View Full Version : Complainers vs. Doers

metro
10-27-2005, 08:46 AM
In this thread we talk about if we are a complainer or a doer. Its easy for most of us to complain or point out flaws , yet how many of us are actually involved with civic, political, or social organizations outside of the cyber world or being a good citizen or attending church. If so, how many of us are actually involved with more than one organization in this city. Its time to put our money where our mouth is!

:congrats:

Pete
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I was involved when I lived there but can only do so much from the west coast.

I'd also say that sometimes complaining *is* doing, such as an email campaign regarding various city websites and other ideas that need challenging/promoting.

I would also say from my previous experience that many of the civic groups are not the most welcoming to new people. They seem to have their own inner circle that can make new people feel like an outsider. That isn't an excuse for not getting involved, but I often questioned the motives of people that were supposedly working for the greater good of the community.

metro
10-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Malibu,

Somehow I knew you were going to make that point. With a few exceptions from you and HOT ROD and maybe a few others. Everyone else for the most part is local and often complains, although you could and maybe already are involved with your respective communities.

While complaining is doing something, it is doing it in the cyber world like I mentioned above. I was merely wanting to guage people's true involvement with OKC vs. how much they complain about problems, especially those who gripe the most or have future political aspirations, don't you think it would be interesting to know how much they are truly involved other than cyberspace and being a good citizen?? This thread was not meant to point anyone out but rather so we can all guage people's involvement in the community.

Most of these organizations are welcoming to new people and have been englightened alot since you left. I have 3 strikes against me, I'm young, I'm blunt, and I'm new to alot of these organizations but I am still DOING and it doesn't stop me from getting involved in organizations that are to benefit for the community. And even if an organization is not welcoming or has alternative motives, what a better organization to join and help bring accountability and change to it. It all has to start somewhere, why not with the complainers !

okcpulse
10-27-2005, 01:26 PM
I am working to change our liquor laws (see appropriate thread). Although I am moving to Texas in December, I will still fight.

I am also working on a rendering for Oklahoma City Beautiful to heavily plant trees along the Lake Hefner Parkway.

metro
10-27-2005, 02:19 PM
okcpulse, thanks for stepping up to the plate and being brave enough to post. Its ironic how everyone will charm in to complain but look at how many have viewed this post vs. who has posted how they are involved. I encourage you in your efforts but I'm not sure what can be done about the Lake Hefner project. There is alot of restrictions in that area such as no lighting. Alot of the restrictions have to do with homeowners associations in that area. At first they weren't going to let the parkway get built but settled for some concessions. IMO that stretch of roadway is nicer and cleaner than most in OKC, particularly I-44 between NW 39th and SW 59th needs alot of attention

okcpulse
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I encourage you in your efforts but I'm not sure what can be done about the Lake Hefner project. There is alot of restrictions in that area such as no lighting. Alot of the restrictions have to do with homeowners associations in that area. At first they weren't going to let the parkway get built but settled for some concessions.

That, actually, has been the challenge, and why the idea has been moving slowly.

metro
10-28-2005, 07:11 AM
seriously? only malibu, okcpulse, todd, and myself are the only doers on this whole site?? I guess the rest must be complainers and aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Decious
10-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Well metro I guess I'm tell ya a few things. As I've metioned previously, a group of five investors (including myself) have secured/put together funding for an after school rec. center to be located in NE OKC. Securing loans was difficult for us as my principal investor status was marred by my being 25 years old, having never had a "regular" job(I'm a recording artist) and in some cases being of African descent.

The exact location is still pending, but will be far enough away from the center on 4th Street & Lottie as not to disrupt the good things going on there. Comp. Lit/health/reading/tutoring will be the main thrusts of the venue.

N-E-wayz, I can't go into more detail than that but it's going to be great for the community.

Metro I understand the point that you were trying to make, but I really don't think people are going to list everything that they're doing, that is viewed as virtuous, in order to prove or validate themselves to the forum. That kinda feels Great White Throneish...U know what I mean?

If saying you guess the rest of us must be complainers and suggesting that one must be brave in order to respond is a means of provocation, that's cool. Still, it's a little silly. i.e. if we attend church are we supposed to give the name and say that we sing in the choir or go to Sunday school? If we're an active PTA member or participate in Big Brother Big Sister are we supposed to list it. How about just being a good parent or friend? All of this and much more count toward being a good citizen as I'm sure you understand.

