View Full Version : Round1

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
04-12-2019, 07:40 AM
Massive entertainment complex coming to Quail Springs Mall (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=608-Massive-entertainment-complex-coming-to-Quail-Springs-Mall)

Japan-based Round1 is planning to bring a unique blend of bowling, arcade, billiards, karaoke, ping pong, darts, restaurant and bar to Quail Springs Mall.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1a.jpg

At 40,000 to 60,000 square feet, Round 1 will rival the 58,000 square foot Main Event complex just 1.5 miles to the east.

Quail Springs management and Round1 would not provide details of the exact location, but their concept requires direct access to inside the mall and to parking.

Round1 has more than 110 locations in Japan and has access to the newest interactive games, some of which can only be found in Round1 locations.

The company is expanding rapidly, with the goal of 10 new stores per year, all within large malls.

Round1 is operating or planning facilities in Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Quail Springs will be the first Oklahoma location for the company.

The mall recently demolished a vacant Macy's store and added a huge Life Time Fitness complex, as many enclosed malls continue to replace the shrinking number of traditional department stores and retailers with lifestyle tenants.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1h.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1f.jpg

okatty
04-12-2019, 08:10 AM
I assume adjacent to Von Maur means they intend to use the VM space? Would they get to this size without that?

Pete
04-12-2019, 08:45 AM
I assume adjacent to Von Maur means they intend to use the VM space? Would they get to this size without that?

No, just like H&M they can clear out space in the mall.

Von Maur isn't going anywhere.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Quail Springs needs to put together a long term plan or if they have make it public. Perhaps develop one or two of the parking lots into lifestyle centers and convert the other parking to structured to make up. They need to open up the ring road to the roads north so there is direct access to NW 150th.

Pete
04-12-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm sure they have a plan but all these mall operators are tight-lipped until things are ready to open.

Give Quail Springs credit... They've brought in Von Maur, H&M, Lifestyle Fitness and now Round1.

4 massive tenants at a time when malls everywhere are struggling and closing.

They are doing much better than many.

okatty
04-12-2019, 08:52 AM
No, just like H&M they can clear out space in the mall.

Von Maur isn't going anywhere.

Good...I’m glad to hear that. Don’t go there often but a really nice store.

OKC Guy
04-12-2019, 09:09 AM
This is cool. Amazing how many new businesses have been built in that 2 mile area. From Chisolm to Cosco to Chalk to Top Golf to Main Event to Lifestyle Fitness to VM to many other establishments. Its turning into a huge growth area where you have everything. Still have more to go with Alamo Brewhouse and other places. With the growth of city we can equally support areas away from Bricktown/downtown that draw folks for entertainment or lifestyle. The turnpike also allows them to draw from miles away very fast.

Soonerman
04-12-2019, 10:21 AM
That's a very nice add to the mall, They have one at Grapevine Mills down in DFW.

d-usa
04-12-2019, 10:32 AM
So sounds like it will be the former restaurant space then.

mgharfeh
04-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Hoping they actually have the large bowling pin out front lol

crs4380
04-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Being the big company that Round1 is they could very well hurt business over at Main Event since it's so close. I'm curious to know what Main Event will do to remain competitive in OKC. It had an edge over Dave and Buster's with some of it's offerings. But with Round1 being massive and more appealing to a wider crowd, they're gonna have to step up their game!

jn1780
04-12-2019, 11:34 AM
So sounds like it will be the former restaurant space then.

More like that whole corner of the mall. Round 1 is huge. Bigger than Dave and Busters with bowling more games also judging by walkthrough videos.

It's too late now, but the lower level of the old Macys would have been perfect with the upper level still paved over for Lifetime parking.

Food court, AMC, round1, lifetime, it would have been all right there.

Plutonic Panda
04-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Any possibility the mall’s footprint will be expanded in any way?

Pete
04-12-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm really not sure where they are going.

They could be taking part or all of JC Penney, same for Dillard's. The chances of them taking any of Von Maur is next to nil IMO.

More than likely they will be taking over existing mall square footage and the clear-out of that one area next to VM is very similar what happened to make way for H&M.

If they were to expand out in some way, I'm sure it would be as part of taking a big chunk of mall space as well.

But it has to be said, this gives everyone more reason to go to Quail Spring. The theater is a good draw and the two businesses should help each other a lot, as well as the food court and other eateries.

