View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

BBatesokc
03-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Maybe . . . but how many people are going to drop $3k + $40/mo. if their financial circumstances are even slightly in question?

Apparently enough.... Peloton Stock Soars as Gyms Close and Home Workouts Spike. https://www.barrons.com/articles/peloton-stock-soars-as-home-workouts-spike-51584476095

These were never marketed towards your average consumer.

We were looking into one and possibly not starting our two gym memberships back up. However, with warm weather here, I'd rather be outside.

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 07:48 AM
Apparently enough.... Peloton Stock Soars as Gyms Close and Home Workouts Spike. https://www.barrons.com/articles/peloton-stock-soars-as-home-workouts-spike-51584476095

These were never marketed towards your average consumer.

We were looking into one and possibly not starting our two gym memberships back up. However, with warm weather here, I'd rather be outside.

I bet all those women who were so shocked and appalled by that peloton commercial depicting a man buying a peloton as a Christmas gift for his wife are changing their tune this week :rolleyes::p

Pete
03-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Winco moving from 24 hours to 7AM to midnight.

They are also seeking to hire a bunch of people, as are most grocery stores.

AP
03-18-2020, 08:22 AM
I bet all those women who were so shocked and appalled by that peloton commercial depicting a man buying a peloton as a Christmas gift for his wife are changing their tune this week :rolleyes::p

Probably not

mkjeeves
03-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Winco moving from 24 hours to 7AM to midnight.

They are also seeking to hire a bunch of people, as are most grocery stores.

Hopefully that’s an answer for some who are out of work from other closings.

kukblue1
03-18-2020, 09:11 AM
#BREAKING: London is expected to go into lockdown in the coming days, a source close to the mayor's office told The Telegraph. I really think its going to happen here shortly also. Not sure I'm wanting to do any extra spending right now. IE fast food, or just things in general I don't need.

Pete
03-18-2020, 09:13 AM
Hopefully that’s an answer for some who are out of work from other closings.

I would hope that may of those out of work due to restaurant and bar closures would shift to these stores.

Also, Amazon and delivery services need a lot of people.

Roger S
03-18-2020, 10:11 AM
I would hope that may of those out of work due to restaurant and bar closures would shift to these stores.

Also, Amazon and delivery services need a lot of people.

I noticed most of the Pizza Huts had signs out they they are hiring drivers.

OKC Guy
03-18-2020, 10:38 AM
As for those who shop and hoard extra items this making it hard for others to get basics. I think with all the eating places shut down there is generally under-capacity for grocery stores right now. There are simply more people eating at home thus more need to grocery shop. As these stores ramp up workers to restock it will likely get better. And producers will ramp up their production. I don’t think the store shortages are being caused by the few selfish hoarders rather just way more sustained shoppers than they can serve based on past sales.

BoulderSooner
03-18-2020, 10:45 AM
lots of restaurants in non OKC norman city limits are still full open and i would guess will stay that way

Pete
03-18-2020, 10:47 AM
And almost every restaurant offers carry-out or delivery.

Pete
03-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Now 29 confirmed cases in Oklahoma, but the health department is no longer breaking it down by county.

Decious
03-18-2020, 11:22 AM
16 of the 29 cases in Oklahoma county.

OKC Guy
03-18-2020, 11:28 AM
And almost every restaurant offers carry-out or delivery.

We need them to survive to rehire once this passes. I wonder if they converted servers to take out. And hope people tip as if they sat inside.

Pete
03-18-2020, 11:38 AM
We need them to survive to rehire once this passes. I wonder if they converted servers to take out. And hope people tip as if they sat inside.

I talked to one local restaurant group owner who completely laid off 150 people and kept only 14.

And of those that remain, they will likely be on a significant pay cut.

Unemployment costs are going to be astronomical.

jdizzle
03-18-2020, 12:00 PM
16 of the 29 cases in Oklahoma county.

Where more tests are, which makes sense. These numbers are not surprising, at all. More people, more tests, more positive tests, etc. These are blessings, since that is now 30 less infected people on the streets.