Most of the complaints I see are about things and issues that we can't control, but can influence. It's okay to complain about roads and infrastructure. It's okay to gripe about misuse of funding. We participated and did our part when we voted.

Bottom line is that there are a myriad of ways to be a productive and proactive citizen and people that are indeed sincere about the good they do usually won't call attention to themselves. Also, metro, your initial post only asked rhetorical questions. Seemed better suited as an imperative thread anyhow. We appreciate the call to action, but the carpet call is not valid.

P.S. Metro, I love the input that you provide to the forum and believe that you're going to make a great politician in the future. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is when your next campaign rolls around and you can hold me to that.
:yourock:

Pete
10-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Great post, Decious.

I applaud your efforts regarding the rec center. I run a nonprofit in LA's San Fernando Valley that focuses on at-risk teens so I know about the great need for such services.

I'd also like to point out that everyone in this forum seems to have a true love for Oklahoma City and most seem to be great cheerleaders and promoters for the community. That is no small thing... Attitude and optimism can go a very long way.

And merely participating here is 'doing' through spreading information, promoting OKC and offering feedback, opinions and ideas.

That doesn't mean we all can't and shouldn't do more, but the point should be made that people here already provide a valuable service to OKC in many ways.

metro
10-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Still, it's a little silly. i.e. if we attend church are we supposed to give the name and say that we sing in the choir or go to Sunday school? If we're an active PTA member or participate in Big Brother Big Sister are we supposed to list it. How about just being a good parent or friend? All of this and much more count toward being a good citizen as I'm sure you understand.

Decious, First off I want to officially thank you for post. I never wanted to intend this post to be arrogant, blunt, or silly. I meant it for some people who tend to do a lot more complaining on this site about things they can influence and change, such as beautification efforts, no major league sports teams until last month, not a "hip scene" etc. These things can be changed. If you want a major league team, help support our minor league teams better. If you want beautification, donate or have your employer donate or dedicate your time to picking up trash or adopting a space or get involved with OKC Beautiful, these things only require time and not necessarily money although it wouldnt hurt. You want a hip scene, go support the hip places we do have. More will come in time when they see figures of people supporting current places and monetary figures. Otherwise, go open your own "hip place" and create your own hip scene.

I apologize if the thread got a little out of hand, sometimes I just get fed up with people who complain and I have never seen them get involved with organizations that they could just simply volunteer their time and make a difference. I mentioned the church thing and being a good citizen thing as simply challenging everyone who is not already involved with other organizations to go above and beyond being a church member and good citizen. I know I'm not the only person on this site with political aspirations and I often see some of them complain about things which can easily be changed with no money, wouldnt you think it would be nice to know how these people are involved in changing the community?? I know I would before they got in office.

I highly applaud your efforts for the community center, particularly in the NE side of town where it is much needed. Funny you mention that for two reasons.
1.) I did not know you were doing that.
2.) I led a group in which we adopted a space on NE 23rd and I-35. Two African-American girls who were in a "gang" supposively stopped by interrogating us while we were cleaning the area up and planting. They said we were wasting our time, they're side of town is hopeless, etc etc. They said why don't you build me a community center. First off, we all know progress in neglected areas take time, but community pride will come in time. Secondly, your efforts I know will greatly pay off in this section of town and I commend you for that. Anyhow, I will drop my case as this was never intended to be elitist or boastful.

Decious
10-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Decious, First off I want to officially thank you for post. I never wanted to intend this post to be arrogant, blunt, or silly. I meant it for some people who tend to do a lot more complaining on this site about things they can influence and change, such as beautification efforts, no major league sports teams until last month, not a "hip scene" etc. These things can be changed. If you want a major league team, help support our minor league teams better, if you want beautification, donate or have your employer donate or dedicate your time to picking up trash or adopting a space or get involved with OKC Beautiful, these things only require time and not necessarily money although it wouldnt hurt. I apologize if the thread got a little out of hand, sometimes I just get fed up with people who complain and I have never seen them get involved with organizations that they could just simply volunteer their time and make a difference. I mentioned the church thing and being a good citizen thing as simply challenging everyone who is not already involved with other organizations to go above and beyond being a church member and good citizen. I know I'm not the only person on this site with political aspirations and I often see some of them complain about things which can easily be changed with no money, wouldnt you think it would be nice to know how these people are involved in changing the community?? I know I would before they got in office.

