View Full Version : OKC Trails Network

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2020, 10:22 PM
I couldn’t find a general catch all thread for the trail system in OKC.

This article says the trail loop will be completed in 2021. The most complex part which will pass under the new I-44/235 interchange and connect Nichols hills grand trail the one by the zoo should start in a year or so:

Halff Planning & Landscape Architecture Director Nate Clair said the company has been working on the Deep Fork Greenway connection for almost two years as the scope of the project grew from a ¾-mile trail segment to 4.5 miles. The project is being funded through a federally-backed grant program overseen by ODOT as well as the city’s Better Streets/Safer Cities temporary sales-tax initiative.

Clair said the Halff team is working to make sure the trail has amenities that make it family friendly, rather than just a way to get from one place to another. The existing Zach D. Taylor Park is along the new route and provides one of many access points for nearby neighborhoods.

With its proximity to Bishop McGuinness High School, Clair said Halff expects the trail to be used by the school’s cross country team.

The 12-foot-wide trail will follow the Deep Fork Creek & Interstate 44, taking users through tree-covered areas. The trail will take families, riders and other users through the Adventure District, so it will be an economically-friendly connection to many tourism destinations, he said.

The 4.5-mile connection will wind under the new Interstate 235-44 intersection, by the Lincoln Square apartments, under Lincoln Avenue then continue east to connect to the Katy Trail near the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

There are eight bridges along the route, being engineered and designed by the Halff team.

Clair said the project has allowed the team to be creative, especially as they’ve faced the many challenges that come with the terrain.

https://www.velocityokc.com/clientuploads/directory/super_blog/Overall_Map_trail_system.jpg

- https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/development/okc-trail-loop-to-be-completed-in-2021/

3nglnd
05-29-2020, 03:13 PM
As a relatively new user of the trail system, these connections would be great. The last time I was on the South River Trail, it looks like they were getting the paths ready to go under I-35, which I assume based on this information is where the connection to the Katy Trail will be happening

shawnw
05-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Unless some priority shifts happened, which is possible, the River trail/Katy connection wasn't supposed to happen until June next year. This year the greenway trail (connection between lake hefner and Katy trails) was supposed to start construction in June. This was as of the MAPS 4 meetings. Even though these weren't funded by MAPS 4 I asked a lot of questions at the time and got those answers, but again something may have changed.

Mott
05-29-2020, 05:07 PM
It what about fixing the bridge on north trail with half a collapsed landing, and the washout at Reno?

emtefury
05-29-2020, 08:53 PM
It what about fixing the bridge on north trail with half a collapsed landing, and the washout at Reno?

The city is working on an engineering solution.

shawnw
06-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Here is the city's response to me on Twitter back in March regarding the West Trail damage repairs (I asked why it's taking as long to fix it as it took to build it):

https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status/1244977845350383617

Short story, initial damage survey came back, and there wasn’t a big enough funding source from @okcparks to fix. So it was referred to @Maps3, which can use excess funds. MAPS office is now designing repairs via a contractor, but now that may be delayed bc of the pandemic.

Roger S
06-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Here is the city's response to me on Twitter back in March regarding the West Trail damage repairs (I asked why it's taking as long to fix it as it took to build it):

Is this the trail they have closed between Crystal Lake and Overholser?

The one that everyone just goes around the fence where the gates are closed?

shawnw
06-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Yes

Roger S
06-01-2020, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised they haven't used the "allocated" funds to put up a barrier at the end of that fence instead of using it to fix the trail.

I kind of like the little detour since I'm on a mountain bike... Gives me a few second of dirt to ride on... ;)

oklip955
06-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Can people ride their horses on the trail? the equestion trail is real short and on the back side of the lake? Currently don't have horses but just wondering?

emtefury
07-17-2020, 08:34 AM
Pro bike provided an update on the trails fix for the washed out section on the west side.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3603612556333922&id=625534700808404

shawnw
07-17-2020, 11:53 AM
thanks for the news

SouthSide
07-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Any idea when they start connecting the trails system in south okc? I couldn't find anything at okc.gov.

riflesforwatie
07-17-2020, 12:46 PM
While I'm glad they've made a decision and will get this segment of trail reopened, the new route will be less pleasant than the old route.