Jersey Boss
03-18-2020, 12:07 PM
I talked to one local restaurant group owner who completely laid off 150 people and kept only 14.

And of those that remain, they will likely be on a significant pay cut.

Unemployment costs are going to be astronomical.

And with the sub minimum wage for many servers, UI will be a pittance

Jersey Boss
03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
lots of restaurants in non OKC norman city limits are still full open and i would guess will stay that way

Only till 8 tonight in Norman. And as an aside the vast majority in Norman, save 1 or 2, the dining rooms are already closed.

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 12:11 PM
A family friend of ours has been in the ICU on a ventilator since Friday. Just tested positive for it today. He took a trip to Texas three weeks ago and came down with it about two weeks ago so no doubt it’s been going around for three weeks or more here.

On Edit: Our friend would be considered in the high risk category due to age and preexisting conditions. It appears as though at least one member of that family is getting pretty sick as well now and will likely test positive soon but is only in the elevated risk group due to age. Hoping everything turns out alright.

Pete
03-18-2020, 12:12 PM
A family friend of ours has been in the ICU on a ventilator since Friday. Just tested positive for it today. He took a trip to Texas three weeks ago and came down with it about two weeks ago does no doubt it’s been going around for three weeks or more here.

That's horrible.

As this thing starts to hit people we know and love, there is going to be another wave of horribleness.

BoulderSooner
03-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Only till 8 tonight in Norman. And as an aside the vast majority in Norman, save 1 or 2, the dining rooms are already closed.

a bunch of other metro cities have no announced plans to close at all

EBAH
03-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Bill Ackman's plan for a global spring break is literally the only sensible plan I have heard to date. Literally everything needs to close, literally all transactions halted, we need to make sure everyone has money for basic supplies, and that they aren't in danger to get them and save everyone's life, otherwise every business will fail, all of them. We can not afford to be piecemeal about this. It all needs to shut down, everything. NOW Essential services and essential supply chain only, except of course for medical staff which needs to be bolstered. The way this state and others and the fed have been handling this is just quite simply shameful.

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Bill Ackman's plan for a global spring break is literally the only sensible plan I have heard to date. Literally everything needs to close, literally all transactions halted, we need to make sure everyone has money for basic supplies, and that they aren't in danger to get them and save everyone's life, otherwise every business will fail, all of them. We can not afford to be piecemeal about this. It all needs to shut down, everything. NOW Essential services and essential supply chain only, except of course for medical staff which needs to be bolstered. The way this state and others and the fed have been handling this is just quite simply shameful.

That all sounds great but is much easier said than done.

EBAH
03-18-2020, 12:27 PM
Actually it isn't, it just takes brazen leadership which we seem to have in all the wrong ways. Taking a 30 day pause is actually a lot easier than devising an endless series of bailout schemes targeting every subsequently failing industry which, if we don't act fast will be failing in the usual domino order for the next year or two. At the end of the day, restaurant worker can't live without rent money and food, restaurant owner can't keep restaurant without labor or income, landlord can't pay bank without rent from restaurant owner, and on and on and on, it won't stop until we provide a gap. We just have to save all the lives and stop the spread, the economy will work once the threat is removed, it's actually kind of weirdly simple.

BoulderSooner
03-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Actually it isn't, it just takes brazen leadership which we seem to have in all the wrong ways. Taking a 30 day pause is actually a lot easier than devising an endless series of bailout schemes targeting every subsequently failing industry which, if we don't act fast will be failing in the usual domino order for the next year or two. At the end of the day, restaurant worker can't live without rent money and food, restaurant owner can't keep restaurant without labor or income, landlord can't pay bank without rent from restaurant owner, and on and on and on, it won't stop until we provide a gap. We just have to save all the lives and stop the spread, the economy will work once the threat is removed, it's actually kind of weirdly simple.

a much better plan would be for everyone to just go back to normal life

OKC Guy
03-18-2020, 12:59 PM
It seems Italy has passed its peak infection rate and is already slowing down.

