View Full Version : Bar Cicchetti

Pete
09-15-2019, 05:28 AM
Bar Cicchetti opens in Deep Deuce (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=658-Bar-Cicchetti-opens-in-Deep-Deuce)

The newest collaboration from Oklahoma native Jonathon Stranger and celebrity chef Fabio Viviani quietly opened on Saturday.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti1.jpg

The two recently partnered on Osteria, a modern Italian concept in Nichols Hills Plaza which opened late last year.

Bar Cicchetti is a full-service restaurant featuring northern Mediterranean flavors through both small and large plates.

Located in the heart of the Deep Deuce district at 121 NE 2nd, the space in the Level apartment complex was formerly home to Urban Johnnies.

The chic two-level space was designed by architects AHMM and on game days, a huge 300-inch projection screen will be lowered to provide a unique sports bar atmosphere.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti8.jpg

Cicchetti is Italian for small snacks or side dishes, and the menu reflects that with such small plate items as lamb meatballs with jalapeno mint chimichurri and crispy cauliflower with fried green onion and lemon aioli.

There is also a large selection of salads, sandwiches and entrees including slow-braised pork shank, saffron bouillabaisse and olive oil poached halibut nicoise.

Coffee, espresso and dessert as also offered.

On the drink menu are 10 local beers on tap with many others in the can. Cocktails include several libations of Italian influence and a large wine list is also available.

Hours are 11 AM to 11 PM Sunday through Thursday and Friday and Saturday from 11 AM to 12 PM. Dinner reservations are available through Open Table.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti5.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti7.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti6.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchetti4.jpg

DoctorTaco
09-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Pete, you say that AHMM designed this? I know they designed the building originally but did they come back for the Cicchetti redesign?

Easy180
09-15-2019, 07:28 AM
I’m not sure what to think of this concept. I don’t think that menu will bring in the folks looking for a spot to watch a game. Hope I’m wrong cause that’s such a great spot.

Pete
09-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Pete, you say that AHMM designed this? I know they designed the building originally but did they come back for the Cicchetti redesign?

They have a big OKC office now and did the interior design here.

GoldFire
09-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure about that menu, though it looks like they did a really great job with the space. Excited to check it out regardless.

Libbymin
09-16-2019, 11:04 AM
I think the menu looks pretty good personally but I do agree that it doesn't exactly scream "pub food".

Pete
09-16-2019, 11:19 AM
But they do have a burger and pizza and appetizers and local beers.

I like that they are being ambitious, especially since Urban Johnnies never was able to cut it there.

Thomas Vu
09-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Was the menu pictured or is this elsewhere.

sooner88
09-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Was the menu pictured or is this elsewhere.

http://www.barcicchettiok.com/barcicchetti_food.pdf

Anonymous.
09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
I don't think a wooden bench around the edge is going to cut it for activating that patio. You need shade structure, an area for live music. Something to make it not feel like table and chairs between parking spots. The tables are even the ones left behind by UJ.

I agree with the concerns about the menu. I like the ambition, but I don't know how it will stick. Those are some pricey items for a place that has shared tables.

Pete
09-17-2019, 11:07 AM
I don't think a wooden bench around the edge is going to cut it for activating that patio. You need shade structure, an area for live music. Something to make it not feel like table and chairs between parking spots. The tables are even the ones left behind by UJ.

I agree with the concerns about the menu. I like the ambition, but I don't know how it will stick. Those are some pricey items for a place that has shared tables.

A shade structure will be built.

And there are only two communal tables out of many.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cicchettishade.jpg

no1cub17
09-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about that menu, though it looks like they did a really great job with the space. Excited to check it out regardless.

Just curious - what's your hesitation with the menu? Seems true to the concept with a variety of items. Not sure what the issue is?

Thomas Vu
09-19-2019, 10:33 PM
I stopped by and loved the space. Was too full from tryign a new place for dinner. If I'm ever in deep deuce and in the mood tow atch sports it'll probably be there.

Pete
09-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Reminder that they accept dinner reservations through Open Table.

Mantison
09-20-2019, 08:48 AM
I could see that menu drawing the fans who want something more than fried chicken wings and drunken idiots screaming Boomer at the screen. I hope it works out, as the concept seems somewhat unique.