Some of this depends on if the segment of new trail along Melvin Youngs Blvd. will be dedicated right-of-way like the rest of the trail or if they'll just go with sharrows. On the one hand, as a MAPS 3 trail, dedicated right-of-way would be indicated, but the idea that it will be finished at the end of summer, given how slow the rest of the City's trail projects have been, fills me with a deep fear that they'll go with sharrows and say "good enough". Melvin Youngs Blvd. doesn't have extremely heavy traffic, but the traffic it does have is a lot of tractor-trailers.

Even going with dedicated right-of-way down Melvin Youngs Blvd. introduces challenges. If you go down the west side of the road, you have to traverse 4 curb cuts (including one about 250 ft long). If you go down the east side of the road, you're asking cyclists and pedestrians to cross Melvin Youngs two different times.

There's no great solution to the Oklahoma River eroding its banks in this area, because there's nowhere else to route the trail. This whole situation is a great example of the poor approach to zoning, planning, and development in our area. In another thread, someone asked about increasing the recreational uses of the North Canadian/Oklahoma River. Dealing with pollution in any major metropolitan area is a challenge, but ours is particularly acute. The river is lined with trucking firms, a landfill, construction yards, trailer parks, industrial storage, and at least one salvage yard, plus Interstate 40 within earshot. Even if you could clean up the river somehow, it's hard to imagine it being very pleasant to use.

emtefury
07-17-2020, 02:06 PM
Can people ride their horses on the trail? the equestion trail is real short and on the back side of the lake? Currently don't have horses but just wondering?

According to this OKC website horse riding along paved trails is prohibited.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/parks-recreation/equestrian-park

TheTravellers
07-17-2020, 02:20 PM
...The river is lined with trucking firms, a landfill, construction yards, trailer parks, industrial storage, and at least one salvage yard, plus Interstate 40 within earshot. ...

Don't the stockyards also drain into it (or they used to)?

riflesforwatie
07-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Don't the stockyards also drain into it (or they used to)?

You're right. There is a berm between the Stockyards and the East River Trail (south bank) between May and Agnew, which protects the Oklahoma River from immediate Stockyards runoff, but the Stockyards, like all of central Oklahoma City, is in the Oklahoma River watershed. There's a small inlet off the river's south bank just east of Agnew, which collects runoff from the eastern portion of the broader Stockyards area. Much of that region also drains into Twin Creek, which is channelized along the railroad just south of the Stockyards and then eventually meets up with Brock Creek and drains into the Oklahoma River. Of course, even beyond the drainage, any southerly wind or atmospheric inversion creates some "interesting" smells along that section of the river.

SouthSide
09-05-2020, 07:04 PM
I feel a bit silly asking this but is the trail system just the standard city concrete sidewalks and on-street bike lanes? I was considering seeking out the trail system since my neighborhood is mostly one block cul-de-sacs. I guess i pictured something more scenic.

Bill Robertson
09-05-2020, 07:30 PM
I feel a bit silly asking this but is the trail system just the standard city concrete sidewalks and on-street bike lanes? I was considering seeking out the trail system since my neighborhood is mostly one block cul-de-sacs. I guess i pictured something more scenic.
Oh no! Get on the OKC govt web site and go to the page with the trails map. There’s miles and miles of trails that are specific for bikes\runners\walkers that almost never are part of a sidewalk or street. There are a few spots that it wasn’t feasible to completely separate the trails from streets but very few. The trails were\are a great effort between the city and user groups like the Oklahoma Bicycle Society. I put in many hours myself as a representative of the OBS in planning and design meetings so I’m very proud of the trail system. Hal McKnight, the owner or now maybe former owner of Wheeler Dealer Bicycles was also a driving force behind the trail system development.

SouthSide
09-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Oh no! Get on the OKC govt web site and go to the page with the trails map. There’s miles and miles of trails that are specific for bikes\runners\walkers that almost never are part of a sidewalk or street. There are a few spots that it wasn’t feasible to completely separate the trails from streets but very few. The trails were\are a great effort between the city and user groups like the Oklahoma Bicycle Society. I put in many hours myself as a representative of the OBS in planning and design meetings so I’m very proud of the trail system. Hal McKnight, the owner or now maybe former owner of Wheeler Dealer Bicycles was also a driving force behind the trail system development.

I appreciate the reply! Unfortunately, it appears the closest trails to me (104 and May) are indeed city sidewalks and streets.

HOT ROD
09-07-2020, 09:18 PM
like bicycle freeways?

I liked how Denver has that along Cherry Creek (including dedicated entrance/exits).

shawnw
09-08-2020, 08:56 AM
I appreciate the reply! Unfortunately, it appears the closest trails to me (104 and May) are indeed city sidewalks and streets.

