View Full Version : Great Clips

Tydude
10-05-2019, 10:18 AM
It looks like Great Clips is going to open a new location in the Nichols Hills Plaza area. They have multiple stores across the city.

Colbafone
10-07-2019, 08:17 AM
I've got CHILLS. I'm so excited to try this place out.

CloudDeckMedia
10-07-2019, 09:42 AM
What differentiates them from any other national chain barber/hair salon? The main page on their website doesn't look upscale at all. Why Nichols Hills Plaza? https://www.greatclips.com/

sooner88
10-07-2019, 09:50 AM
What differentiates them from any other national chain barber/hair salon? The main page on their website doesn't look upscale at all. Why Nichols Hills Plaza? https://www.greatclips.com/

That doesn't make much sense... they're the equivalent of a SuperCuts - not a NHP level tenant in my opinion.

Jeepnokc
10-07-2019, 10:55 AM

I took the response as sarcasm because really....excited about Great Clips? It is just a newer version of Supercuts.

Rover
10-07-2019, 03:52 PM
That doesn't make much sense... they're the equivalent of a SuperCuts - not a NHP level tenant in my opinion.

Some would argue that Trader Joe's isn't "NHP level" either. Everyone who is around 63rd and Western isn't wealthy or high-brow. Lots of regular Joes in the area. Lots of employees of Chesapeake who might be customers.

thunderbird
10-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Some would argue that Trader Joe's isn't "NHP level" either. Everyone who is around 63rd and Western isn't wealthy or high-brow. Lots of regular Joes in the area. Lots of employees of Chesapeake who might be customers.

Ain’t nobody workin at CHK going to great clips.

Bunty
10-07-2019, 11:02 PM
I've got CHILLS. I'm so excited to try this place out.

Yeah, Stillwater loves Great Clips so much that there are now two of them.

BBatesokc
10-08-2019, 03:50 AM
Cuz nothing say's "I finally made it" like getting a $50 plus tip man's haircut, when plenty of Great Clips people can do the same thing for a $6.99 coupon.

Rover
10-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Ain’t nobody workin at CHK going to great clips.
You’ll be surprised. The stereotyping is just silly.

Jeepnokc
10-08-2019, 07:12 AM
The problem with Great Clips, supercuts, sportsclips, etc is that you may never have the same cutter and some are fresh out of school. I'll stick to my $5 (plus $10 tip) haircut from Capital Hill Barbers where I get the same consistent guy everytime.

jn1780
10-08-2019, 08:11 AM
The problem with Great Clips, supercuts, sportsclips, etc is that you may never have the same cutter and some are fresh out of school. I'll stick to my $5 (plus $10 tip) haircut from Capital Hill Barbers where I get the same consistent guy everytime.

That's great that you have a Barber. Don't find many of those anymore.

For men's haircut, the above mentioned are convenient and satisfactory for most men. Heck, I have been getting the same style of haircut for the past 15+ years. If the stylist doesn't know how to properly use an electric clipper with guard then they probably shouldn't have passed school.

Jersey Boss
10-08-2019, 08:47 AM

FYI, at Great Clips you can request any stylist when you get to the shop. Only downside is you may have to wait longer than a customer who does not. If you have a fav they will let you know their schedule.

BBatesokc
10-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Been using the same stylist for years. First at Super Cuts and then followed her to Great Clips. I check in with the app and when I show up I never wait more than maybe 10 minutes. Load up on the $9.99 gift card in November and supplement with $6.99 coupons/sales throughout the year. A cheap good haircut.

CloudDeckMedia
10-08-2019, 12:26 PM
FYI, at Great Clips you can request any stylist when you get to the shop. Only downside is you may have to wait longer than a customer who does not. If you have a fav they will let you know their schedule.

Why wouldn’t you schedule your next appointment with your stylist as you leave your current appointment?

BBatesokc
10-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Why wouldn’t you schedule your next appointment with your stylist as you leave your current appointment?

It's been my experience you can't schedule like that with places like Great Clips. They are not set up for that, the employees have no idea what shifts they will be working and it's first come first served (app reservations taking priority)

I personally don't want to schedule a date/time 4-6 weeks out. I have no idea what I'll be doing that far out.

