View Full Version : Pier 1

Bunty
01-06-2020, 07:27 PM
Pier 1 in Stillwater is closing. I don't know of other Oklahoma stores closing.
https://www.furnituretoday.com/industry-news/pier-1-to-close-up-to-450-stores/

Pete
01-07-2020, 05:21 AM
Store across from Penn Square Mall on Penn:

https://i.imgur.com/ZnWrHYa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MQAbtb8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jrpZXXn.jpg

Pete
02-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Today, Pier 1 filed for bankruptcy:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/business/pier-one-bankruptcy/index.html

poe
05-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Looks like Pier 1 is closing all stores for good.

Pete
05-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Looks like Pier 1 is closing all stores for good.

That sucks as I really like a lot of their housewares.

Everyone seems worried about restaurants, hotels, and airlines but it seems retail is where there will be many ruined companies.

poe
05-19-2020, 02:46 PM
That sucks as I really like a lot of their housewares.

Everyone seems worried about restaurants, hotels, and airlines but it seems retail is where there will be many ruined companies.

Agree. Most everything I’ve bought at Pier 1 has lasted and is good quality. It’s really unprecedented to see so many industries and people affected.

jbkrems
05-19-2020, 04:43 PM
Well, once they start their Liquidation Sales everyone will be able to go and get some very good deals.

Brad72
05-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Time to stock up on our dish and glassware since most of it came from there.

Jersey Boss
05-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Pier One Stores have not reopened yet. At least not the one in Norman.

kukblue1
05-21-2020, 02:57 PM
Well, once they start their Liquidation Sales everyone will be able to go and get some very good deals.

No. I went to the one in Wichita Falls when it was all 60% off. That stuff was so marked up it wasn't a deal at all. You might think your getting a deal but NO.

Bill Robertson
05-21-2020, 06:28 PM
I have to admit that I didn’t know Pier 1 even still existed. I thought they went away about the time of Sharper Image. It just wasn’t my style. I’m a man of very simple, bland tastes of things decor.

CCOKC
05-22-2020, 08:59 AM
I got an email from Pier One yesterday saying the 3 metro stores are reopening today. I too have bought many things from Pier One especially since moving to my apartment 3 years ago. When the Penn Square store closed earlier this year I bought an entire year's worth of candles for practically nothing. I loved popping in that store on Sundays and looking at the sale items.

Pete
05-22-2020, 09:01 AM
I'm going to miss it.

I have tons of their glassware and a bunch of their Christmas stuff as well.

Pete
05-22-2020, 11:23 AM
BTW, Cost Plus Imports is quite similar but larger and also carries some food options.

Would sure like them to do at least one more store in the area in addition to their Norman location.

WenDragon
05-22-2020, 12:39 PM
agreed. Now to get an IKEA here.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-22-2020, 01:53 PM
BTW, Cost Plus Imports is quite similar but larger and also carries some food options.

Would sure like them to do at least one more store in the area in addition to their Norman location.
Cost Plus World Market reminds me of the old Pier 1. No one remembers that they used to sell hippy style clothes, kind of BoHo patchouli style. This was back in the 80s. Then they went into home furnishings hard.
The Cost Plus World Market in Bellevue Washington is great. Double salt swedish licorice coins. Lots of good teas and euro spices. I would love one in OKC.

Pete
05-22-2020, 01:54 PM
What I remember about the old Pier 1 was wicker.

Lots and lots and lots of wicker.

Edmond Hausfrau
05-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Yes! And fringe shawls and paper lanterns...

Pete
05-22-2020, 01:58 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/pier1052220a.jpg

Pete
09-22-2021, 06:12 AM
The old Pier 1 across from Penn Square will become a Dollar Tree.

shawnw
09-22-2021, 07:17 AM
more top tier retail for the area

DoctorTaco
09-22-2021, 08:46 AM
more top tier retail for the area

yikes!

Colbafone
09-22-2021, 09:13 AM
The old Pier 1 across from Penn Square will become a Dollar Tree.

I can't stop laughing at this. What an absolute failure.

Rover
09-22-2021, 09:20 AM
I can't stop laughing at this. What an absolute failure.

Failure by who? Is this just a NIMBY response? Not like they are building a tin building there.... the building is already there.

Is "diversity" in urban development just a word we like to use? Seems to me this serves a lot of people who are equidistant as Nichols Hills from this.

Colbafone
09-22-2021, 09:47 AM
There's already a Dollar Tree on 63rd and May and another on 23rd and Penn. There's no need for one here. And those other two fit better within their confines. This building, being standalone, I feel like it has a lot more potential than just a Dollar Tree. I feel like this is just Gamble accepting the first thing he could get, after it sat vacant for the past year or so.

shawnw
09-22-2021, 11:19 AM

On the plus side, get your diamonds and your deals in one stop

onthestrip
09-22-2021, 11:49 AM
There's already a Dollar Tree on 63rd and May and another on 23rd and Penn. There's no need for one here. And those other two fit better within their confines. This building, being standalone, I feel like it has a lot more potential than just a Dollar Tree. I feel like this is just Gamble accepting the first thing he could get, after it sat vacant for the past year or so.

Of course this is a bit disappointing because it isnt something new and sexy, especially considering its across from our premier mall, but who are you to say there is no need for one here? This could be the best performing store compared to the other two nearby Dollar Trees you mentioned. Long story short, let the market work it out because your sole opinion doesnt mean much at all.

This is like Edmond NIMBYs fighting a proposed fast food place saying Edmond doesnt need anymore fast food places and then when it opens it has a line around the building at lunch and dinner.

Rover
09-22-2021, 03:09 PM

Or they took what they could get unless they wanted it to sit empty and keep costing them money, or at least a loss of potential income.

Obviously DT thinks they can get plenty of traffic at this store.

Rover
09-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Of course this is a bit disappointing because it isnt something new and sexy, especially considering its across from our premier mall, but who are you to say there is no need for one here? This could be the best performing store compared to the other two nearby Dollar Trees you mentioned. Long story short, let the market work it out because your sole opinion doesnt mean much at all.

This is like Edmond NIMBYs fighting a proposed fast food place saying Edmond doesnt need anymore fast food places and then when it opens it has a line around the building at lunch and dinner.

Or tattoo parlors in MidTown.

Dob Hooligan
09-10-2022, 01:01 PM
Almost a year later and I noticed within the last couple weeks a tractor-trailer backed up the south side of the building being unloaded. Now there are cars in front daily. Still a "For Lease" banner on the same south side, however.

Dob Hooligan
09-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Just drove by and they have temporary banners for “Spirit Halloween”.

Teo9969
09-11-2022, 06:28 AM
Did OKCTalk shut the Dollar Tree down????

Really though, about 10 years from now, I'd love to see the people at Oak get ahold of all the retail land on this plot between Expressway and Belleview and incorporate it into what they're doing now, the more temporary the tenant, the better.