View Full Version : MAPS 4 River Improvements

Pete
05-29-2019, 04:31 AM
Presented to the OKC Riverfront Redevelopment Authority yesterday (5/28):

Background
The mayor and City Council are seeking suggestions for possible MAPS 4 projects. In Spring 2019, the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority (OCRRA) Development and Water Use Committee (Committee) met repeatedly to discuss Oklahoma River-related projects suitable for MAPS 4. Those meetings produced the following list, which comprises OCRRA's MAPS 4 proposal. Any project may be phased if the total, estimated cost cannot be funded through MAPS 4.
For each item, staff prepared a description and cost estimate, if available. On May 28, 2019, the Committee is scheduled to make a recommendation on this Report. If OCRRA receives this Report, staff will prepare a related letter to the mayor.

Bicycle/Pedestrian Links to the Oklahoma River/West River Trails
OCRRA supports completion of the Oklahoma City Trails System. This item would provide for previously identified, but unfunded, connections from the River Corridor to the Trails System. It could help close the "loops" envisioned in the Trails System and better link the River Corridor to neighborhoods and other destinations. Estimated Cost: $2,200,000.

Park/Trail Amenities Along the Oklahoma River Corridor
OCRRA supports funding new amenities along the Oklahoma River/West River Trails. They could include, but not be limited to, drinking fountains, restrooms, shade structures, etc. Such improvements would further activate the River Trails, facilitate trail use, and encourage residents to pursue healthy lifestyles. These amenities would complement a recent Oklahoma City Community Foundation project to plant 800 trees on the north shore of the Oklahoma River. That project's master plan called for hardscape elements that could be included in this request. Estimated Cost: $1,200,000.

River Park Equestrian Development
River Park has the potential to be one of the City’s premier specialty parks, having been
designated an equestrian park in 2016. OCRRA supports full implementation of the
Equestrian Park Master Plan, which envisions a range of equestrian-related amenities for
River Park. They include a working livery stable; a multi-use indoor arena; arena-polo
facilities; a welcome center; and expanded trailer parking. MAPS 4 funding could
continue the development made possible by recent, City-funded infrastructure
improvements to River Park and separate grant funding for an Oklahoma River Cruises
landing. The amenities specified in the Equestrian Park Master Plan could make River
Park a regional destination for horse enthusiasts and tourists seeking to experience
“authentic” western culture in an urban environment. Estimated Cost: $26,000,000.

Equestrian Trails Along the Oklahoma River
OCRRA supports this companion item to the River Park equestrian development. It
would provide equestrian connectivity between River Park, Stockyards City, and the
American Indian Cultural Center and Museum (AICCM). By employing multiple
equestrian-use bridges along the trail route, the equestrian trails would offer a separate,
self-contained transportation route for horse riders without impeding the established
bike/pedestrian network. The equestrian trails would be a vital element for increasing
tourism along the River Corridor. Estimated Cost: $8,500,000.

Prairie Park Improvements
OCRRA supports development of this 409-acre site, which would become one of the
City’s newest and largest regional parks. It would serve as a premier destination in Ward
7 and “bookend” the eastern River Corridor. MAPS 4 funding would allow for
implementation of the Prairie Park Master Plan. It includes a large swimming beach
(complete with beach-grade sand) that can accommodate 3,000 bathers, a bathhouse and
concession building, life guard stations, a boat rental area, beach volleyball courts, sports
fields, walking paths, ADA accessible nature trails, a playground, restrooms, parking, and
other infrastructure. The proposed regional park would also be suitable to host a variety
of special events. Estimated Cost: $69,000,000.

Crystal Lake Park Improvements
OCRRA supports improvements allowing Crystal Lake Park to realize its full potential as
the western “bookend” of the River Corridor. The approximately 100-acre park features
rustic surroundings and a large lake encircled by part of the West River Trail. MAPS 4
funds could provide upgraded fishing access, improved parking and roadways, additional
recreation amenities, ADA enhancements, and other landscape/hardscape elements.
Estimated cost: Unknown.

