View Full Version : Phasing out natural gas?

bucktalk
11-12-2019, 07:42 AM
I read where a few cities in California are phasing out the use of natural gas in new construction. Apparently its an attempt help solve global warming issues.
I wonder: could this be a trend? If so, how long before it would impact O&G in Oklahoma?

RedDollar
11-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Its a PR stunt. Its easy for them to not need NG . They don't use very much now due to their mild climate.

And they don't use NG due to problems quakes cause NG pipelines.

San Diego has 70 degree weather, every day of the year.

They're also phasing out their nuclear generation .......... and they're headed for all kinds of problems betting on technology to solve the problems with renewables. I wish them luck.

And note, that they have forced black outs now.

jedicurt
11-12-2019, 08:18 AM
I read where a few cities in California are phasing out the use of natural gas in new construction. Apparently its an attempt help solve global warming issues.
I wonder: could this be a trend? If so, how long before it would impact O&G in Oklahoma?

well, some are selling it as helping to solve global warming, but the original recommendations came from Emergency Management firms that state that being able to completely eliminate gas lines to homes in a place that sees frequent fires and earthquakes is best for public safety and emergency crews.

i think it really started to gain steam from that community after the San Bruno PG&E pipeline explosion in 2010.

Martin
11-12-2019, 09:35 AM
cities in oklahoma should likewise phase out oil boilers in new construction!

PhiAlpha
11-14-2019, 07:50 PM
I read where a few cities in California are phasing out the use of natural gas in new construction. Apparently its an attempt help solve global warming issues. I wonder: could this be a trend? If so, how long before it would impact O&G in Oklahoma?It’s a funny premise. Phase out gas burners in a state that has a ton of electrical generation issues. Good luck cooking food during those rolling blackouts! Not to mention the obvious fact that no one mentions where the power needed to operate those electric stoves comes from... I guess if the power goes out, they can always use a gas powered backup generator...