Jeepnokc
10-08-2019, 07:00 PM

My experience with great clips and similar stores is that the staff turns over every six months of so I still go to them if I can't make it in to my regular guy but I know it is hit and miss. Fortunately, my hair grows back quick.

catch22
10-08-2019, 09:14 PM
I use these chain places because I get my haircut buzzed, so having the same stylist doesn’t matter one bit to me. If you can place a #4 guard on a pair of clippers and run it all over my head without removing an ear you can do my hair.

I certainly understand if you have a specific style you like how it would be nice to have the same person every time.

I use whichever place sends me a coupon. I also wear a hat 95% of the time, so in the offchance the person screws up my hair I don’t care and no one will notice anyway.

BBatesokc
10-09-2019, 04:45 AM
My experience with great clips and similar stores is that the staff turns over every six months of so I still go to them if I can't make it in to my regular guy but I know it is hit and miss. Fortunately, my hair grows back quick.

The lady i use has been at two different Super Cuts and two different Great Clips. A stylist that is simply moving locations (and not changing careers) would surely notify her regular customers, wouldn't they?

Jeepnokc
10-09-2019, 05:04 AM
The lady i use has been at two different Super Cuts and two different Great Clips. A stylist that is simply moving locations (and not changing careers) would surely notify her regular customers, wouldn't they?

Your experience is different than mine. Both are valid opinions based on our own experiences. Neither of us are wrong because it is based on our personal experiences so not sure why we need to argue it.

BBatesokc
10-09-2019, 05:35 AM
Your experience is different than mine. Both are valid opinions based on our own experiences. Neither of us are wrong because it is based on our personal experiences so not sure why we need to argue it.

Didn't realize we were 'arguing.' I thought discussion boards were for 'discussing.'

Colbafone
10-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Any updates on this Great Clips? I am VERY excited for this to open up!

cappa
10-16-2019, 06:36 AM
I use these chain places because I get my haircut buzzed, so having the same stylist doesn’t matter one bit to me. If you can place a #4 guard on a pair of clippers and run it all over my head without removing an ear you can do my hair.

I certainly understand if you have a specific style you like how it would be nice to have the same person every time.

I use whichever place sends me a coupon. I also wear a hat 95% of the time, so in the offchance the person screws up my hair I don’t care and no one will notice anyway.

I'd definitely recommend you get yourself some $20 Whal clippers and do it yourself, especially if you just do a #4 all over. The guards make it pretty foolproof, and if you've got somebody to help with trimming the neckline that's even easier. I've buzzed my own hair about once a week or so for the last 10 years. The money saved!!

soonermike81
10-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Any updates on this Great Clips? I am VERY excited for this to open up!

Why do you have such a hard on about this?

AP
10-16-2019, 08:28 AM
^^I've been wondering the same thing. I don't understand the bit, and it's getting pretty annoying, to be frank.

Colbafone
10-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Why do you have such a hard on about this?

You know the old saying "1 step forward, two steps back"?

Our city hangs it's hat on that. Maybe more like, 2 steps forward and 1.5 back.

Great Clips is a joke. In absolute no scenario can someone justify to me why a freaking Great Clips should be anywhere around Nichols Hills Plaza or Classen Curve. It's just not the type of place with which an area that's really trying to establish itself opens up. And they've done a great job outside of this.

Now, if this was a really neat, maybe more local, unique barber shop, that mught be different. But I just don't see the residents in this area getting very excited about this. It's the epitome of lackluster.

And it's something that every square inch of this city suffers from. We can and need to do better, but it seems we think that ANY infill is good infill.

So to deal with it, I joke about it. Because that's what putting a Great Clips here is. A joke.

CloudDeckMedia
10-16-2019, 10:28 AM
@tydude is the OP saying that they're coming to NH Plaza. Is there any information to support that?

T. Jamison
10-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Seems legit.

Jersey Boss
10-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Market forces will dictate whether or not this business will succeed. Stay tuned

T. Jamison
10-16-2019, 11:26 AM
^^^^^

CloudDeckMedia
10-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Seems legit.

Thanks for the screenshot. 1125 NW 63rd is the now-former Slapfish address. If so, this is a very, very quick pivot for this address.

