View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

SSEiYah
03-06-2020, 11:30 PM
Please post the political discussion here: https://www.okctalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24
If you want to discuss political aspects, please use the appropriate forum linked above.

That being said, what plans do we have in OKC assuming we start seeing an outbreak?

brian72
03-07-2020, 05:20 AM
Self quarantine till May.

OKCRT
03-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Self quarantine till May.

Wonder if they will close schools early this year? I just read that the NBA could be playing games in empty arenas.

BBatesokc
03-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Went to Sam's this morning and when I tried to use Scan And Go, it wouldn't let me buy Lysol Spray. Said I had to purchase at the register. WTH?

Is this a Coronavirus thing (restrictive buying) or something else?

FYI - I was able to self checkout at register. So, I don't know what the point was.

Mel
03-07-2020, 12:11 PM
It might be the beginning of anti hoarding measures. Every store I have been in lately is wiped out in the various forms of sanitation products.

SoonerDave
03-07-2020, 01:59 PM
We just picked up a tub of wipes at Walgreens, no panic buying. Haven't been to WM, so can't say about that.

ctchandler
03-07-2020, 08:25 PM
My son picked up the last pack of tissue (Puffs, there wasn't any Kleenex) for me. That's has to be hoarding.
C T.

BBatesokc
03-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Yeah, WalMart, Sam's Costco... even the dollar store is wiped out of any hand sanitizers. Some don't even have Lysol spray/wipes any longer. The Sam's by me is even really low on toilet paper. I guess those are this 'emergency's' "milk, bread and eggs."

We are traveling by plane soon and so we needed some of those small bottles of sanitizer and some travel Clorox wipes. Was told by an employee at WalMart to stop by around 6am because they stock that area early in the morning. Sure enough, several different hand sanitizers and wipes freshly stocked at 6am this morning. I image they're gone by 11am.

CloudDeckMedia
03-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Hoarding sanitizer and soap deprives others from using it. If they’re not disinfected because of your hoarding, then that puts everyone at risk.

Be smart - EVERYONE needs this stuff.

mugofbeer
03-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Yep, my grocery was totally out of Purell and same type of product. Also out of disinfectant wipes.

BBatesokc
03-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Interesting Coronavirus link....

WorldOMeter Coronavirus Statistics - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

jompster
03-08-2020, 09:52 PM
Every store I've been in was out of sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, low on bleach, practically out of every disinfecting home cleaners they stock, and nearly out of hand soaps.

dankrutka
03-08-2020, 11:18 PM
Hoarding sanitizer and soap deprives others from using it. If they’re not disinfected because of your hoarding, then that puts everyone at risk.

Be smart - EVERYONE needs this stuff.

100%

Bill Robertson
03-09-2020, 12:15 PM
I was at the dentist today and a guy in the chair next to me owns a liquor store. He said they're Everclear faster than he can get it in. It is 90% alcohol.

corwin1968
03-09-2020, 12:32 PM
We were in a WM Neighborhood Market yesterday and they had toilet paper but there were huge gaps in the shelving that attested to at least some panic buying.

Roger S
03-09-2020, 12:33 PM
DIY Hand Sanitizer

1/3 cup of Aloe Vera Gel
2/3rds cup of rubbing alcohol (at least 91%)
10 drops of one of the following (or mix and match) essential oils:Tea Tree, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon
Combine in bowl and whisk well.

T. Jamison
03-09-2020, 01:30 PM
My fiance is working on an art project for school which requires 70% rubbing alcohol. Neither Walmart Neighborhood Market nor Walgreens had any. Just 50% wintergreen alcohol.

Snowman
03-09-2020, 05:25 PM
We were in a WM Neighborhood Market yesterday and they had toilet paper but there were huge gaps in the shelving that attested to at least some panic buying.

The WM near me has large gaps on that isle on average days, not sure if they do not stock it as regularly as some other items or are just not fully utilizing the space

mugofbeer
03-09-2020, 07:08 PM
My fiance is working on an art project for school which requires 70% rubbing alcohol. Neither Walmart Neighborhood Market nor Walgreens had any. Just 50% wintergreen alcohol.

What's the level in Everclear?

T. Jamison
03-10-2020, 09:42 AM
What's the level in Everclear?

190 proof is 95%, which would've worked but it wasn't worth the trouble. We had 50%, but she wanted to try 70% because it would dry faster.

mkjeeves
03-10-2020, 11:46 AM
There was 70% isopropyl in the local Dollar store this morning. Maybe a lot of this is timing rather than actual shortage, shopping at or after peak time.

