View Full Version : Tulsa Arena

In_Tulsa
10-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Just thought you guy would like to know that the Tulsa Arena will be named The BOk ARENA BOk paid 11 million for naming rights. What do you guys think of the new name?

okrednk
10-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Just thought you guy would like to know that the Tulsa Arena will be named The BOk ARENA BOk paid 11 million for naming rights. What do you guys think of the new name?

The BOk is Bank of Oklahoma right? That is fitting I would guess, its good to see it named something from the state. Not necessarily someone who is not really that well known. Just my two cents.

metro
10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, I'm sad they had to name such a nice arena but that's the name of the game these days. I'm glad it was a local company instead of an out of state company. It will be good exposure for Oklahoma

In_Tulsa
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
BOk Center is the name you can go to ktul.com to see the arena.

windowphobe
10-27-2005, 05:27 PM
It lends itself to a really nifty slogan, though, if you sound out each letter:

"Everyone's going to BOk."

Decious
10-31-2005, 09:42 PM
I like it. Hopefully, BOK will be able to secure some additional financing to help with construction overages.

myshero55
11-01-2005, 07:40 PM
There must be another bank in Tulsa other than BOK. These guys never stop putting their name in lights, and getting in touch with the public money. "Great Plains" for instance.

swake
11-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Do you have any evidence of BOk being corrupt? They made a loan, they are a bank, it's what they do.

myshero55
11-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Yes that's what they do. Intent has just as much to do making the loan. Should they have known that you couldn't use public land?

John
11-02-2005, 10:12 AM
I remember Tulsa saying how they were going to get a much bigger company that paid so much more than OKC got for the naming rights to the Ford Center.

Not so much.

Karried
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Bok as in " What does a chicken say?"

'And on that farm he had a chicken, e,i,e,i,ohhhhh ...A bok bok here and a bok bok there - here a bok, there a bok, everywhere a bok bok... '

sorry, that's what came to mind...:Smiley233

swake
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I guess that is one reason for BOk to want the naming rights, and to use BOk instead of the Bank of Oklahoma Center. (and for the record, you pronounce each letter, b-o-k)

BOk is the parent company of the much better known Bank of Oklahoma, but in Tulsa you do see BOk a lot of places on such as on thier office buildings all over town.

Patrick
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
I think Tulsa would've gotten better recognition for their arena if they had chosen a more nationally-known company to sell naming rights to. Everyone across the nation knows who Pepsi, American Airlines, and Ford is. BOK is an Oklahoma thing, right?

swake
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
No, not just Oklahoma,

BOk Financial is also the parent of other regional banks; Bank of Texas, Bank of Arizona, Bank of Arkansas, Bank of Albuquerque and the Colorado State Bank

http://www.bokf.com/

But, my question is, are they going to create a more national brand out of BOk and dump all the “Bank of” brands they have now.

Also, remember, Ford Motor Company didn’t buy the naming rights to your arena. The Oklahoma Ford Dealers did, arenas without major league sports teams generally get local companies to buy the naming rights, now that local company may be a national brand, or it may not. If you keep the Hornets, you are going to be able to get a whole different kind of money for the naming rights of the Ford center when they expire.

At least it’s not Quik Trip Arena or the Mazzio’s Center. My favorite has to be the Dunkin Donuts Arena in Providence.

jbrown84
11-02-2005, 08:57 PM
lol yeah Dunkin Donuts. That's bad. Also, I was recently in the Kansas City area and saw a Bank of Oklahoma Mortgage. Thought that was kind of strange, but good exposure for us I guess.

I'm glad it's named after something local. Good for you Tulsa.

myshero55
11-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I remember Tulsa saying how they were going to get a much bigger company that paid so much more than OKC got for the naming rights to the Ford Center.

Not so much.

Right, Tulsa says a lot that somehow always gets changed to something else. OKC does a better job at befriending many companies. Understanding there is more positive economic impact.

Here we go, bok...blah, blah, blah..

Patrick
11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Also, remember, Ford Motor Company didn’t buy the naming rights to your arena. The Oklahoma Ford Dealers did, arenas without major league sports teams generally get local companies to buy the naming rights, now that local company may be a national brand, or it may not. If you keep the Hornets, you are going to be able to get a whole different kind of money for the naming rights of the Ford center when they expire.

Yeah, you're right. I realized Oklahoma Ford Dealers was the sponsor. At least they stuck with "Ford" Center though, instead of gonig with "Oklahoma Ford Dealers" Center. Regardless, I know people aren't hip on selling naming rights, but might as well sell the name for the $11 million! Why turn that money down?

Doug Loudenback
11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
This artist's rendering looks great ...

http://www.vision2025.info/includes/buttonlinks/welcome_photo.jpg

Glad we got there first, though, and, at least for now, have the HORNETS, now 2-1 and tied for 1st in the division!

