View Full Version : Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

soonerguru
09-09-2020, 06:21 PM
No, I'm not suggesting that.

There is nothing stopping people from masking up and/or social distancing at home, unless they're too stubborn to do so.

You are blaming old people. You have done this twice now and been called on it. You completely ignore the fact that people have pointed out that many 50 - 65 plus people have to work, have children at home, etc. As many as 20% of grandparents in the US are helping to raise their grandchildren.

I agree that the foolishness we saw at Sturgis and throughout the metro of people not wearing masks is a problem. But you keep citing this age isolation strategy as if it is a solution. Do you know how many multigenerational families live in cities and towns where kids are going to school in person, and in many cases not even required to mask up?

- The virus affects people who are young, seriously, and even fatally
- The virus affects people who are middle aged, seriously, and even fatally
- People of various ages cannot escape it if their children are going to school, or if they are at work for an employer that thinks COVID is a hoax, or a place where sick people are encouraged to work

Bunty
09-09-2020, 06:23 PM
1) when did the numbers for Stillwater and the surrounding counties begin to rise?

2) I simply cannot understand the constant argument to just basically block all 65+ folks away until this is all over. How many grandparents are primary caregivers of children in this State? How many 65+ folks are still having to work full time? How many 65+ people are living at home with their kids and grandkids who are having to care for them while also having to work in the community and go to school? How many 65+ folks are living in multigenerational households? The whole argument just seems to boil down to “its old people’s job to keep safe, why should I have to do anything about them”.
1. I don't know, but 4 after hundreds of new positive cases isn't much of a rise after it had been 2 or 3.

2. It's not hard to understand. This is because in Oklahoma, 80% of covid deaths happen to those 65 or over. It's a good thing covid hospitalizations aren't going up in Oklahoma.

soonerguru
09-09-2020, 06:35 PM
1. I don't know, but 4 after hundreds of new positive cases isn't much of a rise after it had been 2 or 3.

2. It's not hard to understand. This is because in Oklahoma, 80% of covid deaths happen to those 65 or over. It's a good thing covid hospitalizations aren't going up in Oklahoma.

Why are you dodging the question about people who work or live in intergenerational households?

Bunty
09-09-2020, 06:48 PM
You are blaming old people. You have done this twice now and been called on it. You completely ignore the fact that people have pointed out that many 50 - 65 plus people have to work, have children at home, etc. As many as 20% of grandparents in the US are helping to raise their grandchildren.

I agree that the foolishness we saw at Sturgis and throughout the metro of people not wearing masks is a problem. But you keep citing this age isolation strategy as if it is a solution. Do you know how many multigenerational families live in cities and towns where kids are going to school in person, and in many cases not even required to mask up?

- The virus affects people who are young, seriously, and even fatally
- The virus affects people who are middle aged, seriously, and even fatally
- People of various ages cannot escape it if their children are going to school, or if they are at work. for an employer that thinks COVID is a hoax, or a place where sick people are encouraged to work

Once again, you can't run from the fact that 80% of the covid deaths happen to people 65 or over. I can't help it society is not doing a good job of looking out for them or they're not always doing their part to protect themselves. I'm sorry if some people find that masking up or social distancing at home isn't acceptable. But if masks work, they will work whether at home or when out.

Interesting that in Minnesota the age group with the most deaths are in their 80s. Second greatest is in their 90s. More Minnesota people in their 100s died than in their 40s. They were done with grand parenting if in nursing homes. The expected life expectancy is 79. Probably Oklahoma isn't much different.

Only around 1.24% of deaths happen to those under 36. As time goes on with this new virus we'll get a better idea of how bad and lasting the after effects are that happen to some people.

C_M_25
09-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Our total case count is really disturbing when comparing to other state curves across the US. I just looked qualitatively at a nice cross-section of states and most are showing a clearly defined second peak where they were dropping off the other side. Our curve has shown the second peak, but we’re now flat and trending up.

