View Full Version : Paw Park No Longer Free

jn1780
06-18-2019, 06:20 AM
I bet this will make a lot of people unhappy.
https://oklahoman.com/article/5634160/oklahoma-city-dog-park-to-start-charging-usage-fee

bombermwc
06-18-2019, 06:45 AM
They think someone is going to pay for their dog to run and poop somewhere?

jn1780
06-18-2019, 07:06 AM

I'm sure they can find enough people to pay those fees if their still living in an apartment. Now its pretty much an exclusive dog club.

I wonder how it works if your a dog sitter/walker? The article makes it sound like its per household. How is that fair if someone brings several dogs there?

Ward
06-18-2019, 10:52 AM
If you want to dance you have to pay the band.

“I never have cash, and I’m shuffling a kid and a dog,” she said.“

No excuse. Go get $5 or $10 cash and donate.

jn1780
06-18-2019, 11:40 AM
If you want to dance you have to pay the band.

“I never have cash, and I’m shuffling a kid and a dog,” she said.“

No excuse. Go get $5 or $10 cash and donate.

Or go to the park next door? I went there once with my dog, but I don't think I can justify 10 dollars for a fence and to be part of a doggy social club. Plus, Scissortail park will have some kind of dog walk area.

Maybe I don't love my dog enough. I probably would pay pre-kid. lol

Stew
06-18-2019, 12:15 PM
I'd be in favor of it if it keeps out the riffraff. If I had a dog I'd like to think I'd be the kind of pet owner ( hope that's not an offensive term) that would only associate my dog with dogs of equal class and community standing. One must be perspicacious when it comes to socializing ones pet (again I hope that's not an offensive term).

Mel
06-18-2019, 05:51 PM
I'd be in favor of it if it keeps out the riffraff. If I had a dog I'd like to think I'd be the kind of pet owner ( hope that's not an offensive term) that would only associate my dog with dogs of equal class and community standing. One must be perspicacious when it comes to socializing ones pet (again I hope that's not an offensive term).

Do you realize how hard it is for Dogs to stick their pinky toe whilst drinking? Too much social pressure.

bombermwc
06-19-2019, 07:25 AM
HAHAHAHA, yeah im pretty sure they'll take a poo anywhere.

If you're at an apartment, there's still plenty of space to walk your down no matter where you are. Just take the baggie with you like they would anywhere else. I can't imaging paying money to go to a dog park.

riffraff dogs...buahahahaha

LocoAko
06-19-2019, 08:02 AM

I probably would. Of course no one (I don't think?) is taking their dog to the dog park just to use the bathroom. But I have an extremely energetic dog (blue heeler/Dalmatian/pit mix) that needs a huge fenced-in area to be able to run in, especially with other dogs. We take him to daycare once a week for the same reason. Plus, Paw Park offers a place for them to swim (which is probably riddled with germs and God knows what else, but that's for another day...). I'm open to other ideas about fenced-in areas where I can let him off leash, but it offers more than what my backyard already does. I'm more curious about how effective the proposed key system will be and if it results in less dogs attending, since part of the appeal for us is our dog getting to play with the others.

BBatesokc
06-19-2019, 08:40 AM
People spend billions on their dogs every year; daycare, clothing, 'bakery' items, pampering, and on and on.... If done right you can definitely charge for access or 'membership' to a dog park.

I have my doubt though if this will be "done right."

jn1780
06-19-2019, 08:52 AM
People spend billions on their dogs every year; daycare, clothing, 'bakery' items, pampering, and on and on.... If done right you can definitely charge for access or 'membership' to a dog park.

I have my doubt though if this will be "done right."

Very true. The issue is that once you start charging, your basically a business at that point competing with other businesses offering services. Don't get me wrong, 10 dollars is nothing compared to doggy daycare's, but once people open up their wallets they start expecting more and wanting other services.

BBatesokc
06-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Very true. The issue is that once you start charging, your basically a business at that point competing with other businesses offering services. Don't get me wrong, 10 dollars is nothing compared to doggy daycare's, but once people open up their wallets they start expecting more and wanting other services.

I agree. I think there is a market for pet owners who want 'exclusivity.' A well maintained dog park with both indoor and outdoor facilities, bathing areas, no unruly dogs, mandatory shots, organized activities etc.

But, if you're just taking what used to be free and expecting people to pay...... good luck.

bombermwc
06-20-2019, 06:55 AM
I may be the minority here, but im seeing the same people that pay for dog daycare as the ones that would pay for this. I'll keep the personal opinion comments to myself on how I feel about that whole setup......cough cough.

But that does spur another conversation. Selecting the right dog for your living situation and lifestyle. Too often people pick a dog because they want a particular breed but they should be looking at the size of their yard and what their energy level is. If you have a small yard (or live in an apt) and dont want to run them regularly, then a Lab probably isn't for you. If you have an inside dog that has to stay in a crate all day while you're at work, then that's probably not the dog choice for you either....it's not fair to the dog. Just my opinion here so whatever its worth, the fact that we're looking at needing things like this (a pay park), makes me think that the people purchasing those dogs didn't make a wise decision.

RedDollar
06-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Heck, just take your dog to South Lake Park. I quit taking my dog there because every time I go we'd have a confrontation with someone running their dogs off the leash.

Very few people use the park everyone goes to Earlywine, which is only a mile away. My theory, when someone takes their dog to the park, they think they can let it run off leash because no one is there. And people quit going, because of they see dogs off the leash. Its circular.

And City can't/won't enforce the leash law there, the odds of getting a ticket are miniscule. Just don't go on weekends during kids soccer season.

soonerguru
08-16-2019, 03:13 PM
I was sorry to see this a few weeks back.