Aquarium (if Located on, or Adjacent to, OCRRA Property)
OCRRA supports inclusion of a world-class aquarium, if it were located on, or adjacent
to, OCRRA property (e.g., south of Bass Pro, etc.). The facility could serve as a major
educational exhibit and tourist destination. The aquarium could offer unique experiences
and become an iconic attraction, linking to the Boathouse District, the AICCM,
Bricktown, and other prime destinations in central Oklahoma City. Estimated Cost:
Unknown.

Infrastructure for Future Development Opportunities at Western Avenue
OCRRA supports infrastructure improvements to prepare for development of OCRRA
property north of the Oklahoma River and west of Western Avenue. It is located near a
picturesque wetland area across from the Wheeler District. The property offers high
visibility and quick access from Interstate 40. It also abuts the Oklahoma City
Community Foundation River Trail, which recently underwent an extensive
beautification project. Development of this site could offer residents and visitors new
dining or retail options and contribute to the City’s tax base. MAPS 4 improvements
would provide zoning updates, water and sewer infrastructure, a floodplain study, and
other incidental services and basic appurtenances needed to produce a developable
property. Estimated Cost: $1,100,000.

Improvements Adjacent to the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum
OCRRA supports funding improvements to facilitate development of City property
adjacent the AICCM, which will showcase the history and culture of Oklahoma’s Native
American tribes. The AICCM is scheduled to open in Spring 2021. It sits at a highly
visible location along the Oklahoma River and is expected to be an international tourist
destination. The Chickasaw Nation owns about 120 acres adjacent to the AICCM that
will likely include mixed-use development. MAPS 4 funding could offer recreational
amenities, trail expansions/connectivity, an additional Oklahoma River Cruises landing,
etc., to spur further private investment near the complex. Estimated Cost: Unknown.

Additional Oklahoma River Dam
OCRRA supports expanding the Oklahoma River east of Interstate 35. Construction of a
fourth Oklahoma River dam would add navigable waterway in the heart of Ward 7 and
could spur millions of dollars of additional private development along the River Corridor.
The project would expand the transformative power of the Oklahoma River and provide
additional recreational and programming opportunities. Estimated Cost: $22,500,000.

Disc Golf Course Near Lake Overholser
OCRRA supports construction of an additional, 18-hole disc golf course on OCRRA
property south of Lake Overholser. It would add a venue for this popular sport, in west
Oklahoma City, and enhance OCRRA’s inventory of active-recreation facilities. It would
also activate an undeveloped area of the River Corridor. Estimated Cost: $120,000.

catch22
05-29-2019, 09:51 AM
It feels like all of these interest groups and boards realize this will be the last of MAPS as we know it so they are all lining up to get all of their wishlist items taken care of.

thunderbird
05-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Building another dam would be amazing for eastward development, I only wish someone besides the City would pay for it. I would hope if the City built the dam at that price tag it would spur forced change on Reno east of Lincoln. Not sure that's the best use of $22.5M when all it does is encourage sprawl in a City the needs density to help existing spaces to thrive.

Perhaps that cash could be better put into Bricktown canal improvements/expansion. I think it would be awesome to limit the water taxi and encourage more self propelled options to bring a different demographic to the area.

I have no idea the feasibility of any of this but > Can you imagine being able to paddle from the Wheeler neighborhood down the river a bit, up through the park, through the existing canal and back around via the oklahoma river? I'm sure this is all impossible but I still want it!

thunderbird
05-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Where is this proposed Prairie Park at? I can't think of any area off the river with 400+ empty acres.

Prairie Park Improvements
OCRRA supports development of this 409-acre site, which would become one of the
City’s newest and largest regional parks. It would serve as a premier destination in Ward
7 and “bookend” the eastern River Corridor. MAPS 4 funding would allow for
implementation of the Prairie Park Master Plan. It includes a large swimming beach
(complete with beach-grade sand) that can accommodate 3,000 bathers, a bathhouse and
concession building, life guard stations, a boat rental area, beach volleyball courts, sports
fields, walking paths, ADA accessible nature trails, a playground, restrooms, parking, and
other infrastructure. The proposed regional park would also be suitable to host a variety
of special events. Estimated Cost: $69,000,000.

