View Full Version : OU Interim President Joseph Harroz

CloudDeckMedia
05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
New thread for OU interim president Joseph Harroz after the OU Board of Regents announced that he will succeed former president Jim Gallogly.

aDark
05-17-2019, 01:04 PM
I hope his interim term is a massive success and that he is chosen as the next permanent President of OU. Boomer.

Pete
05-17-2019, 01:21 PM
He has a very easy act to follow, which will help.

TheTravellers
05-17-2019, 04:46 PM
TLO's take on Harroz (author's not Cal Hobson, just Patrick):

https://www.thelostogle.com/2019/05/17/david-boren-lackey-named-interim-ou-president/

DKG
05-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Making the national news for the wrong reasons. One more thing Harroz and the eventual new president will have to address going forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/university-oklahoma-best-colleges-ranking/index.html

jonny d
05-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Boren harming OU from his mansion now.

dankrutka
05-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Making the national news for the wrong reasons. One more thing Harroz and the eventual new president will have to address going forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/university-oklahoma-best-colleges-ranking/index.html

When the system is a racket, people will cheat. The fact that alumni giving is even included just shows how stupid and elitist these rankings are. In short, you're a "best university" if you're rich. People will always cheat dumb systems. Should OU/Boren have lied? No, they should have protested the ranking system. But, we should all quit citing and using these ranking systems.

dcsooner
05-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Boren harming OU from his mansion now.

I have been and continue to overall be a Boren supporter, but very disappointed in this aspect of his leadership ( I am taking this as truth)

Pete
05-23-2019, 02:25 PM
I wonder how many other universities fudge their numbers to boost their rankings?

This never should have happened but in the grand scheme of things is a minor transgression. Reported close to 15% giving rate when it was more like 10%. And that factor is only 5% of the ratings used by this one service.

This feels like OU is self-reporting a pretty small thing that sounds really bad and thus nets a lot of bad publicity. I'm not so sure this wasn't a part of a broader scheme to completely discredit Boren; hard to not think that when you consider everything else that has transpired in the same time frame.

For all we know, this sort of exaggeration is not uncommon it's just that other universities might not be motivated in the same way.

Also, since there is no way to talk about these subjects without discussing the strong political overtones, it's important to note that Jones Day -- the law firm hired by the regents to investigate this and the sexual harassment claims -- has very strong ties to the GOP and up until very recently, Trump. I don't believe OU had ever used them before, so again, very interesting timing.

I remain very suspicious of all of this and recent events have only heightened that suspicion.

jonny d
05-23-2019, 02:42 PM
I wonder how many other universities fudge their numbers to boost their rankings?

This never should have happened but in the grand scheme of things is a minor transgression. Reported close to 15% giving rate when it was more like 10%. And that factor is only 5% of the ratings used by this one service.

This feels like OU is self-reporting a pretty small thing that sounds really bad and thus nets a lot of bad publicity. I'm not so sure this wasn't a part of a broader scheme to completely discredit Boren; hard to not think that when you consider everything else that has transpired in the same time frame.

For all we know, this sort of exaggeration is not uncommon it's just that other universities might not be motivated in the same way.

Also, since there is no way to talk about these subjects without discussing the strong political overtones, it's important to note that Jones Day -- the law firm hired by the regents to investigate this and the sexual harassment claims -- has very strong ties to the GOP and up until very recently, Trump. I don't believe OU had ever used them before, so again, very interesting timing.

I remain very suspicious of all of this and recent events have only heightened that suspicion.

I agree that it is probably immaterial, but a wrong is a wrong. And just because you know others are cheating, doesn't mean yours is ok.

Pete
05-23-2019, 02:45 PM
I agree that it is probably immaterial, but a wrong is a wrong. And just because you know others are cheating, doesn't mean yours is ok.

Completely agree.

Just saying it could also be true that this issue is being exploited in a political and vengeful way.

jonny d
05-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Completely agree.