Pete posted that Slapfish closed on Sunday, September 15. Tydude opened this thread less than three weeks later on Saturday, October 5.

Don't give up your current barber yet. This will take a while to remove the existing FFE, obtain plans & permits, reconfigure the space, install signage, etc.

TheTravellers
10-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Wow, the wasted money spent on putting in all the restaurant equipment/kitchen, then a few months later tearing it all out again....

Bunty
10-16-2019, 08:43 PM
You know the old saying "1 step forward, two steps back"?

Our city hangs it's hat on that. Maybe more like, 2 steps forward and 1.5 back.

Great Clips is a joke. In absolute no scenario can someone justify to me why a freaking Great Clips should be anywhere around Nichols Hills Plaza or Classen Curve. It's just not the type of place with which an area that's really trying to establish itself opens up. And they've done a great job outside of this.

It will look so tacky if they put out their curb signs that say haircuts for $6.99.

CloudDeckMedia
10-17-2019, 06:13 AM
It will look so tacky if they put out their curb signs that say haircuts for $6.99.

...right next to the Starbucks sign that says, “Coffee for $6.99.”

Rover
10-17-2019, 07:54 AM
I can’t believe how bent out of shape people on this board are about an affordable hair cut in Nichols Hills. Lol

Colbafone
10-17-2019, 09:47 AM
I can’t believe how bent out of shape people on this board are about an affordable hair cut in Nichols Hills. Lol

Dude, come on now. Is it really a big deal? No. It's really not. But it's a lame acquisitions for this area. This area is supposed to be attracting a bunch of new retailers and developments and hotels and restaurants. Which has been done pretty well, I'd say.

A Great Clips ain't it man.

Rover
10-17-2019, 10:51 AM
People made fun of Heritage Hills people not wanting tattoo parlors or plasma clinics. I find it hilarious the level of concern over an affordable hair shop.... like it’s either beneath the area or will kill development. Guess it’s a slow month around here.

CloudDeckMedia
10-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Rover, it's about maintaining a consistent tenant mix in a retail center. With few exceptions, Nichols Hills Plaza has premium quality, independently-owned retailers. The two most recent are Balliett's moving from Classen Curve, and Valerie Naifeh's jewelry store from Casady Square.

Notwithstanding that this location is on the Great Clips website, I find two things that make me think this isn't real: 1) The next tenant in this location is months away from opening, after an FED, redoing FFE, new TI, etc.; and 2) There's already a barber shop in Nichols Hills Plaza - the locally-owned Nichols Hills Plaza Style Shop at 6484 Avondale Drive.

Rover
10-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Yes, I understand retail leasing, brand value, etc., etc. I just think it's funny it has raised so much dander. By the way, there's a clinic also in the center on 63rd street. They have sick people there. This isn't a medical center and all Nichols Hills residents have 24 hr concierge doctors on call anyway. This is a bad look for the NHP branding. We should be concerned.

This is especially funny considering it may not even happen. People get worked up over the darndest things.

Rover
10-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Rover, it's about maintaining a consistent tenant mix in a retail center. With few exceptions, Nichols Hills Plaza has premium quality, independently-owned retailers.

Notwithstanding that this location is on the Great Clips website, I find two things that make me think this isn't real: 1) The next tenant in this location is months away from opening, after an FED, redoing FFE, new TI, etc.; and 2) There's already a barber shop in Nichols Hills Plaza - the locally-owned Nichols Hills Plaza Style Shop at 6484 Avondale Drive.

Oh, someone should notify Trader Joes they don't fit. They aren't independently owned and they aren't really premium, just cool...so acceptable. And there is a Hollywood pet food store. And Starbucks. And Hopdoddy. All right there. None are independently owned or local and hardly upscale (Though Hopdoddy's is expensive).

IF this happens, it would also be in the mini-strips facing 63rd St., a rather busy and common street for travel, and not really "in" NHP, per se.

T. Jamison
10-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Rover, it's about maintaining a consistent tenant mix in a retail center. With few exceptions, Nichols Hills Plaza has premium quality, independently-owned retailers. The two most recent are Balliett's moving from Classen Curve, and Valerie Naifeh's jewelry store from Casady Square.