Ross MacLochness
09-20-2019, 08:58 AM
^^^ https://youtu.be/jYFtskeZrNg?t=45

Bullbear
09-26-2019, 07:52 AM
I went last night before the Carrie Underwood concert. I love this place!. the interior is stunning and pictures just don't do it justice. the lighting especially created great mood. we sat upstairs and it was not busy at all but being just one week into opening that's understandable. I think it will be busy before long. I will post some food pics but the old fashioned ( which Im usually not a big fan) was great! also had the lamb meatballs, meat and cheese tray and Fried Burrata were delicious. we just did a few small plates and not a big meal.

soonerguru
09-27-2019, 10:24 PM
Been twice. Fan.

OkiePoke
10-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Went by this past weekend.

Overall, we will be back. It was a little more expensive than we thought though.

The food was really good. We had the cauliflower appetizer with their homemade hot sauce. The cauliflower was good, but dang, the hot sauce was great. It was a little sweeter than expected, and not has hot, but it worked well. Actually had them bring out some more.

We shared an entree of the chicken vege sandwich and salad. Just a great execution putting the ingredients together. Everything seemed to work. It seems they are putting an emphasis on items made in-house (sauces, dressings, etc.).

Also had a cocktail that had a little bit of hot sauce in it. I was afraid it may be too sweet, but instead a hint of sour, I could drink 5 of them.

They mentioned they are trying to develop a brunch menu but that won't come along until they have their lunch/dinner service figured out. No sense in bombarding the kitchen with different items before they are swimming.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Went this week for small plates. The decor is fantastic, looks much better than Urban Johnnie's. Upstairs has a nice vibe, dark with indirect lighting. Most importantly, waiter said TVs behind bar can be changed to digital oil paintings and the large screen goes away behind curtain on Friday and Saturday nights. I had given up on finding places to dine without a TV. I hope this place stays around. I really can't get over how great the interior design work is.

Pete
10-25-2019, 09:38 AM
^

The interior design was by AHMM architects of London which is one of the biggest and best firms in Europe but they set up an office here a few years ago.

One of the principals is from OKC originally and oversees most of the projects on routine trips back here. Their work is fantastic and they keep getting more and more. Has really helped to raise the bar in OKC.

Edmond Hausfrau
10-25-2019, 09:40 AM
So ironic. I told my spouse it had a London-y feel.

TheTravellers
10-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Went this week for small plates. The decor is fantastic, looks much better than Urban Johnnie's. Upstairs has a nice vibe, dark with indirect lighting. Most importantly, waiter said TVs behind bar can be changed to digital oil paintings and the large screen goes away behind curtain on Friday and Saturday nights. I had given up on finding places to dine without a TV. I hope this place stays around. I really can't get over how great the interior design work is.

Thanks for the info about the TVs, though I wonder if the TVs will be on if there's a Fri or Sat night game? We might have to try them at a non-game time (going to be a weird phone call - "Hi, are your TVs on with a game? Yes? OK, thanks, we're not coming, when is the next time you'll have them turned off?").

Filthy
10-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Have now been twice, specifically to watch football games. Food was great, and during Saturday games, they have a happy hour menu, and everything was EXCELLENT! When upstairs, the view for the big screen is somewhat obstructed by the hanging lights, but nothing that was a detriment to me watching the game.

MagzOK
11-02-2019, 08:01 AM
We stopped in last night for drinks after dinner and the place was dead. It was about 9 PM on a Friday night and there was three tables with patrons eating and two tables upstairs enjoying spirits. First of all, I just gotta say I fell in love with the looks of the place. The decor is very lively, modern, clean, and just really handsome. The service was really really good -- everyone we encountered was very cool and totally with it. There was some music going in the background and they were showing an ESPN 20 for 20 on the big screen when we got there. Upon request they switched it to the Mavs/Lakers game. Oddly they were out of stock of the first three beers my friend wanted to order. I had a couple drinks from the bar that were pretty outstanding. Nonetheless with the dead vibe ringing loudly, we left upon the conclusion of the game and we were the only folks left and this may have been around 10 or so. We were shocked that it was so dead. I just kept thinking that this place would be crawling with people if it were in Dallas or NYC. Is it just deep deuce or something? I mean, it was incredibly dead. That being said, I am going to go back to try the food as menu reads heavenly and the food looks really really good.

SEMIweather
11-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Lack of access to Deep Deuce relative to Midtown or Automobile Alley is pretty tough, I think. Deep Deuce to me is a part of OKC that is crying out for more programming to get people into the neighborhood. OK Sessions put on some nice small-scale music festivals there in the summer of 2018 that were fairly well-attended, but I assume they must have lost the funding to keep it going this past summer.

Anonymous.
11-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Shade structure is up on the patio. Should help in creating a more sitting on a patio vibe, rather than parking spot vibe.

It is difficult to see inside with the new wall at the entrance as it leaves only the windows to see in and those are already partially covered by stairs. But it looks like it is struggling.