OkiePoke
05-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Didn't some people get sick from the river a few years back? Seems like making a swimming beach would require cleaning of the river.

Laramie
05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Didn't some people get sick from the river a few years back? Seems like making a swimming beach would require cleaning of the river.

I'm sure some kind of water purification would be apart of any swimming beach on the Oklahoma River; will this beach have any impact on Riversports Rapids?

You're looking at a starting cost of no less than $400 million if all of these projects are implemented--exclusive of the new arena & soccer-American football stadium. The quality tourist Aquarium on OCRRA Property would require at least $100 million.

You're probably correct Catch22: they are probably feeling it's the last of a MAPS referendum.

Pete
05-29-2019, 10:33 AM
I believe this would be the general plan:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/maps4river.jpg

Laramie
05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
This does address some of those neglected areas of our city where a project like this could spur more needed development.

Crystal Lake, that's at the Edward Park Addition.

Good find, looks great Pete, Thanks

TheTravellers
05-29-2019, 10:40 AM

https://oklahoman.com/article/3376594/oklahoma-river-water-caused-triathletes-illness-health-department-says

thunderbird
05-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Wow, that is east! I know the area could use more development but I wonder if this is just scrambling to compete with Tulsa has with Gathering Place in someway....

It doesn't make sense to build more recreational river spots of this scale away from what we are already so HEAVILY invested in and everything we do doesn't need to be the biggest and best (do we really need 3000 people swimming in one place?). I think a scaled down version of this would fit nicely somewhere between Wheeler and the rapids park.

Anonymous.
05-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Perhaps that cash could be better put into Bricktown canal improvements/expansion. I think it would be awesome to limit the water taxi and encourage more self propelled options to bring a different demographic to the area.

I have no idea the feasibility of any of this but > Can you imagine being able to paddle from the Wheeler neighborhood down the river a bit, up through the park, through the existing canal and back around via the oklahoma river? I'm sure this is all impossible but I still want it!

This is an amazing idea that I have not thought of before. Remove the tourist taxis and expand the canal, then open the entire water to recreational kayaking and paddleboarding. Basically a bootleg Colorado River downtown Austin.

aDark
05-29-2019, 12:47 PM
This is the most exciting MAPS 4 element I've seen to date. The river is a great asset but needs to be built out. Connecting trails will go a long way in encouraging use of the system we have. Other than the aquarium and equestrian elements of this proposal I am 100% on board. I'm sure the equestrian community is hugely behind this I just don't see their impact on our City, but it is a group which I have no ties to.

The disc golf course proposal is super exciting. I am an avid disc golfer (and amateur course designer) and the OKC courses are packed every weekend. That $120,000.00 will go a long way and that course will get plenty of use!

jonny d
05-29-2019, 12:55 PM
No sense having all the river lands developed by the city. Have a few key areas developed to help spur private development (with retail, housing, hotels, etc). Putting 50 parks on there or 700 miles of trails (hyperbole for effect) helps very minimally, in my opinion.

Pete
05-29-2019, 12:59 PM

I may have this wrong... Prairie Park could be the area to the south of Crystal Lake on either side of the river.

Johnb911
05-29-2019, 01:48 PM

I believe Crystal Lake is the western end, out southeast of Overholsure and the Outlet malls

https://goo.gl/maps/bV5FqPFUHyfvtgiQ8

Zuplar
05-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Crystal Lake is on SW15th just West of Macarthur.

Pete
05-29-2019, 02:06 PM
What I labeled Crystal Lake should be Lost Lakes.

jccouger
05-29-2019, 02:36 PM
It doesn't make sense to build more recreational river spots of this scale away from what we are already so HEAVILY invested in and everything we do doesn't need to be the biggest and best (do we really need 3000 people swimming in one place?). I think a scaled down version of this would fit nicely somewhere between Wheeler and the rapids park.

I don't get this train of thought at all.

SouthSide
05-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Ward 7 seems to have gained some pull in the city.

Plutonic Panda
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM
This could be OKC’s version of Gathering Place.

