View Full Version : The Hub

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
08-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Mixed-use project planned for NW 13th & Broadway (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=643-Mixed-use-project-planned-for-NW-13th-Broadway)

Broadway Avenue north of NW 10th continues to be a hotbed of activity with yet another project in the works.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub1a.jpg

A group led by local attorney Richard Labarthe is planning The Hub, a new 6-story office building with ground floor retail and anchored by a branch for Core Bank and their corporate offices.

The design by RBA Architects also shows a drive-through for the bank and a future phase that would include apartments and a parking structure on the 3.5-acre parcel.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub3.jpg

Just to the south, the new campus for Oklahoma Contemporary museum is pushing towards an opening in early 2020, while the Midtown Renaissance group is deep into renovation of the former Mercedes Benz dealership into office space.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/benz070619c.jpg
Benz Building

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/contemp080419c.jpg
Oklahoma Contemporary

At 11th & Broadway, the 6-story Broadway Park office building is nearing completion. To the east of The Hub, Dolese Brothers (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=563-First-look-at-new-HQ-for-Dolese) currently has its sprawling 14-acre headquarters for sale as they construct a new building near Britton Road and Broadway Extention.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/broadwaypark081619a.jpg
Broadway Park

Amy Dunn, Brent Conway and Joe Summers of CBRE are handling leasing for The Hub.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub4a.jpg

Rover
08-16-2019, 06:39 AM
Is the first floor extra tall? The rendering looks like 6 floors, not 5.

Given the base tenants are announced, is this a sure go.

sooner88
08-16-2019, 07:06 AM
Is the first floor extra tall? The rendering looks like 6 floors, not 5.

Given the base tenants are announced, is this a sure go.

Article says its 6 stories.

jonny d
08-16-2019, 07:12 AM
I like that the apartments are wrapped around the parking garage. Should be nice infill in that area, as well as adding a fair bit of residents to the area.

Sooner.Arch
08-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Not a fan of the architectural design of the building. Just worried they will use the same awful blue glass that they used at Gulfport Energy Corporation near Quail. The design is very suburban IMO, I say this because of previous works by RBA, They do suburban design well, but not sure if this stands with the identity of Automobile Alley. Also what is up with all those parking spots in the plan....

Anonymous.
08-16-2019, 07:56 AM
I like it. But let's be honest. The "future apartments" are not happening.

jonny d
08-16-2019, 08:12 AM

Not with that attitude. There is hardly any housing along Broadway, so I think these will happen. Especially with Heartland opening in a year or so.

hfry
08-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Not a fan of the architectural design of the building. Just worried they will use the same awful blue glass that they used at Gulfport Energy Corporation near Quail. The design is very suburban IMO, I say this because of previous works by RBA, They do suburban design well, but not sure if this stands with the identity of Automobile Alley. Also what is up with all those parking spots in the plan....
What parking spots are you seeing? Because unless you're referring to on street parking or the possible future parking garage then I'm missing it.

BoulderSooner
08-16-2019, 08:21 AM

there is nothing suburban about this design

Sooner.Arch
08-16-2019, 08:31 AM
there is nothing suburban about this design

https://www.google.com/search?q=suburban+office+buildings&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS816US817&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5odmGzYfkAhUCWqwKHaSWCYEQ_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=969

I leave you with this... look into it buddy. This design is suburban.

David
08-16-2019, 08:35 AM
Built right up to the street, good interaction with street level retail, looks like nice urban infill to me.

And on an important corner, too.

kevin lee
08-16-2019, 09:16 AM
That's definitely urban but it would be even nicer if a cafe or deli of some type were added. Im pleased regardless.

PhiAlpha
08-16-2019, 10:41 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=suburban+office+buildings&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS816US817&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5odmGzYfkAhUCWqwKHaSWCYEQ_AUIESgB&biw=1920&bih=969

I leave you with this... look into it buddy. This design is suburban.

Yeah by definition this is definitely an urban design by every measure . If you're talking about the architecture/the way it looks, it may look like a building in the suburbs but the design (fronting both Broadway & 13th, retail on street level, all but street parking in the back or in a parking structure, and multiple floors for density) it is in every way an urban design.The layout does not look anything like any of the buildings in the google search you posted.

BoulderSooner
08-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Yeah by definition this is definitely an urban design by every measure . If you're talking about the architecture/the way it looks, it may look like a building in the suburbs but the design (fronting both Broadway & 13th, retail on street level, all but street parking in the back or in a parking structure, and multiple floors for density) it is in every way an urban design.The layout does not look anything like any of the buildings in the google search you posted.