Increase in New cases per day

Mar 11 22.8%
Mar 12 21.3%
Mar 13 16.9%
Mar 14 19.8%
Mar 15 16.9%
Mar 16 13.1%
Mar 17 12.6%

They also have higher elderly population plus opened up to lots of Chinese production in Italy which they had daily direct flights to/from China and Wuhan.

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 01:02 PM

Edit: My post was out of line. Apologies.

ChargerAg
03-18-2020, 01:56 PM
Now 29 confirmed cases in Oklahoma, but the health department is no longer breaking it down by county.

I don't understand why they stopped doing it per county. I haven't seen any other state do this. Texas and New York still share by county and they are much further along.

KayneMo
03-18-2020, 02:06 PM
County stats are back up:
Canadian - 2
Cleveland - 4
Jackson - 1
Kay - 2
Oklahoma - 14
Payne - 1
Tulsa - 4
Pawnee - 1

kukblue1
03-18-2020, 02:40 PM
From my friend at Braums today. We probably had about 8 to 10 people standing in line waiting to order and then we had probably be about 8 to 10 people waiting on food everybody was kind of staying away from each other there except for a few. So much for groups of 10 SMH

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 03:01 PM
That's horrible.

As this thing starts to hit people we know and love, there is going to be another wave of horribleness.

no doubt.

PhiAlpha
03-18-2020, 03:06 PM
From my friend at Braums today. We probably had about 8 to 10 people standing in line waiting to order and then we had probably be about 8 to 10 people waiting on food everybody was kind of staying away from each other there except for a few. So much for groups of 10 SMH

Yeah they should really shut down everything other than the drive thru for anything other than groceries...that said, all of those people had the option of using the drive thru. Maybe they could at least put a notice on the door requesting that they use the drive thru for anything other than groceries. I know that prior to yesterday, I limited my eating out only to restaurants that closed their dining rooms.

mugofbeer
03-18-2020, 03:32 PM
Varicella aka chicken pox has a vaccine. It's extremely effective.
Older adults are recommended to get the shingles vaccine, which is (simplified) a booster shot to prevent partial reemergence of the latent varicella virus.
That's not the situation we have today, though you are correct that the hope of a vaccine is something we should all support.

Trust me. I failed to get the shingles vaccine and got the shingles. I am one of 5 who has significant lingering pain because of it. If it weren't for lydocaine patches l would feel bees stinging me constantly around my midsection. Its not horrible but it's painful enough to get crazy tired and mean at times. The medicines dont really work and make you drowsy.

If you've had chicken pox, get the shingles vaccine! If you've had shingles early in life you are succeptible to getting it again. Get vaccinated! My constant pain is bad enough but some get it on their face and eyes! You absolutely don't want to get this!

Plutonic Panda
03-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Penn Square is closed and it’s owner is shutting down all of their stores and malls across the country.

brian72
03-18-2020, 05:55 PM
Well at least that'll curb the shootings.

Pete
03-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Edmond just followed suit with OKC and will be closing all bars and restaurants will be limited to carry-out and delivery only, all this effective end of day Thursday (tomorrow).

Also closed gyms, theaters, bowling alleys and other recreational facilities.

kukblue1
03-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Yeah they should really shut down everything other than the drive thru for anything other than groceries...that said, all of those people had the option of using the drive thru. Maybe they could at least put a notice on the door requesting that they use the drive thru for anything other than groceries. I know that prior to yesterday, I limited my eating out only to restaurants that closed their dining rooms.

the first coronavirus case of a fast food worker will shut the industry down rather quickly I would imagine it

brian72
03-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Your right if somebody is infected at any of these to go food places. Then everything will be shut down. Panic is a serious problem

Plutonic Panda
03-18-2020, 06:41 PM
Embark conditions: https://freepressokc.com/new-situation-for-embark-buses-streetcars-under-state-of-emergency/

TheTravellers
03-18-2020, 07:19 PM
Well at least that'll curb the shootings.

