View Full Version : Lawn weed control and fertilization

Relentless85
09-17-2019, 09:36 AM
I currently use a company that treats my yard for weeds and fertilization. I am happy with the job they are doing but it does cost a lot.

I知 willing to treat my yard myself but I知 not sure what to use and when/how often to treat for weeds, crab grass, and fertilize.

I知 pretty sure my whole yard is Bermuda grass.

Looking for suggestions on what products work well and how often to treat/fertilize. Trying to save money as the budget is becoming more tight.

Thanks

CloudDeckMedia
09-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Take soil samples, grass samples and a few photos to the OSU Extension. They'll have some suggestions for you.

TheTravellers
09-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Take soil samples, grass samples and a few photos to the OSU Extension. They'll have some suggestions for you.

You should actually send your soil sample to Logan Labs, they cost just a bit more and give you way more information than OSU-OKC (specifically - Logan gives you organic matter % and OSU-OKC doesn't, and that's pretty important).

FighttheGoodFight
09-17-2019, 11:44 AM
I don't know how familiar you are with Reddit but there is a subreddit called LawnCare. These guys go through the chemicals most companies use and you can do it yourself. I think AtWoods sells most of the stuff.

oklip955
09-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Places to buy the same stuff as the guys that spray, Do Your Own Pest control on south Meridian just past what was Sheplers on the other side of Meridian in a strip shopping center. Also Ecroat on 10th and MLK also sells but in a bit larger size. They also are very knowledgable. I shop both places. TLC but they only carry smaller size containers and much more expensive. I spray my pastures and yard. I don't know what size area that you are spraying. Check them out.

Relentless85
09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Places to buy the same stuff as the guys that spray, Do Your Own Pest control on south Meridian just past what was Sheplers on the other side of Meridian in a strip shopping center. Also Ecroat on 10th and MLK also sells but in a bit larger size. They also are very knowledgable. I shop both places. TLC but they only carry smaller size containers and much more expensive. I spray my pastures and yard. I don't know what size area that you are spraying. Check them out.

Just doing my front and back yard. A little less than 1/2 acre.

Is there any type of schedule I should be following? What months to apply pre-emergent,fertilizers and weed control?

FighttheGoodFight
09-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Is there any type of schedule I should be following? What months to apply pre-emergent,fertilizers and weed control?

Basic 10 step guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lawncare/comments/bj3uvo/basic_10_step_process_to_a_nice_lawn/

chuck5815
09-18-2019, 03:41 PM

I know a lot of folks around here don't like OSU very much, but those Bois do know a thing or two about Bermuda grass:

http://oces.okstate.edu/seminole/agriculture/Bermudagrass%20lawn%20care%20calendar%202014.pdf

Midtowner
09-23-2019, 09:56 AM
I pay TrueGreen--I like that they constantly test my soil quality and monitor the rest of my yard for other issues. They just recently alerted me that my trees had a fungus and we recently started treatment for that.

betts
09-23-2019, 06:08 PM
My yard is totally natural, with buffalo grass, clover and the occasional weed. I pull weeds or let them be.. Insects are dying off. Insecticides and Roundup are killing them. We need to learn to live without the monoculture lawns to preserve our bugs.