^^^^

Sooner.Arch
08-16-2019, 11:55 AM
If you reference my response, I state how the architectural design is suburban. I am not talking about the layout ( which actually idk why anyone would think that surrounding a full block with parking om ALL sides is urban design) . I am solely talking about the architectural design. Lets evaluate it. Several details of this building are just out of scale. The "brise soleils" seem to not have any function really. The design takes elements of the Gulfport Energy Corporation ( which architecturally is a "modern" suburban office ). If the glass is the same as Gulfport, it is going to be an awful shade of blue that I personally see as tacky. The windows even have unnecessary detailing that don't allow the human eye to rest. This building isn't architecturally pleasing in an urban area because it also has no regards to the site context or district. But once again, this is my personal opinion.

BoulderSooner
08-16-2019, 12:05 PM
If you reference my response, I state how the architectural design is suburban. I am not talking about the layout ( which actually idk why anyone would think that surrounding a full block with parking om ALL sides is urban design) . I am solely talking about the architectural design. Lets evaluate it. Several details of this building are just out of scale. The "brise soleils" seem to not have any function really. The design takes elements of the Gulfport Energy Corporation ( which architecturally is a "modern" suburban office ). If the glass is the same as Gulfport, it is going to be an awful shade of blue that I personally see as tacky. The windows even have unnecessary detailing that don't allow the human eye to rest. This building isn't architecturally pleasing in an urban area because it also has no regards to the site context or district. But once again, this is my personal opinion.

style of a building is not urban or suburban

Pete
08-16-2019, 12:05 PM
The architect is RBA and their most notable project is the Gulfport Energy building near Quail Springs:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gulfport100.jpg

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2019, 12:19 PM
I love the design and think it will fit in perfectly. I like diverse architecture in a city.

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2019, 12:34 PM
I usually am NOT one to advocate for street diets but this road seems prime. It is a hotbed for speed traps with a road design that seems to perfectly handle speeds of 50MPH. The road should be redesigned with BRT lanes for an Edmond to DTOKC route heading down the 235 to Downtown Edmond.

I'm designing a street now but it will take me a minute as this software is more complex than other street design tools:

http://streetplan.net/MyState/MyOrg/MyProj/18785

PhiAlpha
08-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Urban vs suburban design is about how the building is laid out and interacts with it's surroundings. None of the details you mention indicate that it is a suburban vs. urban design. it actually looks pretty similar to the Aloft in Deep Deuce which is definitely considered an urban design. Angled street parking isn't poor urban design either and it isn't on all sides of the main building...just on 13th and matches what is already there with the Garage Lofts next door which would be considered an urban design. It would be much stranger from an urban design standpoint to not use the same setback as the Garage Lofts or to have a massive grass lawn in front of the building where the Garage Lofts have angled parking.

Plutonic Panda
08-16-2019, 12:52 PM
I usually am NOT one to advocate for street diets but this road seems prime. It is a hotbed for speed traps with a road design that seems to perfectly handle speeds of 50MPH. The road should be redesigned with BRT lanes for an Edmond to DTOKC route heading down the 235 to Downtown Edmond.

I'm designing a street now but it will take me a minute as this software is more complex than other street design tools:

Stretch between 13th and 23rd.
http://streetplan.net/MyState/MyOrg/MyProj/18785

This design would incorporate bus only and two way protected bike lanes and foster a BRT route to Edmond and such a route could be reality long before the proposed commuter rail comes to reality.

https://i.imgur.com/F21UTFD.png

OKC Guy
08-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Times are good. We used to complain about even getting businesses to build in downtown area and now that its happening we are only left to complain about the building itself. Nevermind this is more jobs and more taxes, we don’t like the look lol.

I think it looks great but more important its more growth in the outer core.

The bigger long term problem is getting to this area coming from north (not Classen). If driving from 235N the only exits are 23rd and 10th. 23rd will require going on Broadway south which will continue to see traffic growth. Or get off on 10th and backtrack. Due to the 235 going over 23rd there is no room to create an off ramp at 13th street. So its likely this pushes more traffic to 10th but then you have to cross railroad to get to Broadway. Its not a big problem right now but if this area keeps seeing buildings like this then it will create traffic problems. That to me is the bigger picture, not the “looks” of the building.