I highly applaud your efforts for the community center, particularly in the NE side of town where it is much needed. Funny you mention that for two reasons, one, I did not know you were doing that and two. I led a group in which we adopted a space on NE 23rd and I-35. Too African-American girls who were in a "gang" supposively stopped by interrogating us while we were cleaning the area up and planting. They said we were wasting our time, they're side of town is hopeless, etc etc. They said why don't you build me a community center. First off, we all know progress in neglected areas take time, but community pride will come in time. Secondly, your efforts I know will greatly pay off in this section of town and I commend you for that. Anyhow, I will drop my case as this was never intended to be elitist or boastful.

I completely agree. You're a great man and soon everyone will know it.

Decious
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Great post, Decious.

I applaud your efforts regarding the rec center. I run a nonprofit in LA's San Fernando Valley that focuses on at-risk teens so I know about the great need for such services.

I'd also like to point out that everyone in this forum seems to have a true love for Oklahoma City and most seem to be great cheerleaders and promoters for the community. That is no small thing... Attitude and optimism can go a very long way.

And merely participating here is 'doing' through spreading information, promoting OKC and offering feedback, opinions and ideas.

That doesn't mean we all can't and shouldn't do more, but the point should be made that people here already provide a valuable service to OKC in many ways.

You're an admirable man. You're going to be a tremendous asset to this region when you return.

metro
10-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Decious, please don't think that is my intention. I'm not concerned with people's perception of me or thinking that I must be considered "great" or a good citizen. I simply just wanted to challenge people to get involved with our great city even more than we all are, including myself, so we can all make this a better place to live at even a faster pace and improve the quality of life in OKC to a higher standard!

metro
-okc citizen and nothing more

Karried
10-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Well, even though I wouldn't say I'm a 'doer' I guess I don't want to be put in the complainer's category so here goes... I support the Hornets, YardDawgz and the Ford Center - I go to concerts and events there and often support eating establishments in Bricktown.

I often try to post positive and encouraging articles reflecting OKC's growth. I like to think I contribute some ideas and I always sign up for volunteer projects. I signed up for the Hefner Lake tree project and the Walk of Fame but nothing has come of it yet.

I visit all major travel forums and post growth and tourist info and positive reports on OK. I post pics of new projects on city forums. I tell everyone I know about OKCtalk. I jump to the defense of OKC whenever I feel someone is meanly criticizing ( not constructively). I start email campaigns to encourage city leaders to improve content on sites and improvements to our city ( ie Airport website, Edmond city websites etc) I volunteer weekly at the schools and support education. I helped build the Zoo playground. I have had annual memberships at the Zoo and Omniplex even though I can't go often - I want to support them. I enjoy Habitat for Humanity projects.

I may not do a lot but I don't think I fall in the category of 'complainer' either.

Put me in the 'cheerleader' category. :cheerlead

metro
10-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Karried, we commend you for your efforts, see it doesn't take much or any money to help contribute outside the cyberworld.

Decious
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Decious, please don't think that is my intention. I'm not concerned with people's perception of me or thinking that I must be considered "great" or a good citizen. I simply just wanted to challenge people to get involved with our great city even more than we all are, including myself, so we can all make this a better place to live at even a faster pace and improve the quality of life in OKC to a higher standard!

metro
-okc citizen and nothing more

I don't. I also don't think your motivation is to be revered by others. But I do think you're a great man and won't take it back. The greatness that I speak of is not qualified. It's not based on any comparison with anyone else. In my mind it's a fact and I'm excited to look toward the future and see you walk out the greatness that I speak of. Greatness in deed, greatness in compassion, and greatness in representation. I'm looking forward to your future and the impacts that I believe it will bring. You're not the only person that I feel that way about, but you are indeed one of them.

