View Full Version : Snooze

jonny d
04-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Not sure if this needs its own thread (if not, feel free to merge). Apparently Snooze A.M. is looking at opening in OKC where Deep Fork Grill stands.

https://newsok.com/article/5628244/breaking-old-germany-announces-closing

Mballard85
04-09-2019, 03:17 PM
I had just read this and was also curious, I have never been to a Snooze that wasnt swamped, so this would be a huge get for the area.

okatty
04-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Oh wow...Snooze is awesome. Have been in both Boulder and Denver and it's great. Pretty similar to Hatch.

CloudDeckMedia
04-09-2019, 03:21 PM
That's the wrong side of the street for a breakfast place.

jonny d
04-09-2019, 03:54 PM
That's the wrong side of the street for a breakfast place.

I think since it is more of a sit down place, it won't have as much of an effect.

midtownokcer
04-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Love Snooze, but they're a little late to the game. Better late than never. The OKC brunch scene has stepped up with places like Neighborhood Jam, Hatch, Aurora, etc. Wasn't it just a few years ago that we tried to get them to open in Uptown (which would've been a much better location than this one IMO) but they were focused on expanding in other areas?

josh
04-09-2019, 06:53 PM
There are two in San Antonio. I’ve eaten there before, it’s decent I guess, but there are a few brunch spots here that are superior to it.

Pete
04-09-2019, 07:08 PM
A few years ago, Snooze was actively looking here. I know the Pivot Project guys really wanted them in the Tower; where Scotties is now plus some extra space.

But they didn't pull the trigger and Hatch and Neighborhood Jam stepped up and emulated their model in their own way.

They have been looking at the OKC market for a while.

Pete
04-15-2019, 04:38 AM
Popular breakfast spot eyeing OKC (https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=609-Popular-breakfast-spot-eyeing-OKC)

Plans have been drawn for a new development at I-44 and Western that may include 2 new-to-market restaurants.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze041119c.jpg

Based in Denver, Snooze has been considering the Oklahoma City market for several years and is now close to opening its first operation here.

Founded by brothers Jon an Adam Schlegal in 2006, the eatery brought on a new CEO from Panera Bread in 2012 and received a large capital infusion in 2016 and has since seen aggressive expansion.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze1.jpg

Snooze brings a fun casual atmosphere to breakfast and brunch with a unique menu and a strong emphasis on cocktails and a full bar.

The restaurant has been a bit of sensation, drawing large crowds and high revenues even though it only operates 8 hours a day, typically 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM.

Current locations can be found in Colorado, California, Arizona, Texas and coming soon to Kansas City and Charlotte.

The proposed site was formerly home to Deep Fork Grill which closed in July of 2017.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze041119ja.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze041119h.jpg

Also included in the development plans is Postino Wine Cafe, based in Phoenix.

With 9 locations in Arizona, Colorado, and Texas, Postino offers a variety of small plates, boards, bruschetta, soups, salads and sandwiches along with a large wine selection.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze041119e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/postino2.jpg

Both restaurants would be the first locations in Oklahoma and the space between the two is currently being marketed for lease.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/snooze041119b.jpg

Mballard85
04-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Does this mean Snooze is a little more official than it was this time last week?

Pete
04-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Does this mean Snooze is a little more official than it was this time last week?

This project has been out there for months. It previously showed Shake Shack as the center tenant, and I knew that wasn't happening, so I held everything.

The latest version shows that space for rent.

I was told that as of a few weeks ago Snooze has not yet fully committed. But obviously, the developers are planning on them heavily.

Timshel
04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
It previously showed Shake Shack as the center tenant, and I knew that wasn't happening, so I held everything.

Hmmmm - know it's not happening here because you know it's happening somewhere else?? Not asking you to divulge information you're currently unable to, but this makes me optimistic for some local Shake Shack in the near future!

Hopefully this development comes to fruition as planned - looks like it will be a good upgrade and makes sense for the area.

Pete
04-15-2019, 09:38 AM
I know that Shake Shack is not looking in this market at all, so when I saw all those names I knew it was very conceptual.

Every single developer in town is chasing them and they are not getting the time of day.

jonny d
04-15-2019, 09:50 AM
I know that Shake Shack is not looking in this market at all, so when I saw all those names I knew it was very conceptual.

Every single developer in town is chasing them and they are not getting the time of day.

