View Full Version : Residential Electric lawn mower?

Pages : [1] 2

bucktalk
08-15-2019, 05:37 PM
I'm giving serious thought about upgrading my lawn mower from gas to electric power. If any of you have had a good recommendation/experience with an electric lawn mower I would appreciate your insight!

I don't want to invest my hard earned money on a mower that can't 'cut it'. Help? residential

BBatesokc
08-15-2019, 08:05 PM
I've been mowing with an Ego brand rechargeable mower for a few years now. Love it. Zero issues with it. I also use their weed eater, chainsaw, tree trimer, blower, etc.

acumpton
08-16-2019, 04:30 AM
This is only our second year using it, but our Kobalt has been great. We will never go back to a gas powered mower. The electric ones are so much quieter and easier to maintain.

cam2017
08-16-2019, 07:02 AM
I can also vouch for the Ego brand. I use them for all of lawn care stuff for two years now and haven't had any issues.

RustytheBailiff
08-16-2019, 07:19 AM
I've been using a Greenworks Lawnmower for the past three years and love it -- the advantages of battery power over small gasoline engines is tremendous. It always starts the first time, has absolutely no odor, is fairly quiet, no excess heat from the motor, no need to purchase or store gasoline. I liked the mower so much I ended up getting a string trimmer, hedge clipper, blower, and tiller.

MadMonk
08-16-2019, 08:13 AM
I don't have the mower, but I can second the recommendation for the Ego products. I have the weed trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower and they've been fantastic.

Pete
08-16-2019, 08:17 AM
If I didn't have a relatively new and well-working gas mower I would spring for the full line of Ego stuff.

On top of everything else, the mower folds and then you can stand it on its end to store when not in use. You can't do that with a regular mower without spilling oil and gas all over the place; or completely draining it which is a hassle in itself.

It's a small thing but it matters to me, as I have a neat and tidy garage and all year long I have a mower taking up space even when my grass is dormant during the fall and winter.

Maybe next spring I'll Craigslist my current mower and go all-in on Ego.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/egomower1.jpg

Roger S
08-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Pete my Toro gas powered is designed for fold up storage and stands on end.

With that said... had I known about these when I bought it two years ago... I would have gone this route just to dump the hassle of filling and storing gas cans.

Pete
08-16-2019, 08:39 AM
I may start down the Ego path this fall and buy one of their high-powered blowers.

I have a big backyard with over 30 trees and I have to find a better way of dealing with the avalanche of leaves that fall over a period of about 4 months.

BBatesokc
08-16-2019, 10:32 AM
I may start down the Ego path this fall and buy one of their high-powered blowers.

I have a big backyard with over 30 trees and I have to find a better way of dealing with the avalanche of leaves that fall over a period of about 4 months.

We had their backpack blower and got rid of it and got their handheld wand style. Love it. That said, we do also have a commercial gas one (two+ acres of trees) but the EGO gets used several times a week for the patios, garage and such.

My first Ego purchase was the weed eater. Loved it.

We buy all our Ego products used online. Never once had an issue.

Only thing to keep in mind, if the battery sits more than 30 days on the charger it discharges to like 30%. I have a wall of 8 batteries, so I have to keep them in rotation.

MadMonk
08-16-2019, 01:13 PM
I've got a little over an acre and the weed trimmer with the 2500Ah battery lasts for almost all my trimming needs. But since I purchased my other Ego products with batteries and chargers I always have an battery ready to go when one runs out. I use a zero turn for my yard and have a small push mower for the parts I can't get to with the zero turn. Whenever that one dies I plan on getting one of the Ego mowers to fill in for that duty. It's amazing how much power their trimmers have while still being able to last a long time.

When I first started looking into buying a new weed trimmer a coworker let me borrow his Ego so I could see how well it worked and how long it lasted. I had it over a weekend and by Monday I was sold on it. The only thing I miss about my old gas blower is that it also had the ability to be used as a vacuum and mulcher. Worked great for those fall leaves.

AnguisHerba
08-27-2019, 05:40 PM
I bought a Ryobi 40v 20in electric lawn mower (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-in-40-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Walk-Behind-Push-Lawn-Mower-5-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included-RY40180-Y/304597920) this year and I love it. I have a smaller lot, but it usually only uses about 50-60% of the battery to do my entire yard - even when it's high/thick.