Just saying it could also be true that this issue is being exploited in a political and vengeful way.

Very true.

Rover
05-23-2019, 03:05 PM
When the system is a racket, people will cheat. The fact that alumni giving is even included just shows how stupid and elitist these rankings are. In short, you're a "best university" if you're rich. People will always cheat dumb systems. Should OU/Boren have lied? No, they should have protested the ranking system. But, we should all quit citing and using these ranking systems.

Amen

Rover
05-23-2019, 03:08 PM
Completely agree.

It has appeared to be a systematic and planned attempt to impose a political will on OU and eradicate Boren's legacy.

Dob Hooligan
05-23-2019, 03:48 PM
I read through the story and the former president of George Washington University says that schools game the system "Just like athletes take steroids and there is gambling at Rick's" is the quote.

This might be part of why Gallogly is gone. If he, as an outsider, unearthed this horrible transgression and pushed the release of it. Only to learn it is an open secret that all universities do some kinda similar manipulation. This attempt at honesty and transparency harmed the university more than the former president.

hoya
05-24-2019, 08:54 AM
I think Gallogly was supposed to go in and reverse course on some things Boren was doing, and hurt Boren's legacy if possible. Then he goes in like a bull in a china shop, apparently doing everything he can to wreck OU's reputation, and the regents are like "no you fool! What are you doing?" And that's why he's gone now.

BoulderSooner
05-24-2019, 10:41 AM
OU misrepresneted numbers to US news every year starting in 99

Lafferty Daniel
05-24-2019, 01:25 PM
OU misrepresneted numbers to US news every year starting in 99

That's not too long after Boren took over.

Pete
05-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Has there been any conclusive proof that Boren knew this was happening?

Jersey Boss
05-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Nm

Lafferty Daniel
05-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Has there been any conclusive proof that Boren knew this was happening?

Considering how much Boren made a big deal when OU was ranked inside the top 100, I would believe he was well aware of what OU was reporting.

jerrywall
05-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Considering how much Boren made a big deal when OU was ranked inside the top 100, I would believe he was well aware of what OU was reporting.

My question is on why does it matter? Is someone really trying to argue incompetence/negligence over willful participation? Is that honestly better?

I don't know if I should consider this a big deal at all (I don't), but regardless, the buck stops at the top.

jonny d
05-24-2019, 03:22 PM
My question is on why does it matter? Is someone really trying to argue incompetence/negligence over willful participation? Is that honestly better?

I don't know if I should consider this a big deal at all (I don't), but regardless, the buck stops at the top.

Well, there is money in being in the top 100, top 50, etc. So not being ranked could cost OU a lot of money.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Wonder how long many of y’all are going to stay on Boren hill ???

FighttheGoodFight
05-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Wonder how long many of y’all are going to stay on Boren hill ???

I think like most people we will see what the investigation says. So far it has been 300k. If they find nothing I think you will see more people angry about that.

BoulderSooner
05-25-2019, 07:00 PM
I think like most people we will see what the investigation says. So far it has been 300k. If they find nothing I think you will see more people angry about that.

The osbi asked for and got the OU hired law firm report and is taking it to a grand jury. (As reported by the Oklahoman )

David
05-25-2019, 07:59 PM
The osbi asked for and got the OU hired law firm report and is taking it to a grand jury. (As reported by the Oklahoman )

After a subpoena, yes. Makes me wonder why that was needed since the report was done on behalf of a state entity and the OU regents already had a copy.

Midtowner
05-26-2019, 06:24 AM

Private law firms don't take anything to grand juries. Information would have to be turned over to the District Attorney.

BoulderSooner
05-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Private law firms don't take anything to grand juries. Information would have to be turned over to the District Attorney.

The osbi (I’m sure with a da).

FighttheGoodFight
06-14-2019, 07:49 AM
First layoffs under Harroz. 69 total employees. Mostly CART, Public Affairs and Lawton Medical Clinic. They were under review for 45 days and employees affected are getting severance.