View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Installation Price

Bobby821
02-25-2020, 09:55 AM
I was quoted a price of 1300.00 to have my hot water tank replaced it is a 40 gallon gas water heater. The tank is in one of those small closets in a house built in the 60's. Does this seem like a good fair price to you guys who may have hired a plumber to change out your tank?

Roger S
02-25-2020, 10:00 AM
According to an article I read recently on this subject.... Yes, this is the average price to replace a tank... About twice this amount if you go tankless.

Bobby821
02-25-2020, 10:11 AM
According to an article I read recently on this subject.... Yes, this is the average price to replace a tank... About twice this amount if you go tankless.

Too many issues with the tankless models still to consider that as an option. So sticking with a regular tank style.

Martin
02-25-2020, 10:25 AM
i had one go out 6-7 years ago and that's around the total i paid for a 50 gallon tank... if i remember right, i had to have some water lines changed to a larger diameter due to updated codes and that was included in the cost.

Bobby821
02-25-2020, 10:39 AM
The plumber who is putting in the new tank is the same one who put the last tank in 9 yrs ago and we paid like 900-1000.00 for this one. I was just checking with others to make sure the price quoted was a fair resonable price they are going for today.

Swanky
02-25-2020, 11:19 AM
The plumber who is putting in the new tank is the same one who put the last tank in 9 yrs ago and we paid like 900-1000.00 for this one. I was just checking with others to make sure the price quoted was a fair resonable price they are going for today.

I don't think it's unreasonable - keep in mind that due to inflation, $1000 in 2001 is around $1400 today.

OKC Guy
02-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind labor is expensive.

On a good note advances in construction means you should get better efficiency and lower operating costs over time.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Don't overlook the opportunity to make this a DIY project. I did this very install myself 2-3 years ago, upgraded from a 40-gallon to 50-gallon tank, and my only cost was that for the new tank itself. Saved me a sizeable chunk of change!

baralheia
02-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Don't overlook the opportunity to make this a DIY project. I did this very install myself 2-3 years ago, upgraded from a 40-gallon to 50-gallon tank, and my only cost was that for the new tank itself. Saved me a sizeable chunk of change!

It is important to note that if you live within the city limits of OKC, DIY isn't really an option. OKC requires a permit for plumbing work, including water heater replacements - and they'll only issue a plumbing permit to "contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City."

This same restriction also applies to electrical and HVAC work as well.

For more info: https://www.okc.gov/i-want-to/advanced-components/list-detail-pages/faq-list#126_72_70_1195

Stew
02-25-2020, 11:57 AM
It is important to note that if you live within the city limits of OKC, DIY isn't really an option. OKC requires a permit for plumbing work, including water heater replacements - and they'll only issue a plumbing permit to "contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City."

For more info: https://www.okc.gov/i-want-to/advanced-components/list-detail-pages/faq-list#126_72_70_1195

I gotta imagine there's a lot of non-compliance with that ordinance.

BoulderSooner
02-25-2020, 12:04 PM

not sure how anyone would know if you replaced your water heater

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Well, if the city has nothing better to do than come after me three years after the fact, I guess there's nothing I can do to stop them. Frustrating thing is that many local installers still try to tell you that garage installations for gas heaters require an 18" elevation, which is no longer true with sealed-flame units. But so long as the city has a way to pad the pockets of the installers, that's all that really matters, I guess.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 12:07 PM

It would take some anal busybody to report you.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 12:10 PM
I gotta imagine there's a lot of non-compliance with that ordinance.

Amen.

kukblue1
02-25-2020, 12:16 PM
$1350 is what I paid a year ago.

baralheia
02-25-2020, 12:45 PM
It would take some anal busybody to report you.

You could run into problems down the road if you want to sell your property and your DIY work wasn't done properly to code. Depending on the buyer, you may need to hire a licensed plumber to correct your work and bring it up to code, or you may have to settle for less money so the buyer can fix it.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 12:54 PM
You could run into problems down the road if you want to sell your property and your DIY work wasn't done properly to code. Depending on the buyer, you may need to hire a licensed plumber to correct your work and bring it up to code, or you may have to settle for less money so the buyer can fix it.

After researching the relevant building codes before I undertook the project, I ultimately did my install *beyond* what code required. And I don't plan to sell for a looong time, so I'll not sweat it too much. In fact, after comparing my work to that of a "licensed" installer on behalf of a family member, my install ended up better than theirs. C'est la vie.