Post of the day!

ahlokc
03-18-2020, 07:45 PM
They added this back to their website, FYI.

catch22
03-18-2020, 08:11 PM
I posted this in the other thread in Politics but it quickly disappeared under the usual back and forth...

Am I missing something? None of the networks are picking up on this. This drug seems to stomp it out pretty quickly.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/bayer-preps-u-s-donation-malaria-med-chloroquine-to-help-covid-19-fight-report

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTi-g18ftNZUMRAj2SwRPodtscFio7bJ7GdNgbJAGbdfF67WuRJB3Z sidgpidB2eocFHAVjIL-7deJ7/pub?fbclid=IwAR3HXmAaRvsKQwtD4mT0W6NU4bTJvZnR6f3KL RcsWkXSOGn33dbdR1KyS0Q

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/French-researcher-in-Marseille-posts-successful-Covid-19-coronavirus-drug-trial-results

I think this was the same drug mentioned on an OKC news website that was being researched at OU Medical...

If this is true this could be stopped very quickly.

catch22
03-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Not a rhetorical question either, if it is so effective for treatment why is it not being picked up hardly at all?

soonerguru
03-18-2020, 08:29 PM
acording to CDC over a million tests are already out and 4 mil by the end of the week /

Lol

kukblue1
03-18-2020, 08:58 PM
Your right if somebody is infected at any of these to go food places. Then everything will be shut down. Panic is a serious problem

I can see the news now. Latest person to test positive was a fast food service worker or worked at walmart. An hour later the mayor will be holding a news conference.

dankrutka
03-18-2020, 09:08 PM
I fail to see how going to Braums and eating in a basically empty dinning area is any more dangerous then buying groceries (considering many of the grocery store aisles are narrow and are often quite busy) or standing around people all waiting for their takeout order or waiting in line at a cashier.

A lot of strawmen in here. First, if the dining area is empty or they plan for social distancing then that would be fine. Are you saying it stays empty all day except for a single table. Second, I would not recommend going in grocery stores if you don't have to (call in order or go at low times) or stand near other people waiting for carry out (pick up outside and social distance from people). I wouldn't recommend any of these three things.

dankrutka
03-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Not sure why more gyms and such didn't plan to do this.... but, my wife's gym class instructor obviously can't teach at the gym any longer..... So.... She simply moved her classes to Facebook Live.

My wife has done her yoga classes online every day recently. It's good to see some businesses transition quickly,

dankrutka
03-18-2020, 09:13 PM
a much better plan would be for everyone to just go back to normal life

Epidemiologists have modeled this plan and estimate possibly 2.2 million deaths. A ton of these would be unnecessary as health care systems would be completely overwhelmed and people just having heart attacks could die. Great plan and analysis though.

Jersey Boss
03-18-2020, 09:15 PM
I can see the news now. Latest person to test positive was a fast food service worker or worked at walmart. An hour later the mayor will be holding a news conference.

Fast food worker? They are so far down on the totem pole for testing they won't see it for awile. Hospital employees who have been exposed are not getting tested. They are down to injured NBA players getting the test.

dankrutka
03-18-2020, 09:18 PM
Sorry for several posts in row. Just catching up on the thread. Two good Twitter posts worth consider.

First, this Twitter thread by Shane Hampton is an incredible account of the 1918 Spanish Flu in OKC: https://twitter.com/shanehamp/status/1240403739548299264

Second, from an Asian-American doctor, consider not using the term "Chinese virus" (don't forget the U.S.' history of Asian xenophobia as context - see Chinese Exclusion Act, Japanese incarceration): https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1240345441046114304

Roger S
03-19-2020, 06:41 AM
Hospital employees who have been exposed are not getting tested.

Even scarier... One of the hospitalists I know was exposed and when they asked what the testing procedure was for them. The head of the hospital told them to go to the ER.

BBatesokc
03-19-2020, 07:17 AM
On a side note.... I was able to get my hands on some Mevo live-streaming devices (the plus and even the Mevo Start that hasn't been officially released yet). I'm making them available to my boxing gym that does Parkinson's classes and a couple of non-profits I've supported for years. If you know of a group that could benefit from the use (borrow, they gotta give it back) of one of these devices have them send me a message (priority given to groups that are making an effort during this time of self-quarantine to positively impact those locally).