Like Pete mentioned about the Ego, it folds up and stands on it's end. That was a big deal for me. Ryobi makes a more expensive self-propelled version, but I wouldn't recommend it. The mower is already light and easy to push, the propulsion would just use more battery.

bucktalk
08-28-2019, 06:45 AM
I appreciate all the great recommendations! Love it! One more question: is there a better time when to purchase an electric mower? Do prices drop any during fall/winter months so a mower is discounted? Anyone know?

Lazio85
08-28-2019, 07:51 AM
I have a Snapper XD and mulch everything. It comes with two batteries, 82 volts, and handles my flat 1/3 acre lot just fine.

loveOKC
08-28-2019, 08:22 AM
I appreciate all the great recommendations! Love it! One more question: is there a better time when to purchase an electric mower? Do prices drop any during fall/winter months so a mower is discounted? Anyone know?

Home Depot/Lowe’s has their Black Friday and Spring Black Friday sales. But you can also catch weed eaters and mowers on sale at the end of mowing season

Also check the clearance section of both Lowe’s and Home Depot. I don’t see much from EGO. But at any given time there is usually Black and Decker, Ryobi and other battery powered lawn equipment.

checkthat
08-28-2019, 08:34 AM
This is my third season with the Kobalt 80v mower from Lowe's. It has been great and is easily as powerful as a gas mower. Came with two batteries that last about 40 minutes each. They charge in 30 minutes or so and that let's you mow/trim all day. I also got the trimmer, cultivator, and backpack blower. The 80v trimmer can accept universal attachments but if I recall the 40v model does not. There is a chainsaw and a pole saw available that use the same battery.

Since the mower came with two batteries, I just bought the "equipment only" version of the other tools from the website. That saved a ton over the models that include the battery. They have a new version of the mower available this year with an even more powerful and longer lasting battery. I may pick that up next year. The only knock may be that the mower blade is too thin to sharpen. A new blade runs about $20. All in all, I highly recommend the electric setup.

cappa
08-28-2019, 08:46 AM
I bought the EGO 56V self-propelled mower a couple weeks ago at Home Depot - that thing is awesome. Battery should last long enough to mow any regular residential-sized lawn, but even if it didn't it charges super fast anyway. I don't store mine vertically but having the ability to easily bring it vertical to clean the built-up grass on the bottom is a huge plus. You can tote the thing around like a rolly suitcase lol. I'm super pleased with it so far, and the reviews on Home Depot's website as well as sentiment on this thread can back that up.

Pete
08-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Glad to see there are at least some of us who still do our own lawn work!

I've always found it therapeutic and satisfying.

Roger S
08-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Same along with my farm work on the weekends.... I started mowing lawns commercially when I was 10 years old and I still take a lot of pride in having one of the nicest yards on the block. When I moved in 6 years ago my lawn was dirt and dandelions and now there isn't a dandelion in sight.

turnpup
08-28-2019, 12:51 PM

This, with my flower and shrub gardening (basic mowing/edging/blowing gets farmed out). Almost-instant gratification, unlike so many other things in life.

Pete
08-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Same along with my farm work on the weekends.... I started mowing lawns commercially when I was 10 years old and I still take a lot of pride in having one of the nicest yards on the block. When I moved in 6 years ago my lawn was dirt and dandelions and now there isn't a dandelion in sight.

I'll have to post a before and after of my yard... It was a nightmare of dirt and weeds when I bought my house a couple of years ago.

Still trying to get rid of some crabgrass but already looks a million times better.

FighttheGoodFight
08-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Looks like Ego takes the cake on Consumer reports. (also hope everyone knows you get Consumer Reports included in your OKC Metro Library Card!)

https://i.imgur.com/HURY69j.png

Roger S
08-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Still trying to get rid of some crabgrass but already looks a million times better.

I'm constantly battling it creeping from my neighbors yards but for the most part have eradicated it from mine.

One of my neighbors always comments on how nice mine looks and I told her she was mowing hers to short. I even set her mower to the correct height for her a few years ago and then in the spring she dropped it back down and scalps it every week.... Her weeds love it!

turnpup
08-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Looks like Ego takes the cake on Consumer reports. (also hope everyone knows you get Consumer Reports included in your OKC Metro Library Card!)

