View Full Version : OKCars Online (OTC Tag Renewal System)

jerrywall
01-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Oklahoma supposedly has an online tag renewal system. I say supposedly because I've never seen it work properly. I've managed to get one plate renewed successfully online in the past, but for the past couple of years or so it's no longer been functioning for me. It always fails with the insurance verification, which tells me that there's some connectivity issues involved. It may even be the fault of my insurance provider (State Farm).

However, I don't know if that's the case, because there's no help available when there are issues! No contact information in regards to the site, no feedback forms, no support whatsoever. I called in the Oklahoma Tax Commission to see if there was some contact for the web site. I got nowhere.

So we have this state funded and maintained site which the state won't provide support for, and has no system in place for user support issues or accessibility issues. #winning!

Am I alone in this problem? Anyone have any suggestions (on either getting it to work or on who to contact)? Going to a tag agency to renew my tag is a real PITA, especially since I don't keep physical copies of my insurance verification any longer, nor do I have a printer (because it's not 1995 and I have no kids at home). It would be great if I could make use of this tool, since I figure I'm helping to pay for it as a taxpayer anyways.

TheTravellers
01-09-2020, 10:26 AM
When I was going to try it, I found out about the extra charges they have for using it, and said screw it and just renewed by mail. However, I do have physical copies of my insurance verification mailed to me by State Farm, so renewal by mail is easy.

Richard at Remax
01-09-2020, 10:27 AM
I have amnesia every year because I always get happy that I can renew online. Then I get mad when they tack on service charges and just go to tag agency.

jerrywall
01-09-2020, 10:29 AM
When I was going to try it, I found out about the extra charges they have for using it, and said screw it and just renewed by mail. However, I do have physical copies of my insurance verification mailed to me by State Farm, so renewal by mail is easy.

Yeah, I went full paperless a few years back, and try to avoid getting anything physical in the mail I can avoid, but I'll be stepping back on this one and having them sent to me automatically. It's just a shame I can't use this online tool.

jerrywall
01-09-2020, 10:30 AM
I have amnesia every year because I always get happy that I can renew online. Then I get mad when they tack on service charges and just go to tag agency.

I can't even remember what the charges are, since I can never get that far. How bad are they?

Bullbear
01-09-2020, 10:40 AM
I've used it consistently for several years without any issues. when I first used it when I had my truck i discovered my insurance company transposed the numbers on my VIN and that caused it to not work but once that was fixed it's been smooth sailing. I gladly pay the fees rather than go to Tag Agency stand in line and deal with unhappy people

TheTravellers
01-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Classen Tag Agency hardly ever has any lines and very few unhappy people when we've gone. But it's not a binary choice between online and tag agency in person, just renew by mail.

As far as fees, I think it was something like $3-4 extra per tag, which I believe is in addition to a credit card fee and when a tag is only $30 or so, that's ridiculous. Bullbear can probably give more exact info since he's been actually using it.

FighttheGoodFight
01-09-2020, 11:49 AM
The fees are kind of annoying for sure. That being said I went into a tag agency for one of my plates to be renewed and they also charged a fee for mail. That just confuses me.

5alive
01-09-2020, 11:54 AM
I have used it since it became available ...no problems ...can't remember the fees but I am usually sensitive to that kind of thing so it must not be outrageous

kukblue1
01-09-2020, 12:09 PM
$4.05 fee on my $89 licence plate renewal

TheTravellers
01-09-2020, 12:21 PM
I was annoyed at the mailing fee too, but realized that it's the fee to mail out the new registration and decal, not for handling mailed-in renewals.

And jerry - how are you quoting? It appears JavaScript is still turned off because I can't quote on 3 different browsers on one Win7 computer and 2 different browsers on another Win10 computer.

jerrywall
01-09-2020, 12:35 PM
And jerry - how are you quoting? It appears JavaScript is still turned off because I can't quote on 3 different browsers on one Win7 computer and 2 different browsers on another Win10 computer.

Maybe because I'm on mobile? Otherwise, it might be that I have some site files cached that are pulling in the javascript...

Mel
01-09-2020, 12:38 PM
I did not know about this service. Thank you OKC Talk. I'd much rather use this than go to the Mustang Tag Agency. They are not hearing impaired friendly.

baralheia
01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
I did not know about this service. Thank you OKC Talk. I'd much rather use this than go to the Mustang Tag Agency. They are not hearing impaired friendly.

Yep, OkCARS is pretty easy to use... I've used it a few times. https://okcars.tax.ok.gov

jerrywall
01-10-2020, 07:30 AM
I've used it consistently for several years without any issues. when I first used it when I had my truck i discovered my insurance company transposed the numbers on my VIN and that caused it to not work but once that was fixed it's been smooth sailing. I gladly pay the fees rather than go to Tag Agency stand in line and deal with unhappy people

And once again Okctalk.com is much more helpful than what I can get from the state or whomever maintains the system. I went and double checked this and found out that state farm had the vin messed up on 2 of my vehicles. They just happen to be the 2 I've tried to register online repeatedly over the past couple of years. Thanks!

AP
01-10-2020, 08:18 AM
Jerry, you're throwing me off with your new pic. I generally recognize posters on here not by looking at names, but by pics. It always takes me a minute to reregister posters pics. haha

shawnw
01-11-2020, 12:57 AM
Put me on the list of users from the beginning without issue.

bombermwc
01-14-2020, 07:45 AM
I use it every time because paying the extra little fee is worth it to me to not try and figure out how to get to a tag agency saturday morning before they close with all the normal saturday morning activities. And i dont have to stand in line and wait to talk to some grumpy person.

Bullbear
01-14-2020, 08:02 AM
another thing I like.. is if you have a favorite tag agency.. or know someone who owns one. you can choose that agency to process the tag to give them business.

TheTravellers
01-14-2020, 09:08 AM
I use it every time because paying the extra little fee is worth it to me to not try and figure out how to get to a tag agency saturday morning before they close with all the normal saturday morning activities. And i dont have to stand in line and wait to talk to some grumpy person.

Mail it in instead, your fee to do so is a stamp (unless you're paperless like jerry).

jerrywall
01-16-2020, 12:54 PM
another thing I like.. is if you have a favorite tag agency.. or know someone who owns one. you can choose that agency to process the tag to give them business.

It's not just about giving them business. From what I understand the tag agency selection you use directly affects where funds from your fees go.

*edit - never mind. Evidently this is no longer the case (it now all goes into a general fund and then apportioned to school districts using other criteria)