AP
03-19-2020, 07:39 AM
First, this Twitter thread by Shane Hampton is an incredible account of the 1918 Spanish Flu in OKC: https://twitter.com/shanehamp/status/1240403739548299264

Incredible thread.

betts
03-19-2020, 08:03 AM
Why does “flattening the curve” help? Why shouldn’t we all just get infected and get it over with? Because we don’t have enough hospital beds or equipment to treat a massive uptick in cases. We don’t have enough protective gear for health care providers. If we can slow down the infection rate, as people get well (or die), it frees up medical equipment for the next wave. It allows manufacturers time to produce more equipment, drugs and supplies. It gives us time to see if treatments they’re trying in other countries work. It gives us time to
Work on a vaccine. Having adequate protective gear means you are more likely to have doctors or nurses well enough and awake enough to care for you when if you or a loved one gets sick enough to need medical care. Here in the US we’re seeing a fair number of people in the 20-40 age group sick enough to require hospitalization so if you think because you’re young you’re safe, think again.

betts
03-19-2020, 08:06 AM
https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/oklahoma-city-police-call-911-if-you-see-a-business-in-violation-of-mayors-emergency-proclamation/amp/

Call 911 if you see a business open for inside business other than carry out.

kukblue1
03-19-2020, 08:13 AM

I really don't understand this. So what if the go sit in the dining area just keep 6 feet away from others. They have already been in the store standing in line for 5 minutes or wait on their food for 5 minutes or at the cause of Braums cause it was busy both happen and they were all in there for 10 minutes. I know other places have closed off their lobbies all together. Mcdonalds, taco mayo, chick-fil-a are 3 i know for sure. Drive thru only.

Plutonic Panda
03-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Thank you for the morning laugh. Normally I would say I hope you aren’t serious but it’s funnier if you are serious. Good stuff.

Edmond Hausfrau
03-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Why does “flattening the curve” help? Why shouldn’t we all just get infected and get it over with? Because we don’t have enough hospital beds or equipment to treat a massive uptick in cases. We don’t have enough protective gear for health care providers. If we can slow down the infection rate, as people get well (or die), it frees up medical equipment for the next wave. It allows manufacturers time to produce more equipment, drugs and supplies. It gives us time to see if treatments they’re trying in other countries work. It gives us time to
Work on a vaccine. Having adequate protective gear means you are more likely to have doctors or nurses well enough and awake enough to care for you when if you or a loved one gets sick enough to need medical care. Here in the US we’re seeing a fair number of people in the 20-40 age group sick enough to require hospitalization so if you think because you’re young you’re safe, think again.

Thank you for this post. It's very well stated.

Ginkasa
03-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the morning laugh. Normally I would say I hope you aren’t serious but it’s funnier if you are serious. Good stuff.

The article she linked says exactly that, per OKCPD.

betts
03-19-2020, 08:26 AM
I really don't understand this. So what if the go sit in the dining area just keep 6 feet away from others. They have already been in the store standing in line for 5 minutes or wait on their food for 5 minutes or at the cause of Braums cause it was busy both happen and they were all in there for 10 minutes. I know other places have closed off their lobbies all together. Mcdonalds, taco mayo, chick-fil-a are 3 i know for sure. Drive thru only.

Do you know that the person who sat at the table prior to you wasn’t infected? Do you know how the table was cleaned between guests? How many surfaces did you touch? Is each surface being sanitized between each contact? Did you open the door with your hands? Was it cleaned with sanitizer before you touched it and between each guest. COVID-19 can live on stainless steel for 4-6 days. Curbside pickup or drive through are far safer, but not completely safe. Luckily, heat and stomach acid seem to destroy the virus so prepared hot food shouldn’t contain the virus, but the packaging could. Cardboard seems to be a worse surface on which virus can thrive, by quite a bit over stainless steel and plastic, interestingly.