GoldFire
11-19-2019, 04:41 PM
I feel like the extreme tint on the windows is problematic. If I wasn't on these forums I would have no idea the place was even open just walking past it.

boilerup35
11-20-2019, 09:05 AM
We went last Friday with some friends and everyone had mixed feelings. Some of the dishes were excellent (burger, fish, cauliflower), but the service was terrible. They messed up my bouillabaisse by bringing it out with missing components and the dish they served it in made the broth too spread out which meant it got cold rather quickly. The server's knowledge of the beer menu and cuts of meat left a lot to be desired. We will give them 1 more try, mostly because we have gift certificates to use, and are hoping for a better experience.

Anonymous.
11-21-2019, 03:19 PM
I noticed it looks like they plumbed the old Urban Johnnie gas fireplace that was outside and never on, into the shade structure. So looks like some type of heating element will eventually be added.

Pete
12-24-2019, 07:23 AM
https://i.imgur.com/q9okJ2n.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7oFvgVR.jpg

thunderbird
12-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Anyone been here recently? Curious if there have been any changes since opening.

We went the first week or so they opened and while we enjoyed it, we have not been back. Nothing on the menu really screamed at me but I'm sure we just need to try a few more things on the menu.

Pete
12-24-2019, 11:11 AM
I was there last night and loved it.

Food was good, service was great, space is gorgeous and when the game came on, they fired up the big screen

Edmond Hausfrau
12-25-2019, 06:54 PM
The space is Gorgeous! Other restaurants should take note. A good design can make up for a multitude of other sins.

Thomas Vu
12-26-2019, 06:57 AM
I loved it when I went there, but a deep deuce resident friend of mine keeps mentioning that they're always out of stuff?

king183
12-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Went here for lunch today and was very impressed with the space. It would be a great place to watch a game or just lounge casually. The food I had was very good. I’ll be going back.

soonerguru
12-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Their chicken veggie sandwich is among the best sandwiches I've eaten in this town hands down.

TheSteveHunt
12-30-2019, 10:20 PM
It's a great place, come see me down the road @ Stag tue-sat. Fun times.

soonerguru
12-31-2019, 12:00 AM
I feel like the extreme tint on the windows is problematic. If I wasn't on these forums I would have no idea the place was even open just walking past it.

Great point. Are they going for a speakeasy feel? Weird choice for such a large space. Also, their logo sucks.

Still, this is one of the best drink and eat places to open in OKC in the last year and I will continue to be a patron.

Will Dearborn
01-20-2020, 08:43 PM
It's mind-blowing that they'd spend $ on the buildout and then hide it with the window tint. I know business associates that didn't go who were staying at the Aloft because they couldn't tell if it was busy or not (or what it was).

I hope they're successful but the couple times I've been have been forgettable and the place was dead...

HangryHippo
01-21-2020, 07:19 AM
I agree about the tint. They need to redo it with something lighter so you can actually see in.

BBatesokc
03-13-2020, 07:29 AM
Sweet Deal right now $50 for $25. I picked up 2...

https://www.sweetdeals.com/oklahoma-city/9005172-bar-cicchetti?fbclid=IwAR3Z5clLf_lb7KyczU-4Fx4GrXrVBIg5i6XLnITTE7rxkzJWvf3TtxER_ps

Anonymous.
07-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Went here for the first time. The window tint is gone on the groundfloor and you can now see activity inside.

Vibe: It had just rained so it killed the patio. Although I feel as if the staff would've had time to dry off any chairs/tables and blast the heaters + fans to help dry and it would have made the patio do-able. We went in around 6:30pm last night and it had stopped raining well before that. They do live music Thursdays, so that all got shoved inside which was sort of strange considering they blast music over the speakers in there. Not even joking, they were playing early 2000s top-40 music whilst a harp and flute were playing upstairs. I don't know if the staff even realized there was live music up there, but it seemed really disorganized from that standpoint.

Service: was great for us, even though you could tell they were short-staffed. The GM was running food and taking orders. The Bartop was barely occupied, so drinks came to tables fast. There was a mistake on our bill, which was corrected and the item was then cut by 50% by their own doing.

Food: was way better than I was expecting. Had the artichoke dip, fried chicken, mac & cheese, and crab lasagna. Dessert we had both the cookie + gelatin & the bread pudding. The bread-pudding was absolutely amazing, and GIGANTIC.

Price: All that food plus 3 drinks was only $100. On the menu it looks like they have some great happy hour specials on drinks & some of the food items, will definitely be returning for those on the patio.