I will say this. We just finished up a road trip and are spending some time on the emerald coast (don’t judge me. We’re doing a really great job social distancing, btw, and we’re getting some much needed time away.) Anyway, I was really surprised in how other states are managing this vs Oklahoma. Every place we stopped at, there were clear and defined signs everywhere saying “masks are mandatory here.” People in Arkansas, Mississippi, and evening Tennessee are doing a much much better job than we are with this. Keep in mind, however, that we really didn’t make many stops. One, maybe 2, in each state so it may not be entirely representative...

jonny d
09-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Our total case count is really disturbing when comparing to other state curves across the US. I just looked qualitatively at a nice cross-section of states and most are showing a clearly defined second peak where they were dropping off the other side. Our curve has shown the second peak, but we’re now flat and trending up.

I will say this. We just finished up a road trip and are spending some time on the emerald coast (don’t judge me. We’re doing a really great job social distancing, btw, and we’re getting some much needed time away.) Anyway, I was really surprised in how other states are managing this vs Oklahoma. Every place we stopped at, there were clear and defined signs everywhere saying “masks are mandatory here.” People in Arkansas, Mississippi, and evening Tennessee are doing a much much better job than we are with this. Keep in mind, however, that we really didn’t make many stops. One, maybe 2, in each state so it may not be entirely representative...

I had the opposite feeling visiting Oregon and Washington. They were NOT fans of the mask, and didn't wear them in gas stations or grocery stores, unless forced to by employees. They have had enough of them, having them in effect since March. But yeah, it was only the PDX/Vancouver, WA area, so not fully representative, But it was crazy, considering how you hear about the protests and stuff up there.

Just 1 person's opinion, though.

Jersey Boss
09-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Federal Task Force puts Oklahoma in red zone.

White House Coronavirus Task Force recommends stricter restrictions in Oklahoma
https://www.koco.com/article/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-recommends-stricter-restrictions-in-oklahoma/33972778

rwalker
09-10-2020, 07:24 AM
I guess most of the Private Schools in OKC are completely open and the case counts are staying very low. Has anyone else heard the same?

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 07:30 AM
Federal Task Force puts Oklahoma in red zone.

White House Coronavirus Task Force recommends stricter restrictions in Oklahoma
https://www.koco.com/article/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-recommends-stricter-restrictions-in-oklahoma/33972778

Absolutely meaningless unless the leaders do something with it. Or to use to toss them out next election.

Rover
09-10-2020, 07:33 AM
I guess most of the Private Schools in OKC are completely open and the case counts are staying very low. Has anyone else heard the same?

Where are you hearing that from? Anecdotal or fact based?

We have to get past people promoting wrong info that is spread by people without actual knowledge. Decisions made with erroneous input are worthless.

rwalker
09-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Where are you hearing that from? Anecdotal or fact based?

We have to get past people promoting wrong info that is spread by people without actual knowledge. Decisions made with erroneous input are worthless.

Our child is enrolled in one of them. So we have direct knowledge.

Pete
09-10-2020, 07:42 AM
White House Coronavirus Task Force 9/6/20:

SUMMARY
• Oklahoma is in the red zone for cases, indicating more than 100 new cases per 100,000 population last week,with the 9th highest rate in the country. Oklahoma is in the red zone for test positivity, indicating a rate above 10%, with the 4th highest rate in the country.
• Oklahoma has seen an increase in new cases and an increase in test positivity over the last week.
• The following three counties had the highest number of new cases over the last 3 weeks: 1. Tulsa County, 2. Oklahoma County, and 3. Cleveland County. These counties represent 42.5% of new cases in Oklahoma.
• 65% of all counties in Oklahoma have moderate or high levels of community transmission (yellow or red zone), with 31% having high levels of community transmission (red zone). There is virus in rural and urban counties.
• During the week of Aug 24 – Aug 30, 12% of nursing homes had at least one new resident COVID-19 case, 13% of nursing homes had at least one new staff COVID-19, and 4% of nursing homes had at least one new resident COVID-19 death.
• Oklahoma had 146 new cases per 100,000 population in the last week, compared to a national average of 88 per 100,000.
• Current staff deployed from the federal government as assets to support the state response are: 4 to support operations activities from FEMA; 8 to support epidemiology activities from CDC; 60 to support medical activities from VA; and 1 to support operations activities from VA.
• Between Aug 29 - Sep 04, on average, 89 patients with confirmed COVID-19 and 88 patients with suspected COVID-19 were reported as newly admitted each day to hospitals in Oklahoma. An average of 84% of hospitals reported either new confirmed or new suspected COVID patients each day during this period; therefore, this may be an underestimate of the actual total number of COVID-related hospitalizations. Underreporting may lead to a lower allocation of critical supplies.

