View Full Version : AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Tydude
08-17-2019, 09:46 PM
https://oklahoman.com/article/5638929/northpark-theater-oldest-in-okc-closes?fbclid=IwAR2Vcr4qNLsPKmwOrNL_V6_zyhWlMtrNxB RCeWTgQJ3k0CHLTBuONS_crFc

According to Steve Lackmeyer from the Oklahoman that AMC 7 at Northpark has closed for good.

Mel
08-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Never like hearing about people losing their jobs. I wonder what they will do with the space?

brian72
08-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Hopefully another theater company comes in and Buys & upgrades the place. Maybe I'm just hoping but I think it still can be a great location for a 4 screen theater.

jn1780
08-19-2019, 08:23 AM
I'm surprised they lasted this long. Did AMC ever pump money into it? It was just a dollar theater. If it was given the Penn square 10 treatment, it may have had a chance. I don't think people even knew it was still open, there was no effort by AMC to really advertise outside. The marque sign hasn't been touched for a couple of years now with movie listings.

TheTravellers
08-19-2019, 08:26 AM
Hopefully another theater company comes in and Buys & upgrades the place. Maybe I'm just hoping but I think it still can be a great location for a 4 screen theater.

As it was originally, and the largest screen was *huge*, not sure of the capacity but it was probably pretty close to what the Continental and Westwood held, saw "Reds" in the big one and stood in line for hours for the premiere of "Empire Strikes Back" there (also showed in the big one).

Pete
08-19-2019, 08:27 AM
I spoke to AMC a couple of years ago, as I had heard they were considering a major remodel and expansion.

They told me at the time it was something they very much wanted to do, but the current owner was dragging his feet.

My understanding is they finally gave up and closed down, as their business had been very minimal for quite some time and the entire facility was beyond dated.

jerrywall
08-19-2019, 08:48 AM
As it was originally, and the largest screen was *huge*, not sure of the capacity but it was probably pretty close to what the Continental and Westwood held, saw "Reds" in the big one and stood in line for hours for the premiere of "Empire Strikes Back" there (also showed in the big one).

I also saw Empire Strikes Back there as a (young) kid, and also stood for hours. IIRC we had to stand through at least one full showing (and my dad spoiled the ending for everyone in line as we were leaving). The good old days. I definitely prefer the more modern theaters, and the increased comfort, but it is a shame to see these old theaters dying out (especially one with the history of Northpark) so agree with others it would be great if someone could save it and do something with it (maybe a boutique theater of some type).

Pete
08-19-2019, 08:53 AM
For the longest time, Northpark, Quail, French Market and Shepherd Mall were the best multi-screen theaters.

And back in the late '70s and early '80s where long lines were common for blockbusters, it was always nice to be able to wait inside a mall.

okatty
08-19-2019, 09:15 AM
^I recall going to French Market and Shepherd Mall a lot! How times have changed in that regard!

The Shadow
08-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Obviously the developers and AMC really knew what they were doing when they opened 24 screens at Quail Springs to replace the existing 8 at Penn and Memorial twenty years ago.

OKCRT
08-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Obviously the developers and AMC really knew what they were doing when they opened 24 screens at Quail Springs to replace the existing 8 at Penn and Memorial twenty years ago.

Bob Dillon told us way back that Times Are A Chagin. And they just keep changing.

AusKlos
08-19-2019, 09:34 AM
I have it on good authority that the B&B Windsor 10 will be shuttering at the end of August as well. Really unfortunate since it was a great, clean, and well maintained "older" theatre. The manager told me that some new owners have bought the Windsor shopping center and were trying to do a major rent hike. He said that business there is generally good, but they cannot make money with the huge rent increase.

Roger S
08-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Bob Dillon told us way back that Times Are A Chagin. And they just keep changing.

He was so close to becoming famous with this version and then Bob Dylan beat him to the punch releasing The Times They Are A Changin' the day before Dillon released his version and Dillon was never heard from again... The music business is tough!