Laramie
03-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Fewer products are on the shelves at many of the stores like WinCo, Crest, Sams, Walmart & NH Markets--try your neighborhood mom & pop stores.

Use of an alcohol (less than 90%) and a gel mixture is still better than no sanitizer at all; temporary solution until you can get to a sink and do the 20 seconds of hand washing.

And for God's sake, keep your hands from your face especially after you've touched any surfaces or in contact around people coughing or sneezing.

We don't know the extent of this virus; it may be more air borne than expected.

Also with children who seem to be less venerable; you don't know if this virus will return later in a more complicated stage. Myself, I'm not ready to buy into this theory.

mugofbeer
03-10-2020, 08:18 PM
My child at OU tells me they have received information the school may 1) extend Spring break indefinitely 2) cancel classes for 2 weeks 3) go online

dankrutka
03-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Good for OU. It’s the absolute right decision.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

dankrutka
03-11-2020, 12:29 AM
I think the most likely scenario is that Thunder games are played without fans (which I think is the right move): https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28881794/nba-mulls-moving-games-different-cities-due-coronavirus?

BoulderSooner
03-11-2020, 05:48 AM
Good for OU. It’s the absolute right decision.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

such an overreaction

Roger S
03-11-2020, 06:41 AM
A flight attendant was admitted last night. Not all of the symptoms were consistent with Covid but they did two respiratory panels on the patient and both came back negative.

Ginkasa
03-11-2020, 07:00 AM
such an overreaction

If we take drastic measures and prevent an outbreak the response will be "such an overreaction". If we don't take drastic measures and end up with an outbreak, the response will be "there is nothing we could have done".

bombermwc
03-11-2020, 07:01 AM
Step 1, wash your hands. Step 2, dont rub your eyes or touch your mouth without first following step 1.

Step 3, YOU SHOULD ALREADY BE DOING THIS ANYWAY!

SoonerDave
03-11-2020, 07:33 AM
The frustrating thing right now is that if you try to encourage calm and rationality, you're minimizing the seriousness of the situation. On the other hand, if you try to stress that the dynamics of this are different from the flu, you're fostering hysteria.

I'm just washing my hands a lot. And trying to tell my kids to do the same.

The testing for this is exactly how most medical testing goes - which goes against the way most people think about testing and probability, and until I read up about how this works in the medical community I didn't entirely understand it. Now, someone in medicine can correct/refine me, but the idea is that most medical tests are designed to prove a negative. You have symptom "A", let's test to prove you don't have "X" that causes symptom "A". On that basis, the US response to testing for COVID-19 was entirely consistent - you don't set out to prove a bunch of subjects *have* it. You test to prove they *don't.*

And that explains why you started hearing about tests moving to a "presumptive positive" - that's exactly the mode you go into when you change how you approach a *specific* situation like this - you're no longer proving a negative, you're confirming a positive. That's a different ball of mathematical/probabilistic wax.

I think all any of us can do is continue to be smart, wash hands (a lot), and think long and hard about any long-range travel for at least a time. If you're in the higher-risk groups for age and primary health issues, even more discretion is needed. I'm just hoping we can start to get ahead of this soon, for the sake of everyone.

jerrywall
03-11-2020, 08:12 AM
My child at OU tells me they have received information the school may 1) extend Spring break indefinitely 2) cancel classes for 2 weeks 3) go online

My son at OSU got a similar notification.

SoonerDave
03-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Just asked my son, an OU student, if he'd heard anything like this...said he hadn't so far.

mkjeeves
03-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Going online is happening all over the country. Coming soon here probably.

sooner88
03-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Just asked my son, an OU student, if he'd heard anything like this...said he hadn't so far.

I have siblings at OU, and both were told to bring everything with them on spring break as they will most likely be moving to online for the remainder of the semester. University of Tulsa has already made the decision, so it is only a matter of time.

Laramie
03-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Tulsa area had two confirmed cases now. It's just a matter of time before the virus hits us. Stay tuned...

Zuplar
03-11-2020, 01:20 PM
I have a feeling the Thunder game on Friday is going to be done without fans. Which sucks cause of course I have tickets. lol.

But at the same time I understand.

BoulderSooner
03-11-2020, 01:33 PM
I have a feeling the Thunder game on Friday is going to be done without fans. Which sucks cause of course I have tickets. lol.

But at the same time I understand.

i doubt it

Roger S
03-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Tulsa area had two confirmed cases now. It's just a matter of time before the virus hits us. Stay tuned...

As I said above... A flight attendant was admitted here last night with respiratory issues that came back negative for all the known causes. They are being tested for Covid.