RECOMMENDATIONS
• Require masks in metro areas and counties with COVID-19 cases among students or teachers in K-12 schools.
• In university settings:

• Increase testing capacity by expanding public-private partnerships; increasing the budget and capacity of public health labs; pooling specimens where appropriate; and utilizing all university, veterinary and research platforms for surveillance and testing of students and, if needed, the surrounding
communities.
• Require all universities and colleges to have a plan for both rapid testing and contact tracing of symptomatic students and periodic surveillance testing of students. Ensure quick turnaround times for results and the rapid isolation of cases and quarantine of contacts. Residential cases and contacts should not be sent home to isolate or quarantine.
• Recruit college and university students to expand public health messaging and contact tracing capacity and ensure protection of local communities by strict mask wearing and social distancing off campus.
• Universities and colleges should work with various student leaders and campus media to support compliance with recommendations.
• Consider utilizing focused wastewater surveillance to detect cases early and to direct diagnostic testing and public health interventions.
• Using the Abbott BinaxNOW, establish weekly surveillance in critical populations to monitor degree of community spread among K-12 teachers; staff working at nursing homes, assisted living, and other congregate living settings; and first responders.
• Bars must be closed, and indoor dining must be restricted to 50% of normal capacity in yellow zone and 25% of normal capacity in red zone counties and metro areas. Expand outdoor dining options.
• Tribal Nations: Continue enforcement of social distancing and masking measures in areas of increased transmission. Continue enhanced testing activities. Increase Abbott ID Now supplies to test individuals in positive households.
• Specific, detailed guidance on community mitigation measures can be found on the CDC website.

catcherinthewry
09-10-2020, 08:01 AM
Our child is enrolled in one of them. So we have direct knowledge.

Thanks for confirming that your claim was anecdotal based.

rwalker
09-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Thanks for confirming that your claim was anecdotal based.

It’s okay.

Not everyone is in a position to know the facts about those schools.

BoulderSooner
09-10-2020, 08:26 AM
oakdale district is also open 5 days a week ..

catcherinthewry
09-10-2020, 08:29 AM
It’s okay.

Not everyone is in a position to know the facts about those schools.

When you find some in that position please let us know.

rwalker
09-10-2020, 08:35 AM
When you find some in that position please let us know.

I’m sorry you’re not.

But some of us are.

RangersYear
09-10-2020, 08:37 AM
The private school I work for has low numbers, but we understand that could change tomorrow. We spent the summer implementing dozens of risk mitigation strategies. Class sizes are small and socially distanced. Masks are required in all buildings at all times. Buildings are sanitized every night. Athletic teams practice in cohorts. We are starting to believe that the biggest reason for our early success is having a robust contact tracing team who can quickly identify, then isolate cases and quarantine contacts.

catcherinthewry
09-10-2020, 08:44 AM
Sorry you’re not.