You will do great things and you do great things now. In no way have I known you to be vain or elitist and would never expect it from you. And you are more than an OKC citizen, you are you. Whether your were here in OKC or anywhere else you would be Steven and you'd be a leader there as well. You can be humble and be great. I believe you are both.

jbrown84
10-28-2005, 05:31 PM
As a college student, I have zero money for things like this. I really can't even afford to support OKCTalk monetarily at this point. And I'm in Shawnee for school, so I can't do much as far as volunteering but what I do do is speak in favor of this city when no one else will. I defend it to classmates from Texas and Arizona and Washington and everywhere else that don't think OKC has much to offer because they're not looking hard enough. I go to bricktown often, whether it's to the Harkins or to a concert or the Redhawks or a restaurant, and I encourage friends and relatives to go. I also do my best to positively promote OKC on travel sites like Fodors.com. Not just their message boards, but I have been emailing them trying to convince them that Oklahoma/OKC deserves a travel guide not just on their website but also in print. No travel guide companies publish a guide on Oklahoma. Overall, I just try to have a positive attitude about our city, and when I am negative I am only trying to offer constructive criticism.

Karried
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Not just their message boards, but I have been emailing them trying to convince them that Oklahoma/OKC deserves a travel guide not just on their website but also in print. No travel guide companies publish a guide on Oklahoma

That is so funny, they must think we are wacko over here because I've been driving them crazy myself emailing them about putting in the travel guide - I feel an email campaign coming on!

See, though, it is the little stuff that can make a difference!

okcpulse
10-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I wrote a travel book about Oklahoma City. Unfortunately, I have had zero time to get it actually moving. Chances are, I will get it published once I have more free time... after I get out of school.

fromdust
10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
i would love to do something. i often dream about what i could do for the asian district or getting more businesses to move downtown. this may sound like an excuse but working 60+ hrs a week isnt helping in with my dream.

jbrown84
10-29-2005, 06:30 PM
okcpulse, I hope to see your guide on shelves soon. I'm sure it has to be better than what OKCCVB is putting out.

Karried, it's great to see I'm not the only one working on these travel companies. Which ones are you emailing?

Karried
10-29-2005, 06:51 PM
jbrown84, I started emailing last year so I can't remember all the ones I've sent emails to but I do remember Frommers, Fodor, Trip Advisor - anything to do with travel, I try to post and/or email. I can't remember all of the travel boards but I know I've written reviews and input about OKC/Bricktown on quite a few. I invited them to visit OKC and I sent them links to all of our travel web sites.. I'm going to do it again.

I figure it can't hurt and just might help our tourism industry by spreading the word about all the improvements that we have experienced lately.

jbrown84
10-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Right on Karried. I do the same thing, especially on Fodors message boards. There were some really negative posts about Oklahoma so I had to defend us. :)

metro
10-31-2005, 07:57 AM
great efforts all, okcpulse, I've been wondering on the status of your book. If you need any help getting it out, let me know. I've been thinking of creating my own as well, maybe a shorter version though, like a small tour guide

okcpulse
10-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Thank you metro. The status of my book is on hold right now. It is complete, although I've been updating it little by little anytime something major happens in Oklahoma City. Once school and several web site projects are out of the way, I will be seeking a publisher. The only secret I'll let out is... it is quite comprehensive and very sleek in presentation.

vxt
10-31-2005, 04:05 PM
As a college student, I have zero money for things like this.

Ditto, I am in the same boat although I did contribute to the july fundraiser. I often thought about what I could do to help this city grow. :bright_id I know when I win the powerball I will just go crazy and start opening up a lot of business and build many 15+ story skyscraper just for the hell of it. :LolLolLol

Proactive Volunteer
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Well guys... I have not gone away! I am still an active board member of OKC Beautiful and the president of my neighborhood association. I recently have come back from a brief break from the OKC Empowerment Zone.

Life has been extremely busy for me since March or this year when I left my cushy self employed job (ha) and went to work at an awesome non-profit called Possibilities. I am working a lot of hours, still keeping the books for my husband and my automotive repair business and doing my volunteer work.

Great to breifly catch up with the postings!!

Patrick
11-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey Proactive Volunteer! Great to hear from you. I was wondering about you! :)

metro
11-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Great to hear Proactive Volunteer. I may know you unknowingly. I was with the AEP leadership group that volunteered with Possibilities.