Would it be TOO COOL for Tulsa and OKC to have an INTRAstate NBA team rivalry! What a GREAT thing for this GREAT state that would be! :boff:
Huge, for us in Oklahoma!

Patrick
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
I agree. The facility will look nice. I still think they're making a mistake concerning the size. For Basketball it will only seat 17,500. And the seats will be set up in 2 levels, similar to the Cox Center Arena, with suites above the 2nd level of seats. Unlike the typical major league setup like we have with 3 levels of seating, and 3 concourses.

Doug Loudenback
11-06-2005, 08:37 AM
I agree. The facility will look nice. I still think they're making a mistake concerning the size. For Basketball it will only seat 17,500. And the seats will be set up in 2 levels, similar to the Cox Center Arena, with suites above the 2nd level of seats. Unlike the typical major league setup like we have with 3 levels of seating, and 3 concourses.

Ohhh... I agree, surely a mistake. Frankly, I thought the Ford Center was borderline in that area with its 19,136 or whatever when configured for BBall. I wonder what the "lowest" # of seats is which meets NBA standards?

Patrick
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Here's a look at the capacities of other NBA arenas:

Atlanta Hawks
1999- Philips Arena Atlanta, GA 20,000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boston Celtics
1995- Fleet Center Boston, MA 18,624
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlotte Bobcats
2004-2006 Charlotte Colliseum Charlotte, NC 24,042
2006- Charlotte Center Charlotte, NC 18,500
Chicago Bulls
1994- United Center Chicago, IL 21,711
Cleveland Cavaliers
1994- Gund Arena Cleveland, OH 20,562
Dallas Mavericks
01- American Airlines Arena Dallas, TX 19,200
Denver Nuggets
1999- Pepsi Center Denver, CO 19,309
Detroit Pistons
1988- Palace of Auburn Hills Auburn Hills 21,454
Houston Rockets
2003- Toyota Center Houston, TX 18,300
Indiana Pacers
1999- Conseco Fieldhouse Indianapolis, IN 19,200
Los Angeles Clippers
1999- Staples Center Los Angeles,CA 21,000
Los Angeles Lakers
1999- Staples Center Los Angeles,CA 21,000
Memphis Grizzlies
2001- The Pryamid Memphis, Ten 20,142
Miami Heat
1999- American Airlines Arena Miami, FL 19,600
Minnesota Timberwolves
1990- Target Center Minneapolis,MN 19,006
Milwaukee Bucks
1988- Bradley Center Milwaukee, WI 18,600
New Jersey Nets
1981- Continental Airlines Arena E.Rutherford,NJ 20,049
New Orleans Hornets
2002- New Orleans Arena New Orleans 18,500
New York Knicks
1968- Madison Square Garden IV New York, NY 19,763
Orlando Magic
1989- Orlando Arena Orlando, FL 17,248
Philadelphia 76'ers
1996- First Union Center Philadelphia,PA 20,444
Phoenix Suns
1992- America West Arena Phoenix, AZ 19,023
Portland Trailblazers
1995- Rose Garden Portland, OR 21,538
Sacramento Kings
1988- ARCO Arena II Sacramento, CA 17,317
San Antonio Spurs
02- SBC Center San Antonio,TX 18,500
Seattle Supersonics
1995- Key Arena Seattle, WA 17,100
Toronto Raptors
1999- Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON 19,500
Utah Jazz
1991- Delta Center Salt Lake City 19,911
Washington Wizards
1997- MCI Center Washington, DC 21,500
Former Arena Locations
Charlotte Hornets
Arena: Charlotte Coliseum Capacity: 23,799
Vancouver Grizzlies
Arena: General Motors Place Capacity:19,193

Patrick
11-06-2005, 12:13 PM
As you can see, the only NBA arena that would be smaller than BOK Arena would be Arco Arena, in Sacramento. And Sacramento is pushing for a new arena.

Plus, I think Tulsa really needed to go with a 3 concourse system.

flyingcowz
11-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Actually according to what you put down it is bigger than Sacremento, Seattle, and Orlando. Not just Sacremento.

I do agree it needed to be alot bigger though.

Doug Loudenback
11-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Patrick,

I'm revising the Hornet's schedule, etc., that I posted at my website earlier to include, in addition to attendance, seating capacity (hope you did a good job of research! :spin:

If you included Golden State (Oakland), I missed it. But, I did find this website showing the Bball home ... http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/CaliforniaSeals/ ... and, though it's hard to believe, a Bball capacity is said there to be 15,025, with no luxury or club seating.

Does your info match with this?

OKCMann
11-09-2005, 01:07 PM
I thought this was OKC Talk?

windowphobe
11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, I'm in OKC, and I'm certainly talking.