I have a kid at OU. Does that make me qualified to make blanket statements on public universities in Oklahoma?

jedicurt
09-10-2020, 09:04 AM
The private school I work for has low numbers, but we understand that could change tomorrow. We spent the summer implementing dozens of risk mitigation strategies. Class sizes are small and socially distanced. Masks are required in all buildings at all times. Buildings are sanitized every night. Athletic teams practice in cohorts. We are starting to believe that the biggest reason for our early success is having a robust contact tracing team who can quickly identify, then isolate cases and quarantine contacts.

thank you for the information. glad to know that some schools took precautions. that seems to be the biggest problem through all of this, very few people want to actually look at potential problems and solve them. the public schools administrations had all summer to think of solutions, and it seriously looks like most of them just sat around and hoped it would just go away

Jersey Boss
09-10-2020, 09:44 AM
thank you for the information. glad to know that some schools took precautions. that seems to be the biggest problem through all of this, very few people want to actually look at potential problems and solve them. the public schools administrations had all summer to think of solutions, and it seriously looks like most of them just sat around and hoped it would just go away
I'm going to add this caveat.
My belief is that the local school districts did not address this issue was due to the fact that the State Board of Education was working on a unified approach state wide. Of course this made sense to these local administrators as their students would be coming into contact with students outside of their districts through athletics as well as other functions. By all indications Joy Hoffmeister was displaying the leadership that was lacking in the executive branch. The State Board however thought it best to issue non binding recommendations instead of mandates.
This lack of leadership on the part of the State Board has resulted in local districts facing the type of problems reported in the State Impact piece, written last month.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2020/08/24/oklahoma-schools-covid-19-guidelines-are-widely-ignored-by-many-rural-districts/

Pete
09-10-2020, 10:07 AM
771 new cases today; 7-day rolling average now 810.

13 more reported deaths.

jedicurt
09-10-2020, 10:35 AM
I'm going to add this caveat.
My belief is that the local school districts did not address this issue was due to the fact that the State Board of Education was working on a unified approach state wide. Of course this made sense to these local administrators as their students would be coming into contact with students outside of their districts through athletics as well as other functions. By all indications Joy Hoffmeister was displaying the leadership that was lacking in the executive branch. The State Board however thought it best to issue non binding recommendations instead of mandates.
This lack of leadership on the part of the State Board has resulted in local districts facing the type of problems reported in the State Impact piece, written last month.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2020/08/24/oklahoma-schools-covid-19-guidelines-are-widely-ignored-by-many-rural-districts/

fair enough

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 10:37 AM
I just saw the new case and deaths graphs on Oklahoma Source.

The rolling average deaths line is going the right direction.

And having 3 days of the rolling average data including rapid tests the new case line is flat when I expected it to be heading upward drastically.

TheTravellers
09-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Good information about Sweden, clears up some misconceptions that have been around, and herd immunity.

Why ‘herd immunity’ is a distraction (https://asiatimes.com/2020/09/why-herd-immunity-is-a-distraction/)

Jersey Boss
09-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Good information about Sweden, clears up some misconceptions that have been around, and herd immunity.

Why ‘herd immunity’ is a distraction (https://asiatimes.com/2020/09/why-herd-immunity-is-a-distraction/)

+1 May Sweden and herd immunity be given The Walk of Shame in this thread.

Bunty
09-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Why are you dodging the question about people who work or live in intergenerational households?

There is no question they should take precautions, such as masking and social distancing when at home or work.

kukblue1
09-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Flat is not good our cases seem like they should be going down by now. Aren't we near the top in total cases per 100,000 population and in rate of positive test. In the last 2 months have we had 3 days in a row that have been below 700 cases?

jdizzle
09-10-2020, 12:41 PM
Flat is not good our cases seem like they should be going down by now. Aren't we near the top in total cases per 100,000 population and in rate of positive test. In the last 2 months have we had 3 days in a row that have been below 700 cases?

Ah, letting great be the enemy of good. Any progress is good, given the apathy towards the virus now.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Do remember that the last three days included rapid tests. Flat is good when you add a new class of results and it stays flat. I expected a much larger jump by adding them. And the metro areas that have mask mandates are dropping. Statewide we don’t have such mandates and I was in a handful of smaller towns Monday and didn’t see a mask anywhere.

soonerguru
09-10-2020, 01:48 PM
Once again, you can't run from the fact that 80% of the covid deaths happen to people 65 or over. I can't help it society is not doing a good job of looking out for them or they're not always doing their part to protect themselves. I'm sorry if some people find that masking up or social distancing at home isn't acceptable. But if masks work, they will work whether at home or when out.