OKC Guy
04-12-2019, 11:53 AM
I would think they want both inside mall and outside parking lot access. Especially with bowling some will bring own balls/shoes and not want to go into mall for access.

d-usa
04-12-2019, 11:57 AM
More like that whole corner of the mall. Round 1 is huge. Bigger than Dave and Busters with bowling more games also judging by walkthrough videos.

It's too late now, but the lower level of the old Macys would have been perfect with the upper level still paved over for Lifetime parking.

Food court, AMC, round1, lifetime, it would have been all right there.

I think most is the store space on both levels around that old restaurant space is vacant, and it would be in a spot where they could expand if they wanted to.

They didn’t preserve any of the lower level Macy space did they?

Pete
04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
No, Macy's is completely gone.

I'm sure a big part of Round1's business model is to great a great deal on existing mall space, as they are one of the few businesses expanding in closed malls -- especially of that size.

crs4380
04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
I would think they want both inside mall and outside parking lot access. Especially with bowling some will bring own balls/shoes and not want to go into mall for access.

One of Round1's requirements is that their business must be accessible from outside the mall.

jn1780
04-12-2019, 01:21 PM

If they took up the old Hu Hot spot along with surrounding spots on both levels, they would probably add outside access.

Edit: Maybe expand outward and rework the main mall entrance in this area.

OKC Guy
04-12-2019, 01:51 PM
One of Round1's requirements is that their business must be accessible from outside the mall.

Thanks. Thats smart. Could likely get bowling leagues in certain time slots too. Just have to be careful not to take away availibility of lanes for non league players at peak times which can be harmful.

Side story, when I lived in Japan I was in bowling leagues out in town. They used different pins than American ones called duck pins or something like that. They were less heavy and bit smaller

crs4380
04-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Thanks. Thats smart. Could likely get bowling leagues in certain time slots too. Just have to be careful not to take away availibility of lanes for non league players at peak times which can be harmful.

Side story, when I lived in Japan I was in bowling leagues out in town. They used different pins than American ones called duck pins or something like that. They were less heavy and bit smaller

It is smart. But they're also open from 10am to 2am everyday. So it makes sense.

Joe Kimball
04-22-2019, 02:56 PM

It's funny how bowling seems to have come full circle—back to a saloon game. The mid-century saw bowling's rise as an accessible pastime and the organization of action bowlers into a pro tour (which once received more attention than golf).

Duckpins are quite American, actually: long thought to be invented around 1900 in Baltimore, their existence has recently been found to antedate this long-presumed time by at least a decade, since accessibility to various archives has improved in this information age.

yukong
05-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Round 1 is going on the lower level in the spot where El Chico and Shoe Depot is located. The general mall entrance between those two will become Round One's entrance. El Chico is moving to the Hu Hot spot. Shoe Depot is moving upstairs down on the east end. Plus...General Growth Properties has sold QSM to an outfit called Brookfield Properties. In fact, Brookfield now lists QSM on their website.

Pete
05-20-2019, 07:01 PM
^

Thanks very much for the info!

Just to clarify, Brookfield bought all of General Growth (the most recent owner of the mall) in August of 2018 for $9B.

shawnw
05-21-2019, 02:47 AM
interesting adaptations

Rover
05-21-2019, 06:54 AM
Brookfield now owning it is probably a good thing. They have the money to evolve it and to maintain it properly. Their reach with retailers is good and should help bring new stores here.

Pete
05-21-2019, 07:38 AM
General Growth was not a good owner of Quail Springs. They did bring in H&M and Von Maur (with a big leg-up from the city) but otherwise have not done much out there.

Brookfield is likely to be much more dynamic.

David
05-21-2019, 08:12 AM
That's a disappointing change for that El Chicos the atmosphere of the current location is nice.

Hopefully the new spot works out.

crs4380
06-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Can anyone confirm that they're actually coming to OKC next year in 2020? I saw an official Japanese financial quarterly report that lists OKC as 2021 instead of 2020 like listed in their USA website.

dcsooner
06-08-2019, 05:38 AM
OKLAHOMA
Our new store, Quail Springs Mall, is coming soon!

Quail Springs Mall

(Coming 2020)
Oklahoma City, OK 73134
https://www.round1usa.com/location/

Pete
06-08-2019, 06:35 AM
I was in the mall last week and El Chico and the other tenants to be moved are still operating.

Perhaps they won't move them until after the busy holiday season, then it will certainly take a while for construction.