I wonder why? Are they that uppity, or is the market too saturated with burger joints? They would do well, and they are in plenty of smaller markets.

Pete
04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
There just aren't that many locations in the center of the country.

I'm sure it's a matter of high priority markets.

Timshel
04-15-2019, 10:00 AM

Well darn. Saw their branding in the Penn Central rendering and thought that would be a good spot. Last I'll say as I don't want to inadvertently hijack the thread but it's surprising to me that neither Shake Shack or In-and-Out have made it to OKC yet. Both have been around long enough and expanded enough to where I would think they have the scale and experience to easily succeed in our market, especially given our propensity to enjoy fast food. Too bad that's not the case though, as Shake Shack is my favorite of the high-quality fast food chains.

BoulderSooner
04-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Well darn. Saw their branding in the Penn Central rendering and thought that would be a good spot. Last I'll say as I don't want to inadvertently hijack the thread but it's surprising to me that neither Shake Shack or In-and-Out have made it to OKC yet. Both have been around long enough and expanded enough to where I would think they have the scale and experience to easily succeed in our market, especially given our propensity to enjoy fast food. Too bad that's not the case though, as Shake Shack is my favorite of the high-quality fast food chains.

in-n-out is coming to OKC it is just a matter of time. when they build their Dallas Distro in put OKC in the 300 mile range .. they are building out texas but Oklahoma will follow

Pete
04-15-2019, 10:49 AM

That Penn Central signage was all just made up. And if you look closely, it says 'Shack Shake'. Architects often use names like that as holding spots.

mugofbeer
04-15-2019, 11:02 AM
I've eaten at snooze several times at a South Denver metro location and it's OK. It's expensive for what you get and I think Beverly's or Jimmy's Egg in OKC or Eggington's in Edmond are just as good.

catch22
04-15-2019, 11:12 AM
I've eaten at snooze several times at a South Denver metro location and it's OK. It's expensive for what you get and I think Beverly's or Jimmy's Egg in OKC or Eggington's in Edmond are just as good.

Agree. I love breakfast but have never been a fan of the new “hip” breakfast joints. Very expensive for the portions. For what it’s worth, Neighborhood Jam is better than Snooze. But I’d take Jimmy’s Egg or Denny’s any day over any new “hip” breakfast joint.

PhiAlpha
04-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Snooze is solid. I’m excited about this but not as excited as I would’ve been before the arrival of places like Hatch, Sunnyside, etc. Still a great get for our market.

TeeDub2
04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
The everything bacon sensation sandwich at Snooze may be one of my favorite breakfast foods and I think about it often. I get it every time I'm in Denver now.

Also, Postino is a such a cool place in Denver and would be a great get for OKC!

soonermike81
04-17-2019, 07:11 AM
I’m not really a breakfast guy, but I am pretty excited about this. My wife always wants breakfast/brunch, and i can get on board here. The one time that we went in Denver , we waited for an hour to get seated. I was pretty irritated and I already made up my mind before I ate. After the food came out, I remember being very happy. Can’t remember exactly what I had, I think a tower of some sort. I just remember it being pretty unique and very flavorful. If breakfast is just eggs, sausage, and toast I get pretty bored with it. I think they will do very well in okc.

TheirTheir
04-17-2019, 07:44 AM
This would of course do well in OKC, regardless of the other numerous breakfast/brunch spots that have opened up in the past few years. Once people hear that it's from Denver and remember that their sister's brother-in-law was talking about it last Thanksgiving, they will come in droves.

BG918
04-17-2019, 01:36 PM
This would of course do well in OKC, regardless of the other numerous breakfast/brunch spots that have opened up in the past few years. Once people hear that it's from Denver and remember that their sister's brother-in-law was talking about it last Thanksgiving, they will come in droves.

I’ll give Denver credit they really excel in a few areas: brunch places, food halls and breweries. That being said there are several other brunch places there that are better than Snooze, IMO.

susandter
06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
I think Snooze is fabulous! I've eaten there several times in San Diego! It blows anything we have here out of the water!

fromdust
06-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Ive never even heard of Shake Shack until I saw it mentioned on this board. I'll be in Manila in a couple of weeks and hopefully the 1 I saw them working on a few months ago will be open and I'll get to see what the hype is about. Probably over hyped like this board tends to do.