Interesting that in Minnesota the age group with the most deaths are in their 80s. Second greatest is in their 90s. More Minnesota people in their 100s died than in their 40s. They were done with grand parenting if in nursing homes. The expected life expectancy is 79. Probably Oklahoma isn't much different.

Only around 1.24% of deaths happen to those under 36. As time goes on with this new virus we'll get a better idea of how bad and lasting the after effects are that happen to some people.

Not running from any facts. Here are some more. More than 80% of people who contract it have no to mild symptoms. So what? How does that help the 20% for whom it is serious?

I'm also aware of the death rate, but as I have stated to you and others here repeatedly with absolutely no response, the severity of the virus is not wholly determined by who dies from it.

It's actually a bit onerous for you to suggest that grandparents raising kids in their home should wear masks all day at home. Does that seem logical? Also, there is eventually a limit to how prolonged exposure can be mitigated by masks.

There aren't enough cans of Lysol or anti-germ wipes available to realistically protect someone who is living in the same household, with prolonged exposure.

I'm not really understanding why you are choosing this hill to die on. Individual responsibility is certainly important, but public policy is more important. It is a lot easier to control what you can when policy partners with you, such as, not forcing children back into a high-risk environment for community spread for prolonged periods of time on a daily basis.

I will never understand the lengths that some go to on this forum to attempt to deflect, minimize, and even completely ignore what is commonly known at this point.

kukblue1
09-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Do remember that the last three days included rapid tests. Flat is good when you add a new class of results and it stays flat. I expected a much larger jump by adding them. And the metro areas that have mask mandates are dropping. Statewide we don’t have such mandates and I was in a handful of smaller towns Monday and didn’t see a mask anywhere.

We are currently 3rd in new cases per 1 million people. I just don't see how that is good any way you slice it.

jdizzle
09-10-2020, 03:01 PM
We are currently 3rd in new cases per 1 million people. I just don't see how that is good any way you slice it.

Well, we are including new testing that some states may not be including...I don't know if all states are using the rapid tests.

jdizzle
09-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Not running from any facts. Here are some more. More than 80% of people who contract it have no to mild symptoms. So what? How does that help the 20% for whom it is serious?

I'm also aware of the death rate, but as I have stated to you and others here repeatedly with absolutely no response, the severity of the virus is not wholly determined by who dies from it.

It's actually a bit onerous for you to suggest that grandparents raising kids in their home should wear masks all day at home. Does that seem logical? Also, there is eventually a limit to how prolonged exposure can be mitigated by masks.

There aren't enough cans of Lysol or anti-germ wipes available to realistically protect someone who is living in the same household, with prolonged exposure.

I'm not really understanding why you are choosing this hill to die on. Individual responsibility is certainly important, but public policy is more important. It is a lot easier to control what you can when policy partners with you, such as, not forcing children back into a high-risk environment for community spread for prolonged periods of time on a daily basis.

I will never understand the lengths that some go to on this forum to attempt to deflect, minimize, and even completely ignore what is commonly known at this point.

So what would you have us do? Just give us your plan to combat this going forward.

LocoAko
09-10-2020, 03:44 PM

There was no reason to expect a dramatic jump (although as I feared this change will be used to downplay our current numbers situation). This article about it states that there have been ~5,000 positive rapid test results that haven't been included up until now. Compare that to the nearly 67,000 positive test results we've had through the PCR testing and it was clear it was only going to be a small fraction of our new reported cases.

https://www.koco.com/article/osdh-includes-rapid-covid-19-test-results-in-state-data-for-first-time/33960521

LocoAko
09-10-2020, 03:47 PM

I don't think this is a fair comparison. There are a number of advantages private schools have in all of this. They have smaller class sizes. They (potentially) have more space to make smaller "pods". They may be less likely to have students who live in cramped, crowded living spaces at home. They have the money to buy expensive air filtration systems, purchase additional sanitation supplies, etc. My spouse's public school needed bell covers for instruments and is having to have parents sew thousands of them which takes a while. It's not just laziness or ignorant wishful thinking.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 05:03 PM
I just can’t live finding and dwelling on only the negative sides of things.

kukblue1
09-10-2020, 06:00 PM
I just can’t live finding and dwelling on only the negative sides of things.