I wasn't aware of Consumer Reports being included with a library card. Thanks for letting us know!

FighttheGoodFight
08-29-2019, 09:54 AM
I wasn't aware of Consumer Reports being included with a library card. Thanks for letting us know!

You bet! http://ezproxy.metrolibrary.org:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&custid=s8381174&site=crcro&return=y&groupid=main

That is the link and you login with your Library Card number and your last name as the password. I have it saved in my bookmarks!

bucktalk
03-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Just bought the EGO 21" self propelled cordless mower and EGO weed eater. Batteries are charging and my fingers are crossed that they perform as well as most of the reviews state. It would be great to NOT have to mess with oil/gas and the aroma they emit like from my gas mowers. I started the new mower briefly and I must say it sounds like it'll have plenty of power. Once the grass is tall enough for my first mowing I'll see how much power it actually has. If successful the cordless mower could be a game changer for a lot of people.

BBatesokc
03-07-2020, 09:25 AM
Just bought the EGO 21" self propelled cordless mower and EGO weed eater. Batteries are charging and my fingers are crossed that they perform as well as most of the reviews state. It would be great to NOT have to mess with oil/gas and the aroma they emit like from my gas mowers. I started the new mower briefly and I must say it sounds like it'll have plenty of power. Once the grass is tall enough for my first mowing I'll see how much power it actually has. If successful the cordless mower could be a game changer for a lot of people.

You should like it. I just used mine this morning. Only things it doesn't do as well as my gas mower are: it's no good with wet grass and it's not very good at mulching up heavy leaf fall.

bucktalk
03-07-2020, 09:30 AM
You should like it. I just used mine this morning. Only things it doesn't do as well as my gas mower are: it's no good with wet grass and it's not very good at mulching up heavy leaf fall. Good info, thanks! I plan on using the mulcher most of the time but the conditions will have to be just right it sounds like. Can you mow all your yard space with one charge or does it take more than one charge?

BBatesokc
03-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Good info, thanks! I plan on using the mulcher most of the time but the conditions will have to be just right it sounds like. Can you mow all your yard space with one charge or does it take more than one charge?

Well... I'm on 2.5 acres... so. No. I actually have mowed the entire thing with it a few times when my Zero Turn was in the shop. Had to change out the batteries and just keep going. I have a quick charger too, so it doesn't take long between charges (enough time to weed eat, etc.).

If mulching leaves, I try and do it between mows or every few days. If the leaves get thick the mower will bog down and it drains the battery.

chuck5815
03-07-2020, 11:00 AM
I'm giving serious thought about upgrading my lawn mower from gas to electric power. If any of you have had a good recommendation/experience with an electric lawn mower I would appreciate your insight!

I don't want to invest my hard earned money on a mower that can't 'cut it'. Help? residential

that's not really an upgrade imo, but if you're going to do it, make sure to get a Swardman. you won't be sorry:

https://www.swardman.com/us/reel-mowers/

BBatesokc
03-07-2020, 11:44 AM
that's not really an upgrade imo, but if you're going to do it, make sure to get a Swardman. you won't be sorry:

https://www.swardman.com/us/reel-mowers/

$3,000 (to start), for a walk behind electric mower -- if nothing else, my wallet would be sorry.

bucktalk
04-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Took my new EGO battery powered mower out for the first time today. I'm greatly surprised how quietly it runs and how much power it has! Plus the self-propelled feature was extra strong. My yard is fairly small so there was plenty of battery life left. Of course this was day 1. We'll see how things go by the end of the mowing season.

AP
04-09-2020, 02:10 PM
I've thought about going the EGO route. I'd be interested in your review midseason if you don't mind giving an update.

BBatesokc
04-09-2020, 05:31 PM
I mow with mine weekly and have for a few years now. Zero issues.

I noticed the other day that Home Depot on Broadway in Edmond had 4 returned units for sale in the parking lot. Two looked brand new. $199 each - a steal as long as you get the battery and charger with it. I saw at least two had those things.

Pete
04-09-2020, 05:39 PM
I just bought the Ego wand blower and holy heck that thing has power. Made quick work of my huge backyard with dozens of trees.