If plans I've seen from the BSSC committee stick, there may be closer trails going in (down May to 104th [actual trails though], then across to Draper), which would connect you to the rest of the system. Might be a couple years out, but you will be enjoying the trails soon!

Mott
09-08-2020, 10:10 AM
As a regular user of the trails, they are a great addition to the City! Been riding since I bought my first bike from Hal McKnight in 1972. But the maintenance of the trails is mediocre. Obviously, the wash out at Reno was unplanned for. But you have a bridge on the north trail between Penn and May with one concrete landing collapsed for over a year and a half. The south side has unfinished paving, even though old surfaces were gouged for the new pavement. And this fall there has been no herbicide for stickers along the river trails, even though the trees and rock embankments did get herbicide, and now have dead vegetation, but the sticker plants are growing like crazy. Wish things were better, as it’s great to have the trails.

shawnw
09-08-2020, 10:58 AM
So... the parks department maintains the trails. But their budget is facing challenges (as most departments are) and the recent attempt to bolster it failed. I'm under the impression that there's an effort, via the community foundation, to start a maintenance foundation that can raise money and also not be hampered by some of the bidding restrictions city contractors are faced with. This is like third hand information, but I trust the source.

SouthSide
09-08-2020, 04:40 PM
If plans I've seen from the BSSC committee stick, there may be closer trails going in (down May to 104th [actual trails though], then across to Draper), which would connect you to the rest of the system. Might be a couple years out, but you will be enjoying the trails soon!

Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see what they do along May as it is developed with one housing addition after another. Is there someway to see the proposed plan?

shawnw
09-08-2020, 06:57 PM
In theory they could/should be part of BSSC documents, but I haven't checked that. Keep in mind that the budget just got approved and so things will only be getting fleshed out going forward.

Bill Robertson
09-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Here’s a link to the OKC trails map.
https://www.okc.gov/departments/parks-recreation/trails
Click the “map” text in the second paragraph and it opens an interactive map of the trail system both complete and planned.

Mott
09-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Went for a ride from Robinson to trail closure at Council, and on the north side herbicide had been sprayed from Agnew to Pennsylvania, yea, hope it solves the stickers. Now the park maintenance needs to do both sides from Meridian to Council. Bravo.

oklip955
09-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Its too late in the season to spray for sand bur. It needs to be sprayed around june/july when its just coming out of the ground. I'm thinking its for winter weeds.

Plutonic Panda
09-12-2020, 08:12 AM
A decision to allow class 3 e bikes to use city trails is being considered.

https://freepressokc.com/okc-trails-committee-considers-e-bikes/?fbclid=IwAR1us75PFin0r9V5K7JlxpSiS_-axc8DBKf2_vFqaYYpA2ftVTBOuVB6vGk

RustytheBailiff
09-12-2020, 08:16 AM

https://freepressokc.com/okc-trails-committee-considers-e-bikes/?fbclid=IwAR1us75PFin0r9V5K7JlxpSiS_-axc8DBKf2_vFqaYYpA2ftVTBOuVB6vGk

They should not allow motorized bikes on the trail.

Bill Robertson
09-12-2020, 09:36 AM

https://freepressokc.com/okc-trails-committee-considers-e-bikes/?fbclid=IwAR1us75PFin0r9V5K7JlxpSiS_-axc8DBKf2_vFqaYYpA2ftVTBOuVB6vGkI don’t have a problem with Class 1 & 2 e-bikes on the trails. They cut off assistance at 20 mph and lots of cyclists go that fast. Class 3 should not be on trails. They’re fast enough to easily be on the street.

riflesforwatie
09-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Lol..... we should probably tackle the dirt bikes, ATVs, and straight-up full-sized cars and trucks that regularly drive on segments of the Oklahoma River Trail before we worry too much about e-bikes. I am on various parts of the trails just about every day and I either directly encounter or can see (for example, on the opposite river bank) illegal vehicles on the trails about a third of days.

riflesforwatie
09-12-2020, 09:42 AM
Also, a quick update on the discussion about the detour/closure on the West River Trail. A (so far) small sinkhole has opened up in the trail just south of the I-40 underpass and just north of the current trail closure. There's probably still enough clearance for them to execute their permanent realignment plan and avoid the sinkhole, but that's not promising for the long-term stability of that segment of the trail since it implies that the river bank is going to continue to erode, even outside the closure. Let's hope the damage doesn't get too much closer to the I-40 bridge.