Mel
03-11-2020, 02:15 PM
This is really a bad time for Spring Allergies to kick in. We needed some food in the House, so going out shopping was no choice.

As soon as I stepped outside, bam, eyes watering and sneezing my head off. Pollen from the Colorado Red Cedars around Mustang.

Even sneezing into your elbow, or your Handkerchief, makes every one stare at you like your a leper. Fun times.

Zuplar
03-11-2020, 02:28 PM
i doubt it

Considering I got my info from a family member that works for the NBA, I think it's more likely than you think, that or you have insider info as well.

BoulderSooner
03-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Considering I got my info from a family member that works for the NBA, I think it's more likely than you think, that or you have insider info as well.

i was told the nba will remove fans city by city and case by case pretty much will have fans until they can't any more ...

ie san fran wanted and asked the warriors to cancel or not have fans last night .. . and the warriors said no ..... today the city bans groups over 1000 and warriors home games will now not have crowds

BoulderSooner
03-11-2020, 03:16 PM

thunder just sent out an email to season ticket holders outlining the steps they are talking to make the arena and game as safe as possible ..

Jersey Boss
03-11-2020, 03:20 PM
No crowds for NCAA Tourney.

jn1780
03-11-2020, 07:28 PM
Well, that escalated quickly. Cancelling an NBA game at the last minute.

SEMIweather
03-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Well, OKC has a positive case now, in the most surreal way imaginable.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1237914656490078213

Zuplar
03-11-2020, 07:55 PM
i was told the nba will remove fans city by city and case by case pretty much will have fans until they can't any more ...

ie san fran wanted and asked the warriors to cancel or not have fans last night .. . and the warriors said no ..... today the city bans groups over 1000 and warriors home games will now not have crowds

Again I had insider knowledge that’s why I said what I did.

Looks like I got good info.

Zuplar
03-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Just FYI all staff and whatnot that came in contact with the players looks like they may be getting tested. They are currently being held at the arena waiting on the health department.

This is what the person I know that works in the NBA just text me.

Dustin
03-11-2020, 08:09 PM

And his name is Rudy Gobert...lol

SEMIweather
03-11-2020, 08:11 PM
And his name is Rudy Gobert...lol

Truly unbelievable.

Pete
03-11-2020, 08:14 PM
No matter when this gets turned around, the economic impact is going to be immense.

Way, way worse than 9/11 or anything else in modern history.

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2020, 08:21 PM
No matter when this gets turned around, the economic impact is going to be immense.

Way, way worse than 9/11 or anything else in modern history.

I agree, Pete. The next step could be shutting down all domestic commercial air travel. Can you even imagine? That’s what the Chinese have done and apparently is being credited for up to 70% of the success of their draconian containment strategy.

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Channel 9 reporting Gobert in an Oklahoma City hospital.

Rover
03-11-2020, 08:33 PM

I believe it is at least two cases because the nutcase Rubio has it too. He was laughing at it last week. May not be so funny now.

Pete
03-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Huge impact for airlines, hotels, sports, arenas, concerts, conventions even restaurants and bars... And of course all the ripple effect.

Even just losing the Thunder games for a while will be a huge hit to OKC.

It's hard to even comprehend the economic impact. There will also just be an immense health care burden, especially because we have so many people in this state and country without insurance.

Then, trade and almost every business is going to take a hit, many will be crippled. Schools start getting closed, what happens to all the working moms and dads?? It's going to go on and on.

All this said understanding there are real and sincere concerns for the health of so many.

This whole thing seems to be snowballing and if people were panicking before, things are really going to take off now.

Pete
03-11-2020, 08:34 PM
I believe it is at least two cases because the nutcase Rubio has it too. He was laughing at it last week. May not be so funny now.

Gobert was mocking the virus in a press conference on Monday.

traemac
03-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Rubio doesn't play for the jazz

d-usa
03-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Gobert was mocking the virus in a recent press conference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.northjersey.com/amp/5028049002

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2020, 08:52 PM
it’s 9:50 as I write this. Still no comment from Governor Stitt. Where is our state leadership? Am I being too harsh?

Rover
03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=traemac;1108210]Rubio doesn't play for the jazz[/QUOTEsorry. You are right... he got traded from Jazz to Suns. He was one mocking the virus and continuing to high five fans.

Mr. Blue Sky
03-11-2020, 08:58 PM
It’s 9:56 and Governor Stitt’s office just released a statement.
The power of OKCTalk. (Just kidding)
The statement said nothing we couldn’t assume.