Dob Hooligan
08-16-2019, 05:39 PM
For all the 1990s I owned the house in the bottom right of Pete's drone shot. I'm still familiar with the area.

Robinson and 13th have always had angle parking in the block proposed. 14th and Broadway have not.

I would like to see views of all directions; both phase 1 and phase 2. I am concerned it will dwarf the 3 Circles Art building (the existing 1 story on the NW corner of the block). If Dina Madole still owns and resides there, I am concerned a little 80 year old lady is being isolated by wrap around development.

I see they plan to build over the existing alley on the north half of the block. This makes me wonder what is involved in abandoning an alley.

I recall that in the 1990s the development area shown was beginning to consolidate ownership. IIRC, the SE corner had been owned by the Brown's Bakery family for many years, but they lost it to foreclosure due to a failed expansion into Edmond during the bust era of the 1980s; the rest of the land belonged a lady who was heir to the "Norton Buick" property (names I recall are Doug Lady Buick, Mark Putnam Buick and Rock Richardson Buick). Even more trivial, the Loft Garage Apartments were originally built as the Norton Buick building, and somewhere during the Post War Era the Buick dealership moved into more modern quarters on the rest of the block and the existing building wound up being sold to Ralph L. Bolen, who used it for the Oldsmobile and Mercedes-Benz body shop. By the early 2000s the Bob Moore group had exercised their options and acquired the lots.

jonny d
08-17-2019, 07:41 AM
https://oklahoman.com/article/5638841/u-shaped-mixed-use-development-planned-in-oklahoma-citys-automobile-alley

Oklahoman article about the upcoming development. Mentioned 225 apartments in those "future apartment" buildings. Wanting to get started soon, after financing and permitting are obtained.

AP
02-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Any update on this development, Pete?

Pete
02-18-2020, 10:59 AM
I'm sure they are trying to get anchor tenants so they can secure financing.

AlvarezK
06-19-2020, 09:03 PM
Any updates or news of any delays, Pete?

Pete
06-20-2020, 05:42 AM
I'm sure they are still trying to find tenants and financing.

Pete
08-19-2020, 05:33 AM
Richard McKown (Level, The Bower) has submitted plans to rezone this property that would slightly reconfigure the layout.

Wil still be a 5-story office building on the corner of Broadway and NW 13th, but smaller. Looks like they are keeping the drive-thru for the bank. The apartments have been reconfigured as well.

McKown likely has the property under contract but as of yet, it has not been sold by the group that created the proposal in the original post.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub081720a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub081720b.jpg

AP
08-19-2020, 07:39 AM
It will be interesting to see how quickly this gets started. I'm assuming we won't see construction for some time.

HOT ROD
08-27-2020, 05:07 PM
i like the height and retail additions but hate the bank "drive". why couldn't it go elsewhere instead of fronting the main AAlley corner, Broadway and 13th or better yet just have it a walk-up urban bank?

aDark
06-02-2021, 10:39 AM
Hey Pete, have you heard of any momentum here? I'm sure covid and construction costs have slowed this project. Any indication that it is dead or word of when it could pick back up?

Pete
06-02-2021, 12:28 PM
This project has completely stalled.

Not very optimistic about it moving forward any time soon.

shawnw
08-18-2021, 11:41 PM
Hopeful downtown house buyers look to infill projects for new homes
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2021/08/18/hopeful-downtown-house-buyers-look-infill-projects-new-homes/5458567001/

Richard McKown, who has built hundreds of apartments in Deep Deuce and a development of for-sale housing in Midtown, is about to develop one of the larger apartment projects with 276 units planned at NW 13 and Broadway around the existing Garage Lofts.

Plutonic Panda
01-04-2022, 12:32 PM
Any movement on this?

Pete
01-04-2022, 12:33 PM
Any movement on this?

Nope.

It seems Richard McKown is not going to move forward with his plan and the original group has done nothing since the announcement.

Plutonic Panda
01-04-2022, 12:37 PM
Nope.

It seems Richard McKown is not going to move forward with his plan and the original group has done nothing since the announcement.
That’s a shame. This would have been a nice project. Hopefully it gets developed soon.

KayneMo
08-02-2022, 11:26 AM
Any update on what's happening here?

Pete
08-02-2022, 01:14 PM
Any update on what's happening here?

No.

I'm sure the owners are now trying to find an anchor tenant or maybe a new buyer.

KayneMo
11-10-2022, 08:32 AM
It looked like core sampling was taking place at this site this morning.