PaddyShack
09-14-2020, 09:35 AM
I don’t have a problem with Class 1 & 2 e-bikes on the trails. They cut off assistance at 20 mph and lots of cyclists go that fast. Class 3 should not be on trails. They’re fast enough to easily be on the street.

But they only go up to 28 mph, Maybe they ban the class 3s in denser areas? I see allowing class 3s as expanding and making the trail system more open to commuters.

3nglnd
09-14-2020, 09:48 AM
But they only go up to 28 mph, Maybe they ban the class 3s in denser areas? I see allowing class 3s as expanding and making the trail system more open to commuters.

I own a pair of Class 2 bikes so I'm very much in favor of these rules being changed. Class 3 is a little fast, but I think joggers/cyclists are going to generally be safer around a bicycle going 28 mph than a Class 3 cyclist surrounded by cars going 45. If the trails are suddenly packed with electric bicycles, I'd say we have a good problem on our hands

amocore
01-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Hello,

Is there a project to connect the south part of the River trail, on the East side to the Eagle lake trail ? I think there is no trail between I 35 and Eastern so not even a mile.
It would a quick a nice add on and go by the new museum.

shawnw
01-12-2021, 12:53 AM
I've heard something like this has been proposed but don't know the veracity of that info

David
03-31-2021, 06:07 PM
There was a discussion on Twitter last night about bike access over the Western & I-44 bridge, in that discussion the OKC Twitter account talked about the Deep Fork Trail which will be in that area and I was able to get a copy of a presentation given last November with some details and costs.

https://i.imgur.com/zfHp0kO.png

https://i.imgur.com/C9ATxCj.png

https://i.imgur.com/JbaQ4Uh.png

https://i.imgur.com/HZiFrpk.png

https://i.imgur.com/0wH0jah.png

https://i.imgur.com/vRaPUzs.png

https://i.imgur.com/yiSsI0s.png

shawnw
03-31-2021, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that. Thought it was supposed to be done by the summer originally but I haven't seen indication of that.

emtefury
04-29-2021, 11:03 PM
The west river trail is officially open or reopened.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4529479037080598&id=625534700808404

shawnw
04-29-2021, 11:12 PM
The post says not officially open but they don't mind it being used....

(I've used it)

Roger S
04-30-2021, 09:44 AM
Awesome! Been following the progress of what I could see along I-40 in the mornings.... did notice quite a bit of sediment on the section along there after the rains the other night.

Roger S
05-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Went and rode Friday night and it's mostly open... Had to navigate around a few gates and fences in places.

Hit a big patch of mud under the bridge at Reno and almost went down.... Thanks goodness I was on my mountain bike and stayed up but you guys with skinny wheels better be vigilant through that area until the vegetation fills in and the erosion stabilizes.

Also look out for the pothole in the new asphalt just as you cross the service road on the new section..... Not a high speed area but it could still definitely bend a rim and throw a rider.

It was still a little damp from the rains but the strip where they removed the old trail will be rideable on a MTB.... Doubt we're supposed to ride it but as long as it's not overgrown.... I may get lost *WINK* and cut through there on the Trek.

Mott
05-03-2021, 09:26 PM
Rode today, the Council gate still closed. Yesterday, and a gate on the new pavement south side, easy to ride around, and work continues on finishing landscaping and curb repair.

shawnw
05-16-2021, 02:01 AM
Gates were all open on Saturday, no going around anything.

Video of how it's looking:
https://youtu.be/tObyn3wA25U

https://youtu.be/tObyn3wA25U

Rover
05-16-2021, 09:03 AM
Very unappealing route. Maybe we can find some junkyards and abandoned buildings to ride through.

Can’t we find routes that offer more than a flat surface? One of the reasons I like riding Hefner is that is a good ride in a pleasant environment. This just doesn’t look pleasant.

Bellaboo
05-16-2021, 09:07 AM
The route drops down closer to the river. Shawn was just showing where the route was rebuilt to get it away from an unstable bank on the river near the I-40 bridge.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-16-2021, 12:35 PM
The route drops down closer to the river. Shawn was just showing where the route was rebuilt to get it away from an unstable bank on the river near the I-40 bridge.
Yes, and that section looks much better now. Glad it's fixed. Have they said if still ok to use Class 3 ebike?

shawnw
05-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Yes, and that section looks much better now. Glad it's fixed. Have they said if still ok to use Class 3 ebike?