FighttheGoodFight
06-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Snooze is amazing. Can't wait.

soonerguru
07-01-2019, 11:39 PM
Ive never even heard of Shake Shack until I saw it mentioned on this board. I'll be in Manila in a couple of weeks and hopefully the 1 I saw them working on a few months ago will be open and I'll get to see what the hype is about. Probably over hyped like this board tends to do.

The only Shake Shack I can truly vouch for is the original location in Madison Park in the Gramercy / Flatiron District. I did eat at one of the chain locations on the Upper East Side and while it was very good, it clearly wasn’t up to the original. Still, it’s way better than In and Out and Five Guys at even the knockoff spots.

jbkrems
08-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Anyone know if there has been any progress on this project? The For Lease commercial real estate signs are still up on the property.

okcbruncher
09-29-2019, 08:43 PM
As of right now Snooze has passed on that location and is looking for other locations in OKC, specifically around the Nichols Hills area.

jbkrems
09-30-2019, 11:49 AM
okcbruncher, how do you know that?

thunderbird
09-30-2019, 02:55 PM

I mean, their handle is OKCBRUNCHER - I'd be upset if they didn't know this. :wink:

If true, I'm always excited for more places to eat around my house as it's hard for us to get far from home these days with all these dang kids.

Pete
09-30-2019, 04:57 PM

okcbruncher knows. Trust me.

LakeEffect
10-01-2019, 09:58 AM
After hitting a Houston location twice a couple weeks ago, I can't say I get the love? Compared to OKC's homegrown options...

Is it just the vibe, and makes us feel like we've "made it" because we have a national chain that's only in a few big cities? It wasn't bad, by any means, but it wasn't out of this world.

Mballard85
10-01-2019, 10:09 AM
After hitting a Houston location twice a couple weeks ago, I can't say I get the love? Compared to OKC's homegrown options...

Is it just the vibe, and makes us feel like we've "made it" because we have a national chain that's only in a few big cities? It wasn't bad, by any means, but it wasn't out of this world.

From what I can tell, a lot of our local options are based loosely off of Snooze.

Pete
10-01-2019, 10:12 AM
From what I can tell, a lot of our local options are based loosely off of Snooze.

Yes, particularly Hatch and Neighborhood Jam.

SoonerDave
10-17-2019, 05:15 PM
My son and I ate at a Snooze in Dallas just east of the North Central Expressway, and it was very good. Not **great**, but very good.

I had a three-egg omelette that was on a par with what I'd get from Jimmy's Egg, but the Jimmy's Egg version is better and less expensive. Snooze serves their omelette with a "round" disk of hash browns and your choice of bread, but again, the Jimmy's Egg version is a *much* more generous portion. A nitpick for me was that my English muffin was served with an odd-tasting jelly I didn't care for, and was later told it was a "fig-walnut" mix. I asked if I could just get some plain grape or raspberry jelly, but was told "that's our only jelly option." Left me with a rather dry muffin.��

My son had the " French Toast Neat, " served on Brioche bread and with fresh, warm maple syrup. It was really good.

I would have been interested in trying a single side pancake, but as a side that pancake was listed at $5.25!! I opted against it.

Overall, Snooze was very nice, very trendy, and generally good, but I think we have several local options that are already excellent and hold up vs Snooze very well.

OkiePoke
10-18-2019, 07:44 AM
My son and I ate at a Snooze in Dallas just east of the North Central Expressway, and it was very good. Not **great**, but very good.

I had a three-egg omelette that was on a par with what I'd get from Jimmy's Egg, but the Jimmy's Egg version is better and less expensive. Snooze serves their omelette with a "round" disk of hash browns and your choice of bread, but again, the Jimmy's Egg version is a *much* more generous portion. A nitpick for me was that my English muffin was served with an odd-tasting jelly I didn't care for, and was later told it was a "fig-walnut" mix. I asked if I could just get some plain grape or raspberry jelly, but was told "that's our only jelly option." Left me with a rather dry muffin.��

My son had the " French Toast Neat, " served on Brioche bread and with fresh, warm maple syrup. It was really good.

I would have been interested in trying a single side pancake, but as a side that pancake was listed at $5.25!! I opted against it.

Overall, Snooze was very nice, very trendy, and generally good, but I think we have several local options that are already excellent and hold up vs Snooze very well.

If brioche isn't used, is it really french bread? I recently made some french bread at home with brioche, holy cow, it was good. Not sure I can ever use my wheat bread again.