I'm just tired of all the excuses. First it was not wearing mask. Well wearing them and sure they have gone down some but not a huge drop. Then it was kids going back to school. Now it's cause we are adding rapid test. SMH WE haven't had 3 days in a row in months with cases under 700 a day. People still are not getting it and still making excuses.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 06:21 PM
I'm just tired of all the excuses. First it was not wearing mask. Well wearing them and sure they have gone down some but not a huge drop. Then it was kids going back to school. Now it's cause we are adding rapid test. SMH WE haven't had 3 days in a row in months with cases under 700 a day. People still are not getting it and still making excuses.The virus is here and there are real reasons it spreads. If you’re not going to be at all happy until numbers drop drastically and not just moderate and you ignore any positives and just dwell on negatives then be prepared to be unhappy for months. Because that’s what we’re in for.

rwalker
09-10-2020, 06:40 PM
I'm just tired of all the excuses. First it was not wearing mask. Well wearing them and sure they have gone down some but not a huge drop. Then it was kids going back to school. Now it's cause we are adding rapid test. SMH WE haven't had 3 days in a row in months with cases under 700 a day. People still are not getting it and still making excuses.

In fairness, this isn’t an easy virus to contain. There were a lot of folks in this thread spiking the football when Europe contained the first wave, but that continent is now in the middle of a fairly significant 2nd wave, and there’s less political willingness to order new lockdowns. So I’d imagine they will continue to see increased case counts.

There’s only a small handful of countries that have dealt with it successfully and they are all (a) authoritarian; (b) island nations; (c) have recent experience with Viruses or (d) have some combination of the the above.

Just seems like Westernized Democracies aren’t designed to handle this type of threat. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoy a lot of freedoms they don’t have in Russia or China. But those freedoms can prove costly when dealing with a collective problem.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 07:02 PM
In fairness, this isn’t an easy virus to contain. There were a lot of folks in this thread spiking the football when Europe contained the first wave, but that continent is now in the middle of a fairly significant 2nd wave, and there’s less political willingness to order new lockdowns. So I’d imagine they will continue to see increased case counts.

There’s only a small handful of countries that have dealt with it successfully and they are all (a) authoritarian; (b) island nations; (c) have recent experience with Viruses or (d) have some combination of the the above.

Just seems like Westernized Democracies aren’t designed to handle this type of threat. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoy a lot of freedoms they don’t have in Russia or China. But those freedoms can prove costly when dealing with a collective problem.Very well said.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 07:10 PM
Oklahoma Source just posted the hospitalizations graph and the rolling average is also sloping down. It has been at about the same slope since late July.

d-usa
09-10-2020, 08:06 PM
That will be a graph that will be a bit harder to correlate now. We might have more “official” cases, but the new methodology won’t change the way hospitalizations are measured.

Bill Robertson
09-10-2020, 08:09 PM
That will be a graph that will be a bit harder to correlate now. We might have more “official” cases, but the new methodology won’t change the way hospitalizations are measured.
For at least a month it will be.

kukblue1
09-10-2020, 08:24 PM
The virus is here and there are real reasons it spreads. If you’re not going to be at all happy until numbers drop drastically and not just moderate and you ignore any positives and just dwell on negatives then be prepared to be unhappy for months. Because that’s what we’re in for.

You mean the New Normal which I got ripped apart for saying a month ago. Yeah go back and look.

Pete
09-11-2020, 05:33 AM

Just seems like Westernized Democracies aren’t designed to handle this type of threat. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoy a lot of freedoms they don’t have in Russia or China. But those freedoms can prove costly when dealing with a collective problem.

Nonsense from someone who has been banned twice and keeps re-registering under new names. Your IP is now blocked so hopefully we are finally rid of you.