Ward
08-19-2019, 09:58 AM
I remember see the first Star War movie at Northpark in 1977. The theatre was pretty much 1st class, for the time period. We had to sit on the front row and star up at the screen. Went back a few weeks later and got a much better seat.

Pete
08-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Right, but they also kept Northpark going and I believe it was because they hoped to bring it up to modern standards but gave up on dealing with the mall owner.

jedicurt
08-19-2019, 10:36 AM
i honestly thought they had been closed for awhile.. and didn't know they were still open until now...

HOT ROD
08-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Is there now another foot-in-mouth moment at the Oklahoman? They are now "Breaking" that North Park mall owners want to refurbish and reopen the theatre.

Seems this should have all been just one story, complete with the closure and impact to the owners new intention vs. the choppy reporting we have with the closed for good then oh wait - now we'll meet with the owners after they've read the news about the closure. ....

The Shadow
08-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Right, but they also kept Northpark going and I believe it was because they hoped to bring it up to modern standards but gave up on dealing with the mall owner.

Yes, hard to believe the AMC 24 has been open for 20 years. I cant remember exactly when Quail Twin closed. It would be a real shame if the space at Northpark were converted to something else. They seemed to do decent business. Personally, I kinda liked the fact it was outdated.

The Shadow
08-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Or did they have four screens at Quail? I want to say French market was two screens and Shepard mall was four?

Pete
08-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Or did they have four screens at Quail? I want to say French market was two screens and Shepard mall was four?

They were all twin theaters.

Pete
08-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Is there now another foot-in-mouth moment at the Oklahoman? They are now "Breaking" that North Park mall owners want to refurbish and reopen the theatre.

Seems this should have all been just one story, complete with the closure and impact to the owners new intention vs. the choppy reporting we have with the closed for good then oh wait - now we'll meet with the owners after they've read the news about the closure. ....

If the current owner was truly interested in a renovated theater, why on earth would they not come to terms with AMC?

OKCRT
08-19-2019, 01:15 PM
He was so close to becoming famous with this version and then Bob Dylan beat him to the punch releasing The Times They Are A Changin' the day before Dillon released his version and Dillon was never heard from again... The music business is tough!

Haha,true story

shawnw
08-19-2019, 02:24 PM
https://twitter.com/stevelackmeyer/status/1163490082428526592

d-usa
08-19-2019, 02:29 PM
I looked at movies there a few weeks ago to take my kids, but they didn’t have a big selection of kid movies at the time. I wouldn’t mind a nice family theater where people won’t care if your kids can’t sit still for an entire movie and might ask questions at times.

That or a nice theater showing independent movies and such.

baralheia
08-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Yes, hard to believe the AMC 24 has been open for 20 years. I cant remember exactly when Quail Twin closed. It would be a real shame if the space at Northpark were converted to something else. They seemed to do decent business. Personally, I kinda liked the fact it was outdated.

It really is. My first job was at AMC Quail Springs 24. They opened December 18, 1998, replacing the AMC Memorial Square 8 just across Penn. I worked there in the very early 2000's, when I turned 16. As for the Quail Twin, it shut down in September of 1989 - according to this article from the Daily Oklahoman (https://oklahoman.com/article/2286326/wanted-shopping-center-theater-tenants).

Plutonic Panda
08-19-2019, 04:01 PM
I wouldn’t mind a nice family theater where people won’t care if your kids can’t sit still for an entire movie and might ask questions at times.
.Stay far away from me! LOL ;)

d-usa
08-19-2019, 04:28 PM
That’s what’s great about the summer movie series that the various theaters put on. You pretty much know it will be miserable there, so it’s your own fault if you show up!

Some theaters have the sealed rooms for kids, but it’s nice to have a good option.

SoonerQueen
08-19-2019, 10:10 PM
My son and I went recently to see Shaft at the NorthPark theater. We had a good experience, and had planned to go again to see other movies. Sorry to see that they have closed.