I'll buy the line trimmer and hedge trimmer next but my gas mower is fine for now; will be looking for a reason to replace it with the Ego version.

bombermwc
04-10-2020, 07:26 AM
Saw this for a first time the other day....

Neighbor has an electric mower, not self-propelled. It's a corded one, didn't catch the brand.

Anyway, he always has to move quite slowly because it mulches, but darned if when he was done ALL of the dandylions he had in his yard are STILL STANDING! The grass is all cut but those dandylions are standing like trees on the plains. It's so funny!

bucktalk
04-10-2020, 08:37 AM
I just bought the Ego wand blower and holy heck that thing has power. Made quick work of my huge backyard with dozens of trees.

I'll buy the line trimmer and hedge trimmer next but my gas mower is fine for now; will be looking for a reason to replace it with the Ego version.

I also bought the EGO Weed Eater and it has a ton of power and its weight is fairly light.

bucktalk
04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
I've thought about going the EGO route. I'd be interested in your review midseason if you don't mind giving an update.

Sure, I'd be glad to!

PaddyShack
04-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Does anyone use/have an electric zero-turn? I see a few models at Lowes and HD but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

BBatesokc
04-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Does anyone use/have an electric zero-turn? I see a few models at Lowes and HD but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

I'm dying for one of my neighbors to get one so I can try it. My concerns however are;
1. ) I need an affordable option that is wider than 42" (I have approx. 2.5 acres).
2.) I see no way to power my pull behind sprayer. This is a deal breaker as I save a ton of money by spraying my own yard.
3.) I have my doubts that there is enough power to handle a fairly steep hill I have that leads to my pond.
4.) Looks like current models lack the amenities my commercial zero turn has (shocks all around, including the seat, upgraded build overall).

Dustin
04-11-2020, 10:54 AM
I have a Ryobi 40V lithium brushless electric mower and it's the best lawn mower I've ever had. It's not self propelled, but it's extremely lightweight so it's not an issue. It cuts beautifully and the battery is long lasting. If you have a larger front and backyard like I do, you might want to buy an extra battery so you're not waiting to charge your one battery before mowing the next swath. Highly recommend!

FighttheGoodFight
04-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Robot lawn mowers are dropping in price now days. Great solution that just does its own thing. Just a few years ago they were 3500 for a 1.25 acre model. That has dropped a ton already.

Pete
04-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Robot lawn mowers are dropping in price now days. Great solution that just does its own thing. Just a few years ago they were 3500 for a 1.25 acre model. That has dropped a ton already.

Very interesting idea. I see a highy-rated Worx version for under $1K.

Edging and blowing would remain, however. And you can't bag the clippings.

bucktalk
06-21-2020, 07:21 AM
Update: I've used my new battery powered mower/weed eater several times this summer. I can report it works GREAT! I'm shocked how much power they have in addition to how quickly the batteries charge up. Beyond that I like how quiet they run. Plus they are easy to clean because there is no oil/gas for grass clippings to cling to. At this point I'd have to give this an A+ for exceeding expectations.

Pete
06-21-2020, 07:46 AM
My EGO trimmer has been a disaster.

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

And with that big battery, it's awkward to use.

Really like the hedge trimmer and blower, though.

emtefury
06-21-2020, 08:47 AM

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

I recommend the linked Ryobi. I have owned one for going on the third season and no issues. I owned the previous Ryobi version for more than four (bought it used so don’t life span). It also doubles as an edger.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-P2080/206451828

FighttheGoodFight
06-21-2020, 08:56 AM
I recommend the linked Ryobi. I have owned one for going on the third season and no issues. I owned the previous Ryobi version for more than four (bought it used so don’t life span). It also doubles as an edger.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-P2080/206451828

+1 for Ryobi. Just make sure to get the higher AMP batteries and not the lowest tier ones.

jaredlovesivanka
06-21-2020, 10:22 AM

I have a Greenworks 80V string trimmer that works like a charm. Battery provides plenty of power and it works on the first start every time. Line feed seems to work fairly well, at least as good as gas power toros and other brands that I've had in the past, but not as good as the honda line trimmer I had. I have switch all my household tools to electric - much easier to maintain, never a problem starting, no oil and gas mixtures to worry about or fumes to smell. Plus electric motors tend to be quite a bit quieter than gas engines. I wish all my neighbors would switch.