Just repeating false propaganda and lies from politicians desperately trying to excuse their complete failure, and enabling them in the process.

To demonstrate the absurdity of this comparison, deaths yesterday:

U.S. 1,090

Then, the countries with the most deaths in Europe:
Spain 71
UK 14
France 19
Italy 10
Germany 9

And...
Canada 8

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 05:57 AM
You mean the New Normal which I got ripped apart for saying a month ago. Yeah go back and look.

No. I did not “rip” you for calling this a new normal. I agree with that completely! I “ripped” you for adding the last line “for a couple months”. This is going to be for MUCH longer than a couple months.

kukblue1
09-11-2020, 09:14 AM
No. I did not “rip” you for calling this a new normal. I agree with that completely! I “ripped” you for adding the last line “for a couple months”. This is going to be for MUCH longer than a couple months.

Fair enough. I was trying to be positive by saying a couple of months. Hopefully it will be if we get a treatment or vaccine.

Pete
09-11-2020, 10:11 AM
942 new cases today; 800 7-day rolling average.

12 additional deaths reported.

TheTravellers
09-11-2020, 10:44 AM
White House Coronavirus Task Force 9/6/20:

SUMMARY
• Oklahoma is in the red zone for cases, indicating more than 100 new cases per 100,000 population last week,with the 9th highest rate in the country. Oklahoma is in the red zone for test positivity, indicating a rate above 10%, with the 4th highest rate in the country....

RECOMMENDATIONS
• Bars must be closed, and indoor dining must be restricted to 50% of normal capacity in yellow zone and 25% of normal capacity in red zone counties and metro areas. Expand outdoor dining options....

And then there's this (from a NonDoc article):

"The Norman City Council voted 7-1 Tuesday night to allow bars, restaurants and outdoor patios to operate at 75 percent capacity on gamedays. " :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

jerrywall
09-11-2020, 10:51 AM

"The Norman City Council voted 7-1 Tuesday night to allow bars, restaurants and outdoor patios to operate at 75 percent capacity on gamedays. " :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

If we're gonna kill a dozen Oklahomans a day we might as well get our Irish nachos and bud light while we watch our sports out of it?

TheTravellers
09-11-2020, 10:53 AM
If we're gonna kill a dozen Oklahomans a day we might as well get our Irish nachos and bud light while we watch our sports out of it?

Irish nachos? I want to google it, but not really. :)

Pete
09-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Tulsa and OKC aren't following the White House guidelines, either.

Bars are still open and many are crowded, dining rooms operating at higher than 25% capacity, schools and churches excepted from masks, etc.

Tritoon
09-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Oklahoma state plans to collect but not publicly report school COVID cases

https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/oklahoma-state-plans-to-collect-but-not-publicly-report-school-covid-cases/

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – The Oklahoma Department of Education is working on a process for collecting information on COVID-19 cases inside schools, a system officials with the Oklahoma Department of Health said they will support but will not take the lead on. However, there are no plans by the state to make this information public.

Positive cases in classrooms are an unavoidable reality as in-person learning environments enter their second month. While some Oklahoma school districts inform the public of cases, others do not.

Several states have begun reporting the data through either the department of health or the department of education, including Arkansas, Colorado, and Tennessee.

Family physician and the Oklahoma Academy of Family Physicians Legislative Committee co-chair Dr. Steven Crawford said it is critical for people to know what’s happening in schools.

“Many people don’t believe that it was important for schools to take the extra precautions for masking, social distancing, or even having virtual classrooms because the incidence wasn’t known,” Crawford said. “We have unfortunately seen that the incidence has been rapidly increasing since schools have opened.”

According to data collected by KOSU, more than 200 Oklahoma school districts have already had outbreaks. A Department of Education survey revealed approximately a third of Oklahoma school districts have not instituted any mask policy.

“Children not only get infected, but they take their infection to their families and increase the risk of serious infection to their family,” Dr. Crawford said.