I may have this wrong, but with the state passing the ebikes allowed on trails law that takes effect Nov 1, the city would then have to pass code restricting them at that point, right?

Edmond Hausfrau
05-16-2021, 12:41 PM
I may have this wrong, but with the state passing the ebikes allowed on trails law that takes effect Nov 1, the city would then have to pass code restricting them at that point, right?

So does the state law allow Class 3? I just bought one, and want to be law abiding on the trails.

shawnw
05-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Very unappealing route. Maybe we can find some junkyards and abandoned buildings to ride through.

Can’t we find routes that offer more than a flat surface? One of the reasons I like riding Hefner is that is a good ride in a pleasant environment. This just doesn’t look pleasant.

I mean, technically there are a couple junk yards and a number of abandoned buildings the trails already go by, but the reality is, as a whole, we have great trails.

SEMIweather
05-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Also tough to do any elevation changes when the city as a whole is very, very flat. The trail around Draper does have some nice rolling hills as far as I can tell.

shawnw
05-16-2021, 09:02 PM
Yes, the Draper Trails are VERY hilly.

Here's a video snippet of a big hill:
https://youtu.be/nekmxeFcFPk

https://youtu.be/nekmxeFcFPk

Plutonic Panda
05-16-2021, 10:52 PM
I went and explored Draper a few weeks ago and WOW. What a hidden gem, this lake is. I will be spending a lot more time here when I’m in town. I just wished they’d keep up the campsites a bit more.

Rover
05-17-2021, 06:50 AM
I mean, technically there are a couple junk yards and a number of abandoned buildings the trails already go by, but the reality is, as a whole, we have great trails.

I agree that much of the trails is great. I was just responding to that video.

Roger S
05-17-2021, 07:34 AM
I went and explored Draper a few weeks ago and WOW. What a hidden gem, this lake is. I will be spending a lot more time here when I’m in town. I just wished they’d keep up the campsites a bit more.

They have done a tremendous job out there and made the lake busier than I've ever seen it. The trails see a lot of use from walkers that you never saw out there despite it being a popular route for cyclists even before the trail was built.

There never used to be more than a car or two parked at the marina and now there are always 15-20 parked there as well as people parking at the other trail parking lots.

Also tough to do any elevation changes when the city as a whole is very, very flat. The trail around Draper does have some nice rolling hills as far as I can tell.

Draper has a couple that really kick my ass.... Granted I'm riding my Trek MTB on the paved trails, when I can't get on the MTB trails due to weather, so I'm not really geared for them like the road riders are..... Checking my app on a couple of rides I've made out there. I show an elevation gain between 145-151 feet depending on where I was riding..... Riding the west trail I get about 79 feet of elevation gain and most of that probably come from the drop down from the Reno parking lot down to the trail.

Jersey Boss
05-17-2021, 08:31 AM
They have done a tremendous job out there and made the lake busier than I've ever seen it. The trails see a lot of use from walkers that you never saw out there despite it being a popular route for cyclists even before the trail was built.

There never used to be more than a car or two parked at the marina and now there are always 15-20 parked there as well as people parking at the other trail parking lots.

Draper has a couple that really kick my ass.... Granted I'm riding my Trek MTB on the paved trails, when I can't get on the MTB trails due to weather, so I'm not really geared for them like the road riders are..... Checking my app on a couple of rides I've made out there. I show an elevation gain between 145-151 feet depending on where I was riding..... Riding the west trail I get about 79 feet of elevation gain and most of that probably come from the drop down from the Reno parking lot down to the trail.

What chaps my ass about Draper is the imposition of a fee to ride the trails that the Water Board leased to OEF. The fee is mandated by the city at only this site and the city had done nothing in the construction of the mountain bike trails.

SouthSide
05-17-2021, 09:42 AM
What chaps my ass about Draper is the imposition of a fee to ride the trails that the Water Board leased to OEF. The fee is mandated by the city at only this site and the city had done nothing in the construction of the mountain bike trails.

I didn't see a fee listed on the city's website. How does the fee work? Is their a portion of the trail you can ride for free? Thanks!

I am terribly disappointed in the trails network south of the river. Outside of Draper, it seems to be comprised of only sidewalks and streets.

shawnw
05-17-2021, 09:49 AM
South side trails should dramatically improve with MAPS 4, and I'm looking forward to it.