TheTravellers
06-21-2020, 03:14 PM
+1 for Ryobi. Just make sure to get the higher AMP batteries and not the lowest tier ones.

+2 for the Ryobi. Only issue I have with it is it can only hold 9' of line, which can run out after not-very-many runs of trimming if you have a big yard, so I ended up getting another spool that I keep fully loaded so I can just swap it out when it runs out in the middle of a job.

BoulderSooner
06-22-2020, 08:37 AM
+2 for the Ryobi. Only issue I have with it is it can only hold 9' of line, which can run out after not-very-many runs of trimming if you have a big yard, so I ended up getting another spool that I keep fully loaded so I can just swap it out when it runs out in the middle of a job.

+3 for the ryobi ... have now had it for 3 months and just also started doing the extra spool stand by

GoGators
06-22-2020, 10:34 AM

Interesting. I never even thought about battery lawn equipment until this thread popped up last year. My gas trimmer bit the dust last July. Decided to pull the trigger on a battery one and a lot of people were saying good things about the EGO brand up thread so just went for the EGO. I've been pretty happy with it so far going into a year of having it. Was planning on going for the EGO mower when my current gas mower eventually calls it quits.

MadMonk
06-22-2020, 07:54 PM
Interesting. I never even thought about battery lawn equipment until this thread popped up last year. My gas trimmer bit the dust last July. Decided to pull the trigger on a battery one and a lot of people were saying good things about the EGO brand up thread so just went for the EGO. I've been pretty happy with it so far going into a year of having it. Was planning on going for the EGO mower when my current gas mower eventually calls it quits.

Yeah, that's a bummer about Pete's experience with the Ego trimmer. I'm in my 2nd season with mine and I love it. I have the blower and the hedge trimmer too. I have an older Toro push mower I use for spots that I can't get effectively with my riding mower, but when that reaches the end of its life, I'm definitely considering the Ego push mower to replace it.

bucktalk
06-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Pete, this is interesting about your trimmer. I initially had a bit of trouble threading the weed trimmer cord but once I had it installed the trimmer has worked great. Sorry you've had struggles with it.

bucktalk
06-27-2020, 05:41 PM

The mower is fantastic! Lots of power, quiet and storing it is amazing. I ended up with the self propelled EGO mower by mistake but the self propelled feature works great and has little impact on the battery usage thus far.

Pete
07-23-2020, 03:44 PM
No matter what I do, I cannot get the EGO trimmer to feed line. It never worked correctly out of the box.

I finally called their customer service line (after watching all types of youtube videos) and the wait was so long I just had them call me back.

Took several hours for the return call then spent 50 (!) minutes on the phone, culminating in them promising to send a brand new trimmer.

The guy was very helpful but it took forever.

Should get the new unit soon and hopefully it actually works.

GoGators
07-26-2020, 07:18 PM
The mower is fantastic! Lots of power, quiet and storing it is amazing. I ended up with the self propelled EGO mower by mistake but the self propelled feature works great and has little impact on the battery usage thus far.

My old gas mower died on me when I was 90 percent through today’s mow. Instead of trying to fix it I just immediately went out and bought the EGO mower. Only had a few passes left to try it out but I am already impressed with it. I picked up the EGO edger a month ago It’s also surprisingly powerful imo.

TheSteveHunt
07-30-2020, 12:02 PM
Rushkoff talks about how odd it is that neighbors don't share a mower... anyone know of anyone
that does that? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Pete
07-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Rushkoff talks about how odd it is that neighbors don't share a mower... anyone know of anyone
that does that? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Almost no one cuts their own grass anymore.

In my own modest neighborhood, none of my neighbors do.

FighttheGoodFight
07-30-2020, 12:47 PM

I'm the only one on my street except an older Vietnam Vet who takes great care of his lawn.

MadMonk
07-30-2020, 01:19 PM

That's odd to me. Nearly everyone in our HOA (only 28 houses) cuts their own yards. I only know of one home that pays for lawn service, but and they are pretty elderly, so that's no surprise.