Officials with the OSDH re-interpreted Oklahoma state statute, and last week, school districts were alerted that they are now required to immediately report positive COVID-19 cases to the state.

A spokesperson with the OSDE said they are working together with the OSDH and school districts on a streamlined process to collect that information.

However, neither state department has plans to share that information publicly.

State Epidemiologist Jared Taylor said this is in part for privacy reasons.

“In some situations, when you get into small rural communities, you can be disclosing quite a bit with a relatively little amount of information,” Taylor said.

He said the people who need to know will know, including those who may have been in contact with the infected person, the school and local health officials.

“We’re committed to transparency and reporting at the community level, just not seeking to break that down into ever finer detail as far as where a particular case or outbreak may be occurring whether that involves an educational setting and so forth,” Taylor said.

TheTravellers
09-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Tulsa and OKC aren't following the White House guidelines, either.

Bars are still open and many are crowded, dining rooms operating at higher than 25% capacity, schools and churches excepted from masks, etc.

Yep, fully aware that pretty much nobody in a position of power is giving half a s**t about what we should be doing, it's full-steam ahead, damn the virus, party like it's 1999! :woowoo: :woowoo: Oklahoma sucks completely at doing the right thing, guess that's the "Oklahoma Standard" at work...

Pete
09-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Yep, fully aware that pretty much nobody in a position of power is giving half a s**t about what we should be doing, it's full-steam ahead, damn the virus, party like it's 1999! :woowoo: :woowoo: Oklahoma sucks completely at doing the right thing, guess that's the "Oklahoma Standard" at work...

When it comes to this issue, it's 99% political.

The only reason anyone even knows about these reports is that one of them was leaked after our governor chose to conceal them.

kukblue1
09-11-2020, 12:26 PM
I for one am starting to go stir crazy. We are both older and have some health issues. We haven't gone really anywhere in 6 months. We do have Jeff Duhman tickets but not sure about that many people. Going out to eat which we used to do 2 times a week still don't seem like a good ideal to us. That being said how are the casinos doing. We could go early middle of the week like noonish. Are they still limiting people. Are they clean. Is it easy to social distance. Thinking of going to Grand cause Grand Casino always seems roomie to me compared to the other ones. We been during the middle of the week before all this started and it's always seem pretty easy to stay 6 feet apart from others. Wondering if this still the case.

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 12:31 PM
I for one am starting to go stir crazy. We are both older and have some health issues. We haven't gone really anywhere in 6 months. We do have Jeff Duhman tickets but not sure about that many people. Going out to eat which we used to do 2 times a week still don't seem like a good ideal to us. That being said how are the casinos doing. We could go early middle of the week like noonish. Are they still limiting people. Are they clean. Is it easy to social distance. Thinking of going to Grand cause Grand Casino always seems roomie to me compared to the other ones. We been during the middle of the week before all this started and it's always seem pretty easy to stay 6 feet apart from others. Wondering if this still the case.The Grand and I think most of the other big casinos are only allowing every other machine to operate and are using plexiglass between them also. At least thats what the radio commercials say.

Pete
09-11-2020, 12:37 PM
I think the situation is taking it's toll on almost everyone.

I used to go out almost every evening. Now, I maybe go once a month.

And I saw a ton of live music and movies, and haven't been to either since March. Haven't left OKC in that time frame.

I did go to Up-Down on Friday night and was impressed -- they do a really good job across the board. But it's not much fun to go out when everyone is wearing masks and people are social distancing. Rather defeats the purpose of going out in the first place and just creates a weird vibe.

Really missing football this time of year and although I'll watch on TV, it's not nearly the same. Had to pass on my OU season tickets which I've had for years.

Fauci said today that we shouldn't expect normalcy to return before the end of 2021, at the earliest. The whole thing is just depressing.

Bill Robertson
09-11-2020, 12:37 PM

So as far as restaurants they’re still more strict than OKC since it has no restrictions. 75% for them VS 50% for bars in OKC but I can tell from the few popular bars I pass on the way home from work 50% is not being adhered to at all.