Southsider2
11-10-2022, 08:40 AM
I've seen crews on site sporadically over the last week or two. Noticed the sampling as well. Would be great for this to get rolling.

Pete
12-13-2022, 04:07 PM
They re-submitted their plans for design review, actually increasing the height of the office building, which will now be 7 stories. The project will completely wrap around the Garage Lofts and include a pool, dog park and sports court. Apartment buildings will be 4- and 5-stories with a 6-level parking structure.

Looks like this will be moving forward just as the vacant Dolese property to the east is developed in a similar fashion. Will add serious density to an area that has been largely vacant for a long time.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322bb.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322d.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322f.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub121322aaa.jpg

Plutonic Panda
12-13-2022, 04:14 PM
Awesome!

Anonymous.
12-13-2022, 04:28 PM
08-16-2019, 08:56 AM

This is my favorite flavor of crow!

Oski
12-13-2022, 07:13 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/hub1a.jpg

I'm so happy, because this is pretty darn ugly.

Teo9969
12-14-2022, 06:14 AM
Wow, this will be a huge impact development.

cinnamonjock
12-14-2022, 07:19 AM
Will this section of robinson ever be changed from one way?

Pete
12-14-2022, 07:27 AM
Will this section of robinson ever be changed from one way?

That really does need to happen.

HangryHippo
12-14-2022, 07:34 AM
When do we think this might start? I know design review can be a lengthy process, and that’s if it is completed.

David
12-14-2022, 09:06 AM
Is Richard McKown still the developer on this, or are the owners working with someone else?

That big Core Bank logo is interesting, I didn't recognize the name but it's a real thing (https://www.corebankok.com/) and not just some temporary name to hide the real tenant name. Based on their website they look to be a new and fairly small operation but they appear to be planning on growing with this big new OKC location.

I hope the office building doesn't get much push back at design review or gets meddled with like what happened to Broadway Park.

Pete
12-14-2022, 09:08 AM
Is Richard McKown still the developer on this, or are the owners working with someone else?

I don't think McKown is involved. It's a group of investors headed by a local attorney and I'm sure Core Bank has an interest.

ChaseDweller
12-14-2022, 09:38 AM
Bought my first real car on that corner in 1987. A brand new shiny red Mazda RX-7. Man I loved that car. Glad to see the corner getting redeveloped.

Pete
12-14-2022, 09:43 AM
Bought my first real car on that corner in 1987. A brand new shiny red Mazda RX-7. Man I loved that car. Glad to see the corner getting redeveloped.

Was it a Jack Robbins dealership?

I bought my first new car from Jack Robbins in Auto Alley in 1982. An Audi 4000. And like you, I loved that car.

Dob Hooligan
12-14-2022, 11:12 AM
This is straight from memory, so some items may be fuzzy.

SW corner 14th & Broadway: A Texaco station was right on the corner until late 1980s. Next door east was the Jack Robbins Porsche-Audi body shop. Next door east of that was the body shop for the Buick dealer (Doug Lady, etc). Next is an existing alley. Next was/is 3 Circle Art building, which is not part of the new development.

NW corner 13th & Broadway: Buick dealership (Doug Lady/Steve someone/Rock Richardson) later had Isuzu, Oldsmobile, Jeep and Mazda.

NE corner 13th & Robinson. Shopping center that had Brown's Bakery and several other tenants through the years. Later bought and cleared by Bob Moore.

NW corner 14th & Broadway was Jack Robbins Porsche-Audi. Sold to Bob Moore around 1990.

catch22
12-14-2022, 10:12 PM
Wow! Great! Love this density coming to the core. Hopefully we will be approaching some of this long desires critical mass to help spur additional resources, transit etc.

chssooner
12-14-2022, 10:48 PM
Now all we need is an actual grocery store downtown, and these residents will be all set. I keep hoping some developer will be imaginative enough to include one in their plans, but alas, not yet.

No sense in letting spectacular be the enemy of great. This will help the core a lot!

G.Walker
04-19-2023, 01:14 PM
Should be starting soon...

HFAA Alum
04-19-2023, 04:04 PM
And yet another midrise infill to add to the back end skyline. Does this mean we'll be seeing yet another crane grace our city?

Plutonic Panda
04-19-2023, 04:08 PM
Speaking of skylines do any other cities of OKCs size have a second skyline like OKC does in the NW?

G.Walker
04-19-2023, 04:34 PM
South Tulsa has a pretty nice skyline....Warren Place Towers, and around the St John Medical Center area.