BoulderSooner
02-25-2020, 12:59 PM

replacing a water heater takes about 5 min and is very very hard to mess up

Thomas Vu
02-25-2020, 01:09 PM

Unnecessary confidence rising.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 02:06 PM

I will admit it did take me a *bit* longer because the garage "closet" where it is installed was kinda cramped and I had to have some assistance from my (strong) son to get the old one out. :) Also discovered a failed hot-cold valve in a bathroom outlet while it was draining, but that was (I think?) a $5 fix.

But once the new one was in place, it boiled down to four plumbing connectors, a few pieces of pipe for gas service along with some sealer/tape, and a new shutoff valve. Tested for gas leaks and even set up some CO monitors after I finished just to be sure LOL :)

It is VERY nice not to hear the family (translated: mostly my wife) complain about insufficient hot water LOL :)

Zuplar
02-25-2020, 02:08 PM
One comment on the permitting and whatnot, a few years ago I had a large metal building installed on my property. I had a company do it, so everything was permitted and done correctly, but when one of the inspectors came out he wrote me a small list of improvements on my property that apparently did not have permits with the city. I bought this property as a foreclosure, and all these improvements were done beforehand. The house isn't that old, so I wouldn't swear that outside of the new construction up till the point I had the building installed, that everything was original. I mentioned that to him he told me it didn't matter, they still needed a permit. I asked if that was going to affect me getting my inspection done he said no because it's not relevant. I moved on with my life because I thought this was ridiculously petty. Wasn't an issue when I bought the house, can't imagine it will be if I ever sell it. Not sure how they can request me to pay for a permit for construction I never did, but the city inspector acted like they could.

Couple that with the fact that he didn't even know basic facts about my house, (such as arguing with me about property size) I basically told him whatever he wanted to hear so he'd leave. You can talk to 3 different people in the permit/inspector department or whatever it is and get 3 completely different answers. It's a joke.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 02:24 PM
One comment on the permitting and whatnot, a few years ago I had a large metal building installed on my property. I had a company do it, so everything was permitted and done correctly, but when one of the inspectors came out he wrote me a small list of improvements on my property that apparently did not have permits with the city. I bought this property as a foreclosure, and all these improvements were done beforehand. The house isn't that old, so I wouldn't swear that outside of the new construction up till the point I had the building installed, that everything was original. I mentioned that to him he told me it didn't matter, they still needed a permit. I asked if that was going to affect me getting my inspection done he said no because it's not relevant. I moved on with my life because I thought this was ridiculously petty. Wasn't an issue when I bought the house, can't imagine it will be if I ever sell it. Not sure how they can request me to pay for a permit for construction I never did, but the city inspector acted like they could.

Couple that with the fact that he didn't even know basic facts about my house, (such as arguing with me about property size) I basically told him whatever he wanted to hear so he'd leave. You can talk to 3 different people in the permit/inspector department or whatever it is and get 3 completely different answers. It's a joke.

This. I was all paranoid about building a storage shed in our backyard; went through all the drawings and material sheets the city wanted, plat of the lot, the whole bit. When I went to get the permit, the clerk at the desk kinda laughed, and I said "what's wrong?" She said, "oh, nothing; you've just put a better package together than most architects do for houses." But I got my permit :)

When we built our home some 20+ years ago, it failed the final OKC occupancy inspection. Why? Because there was no handrail in the staircase going up to the attic . My wife and I went to the hardware store, bought about $20 of handrail and mounts, and put it in. When the "city inspector" came out, he didn't even look at it. Handed us the approval essentially at the front door. Total joke. Our builder told us it was routine with OKC "inspectors" to ALWAYS find "something" wrong. He built in OKC, Moore, and other areas and said OKC was the only one like that. He was an older fella (passed away just a few months after he finished our house), and kinda laughed the inspection issue off "yeah OKC inspections are kind of a joke, but I'm used to it. You just deal with it and move on."

emtefury
02-25-2020, 02:27 PM

This comments shows the other reason for permits. This is so the the county knows if you did property improvements to raise property taxes. He may have noted the improvements to provide to the assessor.

Bunty
02-25-2020, 04:18 PM
Does draining hot water heaters every year make them last longer? I never drained mine and it lasted 10 years.

