28 PM
I am surprised the NBA did not cancelled their season

IMO, they will probably end up cancelling, but they have more flexibility with their schedule than the NCAA given that it's a professional league. I am not optimistic, but if we do manage to get things under control in the next month or two, they would have enough time to finish up the season on a delay or on an abbreviated schedule.