It is also on the NHP, Classen Curve / Triangle website.

CloudDeckMedia
10-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Oh, someone should notify Trader Joes they don't fit. They aren't independently owned and they aren't really premium, just cool...so acceptable. And there is a Hollywood pet food store. And Starbucks. And Hopdoddy. All right there. None are independently owned or local and hardly upscale (Though Hopdoddy's is expensive).

IF this happens, it would also be in the mini-strips facing 63rd St., a rather busy and common street for travel, and not really "in" NHP, per se.

Stop being a troll. I said "with few exceptions." You read that, didn't you?

AP
10-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Lmao, he has been this way since I first joined the forum. He won't change now.

Rover
10-17-2019, 03:52 PM
You can call it trolling if you want, but there are assertions being made here regarding the content of NHP which are not accurate. The "controversy" over a haircut place being part of the makeup of the plaza is silly and overblown. So far, the 63rd street facing businesses are not independent, local, or necessarily upscale. To act like adding another chain to the mix is unusual is not accurate. If pointing that out makes someone upset or emotional, than I guess half of the posts on this site are from trolls. This whole discussion started because some couldn't believe an affordable haircut chain had a place in the neighborhood or at NHP. I started my discussion points by pointing out that there are many potential clients in the area or who might go by. The location is on a very busy street that serves many who might be potential clients. There are two mini-strips that sandwich a Starbucks and front 63rd. This is not wedged in between some boutiques or quaint upscale women's shops. Slapfish was not upscale in the least. Starbucks is common. A store-front clinic isn't upscale or trendy. THIS is the surroundings.

It's funny how some can be called trolls because they push back at some notion someone has, but the original notion, no matter how off it is, is deemed just good conversation. I guess the safe thing to do is not question someone's OPINION. Then they won't be offended or emotional. If you don't want anyone to disagree with you, don't post. Go to your friends who will all agree and call you smart.

chuck5815
10-17-2019, 04:03 PM

I would assume you are being overly protective of NHP because you took a few aerials of it, aren't you?

It will be okay if the developers allow a location or two that services the needs of the Common Man.

Colbafone
10-17-2019, 04:23 PM
I'm sure Great Clips is a fantastic business. Thats fine. Yay.

Forget the demographic location of NHP and Classen Curve. I'm not factoring that in at all. I don't care about that.

What I do care about is the ownership of these two developments trying to create a unique shopping/living/recreational area in the metro. I get it, they have a vacancy. They have someone interested in said vacancy. It's a done deal.

That doesn't alter the fact that a Great Clips is a lousy choice for this. Great Clips doesn't fit any previous real or seemed criteria for this. It's just a lazy acquisition for this group. You're telling me, in that area, they can't find something else to fill that spot? They just moved Balliet's, Naifeh, and BC Clark's here, but they're going to settle in a Great Clips? Idk. It's just super underwhelming.

All that to say, it totally doesn't matter. They aren't going to be any more or less successful because of Great Clips. They and the GREAT Clips will do just fine. But I'm still going to voice my opinion on a lousy fit here.

Rover
10-17-2019, 05:04 PM
If this was actually in the plaza where Naifeh, BC Clark’s, or Balliets is, I might agree.

baralheia
10-17-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm sure Great Clips is a fantastic business. Thats fine. Yay.

Forget the demographic location of NHP and Classen Curve. I'm not factoring that in at all. I don't care about that.

What I do care about is the ownership of these two developments trying to create a unique shopping/living/recreational area in the metro. I get it, they have a vacancy. They have someone interested in said vacancy. It's a done deal.

That doesn't alter the fact that a Great Clips is a lousy choice for this. Great Clips doesn't fit any previous real or seemed criteria for this. It's just a lazy acquisition for this group. You're telling me, in that area, they can't find something else to fill that spot? They just moved Balliet's, Naifeh, and BC Clark's here, but they're going to settle in a Great Clips? Idk. It's just super underwhelming.

All that to say, it totally doesn't matter. They aren't going to be any more or less successful because of Great Clips. They and the GREAT Clips will do just fine. But I'm still going to voice my opinion on a lousy fit here.