OKC Guy
02-25-2020, 04:35 PM
Not sure but if the DIY tank explodes or catches house on fire and if insurance learned about it being done uncertified - would that caise issue with insurance paying out claims?

Quite a stretch and lots of ifs but its worth thinking about. Certified installers have insurance to cover incorrect work in case of future problems.

Dob Hooligan
02-25-2020, 05:12 PM

So, uh, how much are these savings? If a water tank is $400, update parts and materials are $50 and I have a place that will dispose of the old tank quickly and cheaply, then DIY is a possibility. If a tank is $800, parts & materials are $ 150 and I have to wait until big trash day in 60 days to get rid of the old unit, then paying $1400 for a professional and legal installation that is zero drag is not a bad deal, IMO.

baralheia
02-25-2020, 05:16 PM
Does draining hot water heaters every year make them last longer? I never drained mine and it lasted 10 years.

It definitely can! Regular maintenance - including flushing the tank and inspecting/replacing the anode rod - can significantly extend the lifespan of a water heater by minimizing hot spots and internal corrosion. It also helps maintain the efficiency of the heater, reducing sediment buildup that can interfere with the heat exchange process. Mine's about 23 years old now and it still works pretty well (though the thermostat in the gas control valve is going bad and needs to be replaced). It's probably finally time for a new water heater now. But yes, maintenance can help extend the lifespan.

SoonerDave
02-25-2020, 07:55 PM
So, uh, how much are these savings? If a water tank is $400, update parts and materials are $50 and I have a place that will dispose of the old tank quickly and cheaply, then DIY is a possibility. If a tank is $800, parts & materials are $ 150 and I have to wait until big trash day in 60 days to get rid of the old unit, then paying $1400 for a professional and legal installation that is zero drag is not a bad deal, IMO.

My total was a shade over $450 for a 50-gallon tank purchased from a reputable local supply house, not a Lowe's sale junker. My savings was just under $1,000. And I am 100% confident in my installation even though someone didn't drop a piece of paper on my head to say "professional." I read the codes, I know what I did, and three years later it's running beautifully.

You have your way, I have mine. In my book, I need that ~$1000 more than the "official" installers. If you're sufficiently flush with cash such that you won't miss $1k, power to you. With two kids in college, I'm not.

Dob Hooligan
02-26-2020, 04:47 AM
My total was a shade over $450 for a 50-gallon tank purchased from a reputable local supply house, not a Lowe's sale junker. My savings was just under $1,000. And I am 100% confident in my installation even though someone didn't drop a piece of paper on my head to say "professional." I read the codes, I know what I did, and three years later it's running beautifully.

You have your way, I have mine. In my book, I need that ~$1000 more than the "official" installers. If you're sufficiently flush with cash such that you won't miss $1k, power to you. With two kids in college, I'm not.

Yes, I am flush with cash. 40 years in the same blue collar job and frugal parents have blessed me. It has also left me with a broken down body that can’t paint a car hood or push one more than 2 steps.

Until I turned 50 I would have tried any project myself. Intelligence, ability and financial need made them more attractive then. Just can’t do it now.

SoonerDave
02-26-2020, 06:39 AM
Yes, I am flush with cash. 40 years in the same blue collar job and frugal parents have blessed me. It has also left me with a broken down body that can’t paint a car hood or push one more than 2 steps.

Until I turned 50 I would have tried any project myself. Intelligence, ability and financial need made them more attractive then. Just can’t do it now.

Hey I understand that completely. My comment was no knock on anyone who has to go the pro install route for reasons like yours. I grew up in a family of gifted DIY types, uncles who could fix anything, and I guess I caught a small fraction of their "how-to" chutzpah. We all have to do what's best for our own circumstances. Take care.

MadMonk
02-26-2020, 10:48 AM
If you go to sell your home, they may want to see the inspection sticker of that water heater. Hard to get it inspected without records of the licensed plumber who installed it.

I lived in Canadian county and did the job myself a few years ago. When I went to sell the home, the buyer's inspector noticed it was missing an inspection sticker, so I had the inspector come out. Luckily, I wasn't required to have it done by a licensed plumber, but I did have to re-do a few things to bring it up to code.

I had a 50-gal tank replaced last year for right around $1,300 (including the tank) by a plumber I've used and trusted for years. Sounds about average.