View Full Version : Wonderful Detroit

Curt
10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
I guess this gives me the right to go out and get drunk and drive home..the way I see it as long as I dont hit anyone I should be fine if I get pulled over..after all an officer only gets probation for killing someone..so as long as I dont kill anyone I should be fine.

Detroit Officer Gets Probation In Drunken-Driving Death
POSTED: 9:32 pm EDT October 26, 2005
UPDATED: 9:41 pm EDT October 26, 2005
DETROIT -- A former Detroit police officer who pleaded guilty in the death of a pedestrian he hit while driving drunk was sentenced Wednesday to two years of probation. Steven Compton, 25, of Harper Woods, pleaded guilty in September to causing a death while driving drunk, which carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison. Police said Compton was off duty and leaving a downtown bar about 2:30 a.m. Jan. 30 when he hit a patch of ice on an Interstate 75 service drive and struck pedestrian Marvin Shaina, 19, of Sterling Heights. Police said Compton's blood-alcohol level was 0.11 percent. A level of 0.08 percent or higher constitutes drunkenness under Michigan law. "I would have rather lost my life in the line of duty than to have caused so much pain," Compton said before Wayne County Circuit Judge Thomas Jackson sentenced him. "Words simply cannot express the pain I feel." Shaina was born in Baghdad, Iraq, and worked as a cook at a restaurant in Detroit's Greektown entertainment district. Members of his family had asked that Jackson sentence Compton to prison. "How is this man getting off free?" asked brother Martin Shaina, 25. In a Sept. 19 report, the judge said that an "unfortunate confluence of circumstances" caused the fatal crash. He said they included poor lighting and the fact that Shaina was "jogging along the expressway service drive and not on a sidewalk."

PUGalicious
10-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Outrageous. I don't understand why being drunk seemingly absolves someone of the full responsibility of their actions. That's why drunk driving continues to be a problem.

Curt
10-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Outrageous. I don't understand why being drunk seemingly absolves someone of the full responsibility of their actions. That's why drunk driving continues to be a problem.
It is totally outrageous. Especially when an officer of the law breaks the same laws we are supposed to follow. For that reason I think when an officer or a law maker themselves are found guilty of breaking the law.. they should get a stiffer penalty than the rest of us.

metro
10-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Outrageous. I agree if anything he should of got a stricter sentence since he enforces the law. Goes to show police corruption. Similar to how they get away with speeding