So, maybe fall 2020?

jn1780
06-08-2019, 09:00 AM
I ate at El Chico last night and I dont know how they stay in business. Moving to the smallet Hu Hot space is probably good for them if it means less rent. There has never been any wait on a Friday night. It's our place to go when we need to catch a movie and are short on time.

Hopefully new mall owners, can bring some new life. Quail Springs is pretty sad right now.

I question if deleting a front direct front mall entrance is a good move, but as of right now there not getting any good tenants.

rte66man
06-08-2019, 09:03 AM
I haven't been inside Quail Springs Mall in nearly 3 years. They have nothing that would draw me in.

crs4380
06-08-2019, 11:52 AM
I was in the mall last week and El Chico and the other tenants to be moved are still operating.

Perhaps they won't move them until after the busy holiday season, then it will certainly take a while for construction.

So, maybe fall 2020?

Well, the other source I got my info from is through their actual Japanese website, not the USA version. It just doesn't make sense to announce they're coming to OKC in 2020 on the USA site, but on their Japan financial report it says something completely different, which would be Spring of 2021.

I'm guessing there is some kind of miscommunication between Round1 USA and Japan.

http://www.round1.co.jp/company/ir/pdf/saishin/2019/20190508_tenbo.pdf

Pete
07-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Plans move forward for huge entertainment complex at Quail Springs Mall (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=631-Plans-move-forward-for-huge-entertainment-complex-at-Quail-Springs-Mall)

Round1, a chain of entertainment complexes based in Japan, is moving forward with plans to take a large amount of space in Quail Springs Mall.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1072419c.jpg

As we first reported in April (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=608-Massive-entertainment-complex-coming-to-Quail-Springs-Mall) the company has been expanding rapidly in the U.S., helping to fill vacancy in traditional malls due the shifting retail landscape.

Plans show Round1 plans to take 43,000 square feet of the mall's lower level between AMC theaters and JC Penney.

An existing El Chico restaurant will be moved to another spot within the mall, but it's not clear if other affected tenants, including a large Gap store, will be relocated or cease operating at Quail Springs.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1052019ab.jpg

A new mall entrance would be created just to the east of Penney's and Round 1 would have its own direct entrance, providing a highly visible profile from Memorial Road.

Quail Springs would be the first Oklahoma location for the company.

Round1 offers a mix of bowling, arcade games, ping pong, darts as well as karaoke, a restaurant and large bar. The company is popular with gamers as the connection to Japan allows Round1 to bring unique machines not available at other U.S. competitors.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1a.jpg

Quail Springs continues to evolve after losing Sears and Macy's as anchor stores and as other traditional retail outlets continue to withdraw from enclosed malls. Von Maur replaced Sears and the Macy's store was demolished to make way for a massive Life Time fitness complex. Oklahoma's first H&M was also recently added, a 2-level store near the center of the mall.

With the addition of Round1, the vacancy rate at Quail Springs would drop significantly as the mall continues to reshape itself after being purchased by Brookfield Partners last year as part of a $15 billion takeover of General Growth Properties which had owned the mall for decades.

Brookfield owns over 100 large shopping centers, including Sooner Mall in Norman.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1072419d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1e.jpg

jn1780
07-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Is the exterior footprint being expanded for Round1? Sounds like El-Chico's is where the new mall hallway and entrance are going. Kind of wish they would move the mall entrance to be in that corner between AMC and Round1, but maybe Round 1 is taking up that empty space on the outside also. It would be nice to actually have a central mall entrance along with remodeled food court.

Pete
07-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Is the exterior footprint being expanded for Round1? Sounds like El-Chico's is where the new mall hallway and entrance are going. Kind of wish they would move the mall entrance to be in that corner between AMC and Round1, but maybe Round 1 is taking up that empty space on the outside also. It would be nice to actually have a central mall entrance along with remodeled food court.

No, the exterior footprint is not being expanded, other than maybe a slight rework of the southern facade.

The diagram shows the space they are taking.

The only real change is the mall entrance will be moved to just east of El Chico.

Pete
07-25-2019, 08:17 AM
This plan shows the outline of the proposed complex:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/round1072419a.jpg

mgharfeh
07-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Very cool. Hopefully Gap survives this move and just serves to fill up other previously vacant spots on the other side. The new hair academy coming in looks pretty cool too. It’s nice to see Quail Springs wake back up. Any word on when this will start?

Pete
07-25-2019, 08:50 AM
I would think they would wait until the holidays before moving out the existing tenants.