ChrisHayes
05-30-2019, 03:55 AM
I've thought for years that the river improvements should extend further east as there's a lot of open land by the river in that direction. I'd go as far as saying it should be brother further west as well. Maybe all the way to city limits.

dcsooner
05-30-2019, 05:56 AM
I think the City should in MAPS 4 solicit ideas for repurposing all of the 13 schools being closed. Repurposing for the distinct needs of the particular district (recreational, educational, seniors services, youth services etc.) would go a long way in insuring the properties do not fall into disrepair and become an eyesore. This also would funnel funds outside the city core, something many have proposed.

BoulderSooner
05-30-2019, 06:29 AM
This could be OKC’s version of Gathering Place.

this would not be like the gathering place in any way

shawnw
05-30-2019, 06:29 AM
During path to greatness there was a pretty extensive survey conducted by OKCPS getting input about what should happen to vacated buildings.

dcsooner
05-30-2019, 06:39 AM
During path to greatness there was a pretty extensive survey conducted by OKCPS getting input about what should happen to vacated buildings.

Will the recommendations come with Funding to implement?

Mballard85
05-30-2019, 07:07 AM

I read that as more of a draw from other areas of the state/region, not a top of the line park targeting kids.

onthestrip
05-30-2019, 08:53 AM
$34,500,000 for equestrian things along the river? Not sure how I feel about that.

As for a beach, I dont think that should be or can be done on the river. However, the city could build a lagoon somewhere near there. There are now man made lagoons that have beaches and technology to keep them clean. Would be really cool imo. A few links for examples below.
https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/latest-news/crystal-lagoons-opens-first-crystal-clear-lagoon-in-the-u-s/
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/grand-opening-this-weekend-for-massive-man-made-lagoon-in-wesley-chapel

HOT ROD
05-30-2019, 09:08 AM
$34,500,000 for equestrian things along the river? Not sure how I feel about that.

As for a beach, I dont think that should be or can be done on the river. However, the city could build a lagoon somewhere near there. There are now man made lagoons that have beaches and technology to keep them clean. Would be really cool imo. A few links for examples below.
https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/latest-news/crystal-lagoons-opens-first-crystal-clear-lagoon-in-the-u-s/
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/grand-opening-this-weekend-for-massive-man-made-lagoon-in-wesley-chapel

oh, I think it is stupid and along with the $8.5M for more equestrian trials should be removed. Why can't OKC focus this western stuff in Stockyard's City? It already has the theme and is a budding district waiting for investment but we keep avoiding it and coming up with stupid crap like Urban Western river while at the same time wanting an Olympic rowing facility and pedestrian beach. Who wants to be in water after it has been utilized by horses upstream?

Put the $46.5M equestrian in Stockyard City for a huge boost to them expanding on the WESTERN theme city they already have - make it our tourist area for that theme and let the rest of the city be modern and for PEOPLE!!

GoldFire
05-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Why do people think this would be the last MAPS?

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Oh really? You seem to know a lot about this project. Please tell more.

GoGators
05-30-2019, 09:52 AM
I think the City should in MAPS 4 solicit ideas for repurposing all of the 13 schools being closed. Repurposing for the distinct needs of the particular district (recreational, educational, seniors services, youth services etc.) would go a long way in insuring the properties do not fall into disrepair and become an eyesore. This also would funnel funds outside the city core, something many have proposed.

Now this is a great idea dcsooner. And I don’t put a lot of stock in what was discussed during the “path to greatness” Imo it was mostly lip service to lessen the blow of the announcement. However, having allocated funds coming from MAPs to help ensure these buildings continue on to next best use is fantastic. And as you said spreads MAPs money around outside of the core.

jedicurt
05-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Why do people think this would be the last MAPS?

go back and read the MAPS 3 forum... most of those saying that about this one, were saying that about MAPS 3 as well... so i wouldn't put too much thought into why they think that... although it does seem that there are a few more who have jumped onto that bandwagon that i wouldn't have expected.

