View Full Version : Skunk Sprayed Dogs

Plutonic Panda
09-04-2019, 11:58 PM
It finally happened. I’ve been sprayed but never have I had a dog sprayed until now. Are there any remedies to get rid of the smell or should they just wait it out outside for a week?

emtefury
09-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Tomato soup. That is what my Grandmother used, but unsure if it ever worked

jerrywall
09-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Skunk-off. The shampoo for the dog, and the spray for the carpet, the yard, and other areas that have the skunk smell on it. This works the best of the commercial products I've found. Nature's Miracle has a decent skunk shampoo, but I've found the skunk-off brand to be more effective.

Available at petsmart, petco, chewy, etc.

Whatever you use, make sure you pay special attention to eyelids and the area around the mouth. You'll get lots of irritation there. Plus between the toes. They'll paw and scratch after getting sprayed, and the scent will hide in those spaces, and you'll keep smelling it.

And yes, time is the ultimate solution. But a good bath/cleaning will shorten that some.

FighttheGoodFight
09-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Bit off topic but an OU researcher actually found a way to neutralize the smell with a formula he hopes will one day be on the market. https://www.koco.com/article/two-arrested-in-del-city-shooting-that-killed-man-injured-woman-police-say/28924555

thunderbird
09-05-2019, 08:33 AM
It finally happened. I’ve been sprayed but never have I had a dog sprayed until now. Are there any remedies to get rid of the smell or should they just wait it out outside for a week?

This happened a few years ago with one of our dogs, I almost just got a new dog - It was absolutely disgusting and I'm one of those people that likes the skunk smell. She got sprayed and before I noticed what happened she ran through the house and somehow got it all over our couch. A new couch and the petco shampoo stuff and about a week of daily baths and it was good.

rezman
09-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Yep, tomato juice, And lots of it.

Jersey Boss
09-05-2019, 10:01 AM
A co worker used this formula successfully this week. She got this info from her vet.

1 gallon of water to a large bucket.

Add 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1 cup of baking soda and 1 tbsp. of Dawn dish detergent to the bucket of water.

Allow the mixture to fizz.

Dip a sponge into the solution in the bucket.

Use the wet sponge to lather the affected area of the skin or hair.

Let the solution sit for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

Rinse and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.

The tomato juice deal just covers up the smell and does not eradicate it.

rezman
09-05-2019, 11:23 AM
^ Actually tomato juice does work. Been there and done it. My dog cornered a skunk and took a direct shot in the mouth, face and breast area. Beside stinking badly, he was sick to his stomach. The alternating tomato juice bath and rinsing, and subsequent soapy bath worked. I also used Avoderm shampoo and spray to keep his skin from drying out. You will still have a little lingering that will have to dissipate on it's own, but nothing will get rid of that.

Plutonic Panda
09-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the information! I will try these things. I have heard about Tomato Juice but wasn't sure if it actually works. I will give it and other solutions a try. Hopefully this smell goes away. Good thing I was outside when it happened to get the dogs away.

Jersey Boss
09-05-2019, 01:09 PM
^ Actually tomato juice does work. Been there and done it. My dog cornered a skunk and took a direct shot in the mouth, face and breast area. Beside stinking badly, he was sick to his stomach. The alternating tomato juice bath and rinsing, and subsequent soapy bath worked. I also used Avoderm shampoo and spray to keep his skin from drying out. You will still have a little lingering that will have to dissipate on it's own, but nothing will get rid of that.

Apologies sir. I was going by why the vet told my co-worker. She did indicate that the formula I gave worked and it is cheaper than tomato juice. I do know that Dawn soap is used by those who get oil off of ducks and water fowl when oil pollutes waterways.

Bill Robertson
09-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Another believer in Skunk-Off. We had a Schnauzer about 10 years ago that got sprayed. She ran in the door and got on the couch, the bed and lots in between before we knew what happened. We tried lots of stuff but Skunk-Off worked wonders. Funny thing though. It was so bad that we washed all of our clothes five or six times, even though she didn’t go into the closet, but when we went back to work a couple days later people in both our workplaces made comments about the horrible skunk smell. Months later we’d pull a shirt out of the closet that we hadn’t worn in a while and it would reek.

billokc
02-29-2020, 02:47 PM

I found this in Pet Smart. It WORKS!!!15822

Jeepnokc
02-29-2020, 05:59 PM
Saw this the other day even though came out 6 months ago. Not on market yet as far as I know but cool discovery from OU guys

https://www.news9.com/story/40901045/ou-researchers-develop-compound-to-fight-skunk-odor