The Shadow
08-20-2019, 07:12 AM
It really is. My first job was at AMC Quail Springs 24. They opened December 18, 1998, replacing the AMC Memorial Square 8 just across Penn. I worked there in the very early 2000's, when I turned 16. As for the Quail Twin, it shut down in September of 1989 - according to this article from the Daily Oklahoman (https://oklahoman.com/article/2286326/wanted-shopping-center-theater-tenants).

Well then you're probably not old enough to remember, but those would have all closed right after PennSquare reopened with the nicest movie theater in town, spring 1988. Forgot all about the Reding 4, that building is still there.

Johnb911
08-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Northpark, what a great spot to feel like a kid and go see a movie on a crappy screen with crappy seats and bad sound. I hope someone keeps it open, but i'm fine if they don't do any upgrades! Walking in there was like walking into the Gage 4 theater in Topeka. Sweet nostalgia.

bchris02
08-20-2019, 10:38 AM
It's always enjoyable and nostalgic to feel the rats running by your feet during the movie in an old theater like that. Sad they are closing.

Pete
08-20-2019, 11:07 AM
That was my favorite HS theater back in the 70's but I haven't had any desire to go back as it just seemed so incredibly sad.

Martin
08-20-2019, 11:10 AM
ugh. it's completely illogical but hearing about the closing of northpark 7 hits me in the feels just a little... I don't recall ever seeing a movie there but my oldest brother must have watched pulp fiction a dozen times in that theatre in the 90's... we lost him unexpectedly a few months ago in march.

Pete
08-20-2019, 11:14 AM
^

Oh wow, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Bill Robertson
08-20-2019, 12:09 PM
I haven’t been there in years. In fact I haven’t been to more than a couple movies in years. But I went to Northpark and waited in line for hours for the first Star Wars when I was in high school. Sad to see it go.

baralheia
08-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Well then you're probably not old enough to remember, but those would have all closed right after PennSquare reopened with the nicest movie theater in town, spring 1988. Forgot all about the Reding 4, that building is still there.

Yeah, the info I can find says that the Quail Twin held on for a little while after Memorial Square opened, but they just couldn't compete between Northpark and Memorial Square. Funny you should mention Penn Square, though - I worked there too! I was a projectionist there for a couple of years in the mid-to-late 2k's when it was owned by Dickinson. Penn Square's been through several operators since they opened on May 19th, 1988 under the General Cinemas banner. In '97 it flipped to Hollywood. Hollywood shut it down in September 2001, and a year later on November 1st, 2002, Dickinson opened it back up, operating it up until Dickinson went bankrupt in late 2012. They closed on October 28th, 2012, and AMC reopened the theater the next month.

I wish I had a picture of it, but at Penn Square, there was one wall near the make-up table (the workbench where films were assembled, inspected, and disassembled) where every projectionist in that booth since opening day had written their name and years of service... Of course when I left, I added my name to the list. A friend of a friend worked there when AMC took over, and she said the list was still there and had grown... but her position was eliminated when the film projectors were replaced with digital projectors. No idea if that list is still there on that wall, but I really hope it is. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a similar list somewhere in the booth at Northpark.

Johnb911
08-20-2019, 12:38 PM
best theater to sneak beers into. hands down.

Pete
08-20-2019, 12:46 PM
I wish I had a picture of it, but at Penn Square, there was one wall near the make-up table (the workbench where films were assembled, inspected, and disassembled) where every projectionist in that booth since opening day had written their name and years of service... Of course when I left, I added my name to the list. A friend of a friend worked there when AMC took over, and she said the list was still there and had grown... but her position was eliminated when the film projectors were replaced with digital projectors. No idea if that list is still there on that wall, but I really hope it is. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a similar list somewhere in the booth at Northpark.

That's very cool. Might be a story in there; interview all the past projectionists.

sooner333
08-20-2019, 02:42 PM
I guess we’ll find out what AMC had in mind for a refresh, as they are currently going through an extensive renovation of a dollar theater in Norman. Will be interesting to find out what that new theater is like.