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2019, 09:55 AM
I read that as more of a draw from other areas of the state/region, not a top of the line park targeting kids.
Is that the Gathering Place’s modus operandi to attract kids? I know there are many features in it that do. My point was that these are both riverside parks and people often make the comparison of Scissortail Park to TGP but I completely disagree because of the surroundings and how the city around it will interact.

By your own statement you seem to imply this park will be more of a destination which is exactly what TGP is. I would hope this park built is a top of the line park. I had an idea for a Gathering Place style park I suggested early on in this area to be along a trail and new parkway that extends to connect with Edmond and Spurs more development in the east side.

BoulderSooner
05-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Is that the Gathering Place’s modus operandi to attract kids? I know there are many features in it that do. My point was that these are both riverside parks and people often make the comparison of Scissortail Park to TGP but I completely disagree because of the surroundings and how the city around it will interact.

By your own statement you seem to imply this park will be more of a destination which is exactly what TGP is. I would hope this park built is a top of the line park. I had an idea for a Gathering Place style park I suggested early on in this area to be along a trail and new parkway that extends to connect with Edmond and Spurs more development in the east side.

the gathering place is basicly only for kids

jccouger
05-30-2019, 10:20 AM
go back and read the MAPS 3 forum... most of those saying that about this one, were saying that about MAPS 3 as well... so i wouldn't put too much thought into why they think that... although it does seem that there are a few more who have jumped onto that bandwagon that i wouldn't have expected.

Map3 may end up being the last maps?

PaddyShack
05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
oh, I think it is stupid and along with the $8.5M for more equestrian trials should be removed. Why can't OKC focus this western stuff in Stockyard's City? It already has the theme and is a budding district waiting for investment but we keep avoiding it and coming up with stupid crap like Urban Western river while at the same time wanting an Olympic rowing facility and pedestrian beach. Who wants to be in water after it has been utilized by horses upstream?

Put the $46.5M equestrian in Stockyard City for a huge boost to them expanding on the WESTERN theme city they already have - make it our tourist area for that theme and let the rest of the city be modern and for PEOPLE!!

But the Stockyards are upstream from Downtown...

Plutonic Panda
05-30-2019, 10:23 AM
the gathering place is basicly only for kids
Interesting. Well we’ve certainly gathered it isn’t much for those with dogs except for certain days. But we’ll see how it plays out. Like I said, my comparison to this prospective park and TGP is more to do with setting and creating more of a destination park. If 200 million or so is too much up front for a new grand park here than that’s understandable without a philanthropist like Kaiser. However a basic sandbox with a master plan and something to start would be ideal with more added over time. I just hope any parking is structured and not like Moore’s where its surface parking takes up half of the park itself.

If the city really wanted to plan for the future perhaps a rail line to Tulsa could be constructed passing nearby this future park with a new transit hub for the east side with a spur going to tinker. Plan for TOD/C development around it and this park. Eventual twinning and electrification of such a track could be in order down the road. Just my two cents.

jedicurt
05-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Map3 may end up being the last maps?

yes... there were many on the MAPS 3 forum saying that if it passed with the convention Center no one wanted, and the street car, etc... that it would kill MAPS for the city going forward. that forum is full of those types of comments

jccouger
05-30-2019, 10:29 AM
yes... there were many on the MAPS 3 forum saying that if it passed with the convention Center no one wanted, and the street car, etc... that it would kill MAPS for the city going forward. that forum is full of those types of comments

Sorry, my ? made my statement confusing. I was saying that Maps 3 may actually end up being the last maps, the question mark was to emphasize that its left to be determined.

jedicurt
05-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Sorry, my ? made my statement confusing. I was saying that Maps 3 may actually end up being the last maps, the question mark was to emphasize that its left to be determined.

oh, touche... yes, if this one does not pass... it is possible that MAPS 3 was the last one.

OKCRT
05-30-2019, 04:34 PM
oh, touche... yes, if this one does not pass... it is possible that MAPS 3 was the last one.

Soccer stadiums and horse arenas could easily kill maps IMO. I'm sure they are needed but the majority of OKC residents would never use them and they would take a big chunk of the maps budget.

king183
05-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Does anyone know why the river is currently dry?

EDIT: Found the answer--they are dredging it.