While I agree that Great Clips is a "meh" tenant for NHP, an important thing to consider is having a good mix of tenants is essential. TJ's and Great Clips (among others), while not exciting, pull people into that shopping center that might not otherwise have a reason to visit, and that increased traffic helps all of the tenants. Just food for thought.

TheTravellers
10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
... TJ's and Great Clips (among others), while not exciting, pull people into that shopping center that might not otherwise have a reason to visit, and that increased traffic helps all of the tenants. Just food for thought.

Might be true for TJ's, but wondering if that's true for the strip facing 63rd - do people go from there back into NHP or do they just drive in, do their thing at *$, Hopdoddy, etc., and drive off or do they drive or walk back into NHP before/after their burger, coffee, etc.?

Rover
10-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Might be true for TJ's, but wondering if that's true for the strip facing 63rd - do people go from there back into NHP or do they just drive in, do their thing at *$, Hopdoddy, etc., and drive off or do they drive or walk back into NHP before/after their burger, coffee, etc.?
No, they do not. They park in front and then leave. But then again, it never seems like people stroll around the plaza itself. They park in front of the shop they are going to.

snark0leptic
10-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Another interesting point for choosing this location, there's another Great Clips not two miles west on 63rd & May. What are they trying to be, Sonics?

catch22
10-18-2019, 08:31 AM
I wonder if the residents of Seattle know that a Great Clips is in Lower Queen Anne?

This is on the same street as, but just a half mile from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. Someone please call them to tell them that undesirables may be getting a haircut nearby.

https://i.gyazo.com/0aa6618c5863b461b76565cf6b3857b4.jpg

soonermike81
10-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Another interesting point for choosing this location, there's another Great Clips not two miles west on 63rd & May. What are they trying to be, Sonics?

Maybe it’s the same operator and their lease is close to ending? Or maybe they see a large part of their base as NH residents?

At the end of the day, the market will dictate if this is a good location for them or not. Landlord can’t afford vacancies and great clips franchisee is risking their money, not anyone else’s. If the neighborhood feels this isn’t sophisticated enough for them, we’ll probably know in 3-5 years. Seems like as a society, we complain too got dam much about the dumbest things. And nothing has changed from 10-15 years ago, people are always complaining about chains and not having enough local stuff. I mean, the people opening great clips are most likely local residents. Are they to be **** on because their business isnt interesting enough?

CloudDeckMedia
10-22-2019, 11:45 AM
The “Great Clips” sign was just installed above the unfinished SUITE B, next door to closed Slapfish in Suite C. That explains how the landlord could avoid FED, reconfiguration, etc. The tenant mix is still a little curious.

Dob Hooligan
10-22-2019, 05:17 PM
Having spent 40 years in the "carriage trade", I can say there are few people more "value conscious" than the older Nichols Hills gent. They will delight in their $7.99 Great Clip, while their wife is at the $75 for a trim without a wash place in Classen Curve.

chuck5815
10-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Having spent 40 years in the "carriage trade", I can say there are few people more "value conscious" than the older Nichols Hills gent. They will delight in their $7.99 Great Clip, while their wife is at the $75 for a trim without a wash place in Classen Curve.

Exactly. You don't stay rich by eating out at Birra Birra every night and getting your mustache waxed at Scotch & Scissors.

Rover
10-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Exactly. You don't stay rich by eating out at Birra Birra every night and getting your mustache waxed at Scotch & Scissors.

There are the wealthy, and there are those that want to appear to be wealthy. Those that really have money have no need to prove they have it by wasting it. Hair is hair. If you get a good cut for $10 it's way better than getting the same cut for $75

Colbafone
10-24-2019, 09:12 AM
I absolutely, FIRMLY, expect each and every one of you there for their grand opening. I hope you're all as excited about this as I am.

Rover
10-24-2019, 12:36 PM
I absolutely, FIRMLY, expect each and every one of you there for their grand opening. I hope you're all as excited about this as I am.

I am sure there are many who will appreciate it. EVERY leasing and new opening doesn't have to be earth shattering cool to be important in the fabric of a community. It's nice when you can interlace the cool stuff with the everyday living stuff. To me, that's what makes a neighborhood.

SEMIweather
11-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Big News: The Nichols Hills Plaza location is open, and they are advertising a $7.99 haircut sale out front.