As for the Gap, they are closing stores nationwide, so I'm not sure if they will bother to relocate at Quail Springs.

crs4380
07-26-2019, 09:24 AM
I would think they would wait until the holidays before moving out the existing tenants.

As for the Gap, they are closing stores nationwide, so I'm not sure if they will bother to relocate at Quail Springs.

Round1 wrote in their Japanese financial reports that they won't be ready to open up this new store until 2021 Spring.

Pete
08-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Shoe Dept. Encore just filed for a building permit to relocate their store to another part of the mall, so bet you'll start to see the other tenants moving as well after the holiday season is over.

Robert_M
10-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Plans are out to bid for the mall work portion of this project for the end of the month. Looks like they will be adding a new entrance and corridor from part of the removed El Chico to connect to the mall and route around the Round 1. Old entrance will then be removed to make a new entrance for Round 1. Larger concrete sidewalk will be added with landscaping and a drop off lane.

jn1780
10-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Not surprisingly that El Chico appears to be gone for good.

jbkrems
10-17-2019, 11:01 PM
No El Chico plans to move to where HuHot used to be.

jn1780
10-18-2019, 08:19 AM
No El Chico plans to move to where HuHot used to be.

Any building permits? I'm skeptical that this is still the plan. You think they would have got the ball rolling on this awhile ago. They already close. But maybe you have inside information.

Pete
10-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Has El Chico closed?

I have not seen permits for a new spot in the mall.

jn1780
10-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Has El Chico closed?

I have not seen permits for a new spot in the mall.

Maybe someone can confirm. It looked like the sign was gone and I dont see them listed on the website. Facebook page is a dead link from google search. It was silently purged from existance. The mall is already in the process of taking bids for new mall entrance so seems to go along with it already being closed

jbkrems
10-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Yukong said back in May, "Round 1 is going on the lower level in the spot where El Chico and Shoe Depot is located. The general mall entrance between those two will become Round One's entrance. El Chico is moving to the Hu Hot spot. Shoe Depot is moving upstairs down on the east end. Plus...General Growth Properties has sold QSM to an outfit called Brookfield Properties. In fact, Brookfield now lists QSM on their website." So, El Chico will move to Hu Hot unless they changed their mind.

cappa
10-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Went up there a couple days ago and yes El Chico is closed. There is a sign on the door that says something along the lines of "We will miss you. Please visit our other locations" so not sure if they are or aren't planning to reopen in Quail.

jn1780
10-18-2019, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure they just decided to close that location. It was never busy. El Chico in general has been on slow decline.

Joe Kimball
10-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Crazy. i was just there a couple of weeks ago for the lunch enchiladas. I didn't know those would be my last!

Like them or not, they were a nostalgic holdover that could be appreciated in their own right. They were also noteworthy for having the only bar in the mall.

Pete
10-24-2019, 11:36 AM
^
Yeah, it was kind of cool space and I really wish they would just relocate.

However, Round 1 will have a huge bar when it opens.

crs4380
02-10-2020, 03:58 PM
I've read sources that Round 1 will be coming to OKC later this year in the fall. Can anyone confirm that to be true? I haven't seen any other mall tenants leave (other than el chico) for the space that Round 1 is set to take over.

jn1780
02-10-2020, 06:07 PM
I've read sources that Round 1 will be coming to OKC later this year in the fall. Can anyone confirm that to be true? I haven't seen any other mall tenants leave (other than el chico) for the space that Round 1 is set to take over.

Shoe dept co is the only one in the way now and they are about to move. Everyone one else has cleared out. Work on moving the entrance has started.

crs4380
02-10-2020, 10:26 PM
Shoe dept co is the only one in the way now and they are about to move. Everyone one else has cleared out. Work on moving the entrance has started.

Gap and vans already moved?

jn1780
02-11-2020, 07:17 AM
Gap and vans already moved?

Vans moved. Gap closed.

bucktalk
02-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Went to the movies at Quail AMC 24 last night. Walking through the mall has such a strange feel to it. I realize it's going through changes but nevertheless it felt so abandoned. If I had a retail space there you'd have to convince me strongly to stay even though upcoming improvements are supposedly the fix all to a abandoned mall. Good luck Quail Springs...you need it.

Pete
02-11-2020, 07:35 AM
^

Keep in mind this is the slowest time of the year for retail.

Round 1 will help a lot and I believe they have some other deals working.

crs4380
02-11-2020, 03:17 PM
oh wow, I just went there today and all the stores moved.